PDA

View Full Version : An amazing coincidence in Button's and Hamilton's championship wins...

Giuseppe F1
19th October 2009, 11:53
2008 season...

Lewis Hamilton wins the F1 Drivers World Championship as:
- A British/English Driver
- Running the number 22
- In a car powered by a Mercedes-Benz engine
- By accumulating enough points to win by finishing 5th in the Brazilian GP at Interlagos

2009 season...

Jenson Button wins the F1 Drivers World Championship as:
- A British/English Driver
- Running the number 22
- In a car powered by a Mercedes-Benz engine
- By accumulating enough points to win by finishing 5th in the Brazilian GP at Interlagos

Freaky!! :)

BeansBeansBeans
19th October 2009, 12:17
It'll be interesting to see who is wearing the No.22 next year then.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th October 2009, 12:18
And both ended the hopes of a Brazilian driver on their home turf.

ShiftingGears
19th October 2009, 12:30
Both won six races* :p :

*Can of worms

F1boat
19th October 2009, 12:39
Really strange and cool :)

Big Ben
19th October 2009, 13:11

*Can of worms

I think you're wrong.

Mark
19th October 2009, 13:40

If you count wins on the track rather than decided in a court room :D
And assuming Button doesn't win in Abu Dhabi.

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 18:30
Plus both title rivals started from pole at their home grand prix in brazil.

but its not all coincidence.

Button has a stupid beard. Lewis does not.

Kevincal
19th October 2009, 18:30
Both are COCKY as hell too.

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 18:37
They sure are, but I would hope Lewis is abit more cocky :p

actually i think jenson is far more cocky, his celebrations yesterday showed that. Plus, i think lewis has more right to be cocky. Button is good, but Lewis is sublime like alonso, kimi etc. he is the equal best IMO, Jenson is less so

19th October 2009, 19:22
It'll be interesting to see who is wearing the No.22 next year then.

It will be a driver with one of the new teams

schmenke
19th October 2009, 19:59
Just wondering... prior to Hamilton, when was the last time the no. 22 driver won the championship?

F1boat
19th October 2009, 20:08

Yes, but both are cool as well :)

Jag_Warrior
19th October 2009, 20:09
actually i think jenson is far more cocky, his celebrations yesterday showed that.

See, I learned as a child, when you can't sing, don't sing. I can't sing, so I never do. Someone should let Button listen to his radio transmission at the end of the race. :rolleyes:

What was with Jenson's (horrible) rendition of Queen's "We Are The Champions"??? Gosh, that was both bad and pitiful at the same time. 17 slum dogs in Sao Paolo committed suicide, or so I hear. And oddly enough, 17 people from Honda committed suicide in Japan yesterday too. Hmm... :confused:

I have nothing against Button. But IMO, a slightly above average driver in a fantasic car won the WDC. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I think the real story (and strength) of this season is what the Brawn outfit did as a group. And good for them all, including Button.

BeansBeansBeans
19th October 2009, 20:40
See, I learned as a child, when you can't sing, don't sing. I can't sing, so I never do. Someone should let Button listen to his radio transmission at the end of the race. :rolleyes:

He was just having a laugh with his engineers.

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 20:43

thankfully, at least he wasnt auditioning for X factor. as far as i am aware! :D

Kevincal
19th October 2009, 21:57
Also both Hamilton and Button had sensational first halfs to the season, then both ALMOST choked away the WDC.

Jag_Warrior
19th October 2009, 22:05

Oh, I'm sure that's all it was. It was just goofy, that's all.

woody2goody
19th October 2009, 22:12
Another reasonably amazing coincidence in Brazil, was that in 2007, Kazuki Nakajima finished 9th on his Grand Prix debut at Interlagos, and this weekend, Kamui Kobayashi also finished 9th in his first Grand Prix.

:)

Saint Devote
20th October 2009, 00:29
And all world champions have a number ONE on their car....VERY CREEPY!!!!

Saint Devote
20th October 2009, 00:30
Hamilton should have the number 22 in 2010 because he will hand the number ONE to Jenson.......

Saint Devote
20th October 2009, 00:34
I think I'll just write one-line messages so I can read my signature - I can only imagine what it must be like for HIM if devoted fans like myself can barely believe it!!! :-]]

Mark
20th October 2009, 08:29
Hamilton should have the number 22 in 2010 because he will hand the number ONE to Jenson.......

In the past that's the way it would have worked, sadly, no longer.
I only just noticed last weekend that they don't even include car numbers in the on screen graphics either.

V12
20th October 2009, 10:21
Plus both were handed number 22 by the FIA for, let's say, non-sporting reasons. All things being normal Hamilton would have been running 3 last year, Button 18 this year.

To answer the question further up, #22 has never been carried season long by a champion. Obviously in post-96 system, whenever it has been used it has invariably been by either the worst or a brand new team, Barrichello's Stewart in 1997 was probably the most competitive wearer of the number prior to Hamilton and Button. Back in the "old" system (1974-1995), where teams (mostly!) kept the same number barring championship wins or filling in the gaps, it was worn by the likes of Forti, Scuderia Italia, Osella and Ensign.

