PDA

View Full Version : FIA Elections: Todt Wins

SGWilko
21st October 2009, 14:53
Interesting few snippets on Autosport (probably the subscription part) that suggests Todt's people have been more than a little pursuasive with their rallying round. The suggestion being that one of the African clubs was told that their overdue fees would be dealt with through 'sponsorship' if the vote was given to Todt.....

The paper that originally ran the story has phone records proving the conversations took place, despite denials from those concerned.

Looks like Jean has more in common with Max than we give him credit for.

A vote for him would be a vote for 'more of the same' please, so it would appear.

ArrowsFA1
21st October 2009, 14:57
An interesting read:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_print_article.php?fes_art_id=39293

SGWilko
21st October 2009, 15:21
Off the track, all talk was of the upcoming presidential election on Friday. Predictably, things were turning mucky.

Ari Vatanen had already gone public with his concerns about the vote being truly anonymous and his worries that were it not, certain clubs might be intimidated by the potential repercussions of voting for the 'wrong' man. Word is Vatanen had been ejected from Max Mosley's office the previous week when things became heated, the FIA hitting back by saying that the voting procedure was well established and Vatanen should know that.

The former rally champion sought legal advice and, in a subsequent letter to Mosley, wrote: "I believe it is my obligation to officially state that the campaign for the Presidency of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile is not taking place in accordance with the principle of neutrality which should apply."

Vatanen went on to state his case as to why, and closed by saying that he was "in possession of all of the evidence to support the reality of the facts stated above." He added: "In addition, I further reserve all right to take action on account of the acts previously committed against me."

This, you might interpret as Vatanen letting it be known that should he lose Friday's election he will seek legal recourse.

Meantime, both sides continue to let us know who is in their corner. At Interlagos, for example, Jean Todt and Team told us they had the full support of the legendary Pele.

"Oh well then, that's it, all over..." laughed one wizened hack. "I guess that if we look in our inboxes in a couple of minutes we'll find out that Eusebio and Ferenc Puskas support Vatanen..."

One Vatanen fan with a sense of humour, added: "Pele? Well, that's good. When they let him loose with the chequered flag here in '01, he waved it at Nick Heidfeld instead of David Coulthard, so hopefully he's got the wrong bloke again..."

But it all turned a bit more serious on race day when the Mail on Sunday ran a story alleging that amid an unexpectedly close contest, accusations of intimidation by one of Todt's main supporters has arisen.

Ari Vatanen at Rally Catalunya © LAT
The paper alleged that Jack Wavamunno, founder president of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs in Uganda, claimed that Surinder Thatthi, who is on the Todt ticket to become FIA Sport vice-president of the FIA, made 'veiled threats' to him in telephone calls on the day after nominations for the election were announced.

Wavamunno, who is standing against Thatthi for election as Africa's representative on to the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC), claimed that his rival phoned him twice on August 29. In the first call, Wavamunno alleges that he was told that standing against Thatthi and supporting Vatanen against Todt would not be in the interests of himself or the FMU.

In the second call, he claims Thatthi told him a sponsor had been found to pay the 2,820 euros outstanding from the FMU's subscription to the FIA, but only on the condition that Wavamunno withdrew his candidacy and gave the club's vote to Todt.

"I told him the Federation was making arrangements to pay the money and did not need to sell that vote," Wavamunno is quoted as saying.

Thatthi denied the allegations and said he had not spoken to anyone at the FMU since early August and certainly not since the presidential nominations were announced. The Mail on Sunday, however, claimed to have seen phone records confirming that the August calls were made.

I have to say, whatever the respective merits of Todt and Vatanen, I always found it hard to believe that an election for the presidency of the FIA could go any other way than to the candidate who is officially endorsed by both Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone. But maybe I've just been around too long. Vatanen seems to be fighting a good fight and now I'm not so sure.

In the latest round of tennis, a missive came through from Ari on Monday morning. It was a letter he had circulated to the presidents of the voting clubs, and it read:

"Dear President, next Friday's election is not ultimately about who becomes President of the FIA - but it is about ensuring that this great federation, the FIA, is the winner and takes the correct path for its future. You will all have read my policy plans to improve the FIA and the services it provides to you and your members. You are also aware that recent events have, once again, thrown the spotlight on the governance of our beloved institution.

"Therefore, if elected by you on Friday, I will urgently introduce an FIA Ethics Code to cover all senior officials, both elected and employees. Such codes of behaviour are the norm in the modern world of public life and business, where the need for ethical standards and transparent work practices are the key to public confidence. This should be no different in a global organisation of the FIA's scale and scope.

SGWilko
21st October 2009, 15:23
This, you might interpret as Vatanen letting it be known that should he lose Friday's election he will seek legal recourse.

