PDA

View Full Version : Button for Mclaren?

f1kid1987
23rd October 2009, 13:04
Button could be in the line for the second seat at Mclaren. Button and Hamiltion the two last world champions could be a intreseting combo. Read more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8322334.stm

Your thoughts please?

Koz
23rd October 2009, 13:14
Looks good, sounds good.

It's unlikely Brawn will ever deliver again as they did this season without Honda funding.

And this gives the rest of us a chance to see if Button is that good or if it was all just billion dollar Honda magic.

Mark
23rd October 2009, 13:30
Interesting, that's the reason he hasn't signed for Brawn yet then.
It'll likely be bad for Button however, I can't see any other outcome than him being spanked by Hamilton!

Triumph
23rd October 2009, 13:43
I've just read this on the BBC F1 site too.

My first thoughts were that Button would surely know that he wouldn't be able to beat Hamilton in an equal car. If Alonso wasn't able to then Button cetainly won't be able to.

I'd prefer to see Button stay with Brawn, so as to spread the British driver representation out a bit. Then it increases the chances of another British F1 success.

:-)

F1boat
23rd October 2009, 14:09
We have to wait and see what will happen. I think that Jenson will surprise many people if he feels good in the car. I heard also rumours that in 2011 McLaren will have their own engine. Can this be a plan for all-British racing team?

wedge
23rd October 2009, 14:14
BRING IT ON!

SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE!

Kovy can't drive the car on the absolute limit and we all know how precious Button's driving style is. Button will get spanked.

AndyL
23rd October 2009, 14:35
I can't see Button really wanting this. It's hard to think of two more different drivers - there's no way McLaren can build a car to suit them both, and you know which driver would get the nod. This is just a negotiating tactic surely.

Sonic
23rd October 2009, 15:06
IIRC the last british WDC who was out of a job at the end of his championship winning year (ok I know Jens is not out on his ear yet, but play along) was also linked to McLaren. Damon eventually took the number 1 to arrows. Could history be about to repeat? Brawn refuse the pay rise, McLaren were just playing Button along to convince Kimi that his pay demands were too high when another WDC was available, and Jenson ends up at Williams! |tranger things have happened.

pino
23rd October 2009, 15:46
Button should stay at Brown, McLaren next year again will be focused on Lewis only, so it would be suicide to go there.

N. Jones
23rd October 2009, 15:48
I think this may be bad for Button too. It may really be bad for McLaren if the car is bad, as both drivers do their best in a good car!

Roamy
23rd October 2009, 16:16
Button should stay at Brown, McLaren next year again will be focused on Lewis only, so it would be suicide to go there.

yes and I assume that is why Kimi has not signed with them

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd October 2009, 18:49
Am I the only one who think this move is purely speculation.

Button hasn't agreed a contract yet with Brawn + McLaren have a spare seat = Button must be going to McLaren!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Stuartf12007
23rd October 2009, 19:08
I'd love to see Button humiliate the cocky Hamilton while being in the same team

keysersoze
23rd October 2009, 21:18
If I were Jenson and was offered a contract at McLaren, I'd take it.

1. Brawn will not have a rules "advantage" next year. Ross is clever--no doubt--but so is Adrian Newey, and Ferrari and McLaren are also sure-bets to stay near the top. I do not see Brawn as a top car next year--perhaps 4th or 5th.
2. McLaren have proven time and again that they are the ONLY team that can spend its way out of a lousy car, but,
3. They usually get it right the first time. What's more,
4. Now toward the latter part of his career, Jenson will be unable to make the kind of money he was making 3 years ago much longer, and Brawn will be hard-pressed to use his meager resources to pay Button WDC-type money.
5. If Hamilton beats him, it won't be by much, and he will provide McLaren more than enough in terms of results to justify keeping him on for several years, perhaps making an 8-figure salary to help Hamilton to more WDCs and McLaren to more WCCs. In other words, the worst case scenario is that he gets to be the de facto #2, win races every now and then, and make a boat-load of dough. That may not happen at Brawn.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2009, 22:55
It'll likely be bad for Button however, I can't see any other outcome than him being spanked by Hamilton!

