PDA

View Full Version : California Gov Arnold & Co up to usual BS

Hondo
19th October 2009, 19:44
I see the Governor is going to exempt a new football stadium, of all things, from environmental impact concerns. It will create jobs and revenue. Heard that one before?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Los-Angeles-Are-You-Ready-For-Some-Football-64701932.html

Tell you what Gov, why not exempt from enviromental concerns the locations only of a couple of new oil refineries? Only the location would be exempt. All other regulations for construction and operation would remain in force. Refineries will create jobs, full time jobs as opposed to event only jobs and better paying jobs. From the tax standpoint, it will be a field day for you. Refinery operators and contractors make far more money than the guy selling peanuts and beer at the ball games. That means more income tax revenue for you. People that make more money spend more money so you get an increase in sales taxes. They buy houses (and pay for them) and pay property taxes. Even better, some new refineries may lower the price of gasoline in the state. If the wholesale price dropped by .08 cents a gallon you could increase the tax per gallon by .05 cents. That would result in a price drop of .03 cents a gallon. The consumers would be thrilled that you got them a lower price even though you're still robbing them blind.

Step up to the plate Gov, get Exxon and Texaco on the phone.

harvick#1
19th October 2009, 22:30
its the government, they dont think ahead :laugh: its again great to see the banks will be handing out bonuses this year to its employees and executives, I guess they already forgot we had to bail their asses out last year to stay afloat.

Rollo
19th October 2009, 22:49
Los Angeles of all places is in serious need of a decent underground train network. Motorists on particularly the 5 and the 110 sit in some the most hideous cases of gridlock I've ever seen in my life.

What effect would lowering the price of petrol actually have? All it would do would either encourage extra use of cars and/or with the building of new houses, put more people further into the suburbs and thereby put even more cars onto the freeways.

One thing Los Angeles does not need is extra cars. If you think that those traffic jams are acceptable, then you need your head examined.

harvick#1
19th October 2009, 23:22
another thing is that LA already has 2 major stadiums. The Rose Bowl and the Los Angeles Coliseum. both stadiums already hold 90,000+. whats the need for another one :confused:

I'll agree with Rollo, something more useful and practical is needed for LA, than another stadium

anthonyvop
19th October 2009, 23:26
Los Angeles of all places is in serious need of a decent underground train network. Motorists on particularly the 5 and the 110 sit in some the most hideous cases of gridlock I've ever seen in my life.

What effect would lowering the price of petrol actually have? All it would do would either encourage extra use of cars and/or with the building of new houses, put more people further into the suburbs and thereby put even more cars onto the freeways.

One thing Los Angeles does not need is extra cars. If you think that those traffic jams are acceptable, then you need your head examined.
screw public transportation!
How about using tax dollars for something taxpayers will actually use?

Build some more roads.

Rollo
19th October 2009, 23:32
Build more roads?

Where do you propose to put them? In the sky? You can't put them beyond the outskirts of the city, because they wouldn't serve any purpose out there. You certainly can't put them in the centre of the city because there's no room, and besides which, more roads doesn't address the problem of the circa 12 million cars which already use the city's roads.

Hondo
19th October 2009, 23:33
My complaint would be another stadium. Believe me, if these stadiums stood even a remote chance of generating the revenue the government promises they will, then they team owners and private concerns would be building them themselves while doing everything they could to cut the government out of the deal.

anthonyvop
20th October 2009, 01:51
Build more roads?

Where do you propose to put them? In the sky? You can't put them beyond the outskirts of the city, because they wouldn't serve any purpose out there. You certainly can't put them in the centre of the city because there's no room, and besides which, more roads doesn't address the problem of the circa 12 million cars which already use the city's roads.
Spare me, There is plenty of room. I haven't been in LA since last year and I seriously doubt that it suddenly ran out of medians, bus lanes, HOV lanes and sky.

Wade91
20th October 2009, 19:27
i guess its a good move for them if they can steel a team from another state, but on the other hand callaforna might just end up moving a team from one city to another (kinda pointless for the state, but good for LA) i guess they are gonna try to make it as good as the stadium as the new one in Dallas but without the multi-million doller scorebord flaw

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2009, 05:26
To those who think LA doesn't need a modern stadium, i guess you fail to recognize that no one likes to go to the old Coliseum, and the Rose Bowl has no private boxes, which are necessary to support an NFL team. If LA wants a team, or Super Bowl bids, they need the stadium. What they don't need is the taxpayers to pay for all of it. Nor do they need special treatment in a state that is going broke and has some of the worst roads I have ever been on for condition. IN short, Calfornia is a mess...and broke.

Rollo, your assertion that California doesn't need cheap gas is wrong. It wouldn't matter if the price of gas was 10 cents or 5 bucks a gallon, LA people need cars because the public transit is only 70 years behind where the growth is. Tony's assertion they need more roads is true because a decentrailized mess of a city like the LA Basin isn't densely populated well enough to support an efficent subway system at the cost it will now take to build it. If it was started in the 40's, they would be living in a different city.

Best thing to happen to LA?? People running it and the state that don't have their heads up their rears towards reality, fiscal constraints and urban planning...so it wont happen.

LA is a mess, I avoid it....

AAReagles
16th November 2009, 02:37
... If LA wants a team, or Super Bowl bids, they need the stadium. What they don't need is the taxpayers to pay for all of it. Nor do they need special treatment in a state that is going broke and has some of the worst roads I have ever been on for condition. IN short, Calfornia is a mess...and broke.

Normally I don't have a problem with Arnie's decisions, but that stadium deal is a bit much. Particularly for reasons that you and others stated already, yet including two other key items that needed far more attention than constructing another play-pen for athletes with over-inflated egos and for corporations to bombard the public with their ads.

1) Student tuitions are continuing to increase at an absurd rate. At the moment fees are twice as high as they were 7 years ago, at an estimated state average of $4,500. So that issue needs some attention.

2) Domestic violence shelters should be exempt from any budget cuts being proposed. For a state that is as liberal as California, it's outrageous that 6 shelters would have to close and numerous others were forced to reduce the amount of beds (vacancies) because of constraints imposed on their operational funds.

I'm wondering just how much more people here are willing to tolerate such negligence, regardless which party is in control... or is 'responsible' I should say.

Mark in Oshawa
21st November 2009, 03:25
Normally I don't have a problem with Arnie's decisions, but that stadium deal is a bit much. Particularly for reasons that you and others stated already, yet including two other key items that needed far more attention than constructing another play-pen for athletes with over-inflated egos and for corporations to bombard the public with their ads.

1) Student tuitions are continuing to increase at an absurd rate. At the moment fees are twice as high as they were 7 years ago, at an estimated state average of $4,500. So that issue needs some attention.

2) Domestic violence shelters should be exempt from any budget cuts being proposed. For a state that is as liberal as California, it's outrageous that 6 shelters would have to close and numerous others were forced to reduce the amount of beds (vacancies) because of constraints imposed on their operational funds.

I'm wondering just how much more people here are willing to tolerate such negligence, regardless which party is in control... or is 'responsible' I should say.

I don't disagree with anything you said at all But alas, no one sane is running the show. Arnie I think has been sucked in by all the other loons. I had hope for the state when he got put in office, but they would have been better off with Gray Davis. He was just a jerk and you could hate him. Arnie gave em hope....and dashed it.

LA is a proof positive that too much sprawl is not a healthy urban enviroment. That said, you cant turn back 70 years of stupidity.
THey have committed themselves to the land of the car, and the only way to get away from it is to either spend money they don't have building subways a long ways out, or to find planning solutions to curb sprawl, and to improve the roads to reduce traffic snarls...