Meantime, both sides continue to let us know who is in their corner. At Interlagos, for example, Jean Todt and Team told us they had the full support of the legendary Pele.

"Oh well then, that's it, all over..." laughed one wizened hack. "I guess that if we look in our inboxes in a couple of minutes we'll find out that Eusebio and Ferenc Puskas support Vatanen..."

One Vatanen fan with a sense of humour, added: "Pele? Well, that's good. When they let him loose with the chequered flag here in '01, he waved it at Nick Heidfeld instead of David Coulthard, so hopefully he's got the wrong bloke again..."

But it all turned a bit more serious on race day when the Mail on Sunday ran a story alleging that amid an unexpectedly close contest, accusations of intimidation by one of Todt's main supporters has arisen.

Ari Vatanen at Rally Catalunya © LAT
The paper alleged that Jack Wavamunno, founder president of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs in Uganda, claimed that Surinder Thatthi, who is on the Todt ticket to become FIA Sport vice-president of the FIA, made 'veiled threats' to him in telephone calls on the day after nominations for the election were announced.

Wavamunno, who is standing against Thatthi for election as Africa's representative on to the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC), claimed that his rival phoned him twice on August 29. In the first call, Wavamunno alleges that he was told that standing against Thatthi and supporting Vatanen against Todt would not be in the interests of himself or the FMU.

In the second call, he claims Thatthi told him a sponsor had been found to pay the 2,820 euros outstanding from the FMU's subscription to the FIA, but only on the condition that Wavamunno withdrew his candidacy and gave the club's vote to Todt.

"I told him the Federation was making arrangements to pay the money and did not need to sell that vote," Wavamunno is quoted as saying.

Thatthi denied the allegations and said he had not spoken to anyone at the FMU since early August and certainly not since the presidential nominations were announced. The Mail on Sunday, however, claimed to have seen phone records confirming that the August calls were made.

I have to say, whatever the respective merits of Todt and Vatanen, I always found it hard to believe that an election for the presidency of the FIA could go any other way than to the candidate who is officially endorsed by both Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone. But maybe I've just been around too long. Vatanen seems to be fighting a good fight and now I'm not so sure.

In the latest round of tennis, a missive came through from Ari on Monday morning. It was a letter he had circulated to the presidents of the voting clubs, and it read:

"Dear President, next Friday's election is not ultimately about who becomes President of the FIA - but it is about ensuring that this great federation, the FIA, is the winner and takes the correct path for its future. You will all have read my policy plans to improve the FIA and the services it provides to you and your members. You are also aware that recent events have, once again, thrown the spotlight on the governance of our beloved institution.

"Therefore, if elected by you on Friday, I will urgently introduce an FIA Ethics Code to cover all senior officials, both elected and employees. Such codes of behaviour are the norm in the modern world of public life and business, where the need for ethical standards and transparent work practices are the key to public confidence. This should be no different in a global organisation of the FIA's scale and scope.

My apologies for the above presentation, if I try to put the quote formulae where they should be, this amazing site tells me it's too short. And to think we actually managed to put a man on the moon....????

21st October 2009, 15:49
http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5480&Itemid=80

21st October 2009, 15:53
http://www.arivatanen.com/EN/ari-for-fia-president/october-manifesto.html

Very nice, but empty rhetoric which, unsurprisingly, appeals to the less cognitive and unrealistic.

Oli_M
21st October 2009, 16:37
Does anyone have a 'list' of the nations that are supporting the two candidates? I know a number have openly stated who they will be voting for....

I think it will be an interesting vote, and quite possibly much closer than expected.

Big Ben
21st October 2009, 16:41
shock and disbelief... who would have seen this one coming?.. I mean, the fact that todt and mad max got along so well against the interest of everyone else while the french dude was at Ferrari couldn´t make us think they were so much alike, could it? but then again we don´t want someone who believes in God either, do we?

Ari
22nd October 2009, 01:21
Should not need to guess hard at my vote.

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 07:55
Very nice, but empty rhetoric which, unsurprisingly, appeals to the less cognitive and unrealistic.
An example of the maxist approach as described by Glen Crompton (http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_print_article.php?fes_art_id=39293).

F1boat
22nd October 2009, 08:09
Personally I think that the media, which is not fond of Max and Jean, because of the Ferrari's team politics and dominance, are doing their best to portray Jean Todt as the villain and Vatanen as the hero. I am not surprised, because most of this articles are written by British journalists and they thought that during Max'reign FIA supported Ferrari and was against McLaren. So it is normal that they support Vatanen. I am afraid, however, that Vatanen is too radical and I don't trust people with extremist views. I am sure that his intentions are for the best, but if he tries radical changes right from the start, he might ruin things even more. Jean Todt IMO is a better choice. I don't think that he will be unreasonable like Max and I think that he will do his best in the job and will ensure that no more huge scandals and "gates" will appear in front of the public. Whoever wins, I do hope that, in regards to F1, will ensure that after the chequered flag is waved, it os over. I hope that never again I will refresh pages in Internet to find who the champion is, like in 2007.
For prediction, it is tough. I know that Jean probably has a stronger lobby that Vatanen, but Jean is a candidate of the status quo and usually such candidates has weaker chance than radicals.I do prefer Todt, however.

macksrallye
22nd October 2009, 08:10
I know that CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsports) has stated it is supporting Todt, which s#!ts me. Did they even go to their constituants before deciding on this, no.