It will be a very interesting match-up. Bernie is already heading towards the bank!! :p :

maximilian
23rd October 2009, 23:54
Button would make a great #2! :D

Roamy
24th October 2009, 03:30
button will probably go for the money. Brawn ain't paying very well and I imagine Mcl will step up

ShiftingGears
24th October 2009, 08:38
I'd love to see Button humiliate the cocky Hamilton while being in the same team

And if Button goes to McLaren, prepare to be disappointed.

harsha
24th October 2009, 11:27

yeah,

and I assume that Mclaren are looking at bringing in rookies like Sutil , Rosberg too aside from Kimi and now Button.

I feel that Button should stick to Brawn where he's prolly not gonna get spanked by any team mate rather than having his arse handed to him by Lewis.

Stuartf12007
24th October 2009, 13:13
And if Button goes to McLaren, prepare to be disappointed.

I am gonna hold you to your quote.

ShiftingGears
24th October 2009, 13:21

Fine.

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2009, 16:36
Button should stay at Brown

I didn't know I had Button!

:p

F1boat
24th October 2009, 18:27

I think that if this happens there will be no humiliation, just two fast drivers, fighting for the WDC.

Mark
26th October 2009, 11:48
I didn't know I had Button!

:p

Don't be stupid :rolleyes:

He meant Gordon Brown :cool:

Big Ben
26th October 2009, 12:16
I think Button would be a decent 2nd driver. They would have the good old button to get the points whenever LH pushes the worng button.

Garry Walker
26th October 2009, 17:37

At what? You have to specify. Poker? Dancing? Singing?
If you mean at racing F1 cars, then I think the only humiliation involved would be when Hamilton laps Button.

Hold me too.

UltimateDanGTR
26th October 2009, 19:00
button going to macca would be stupid. Button knows the brawn boys and they work well together. and button will certainly lose reputation when in the same car as Hamilton............

leopard
27th October 2009, 03:14
and button will certainly lose reputation when in the same car as Hamilton............
hehehe how do this can you say... I'd rather think the opposite, driving alongside Hamilton we will find Button drives the car very slow, slower than Nissan... ;)

UltimateDanGTR
27th October 2009, 08:46
hehehe how do this can you say... I'd rather think the opposite, driving alongside Hamilton we will find Button drives the car very slow, slower than Nissan... ;)

you misunderstand. Button would lose reputation as team mate of lewis because lewis would whip his ass ;)

F1boat
27th October 2009, 09:10
you misunderstand. Button would lose reputation as team mate of lewis because lewis would whip his ass ;)

We well see. Too often forumers were very surprised by the outcomes of teammate battles. People expected Alonso to be clear Nu1 at McLaren, but he wasn't. People expected Kimi to destroy Felipe and he didn't. People were sure that Vettel will finish Webber's career and while Seb was a bit faster, Webbo was certanly not miles behind him, despite his injuries at the beginning of the season. So while it is understandable to expect that Lewis will beat Jenson, these things may depend on the car handling, setup, consistency, etc. In the end it may be very close if - and this is a very big IF - Jenson goes to McLaren Mercedes.

leopard
27th October 2009, 09:26
agree, thanks :)

Mark
27th October 2009, 09:41
button going to macca would be stupid. Button knows the brawn boys and they work well together. and button will certainly lose reputation when in the same car as Hamilton............

Tight squeeze.

