PDA

View Full Version : Renault to Sell - Stay as engine supplier

Roamy
23rd October 2009, 03:34
probably not a bad idea. Probably Flavio still owns supertech which is the engine company

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2009, 04:00
probably not a bad idea. Probably Flavio still owns supertech which is the engine company

Link Please!

harsha
23rd October 2009, 04:06
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-renault-to-sell-team-stay-as-engine-supplier/

Renault may be considering the sale of its Enstone based Formula One team but staying on the grid as an engine supplier only.

That is according to the Swiss publication Motorsport Aktuell, while naming two prospective buyers for the French carmaker's team.

One buyer was identified as Gerard Lopez, co-founder of venture capital firm Mangrove, and the other a Russian by the name of Andrej Krajnik, who is linked with the existing Renault sponsor Megafon.

F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper before leaving Brazil last weekend that he "just talked to a guy who wants to buy one of the teams".

The Renault F1 team has certainly had a tumultuous year. It was at the center of controversy this season after being accused in the ‘crash-gate’ scandal. Former driver Nelson Piquet Jr. revealed that he was told to crash deliberately at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, a move that allowed teammate Fernando Alonso to win.

Flamboyant team Boss Flavio Briatore parted ways with the team shortly before a hearing was held on the affair. In the end Briatore was banned from the sport ‘for life’, former engineer Pat Symonds for five years and the team was placed on a ‘suspended’ ban for two years.

leopard
23rd October 2009, 04:21
FB or anyone makes mistakes in the sport deserves punishment, but ban for life I'd rather consider it excessive. I get feeling that he will get something like clemency, if the mistakes are unforgivable the penalty may be lessened.

F1 needs flamboyant boss like Flavio, and we should not prevent someone with high concern from entering the sport. Renault can withdraw team involvement in the sport, but keep supplying engine for the sport will enable them keep updated. Returning back is only a matter of time...

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2009, 05:53
FB or anyone makes mistakes in the sport deserves punishment, but ban for life I'd rather consider it excessive. I get feeling that he will get something like clemency, if the mistakes are unforgivable the penalty may be lessened.

I am sure that if Sleazy Flav went and shot Max, which is unforgivable, we can all go and ask Bang Bang on his birthday to lessen his penalty. I think that's how it works in Indonesia.

Roamy
23rd October 2009, 07:50
flav owns the engine company - he ain't going anywhere

Mark
23rd October 2009, 08:11
It's a sensible position for Renault to be in. Now that manufacturers supplying up to 4 teams is becoming the norm, they do better to have their name on lots of cars as an engine supplier, and can exploit that fully. Rather than the potential embarrassment of Red Bull beating the works Renault team which is seen as somewhat of a failure of the Renault team rather than a success story for the Renault engine.

leopard
24th October 2009, 16:00
It's a sensible position for Renault to be in. Now that manufacturers supplying up to 4 teams is becoming the norm, they do better to have their name on lots of cars as an engine supplier, and can exploit that fully. Rather than the potential embarrassment of Red Bull beating the works Renault team which is seen as somewhat of a failure of the Renault team rather than a success story for the Renault engine.
this makes all kinds of sense...

Nikki Katz
24th October 2009, 20:48
I hope that they don't pull out altogether, there needs to be several engine manufacturers, and it already looks like we're losing BMW. And lots of teams have cheated in the past.

Malbec
24th October 2009, 21:39

Flav's company doesn't supply F1 engines, it supplies GP2. Renault F1's engine dept is owned by Renault and is based in France. It does make sense for Renault to pull out and keep supplying engines though, they'll probably get as much exposure without the negatives of having its name dragged through the mud via scandals.

anthonyvop
25th October 2009, 00:06
they'll probably get as much exposure without the negatives of having its name dragged through the mud via scandals.
Tell that to Mercedes

Stuartf12007
25th October 2009, 01:03
Flavio owns the engines inside the Ranualt formula one cars?,

I doubt that very much.

Malbec
25th October 2009, 16:39
Tell that to Mercedes

Mercedes is a part owner of McLaren, a mere engine supplier gets less exposure, both positive and negative.

gloomyDAY
25th October 2009, 20:16
Flav's company doesn't supply F1 engines, it supplies GP2. Renault F1's engine dept is owned by Renault and is based in France. It does make sense for Renault to pull out and keep supplying engines though, they'll probably get as much exposure without the negatives of having its name dragged through the mud via scandals.I thought their engine program was designed by Renault in France and built by Mecachrome in Canada. :confused:

Malbec
26th October 2009, 19:18
I thought their engine program was designed by Renault in France and built by Mecachrome in Canada. :confused:

No idea where Mecachrome is based but I would have thought they were based in France too since Flav bought up parts of the old Renault operation.

Current Renault engines are designed/built in Viry-Chatillon, France. Flav doesn't have anything to do with them.

JasonD
26th October 2009, 20:29
Renault designs the engines and Mecachrome builds them, though it is a little murky if the builds take place in Canada or France.

http://newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2007/22/c3387.html