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 08:22
I am afraid, however, that Vatanen is too radical and I don't trust people with extremist views. I am sure that his intentions are for the best, but if he tries radical changes right from the start, he might ruin things even more.
Fair point. However I do think radical changes are needed. Some of the required change will come simply as a result of there being a new President - just the fact that it will no longer be Max will help - but given Max's official endorsement and wholehearted support it's hard to imagine that we will see a radically different FIA under Jean Todt.

F1boat
22nd October 2009, 08:29
Fair point. However I do think radical changes are needed. Some of the required change will come simply as a result of there being a new President - just the fact that it will no longer be Max will help - but given Max's official endorsement and wholehearted support it's hard to imagine that we will see a radically different FIA under Jean Todt.

I do not think that we need radically different FIA. I think that F1 for example had enough of radical ideas. IMO we will see a more stable FIA, one with less idiotic ideas. :) If it is Vatanen, I hope for the best, but I am concerned...

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 08:39
I do not think that we need radically different FIA. I think that F1 for example had enough of radical ideas.
I think those are two different things. F1 is just one part of the FIA, and I agree with you that the days of constant rule changes/additions which have cost the teams $m's needs to come to an end.

As for the FIA as an organisation, it has become autocratic. That needs to change.

AndyRAC
22nd October 2009, 08:42
I know that CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsports) has stated it is supporting Todt, which s#!ts me. Did they even go to their constituants before deciding on this, no.

They didn't over here in Blighty. Just because you're a License holder obviously doesn't mean you have a valid opinion - even though you should. Aren't they supposed to represent you? Doesn't sound like they do, does it?

raybak
22nd October 2009, 12:23
As far as i know there are two voting rights holders in Australia, both voting differently. There is CAMS which will go for Todt and the AAA which is made up of member organisations such as the RACV, NRMZ, RACQ etc which i hear may be going for Ari.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Ray

I am evil Homer
22nd October 2009, 12:25
I think those are two different things. F1 is just one part of the FIA, and I agree with you that the days of constant rule changes/additions which have cost the teams $m's needs to come to an end.

As for the FIA as an organisation, it has become autocratic. That needs to change.

I don't think either candidate can or will change the FIA. In an ideal world I wouldn;t want either of them but on paper Todt is the stronger candidate with his WRC, F1 and sportscars experience.

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 12:38
...on paper Todt is the stronger candidate with his WRC, F1 and sportscars experience.
I think that would make him a strong candidate to run the sporting arm of the FIA (if it still existed!), but the FIA covers a wide range of motoring activities.

Interesting interview with JT here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/22/jean-todt-fia-ari-vatanen) which includes the rumour that if he wins Todt will appoint Alan Donnelly to run F1 :eek:

F1boat
22nd October 2009, 13:15
Arrows, what's your prediction for the vote?

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2009, 14:18
Arrows, what's your prediction for the vote?
If all goes to plan the new FIA President will be Todt.

Koz
22nd October 2009, 15:08
I am still in disbelief that no one has sued the FIA for even allowing Todt to run for president.
Them man who ran Ferrari... The man who was a few months ago CEO of Ferrari the "leaders" of FOTA. The biggest team in F1...

It's simply shocking.

FIA = Ferrari/Fernando/Felipe International Assistance
Failure Is Assured.

As for Ari, he has about the same chance of winning as Lewis has of retaining his WDC going into the last race... Zero is an understatement.

But at least he fought the good fight. And if he does manage to take them to court, it will be an interesting drama to keep us from slumber till next season.

F1boat
22nd October 2009, 16:10
And if he does manage to take them to court

Max may remain as president with emergency powers. Like Palpatine.

Sonic
22nd October 2009, 17:34
Max may remain as president with emergency powers. Like Palpatine.

Someone had to make the conection eventually! ;) It all fits - the FOTA rebels, the killing off the old guard.

markabilly
23rd October 2009, 02:02
I am still in disbelief that no one has sued the FIA for even allowing Todt to run for president.
Them man who ran Ferrari... The man who was a few months ago CEO of Ferrari the "leaders" of FOTA. The biggest team in F1...

It's simply shocking.

Failure Is Assured.