UltimateDanGTR
27th October 2009, 10:33
We well see. Too often forumers were very surprised by the outcomes of teammate battles. People expected Alonso to be clear Nu1 at McLaren, but he wasn't. People expected Kimi to destroy Felipe and he didn't. People were sure that Vettel will finish Webber's career and while Seb was a bit faster, Webbo was certanly not miles behind him, despite his injuries at the beginning of the season. So while it is understandable to expect that Lewis will beat Jenson, these things may depend on the car handling, setup, consistency, etc. In the end it may be very close if - and this is a very big IF - Jenson goes to McLaren Mercedes.

well this is very fair, maybe i would be made to eat my words? But in my view, Button wont be going to Macca anyway, so we will never know! or will i eat my words in that as well? :)

oh, and i apologize for using the word 'certainly' in my post above without any IMO. an Ioanism maybe?

anyhoo, I want Kimi at Macca-him and hammy will be on fire together! I hope.

F1boat
27th October 2009, 10:37
well this is very fair, maybe i would be made to eat my words? But in my view, Button wont be going to Macca anyway, so we will never know! or will i eat my words in that as well? :)

oh, and i apologize for using the word 'certainly' in my post above without any IMO. an Ioanism maybe?

anyhoo, I want Kimi at Macca-him and hammy will be on fire together! I hope.

As Kimi would say, we have to wait and see what happens ;)

UltimateDanGTR
27th October 2009, 14:38
As Kimi would say, we have to wait and see what happens ;)

would he say that though, because he usually says nothing........... :D

harsha
28th October 2009, 20:48
Ross Brawn confident that Button will stay @ Brawn

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/drivers/current-field/jenson-button/brawn-99-sure-button-will-stay/

F1boat
28th October 2009, 21:39
Ross Brawn confident that Button will stay @ Brawn

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/drivers/current-field/jenson-button/brawn-99-sure-button-will-stay/

LOL, they found a lot of money, obviously.

truefan72
29th October 2009, 15:28

so i take it is suicide for Massa to stay at Ferrari

or for Nico to sign with Brawn

or for anyone to sign for the second seat at Renault, now that Kubica is there

give me a break, If kimi signs with Mclaren, he's getting equal treatment.

May i remind you that Alonso got equal treatment in 2007 ( no matter what he thinks) and both cars where virtually tied in points and wins, and they theoretically won the WCC, and any one of them should/could have won the WDC. So any driver in the world would be overjoyed at the opportunity to be in that position.

..oh and if kimi signs for Toyota, I guess it will be suicide for glock or kobayashi right?

F1boat
29th October 2009, 15:36
..oh and if kimi signs for Toyota, I guess it will be suicide for glock or kobayashi right?

I think that the correct term is seppuku. But unlike you, I definetly think that there was something fishy in the "Basically we were fighting Fernando team". But that's a very old argument and probably will never be resolved. I think that now, when Ron is gone, the team might give equal treatment to its drivers, but I am still not sure as Lewis is their kid, right from the start, while Jenson would be a new boy in town and Kimi... a traitor.

Firstgear
29th October 2009, 16:17
So if Button goes to Mac next year, does he take the #1 (on the car) with him?

And if so, will we see #1 on Hamilton's car next year, or on Button's?

I wouldn't be happy to see Button bring the #1 over, and be driving car #2 next year.

ArrowsFA1
29th October 2009, 16:25
So if Button goes to Mac next year, does he take the #1 (on the car) with him?
Yes. Button will carry the #1 whether he's driving for Brawn, McLaren, or any of the other F1 teams.

Dave B
29th October 2009, 17:10
And his team-mate would be #2, no matter where they finish this year. Remember the somewhat incongruous sight of the likable but hapless Pedro Diniz sporting such a low number when partnering Damon Hill at Arrows?

truefan72
30th October 2009, 11:41
And his team-mate would be #2, no matter where they finish this year. Remember the somewhat incongruous sight of the likable but hapless Pedro Diniz sporting such a low number when partnering Damon Hill at Arrows?
lol I remember

yeah, if button were at Mclaren then he will be#1 and Hamilton #2

if not I think they are looking good for #5,#6 if Hamilton wins or podiums in Yas Marina.

But it looks like Button will be at brawn and good for them will get to use the coveted #1, 2 for their cars.

F1boat
30th October 2009, 16:46
But it looks like Button will be at brawn and good for them will get to use the coveted #1, 2 for their cars.

I agree.