PDA

View Full Version : Isn't everyone an Independent now?

Rollo
26th October 2009, 23:28
With the walkout of Vauxhall after 15 years, what becomes of the Independent's Cup? Because without any prima facie manufacturer involvement, that means by default that everyone is an independent.

Does this mean that we'll end up with some sort of weird "Team's Cup" in place of what was the Manufacturer's Cup?

tisme
26th October 2009, 23:40
With the walkout of Vauxhall after 15 years, what becomes of the Independent's Cup? Because without any prima facie manufacturer involvement, that means by default that everyone is an independent.

Does this mean that we'll end up with some sort of weird "Team's Cup" in place of what was the Manufacturer's Cup?

As Vauxhall won the BTCC at their first attempt.... in 1989! My calculations make it that they have been in the BTCC for the past 20 YEARS! http://www.btccpages.com/news/1/1616/Stars-to-gather-as-Vauxhall-says-goodbye-to-BTCC/

And as there is already a 'Teams Championship'. (nothing weird about that!) There has been no confirmation about a 'Constructors title' to replace the 'Manufacturers title'.

Assuming there will be no manufacturers entering the 2010 championship.

LiamM
27th October 2009, 08:36
Someones asked Alan Gow on the official forum

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8528

Mark
27th October 2009, 09:45
Well there's no reason why there can't be a 'makes' championship, purely based on the manufacturer company of the car they are driving.

Unlike on the Gow forum I don't see why it has to be as complicated as nominating drivers, just use the points they score already. If a particular make wins because they have more cars in the field, fair dos!

mattie007
27th October 2009, 17:41
Something similar to this season would be good. Let all the big teams enter though, not just ones who have built/developed there own cars.

Ford - Team AON
BMW - RAC
Chevrolet - RML
Honda - TD
Vauxhall - 888
SEAT - ??
MG - ??
Alfa - ??

VkmSpouge
27th October 2009, 19:45
I guess the Independents' Cup and Independents' Team Championship will disappear next season without any manufacturers arriving. I guess the Manufacturers' Championship can be replaced by a Marques' Championship or Constructors' Championship, though I don't see a problem with just having a Drivers' and Teams' Championships.

LiamM
27th October 2009, 21:14
I agree with Vkm, if everyone is an independent then there is no need for a different championship, just drivers and teams (or whatever you wanna call it).

What would be good though is to see those BTC-Spec cars awarded with something, they are never going be able to compete for outright honours, so why should they be included? I'd have a Drivers and Teams and a BTC Drivers and Teams championship run rather like the overall and independents were this year. The BTC championship doesnt need as much publicity but a bit of recognition for what those guys do would be better