Before mid 1973 drivers would carry a different number at every race, and 22 has more than likely been carried by some drivers in at least one race in their championship year, Jochen Rindt is one that (tragically) comes to mind but I'm not going to look the rest up :)

SGWilko
20th October 2009, 10:34
Freddie Mercuryout of breath, his face squashed from both sides in tight fitting a crash helmet,

I reckon most Saturday nights round at Kenny's were spent like that...... ;)

Dzeidzei
20th October 2009, 10:58

Both whined and cried on their way to the wdc :)

Dzeidzei
20th October 2009, 12:11
I don't know whats worse, crying on your way to the championship or crying on your way to not clinching the championship.. :p :)

Theyre both fine, if youre a girl. Or a mouse :)

Knock-on
20th October 2009, 12:28
Now I am confused... :p

I wouldn't be mate. It's just some bitter members whining like little girls because their driver didn't win this year or something.

The term poor losers springs to mind.

:laugh:

Dzeidzei
20th October 2009, 12:53
Ah right I thought it was abit of light hearted humour..
I wish I hadn't wasted my time now.. :)

Seriously, I mean really seriously, with all the multimillion dollar hightech in the cars wouldnīt it be feasible to have a voice alternating technology embedded in Jensonīs radio? It could have different modes: calm, extremely masculine, mentally balansed and not-too-girlish. And a reprogrammable mode for desired effect on live tv.

Having said that, I do think Jenson is a worthy champion. The best always wins. Period.

PS. Yes Im bitter but Ive been bitter for months now :)

BeansBeansBeans
20th October 2009, 13:14
Seriously, I mean really seriously, with all the multimillion dollar hightech in the cars wouldnīt it be feasible to have a voice alternating technology embedded in Jensonīs radio? It could have different modes: calm, extremely masculine, mentally balansed and not-too-girlish. And a reprogrammable mode for desired effect on live tv.

Perhaps they could add an auto-tune feature for those post-race Queen covers.

wedge
20th October 2009, 13:36
At least Button's rendition was better than Alonso's in 2005

Knock-on
20th October 2009, 13:47
If we start of with a girlie jenson, bang it through a Stephen Hawkins modulater, amplify it with an Ozzy Ozbourne filter and pump the whole lot through a Freddy Mercury mixer, we will probably end up with something like the recent Britney performance. Uhhhhh!!!!!

schmenke
20th October 2009, 15:03
Plus both were handed number 22 by the FIA for, let's say, non-sporting reasons. All things being normal Hamilton would have been running 3 last year, Button 18 this year.

To answer the question further up, #22 has never been carried season long by a champion. Obviously in post-96 system, whenever it has been used it has invariably been by either the worst or a brand new team, Barrichello's Stewart in 1997 was probably the most competitive wearer of the number prior to Hamilton and Button. Back in the "old" system (1974-1995), where teams (mostly!) kept the same number barring championship wins or filling in the gaps, it was worn by the likes of Forti, Scuderia Italia, Osella and Ensign.

Before mid 1973 drivers would carry a different number at every race, and 22 has more than likely been carried by some drivers in at least one race in their championship year, Jochen Rindt is one that (tragically) comes to mind but I'm not going to look the rest up :)

Thanks V-12 :up:

christophulus
20th October 2009, 19:43
So to carry on the trend, we'll have Anthony Davidson in the #22 Manor beating Bruno Senna next year...

Hmm, maybe not!

Mark
21st October 2009, 15:25
Amazingly too, they both won the championship because they had more points than anyone else at the end of the year.

UltimateDanGTR
21st October 2009, 19:28
Amazingly too, they both won the championship because they had more points than anyone else at the end of the year.
freaky................ :)

did you also know, that both won their championships driving in a car........

jens
21st October 2009, 20:23
What was wrong with Button's short singing attempt? It was not like an Idol contest or something like that that he should have been ashamed of. :p :

Could another similarity arise - will Button finish somewhere like 5th or 6th in next year's WDC standings as a defending champion? Sounds possible actually. :D

Also both Hamilton and Button had sensational first halfs to the season, then both ALMOST choked away the WDC.

There wasn't anything specifically sensational in Hamilton's first half of the season. Both halfs were actually quite similar - some great drives and some mistakes.

UltimateDanGTR
21st October 2009, 20:28
There wasn't anything specifically sensational in Hamilton's first half of the season. Both halfs were actually quite similar - some great drives and some mistakes.

This is true-If i remember correctly after Canada Kubica was in the championship lead! and I do believe after France Hamilton was fourth around 10 points behind the championship lead. luckily for him, The british grand prix came next, and that was the turning point, and that is where Lewis made a lead together with Germany and Hungary i seem to recall...............

Ari
22nd October 2009, 01:18
Both won it driving a Formula 1 car!! :p

F1boat
22nd October 2009, 08:16
This is true-If i remember correctly after Canada Kubica was in the championship lead! and I do believe after France Hamilton was fourth around 10 points behind the championship lead. luckily for him, The british grand prix came next, and that was the turning point, and that is where Lewis made a lead together with Germany and Hungary i seem to recall...............

Yes. Lewis is the best in the middle part of a season IMO.