Might want to read this.....maybe Todt has some payback in mind for el Luca......
http://www.f1i.com/features.php?id=6909

Garry Walker
23rd October 2009, 11:08

It's simply shocking.

Failure Is Assured.

As for Ari, he has about the same chance of winning as Lewis has of retaining his WDC going into the last race... Zero is an understatement.

But at least he fought the good fight. And if he does manage to take them to court, it will be an interesting drama to keep us from slumber till next season.

Is this some comedy? Congrats, you failed in anycase.

Can anyone point out to me what a person with no experience in leading anything (except his wine business, which is failing too) has over someone who has lead various organizations to massive success?

Mark
23rd October 2009, 12:40
Todt has been elected : BBC News.

Josti
23rd October 2009, 12:49
Also on Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79695

Koz
23rd October 2009, 12:59
Congrats to Todt, and the best of luck to him.

Might want to read this.....maybe Todt has some payback in mind for el Luca......
http://www.f1i.com/features.php?id=6909

Well, then whatever I said goes the wrong way around. Anti Ferrari rather than pro. Still doesn't change the fact there is a conflict of interest.

Is this some comedy? Congrats, you failed in anycase.

Can anyone point out to me what a person with no experience in leading anything (except his wine business, which is failing too) has over someone who has lead various organizations to massive success?

While that's true, perhaps you understand the concept called conflict of interest?

So when either Ferrari are favored or discriminated against, will you not cry foul?

Dave B
23rd October 2009, 13:03
I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

23rd October 2009, 13:03
Thank the Lord.

Cooper_S
23rd October 2009, 13:14
135 to 49.... that is a convincing mandate... well done Mr.Todt

Garry Walker
23rd October 2009, 14:09
While that's true, perhaps you understand the concept called conflict of interest?

So when either Ferrari are favored or discriminated against, will you not cry foul?

Is Jean Todt currently employed by Ferrari or in any other way connected with them?
Thanks.

F1boat
23rd October 2009, 14:16
Great result. Reason prevailed.

Koz
23rd October 2009, 14:19
Is Jean Todt currently employed by Ferrari or in any other way connected with them?
Thanks.

16 years. Need I say more?

Garry Walker
23rd October 2009, 14:25
16 years. Need I say more?

I asked you how Todt is connected with Ferrari as of now. Is he employed by Ferrari?

Answer, please.

Thanks.

Koz
23rd October 2009, 14:47
I asked you how Todt is connected with Ferrari as of now. Is he employed by Ferrari?

Answer, please.

Thanks.

No he is not currently employed by Ferrari.
But he was employed by Ferrari for 16 years, he has not been a Ferrari employee for less than 7 months.
Can you not see the connections there? Or do you think as soon as a person signs a resignation all links to his former employers are totally and undoubtedly over?
If you think the world works that way, you clearly do not understand human nature.
Not everyone is a Saint/Jesus/Alla - the world does not revolve of impartiality, good faith, honesty and moral integrity, the world revolves around money, greed, personal interest and.

Mark my words, next year there will be allegations of cheating or some sort of max-ish tampering in F1 and all fingers will point to Todt and his favoritism or hate against Ferrari.
I mean come on, am I talking to a rock here?

pino
23rd October 2009, 15:49
But he was employed by Ferrari for 16 years, he has not been a Ferrari employee for less than 7 months.
Can you not see the connections there? Or do you think as soon as a person signs a resignation all links to his former employers are totally and undoubtedly over?
If you think the world works that way, you clearly do not understand human nature.
Not everyone is a Saint/Jesus/Alla - the world does not revolve of impartiality, good faith, honesty and moral integrity, the world revolves around money, greed, personal interest and.

Mark my words, next year there will be allegations of cheating or some sort of max-ish tampering in F1 and all fingers will point to Todt and his favoritism or hate against Ferrari.
I mean come on, am I talking to a rock here?

Too much fantasy you have my friend ;)

N. Jones
23rd October 2009, 15:52
I don't trust Mr. Todt as it seems to be more of the same for the FIA.

23rd October 2009, 18:14
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/153885/1/todt_f1_will_thrive_now.html

Newly appointed FIA president Jean Todt has said that he is 'optimistic' things will improve in F1 in the coming years.

Todt, who was the favourite to replace Max Mosley, convincingly beat Ari Vatanen in Friday's election, with the Frenchman securing almost three times as many votes - 135 to the 49 for his rival.

Speaking in a news conference, after the verdict was confirmed, the former Ferrari F1 team boss added that he was delighted so many clubs voted for him.

"I like action, I like to make things go forward and I am really happy to see that so many countries chose me," he told Reuters. "But everything is yet to be done, in cooperation with all the clubs, to unify the FIA.

"The day the election is over, everybody must share the same goals including those who did not support me. I am not closing the door to anybody.

