PDA

View Full Version : Pull the bias lever?

AndyL
23rd October 2009, 15:19
I forgot to post about this after the Brazil race: when Button was having trouble passing Kobayashi, we heard his engineer telling him over the radio to "pull the bias lever" in the final corner. Martin Brundle speculated that this was some kind of code that we were not meant to know the meaning of. Anyone care to guess what was meant?
Could be something to do with brake bias, but why would you adjust that in the final turn (rather than on the straight), and surely it's not controlled by pulling a lever anyway? In fact I can't think of much in an F1 car that is controlled like that apart from gears and clutch, perhaps that's why Martin Brundle thought it was a code of some sort.

wedge
23rd October 2009, 16:01
Brake bias? That's not really a lever, its a dial.

Everything else, even roll bars are adjusted on the steering wheel.

I don't particularly remember this. Did he adjust something mid-corner or was it a delayed radio tranmission that was heard mid-corner?

AndyL
23rd October 2009, 16:06
What Andrew Shovlin said was something like "remember to pull the bias lever in the final corner". I didn't put the other bit in the quotes because I can't quite remember the exact words used other than "pull the bias lever".

Sonic
23rd October 2009, 16:32
I have no facts to base this on other than my observations - but the Brawn brake bias adjuster does appear to be a chunky lever down by the left hip. All season the drivers (esp rubens) have been moving something around down there. I guessed brake bias but the radio traffic all but confirmed that theory in my mind.

AndyL
23rd October 2009, 17:23
I have no facts to base this on other than my observations - but the Brawn brake bias adjuster does appear to be a chunky lever down by the left hip. All season the drivers (esp rubens) have been moving something around down there. I guessed brake bias but the radio traffic all but confirmed that theory in my mind.

That must be it then, good observation. Probably just adjusting the brake bias ready for a hairy outbraking manoeuvre at the end of the straight.

Mark
26th October 2009, 09:25
A cynic might suggest it was to control the commentators.

leopard
26th October 2009, 10:22
Yeah, I'd rather define it that way, be responsible for your actions and inaction. Maintain a personal code in the situation at hand. Listen for advice, but be confident in making your own decision. Use your instinct...

Mark
26th October 2009, 11:00
Yeah, I'd rather define it that way, be responsible for your actions and inaction. Maintain a personal code in the situation at hand. Listen for advice, but be confident in making your own decision. Use your instinct...

Or just adjust the front wing :)

Dave B
26th October 2009, 11:18
Is Jean Todt fitted with a bias lever?

Big Ben
26th October 2009, 12:13
I thought he said pull my finger.

AndyL
26th October 2009, 12:14
A cynic might suggest it was to control the commentators.

:D very good

Garry Walker
26th October 2009, 17:32
This is very surprising. A remark from you that I actually find amusing.

leopard
27th October 2009, 03:01
Or just adjust the front wing :)
perhaps, just notice that driver can adjust the front wing while driving...

UltimateDanGTR
27th October 2009, 08:48

if he has one, and we will find out next year, then it would most certainly be jammed towards Ferrari!

TheFamousEccles
27th October 2009, 10:51
I thought he said "pull the Nos lever" ;)

schmenke
27th October 2009, 14:04
As far as I know, according to F1 regulations adjusting the brake bias is only permitted via a mechanical device, i.e. a lever.