"I disagree with those who say everything should be changed. During the campaign, I spoke about constructive change and adaptation to the fact that things are different from what they were 10 years ago.

"We are facing a new crucial era for cars, the environment and global warming. And it has strong implications for motor racing.

"It is true to say that over the years, and not only the last two, a lot of problems have arisen but F1 remains one of the major sports.

"All the controversies have opened the eyes of people involved in this business and I am optimistic that things will improve."

Meanwhile Vatanen, a former European parliamentarian, who was campaigning for change and a new start, admitted that he was shocked he was beaten so badly.

"I did not expect that such a vast majority would vote for Jean Todt," he continued. "I thought that more people would vote for me but apparently the delegates felt the pressure.

"It's very hard to renew this regime. I hope that the FIA will become more democratic but so far it is just wishful thinking."

Todt positive, Vatanen pathetic.

Those who wanted Vatanen should be ashamed of themselves...he would have been an abject disaster.

leopard
23rd October 2009, 22:24
If the result is official, then congratulation for the new elected president Mr Todt to perform the new designation. We hope that we can see improvement of the sport from implementing rules workable in current state of environment, bears in mind besides F1 itself is a sport, it may sometimes involve some controversy to keep it casual and entertaining.

His background for a good while at Ferrari may prompt worries that he will be much benefit for the red team, but let’s try to clear someone of something.

SGWilko
24th October 2009, 13:54
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/153885/1/todt_f1_will_thrive_now.html

Newly appointed FIA president Jean Todt has said that he is 'optimistic' things will improve in F1 in the coming years.

Todt, who was the favourite to replace Max Mosley, convincingly beat Ari Vatanen in Friday's election, with the Frenchman securing almost three times as many votes - 135 to the 49 for his rival.

Speaking in a news conference, after the verdict was confirmed, the former Ferrari F1 team boss added that he was delighted so many clubs voted for him.

"I like action, I like to make things go forward and I am really happy to see that so many countries chose me," he told Reuters. "But everything is yet to be done, in cooperation with all the clubs, to unify the FIA.

"The day the election is over, everybody must share the same goals including those who did not support me. I am not closing the door to anybody.

"I disagree with those who say everything should be changed. During the campaign, I spoke about constructive change and adaptation to the fact that things are different from what they were 10 years ago.

"We are facing a new crucial era for cars, the environment and global warming. And it has strong implications for motor racing.

"It is true to say that over the years, and not only the last two, a lot of problems have arisen but F1 remains one of the major sports.

"All the controversies have opened the eyes of people involved in this business and I am optimistic that things will improve."

Meanwhile Vatanen, a former European parliamentarian, who was campaigning for change and a new start, admitted that he was shocked he was beaten so badly.

"I did not expect that such a vast majority would vote for Jean Todt," he continued. "I thought that more people would vote for me but apparently the delegates felt the pressure.

"It's very hard to renew this regime. I hope that the FIA will become more democratic but so far it is just wishful thinking."

Todt positive, Vatanen pathetic.

Those who wanted Vatanen should be ashamed of themselves...he would have been an abject disaster.

Empty rhetoric........

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2009, 17:18
Jean Todt was the logical choice for the status quo. Vatanen was a vote for those wanting to shake things up. Considering how much screwing around and indecision that came under Max's holy reign of terror, I would have thought Ari had a shot, but Todt is a very efficient and accomplished man. The fact he just left Ferrari shouldn't disqualify him, but it still bothers me when you have voters like the club in Uganda giving support to Todt because of some vague promise to help out with a debt or something.

The FIA is a viper's nest of people being bought and used for purposes I haven't even considered, and like the IOC is rife with intrigue and corruption if you dig in enough corners I am sure. That said, Todt has never been anything but successful at anything he has put his mind to, and while I don't like him sort of being the status quo, I must say a strong leader is needed and he is that.

Personally, I think Ari has a point, but Todt isn't the guy to tick off even before he was elected. The man is accomplished and has power. If it was Max vs Ari...lol..then it would have been a fun election...

24th October 2009, 18:14
Empty rhetoric........

Anything that pisses off whining British fans is excellent.

F1boat
24th October 2009, 18:26
Actually I hope that with Todt no fans will be pissed and we will have no more scandals and a Formula One race championship, which is decided on track, not in the court.

SGWilko
24th October 2009, 18:34
Anything that pisses off whining British fans is excellent.

You do understand I was commenting on the latter part of your post, referencing Ari, don't you.....

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2009, 19:43
Actually I hope that with Todt no fans will be pissed and we will have no more scandals and a Formula One race championship, which is decided on track, not in the court.

Most fans have no idea what the FIA does until they make a dumb decision. With Max, that was almost weekly.

I hope Todt does a good job. He has been a success at everything he has tried so I have a good feeling towards him doing well. The only niggling doubt I have is that it appears he was the choice of Ecclestone and Mosley. Anything those two idiots agree on can have me worrying....

Nikki Katz
24th October 2009, 20:37
He was always going to win, we should really be too surprised, and neither should Ari. An end to corruption in F1 just isn't going to happen! Who knows if Vatanen would actually be any good anyway, at least with Todt continuing the Moseley regime you know what you're getting.

call_me_andrew
25th October 2009, 03:42
I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

I was just about to say that! Damn you, sir!

Roamy
25th October 2009, 08:07
congrats to the frog/toad
he will do a very good job.. I hope anyway. Anyone would be better than Mosely.

N. Jones
25th October 2009, 11:33
He may be more of the same, policy wise anyway. He would be in my good books if his first act is to rebuild the race stewards, getting rid of the politics and interpret the rules evenly.

CaptainRaiden
25th October 2009, 15:41
Todt: Place for Schumi at the FIA

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5647892,00.html

Wow, why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: First, Todt and now Schumacher.

Ferrari 2010 World Champions. ;)

woody2goody
26th October 2009, 00:42
I'll be very surprised if Todt can remain objective.

Put it this way I'll believe it when I see it.

ArrowsFA1
26th October 2009, 09:16
Everything went to plan.

leopard
26th October 2009, 10:13
If it was Max vs Ari...lol..then it would have been a fun election...
you bet, they can share power... ;)

Big Ben
26th October 2009, 12:18
Let's rejoice in celebration... Max got his man in office... and everyone's super dooper happy... f### me if I get humans.

Koz
26th October 2009, 12:26
Maybe the FIA can hire Max as an consultant?

Too much fantasy you have my friend ;)

Maybe, but if I am right, and I go crazy, you better not ban me! :p

Garry Walker
26th October 2009, 17:20

Thanks. I have proven my case and the rest of your blah-blah-blah is irrelevant to me, I did not even bother reading it.

It is good that Todt, rather than Vatanen, got to power, because Vatanen simply does not have the experience. Nor do I think he is a man enough to lead such an organization, whereas Todt has proven time and time again that he won`t take any sh!t from anyone.

What was it that Ari said? Something about never having conflicts with anyone, because he minded his words? It was something like that.
How can you take such a coward seriously?

26th October 2009, 18:37
Empty rhetoric........

Hardly surprising, the British fans are unhappy. Feck what is best for the sport, eh lads? Typical.

Todt is the finest team leader motorsport has produced, with over 2 decades of unparralled success.

How anybody could seriously think that Todt would not be a consumate professional in his role at the FIA, given his brilliant track record, is beyond belief.

How anybody couuld think that Todt would be anybody's puppet is beyond belief.

How anybody could not understand why senior FIA figures would endorse Todt, given his suitability for the role, or thinks that it was wrong of senior FIA figures to support the man with the best credentials for the job, just shows them just to be out of touch with reality.

Thank god Todt won, because if it was up to some people on this forum, they would rather have destroyed motorsport through their petty Autosport-fed ignorance than supported the best man for the job.

Todt won because of the simple laws of meritocracy.

UltimateDanGTR
26th October 2009, 18:58
congratulations Jean Todt. No real surprise in the decision, but one must wonder if the FIA will indeed be Ferraris International Assistance, which they have been anyway so no difference. Lets just hope Mr Todt is better than that and will turn out to be the best FIA president ever. who knows, he may even un-farcify things. doubtful though, F1 will always be like that........

Mark
27th October 2009, 09:43
What was it that Ari said? Something about never having conflicts with anyone, because he minded his words? It was something like that.
How can you take such a coward seriously?

Or that he doesn't talk crap at any available moment like Mosley did.

harsha
27th October 2009, 10:15
yeah,I think it's a good decision...he will be more sympathetic to the problems facing the teams and isn't a candidate to do a Moseley :p

F1boat
27th October 2009, 10:26
Hardly surprising, the British fans are unhappy. Feck what is best for the sport, eh lads? Typical.

Todt is the finest team leader motorsport has produced, with over 2 decades of unparralled success.

How anybody could seriously think that Todt would not be a consumate professional in his role at the FIA, given his brilliant track record, is beyond belief.

How anybody could not understand why senior FIA figures would endorse Todt, given his suitability for the role, or thinks that it was wrong of senior FIA figures to support the man with the best credentials for the job, just shows them just to be out of touch with reality.

Thank god Todt won, because if it was up to some people on this forum, they would rather have destroyed motorsport through their petty Autosport-fed ignorance than supported the best man for the job.

I agree. All people who think that Jean will be a puppet are for a surprise, especially the would-be-puppeteers...

ArrowsFA1
27th October 2009, 16:25
Was the opposition to Todt entirely made up of those from a single nation?

No. Didn't think so. Nationality (again) has nothing to do with it.

27th October 2009, 17:15
Was the opposition to Todt entirely made up of those from a single nation?

No. Didn't think so. Nationality (again) has nothing to do with it.

And you didn't want him for what reason, other than your force-fed Autosported British-centric if-Mark-Hughes-wrote-it-I'll-believe-it-poor-sighted view??

The "Don't-Want-Todt-Because-He's-Todt" argument is a very British-centric view.

Easy Drifter
27th October 2009, 21:20
Tam: There were a lot of people from many countries that did not want Jean to win.
I expect Canada had split votes. The CAA said they were voting for Ari.
The ASN would not say but I expect Jean. Probably same split in the US.
Funny enough most competitors in Ont. were against Jean and I doubt many read the UK press. Of course, they also have little use for our ASN.
I hope Jean does a good job.
We do not need the autocratic rule we have had and remember that was an Englishman.
Think about his constant complaining about F1 costs and then changing the rules every year to force completely new cars with all the attendent costs.

Copse
27th October 2009, 22:25

If those things are beyond belief to you, you can't have much of an imagination.

It is simple logic: Max has never been observed doing anything that did not benefit himself. Max endorses Todt. Conclusion: Max has something to gain from Todt winning.

What that is is immaterial, but it is not an unreasonable priority to chose to deny Max something at every chance, and get a F1 outsider at the helm of the FIA as a bonus.

ArrowsFA1
28th October 2009, 08:50
And you didn't want him for what reason...
There are a number of reasons.

The way he has effectively been appointed Max's sucessor. Max himself has said he would have stood down a few years ago but Jean was still employed by Ferrari. We have known that Todt was the FIA President-elect for some time. That doesn't suggest this was ever going to be a election in the true sense of the word.

The way the "election" was conducted. Clearly the resources of the FIA were put behind the Todt effort. That in turn reflects the way in which the FIA has been run in recent years, which is one of the main reason that change was needed. Whether Vatanen was capable of delivering that change we will never know, but one of the main reasons for not wanting Todt as President is that in my opinion we will not see fundamental changes in the way the FIA is structured or run.

Having said that, I have expressed the view that the FIA President should not be as directly involved in F1 (this is the F1 forum after all) as we have seen recently. I think that has been central to much of the controversy there has been. Therefore I welcome Todt's pledge to "make the best use of the F1 Commission and will appoint a new F1 Commissioner". That's a positive step which has, however, been rather spoiled by the rumours that the Commissioner may well be Alan Donnelly. Still, time will tell.

Clearly Jean Todt has had a very successful career in motorsport and it will be interesting to see what he brings to the FIA Presidency, and in particular, the FIA's relationship with F1. Can he be the 'fresh broom' that is required? I don't believe so but I'll be happy to be proved wrong as the years go by because then we will have a far better FIA President than we have seen in recent years.

...your force-fed Autosported British-centric if-Mark-Hughes-wrote-it-I'll-believe-it-poor-sighted view??
There's the force-fed anti-whatever-if-tamburello-wrote-it-it-must-be-true-intolerant-no-interest-in-discussion-view again.

The "Don't-Want-Todt-Because-He's-Todt" argument is a very British-centric view.
Of course it is. You have fun with that.

28th October 2009, 17:55
Clearly Jean Todt has had a very successful career in motorsport and it will be interesting to see what he brings to the FIA Presidency, and in particular, the FIA's relationship with F1. Can he be the 'fresh broom' that is required? I don't believe so but I'll be happy to be proved wrong as the years go by because then we will have a far better FIA President than we have seen in recent years.

Thank you for proving that your viewpoint is simply an anti-Max one.

Your viewpoint that Todt would not be a 'fresh broom' goes directly against the evidence his career to date indicates.

Typical Autosport-induced laziness.

28th October 2009, 17:58
All people who think that Jean will be a puppet are for a surprise, especially the would-be-puppeteers...

Very good point. I doubt the alleged 'puppeteer' is that stupid. Shame the same can't be said for his detractors.

Koz
28th October 2009, 18:20
Very good point. I doubt the alleged 'puppeteer' is that stupid. Shame the same can't be said for his detractors.

Blind faith will get you nowhere. But we shall see soon enough. My gut tells me before the first race next year, we'll see drama.

Koz
28th October 2009, 18:21
Or that he doesn't talk crap at any available moment like Mosley did.

Or that Ecclestone guy either.

28th October 2009, 19:01
Blind faith will get you nowhere.

No, but having knowledge of Jean Todt's curriculum vitae does.

My gut tells me before the first race next year, we'll see drama.

I'd rather trust known facts than the tea-leaves or soothsaying codswallop.

F1boat
28th October 2009, 20:37
Blind faith will get you nowhere. But we shall see soon enough. My gut tells me before the first race next year, we'll see drama.

Actually I think that there will be no more drama, IMO. If there is something dirty, I don't say that there will be trouble, but if something happens I think that we may not learn. I think that things will be resolved quietly and quickly. My big problem with Max was not so much the FIA decisions: I agree with the decisions in 2007 about McLaren and especially about Brazil; I think that he handled Renault situations in 2007 and 2009 pretty well, even if, I think, Flavio paid for his rebelious aspirations; I think that he handled the situation with Lewis at the beginning of the season well. The only decision which was bad IMO was Spa 08. Even the various changes in the cars allowed unpredictable championships which were very close. In 2008 we had 7 different winners from 5 different teams, this year 6 from 4. This is nice for the sport IMO.
BUT - Max was extremeley bureaucratic and several of the situations took way too long to be resolved, most notably the Brazilian GP. The appeal should have never been allowed. Same about the diffuser gate this year. The FIA decisions must become quick and definite and I think that we should adopt the FIFA policy that there should be no changes in the results after the race; stewards must act only in extreme situations as deliberate crash or car which is underweight for example.
I believe that Jean can fix this. I really believe that we will not note FIA as much as we do now. I am optimistic!

ArrowsFA1
28th October 2009, 21:35
your viewpoint is simply an anti-Max one.
Present my view as you wish (you always do) but given that I opposed the way Max ran the FIA in recent years that certainly colours my view. Given that Jean Todt has been closely associated with Max, and that Max's team supported JT's campaign, and may well form a part of his team at the FIA, I think I am justified in approaching a Todt presidency with caution.

Your viewpoint that Todt would not be a 'fresh broom' goes directly against the evidence his career to date indicates.
Perhaps, but given the evidence of Todt's close association with, and support for, Max I'm not so sure. However, which ever view anyone takes only time will tell.

SGWilko
29th October 2009, 08:09
codswallop.

Is that the way Max used to hit Woman A with the 'cat'?

Trouble with Todt's campaign was the fact that Max openly endorsed it. If he had just kept his trap shut in the press, there would be less 'suspision' surrounding his appointment.

F1boat
29th October 2009, 10:16
Max has the right to voice his opinion. Bush endorsed Mccain, for example. This is part of the game.

ArrowsFA1
29th October 2009, 10:31
Max has the right to voice his opinion. Bush endorsed Mccain, for example. This is part of the game.
I think the election for FIA President is somewhat different to the US elections where party politics defines allegiances, but there are similarities as well. Just as Bush was always going to endorse the Republican candidate, Max was always going to support Todt.

I do think Max was entitled to have his favoured candidate, but to actively campaign for him and, more particularly, to use the office of the FIA to do so was not appropriate IMHO.

Still, it's all water under the bridge now and we have a new FIA President.

AndyRAC
29th October 2009, 10:51
I think the election for FIA President is somewhat different to the US elections where party politics defines allegiances, but there are similarities as well. Just as Bush was always going to endorse the Republican candidate, Max was always going to support Todt.

I do think Max was entitled to have his favoured candidate, but to actively campaign for him and, more particularly, to use the office of the FIA to do so was not appropriate IMHO.

Still, it's all water under the bridge now and we have a new FIA President.

Officially, we have a new President. However, Bernie is still there, the 'un-official' President. I just hope Jean puts him in his place - the relationship between Max/Bernie was far too close. Other FiA series suffered during that time, coincidence maybe? We know that Jean can be pretty strong willed, I hope he stays like that.

I am evil Homer
29th October 2009, 11:44
The problem is Bernie when it comes to F1. But lets also remeber Todt has a lot on his plate trying to sort out the mess that is the WRC and WTCC so he'll need a strong will.

CaptainRaiden
29th October 2009, 16:40
I have a very hard time believing that the guy in the video below can be an unbiased, and more importantly an ethical president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPrj9a88ME

Especially with Mosley desperately endorsing him twice, and the threatening by his henchmen in Uganda. I think we've just traded one Mosley for another one.

BDunnell
29th October 2009, 23:42
I have a very hard time believing that the guy in the video below can be an unbiased, and more importantly an ethical president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlPrj9a88ME

Especially with Mosley desperately endorsing him twice, and the threatening by his henchmen in Uganda. I think we've just traded one Mosley for another one.

I genuinely found the nature of some of Mosley's comments, and those supporting Todt, reminiscent of things said by the regime in East Germany about its opponents. Very bland but still a bit chilling.

BDunnell
29th October 2009, 23:43
The problem is Bernie when it comes to F1. But lets also remeber Todt has a lot on his plate trying to sort out the mess that is the WRC and WTCC so he'll need a strong will.

We knew nothing of the policies of either candidate for any of the other main series. Do we know any more know about what Todt wants to do?