PDA

View Full Version : Williams to use Cosworth engines in 2010

Giuseppe F1
19th October 2009, 11:35
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79615

Williams to use Cosworth engines in 2010
By Jonathan Noble
Monday, October 19th 2009, 10:09 GMT

Williams will switch to Cosworth engines next season, AUTOSPORT has learned, after believing its prospects for success in 2010 are best served with the independent engine maker.

Although the Grove-based outfit came close to a deal with Renault, high level sources at the French car manufacturer have revealed that Williams has now informed the company that it is no longer interested in a tie-up for next year.

With Toyota already having confirmed that it is ending its customer supply deal at the end of this year, it means that Williams has now settled on a switch to Cosworth.

Williams is refusing to confirm its engine plans until after the end of the season, but its engineering director Patrick Head praised Cosworth's efforts in preparing for its return to Formula 1.

"They are certainly very committed to it and working hard," he said. "They have been one of the options but we are not stating where we cast our final hook in terms of what is available to us until after the final race of the season. But I think our design office know what they are designing for."

Sources claim that one of the key attractions for Cosworth is the fact that the engine supplier will be able to re-tune its powe runit until early next year - something no other manufacturer is able to do because of F1's engine freeze.

The tweaks could help ensure Cosworth's engine is competitive throughout 2010, which is why Red Bull Racing is also considering a switch to the power unit if it is unsuccessful in its bid to secure Mercedes-Benz power.

Head said that his team had chosen to finish its partnership with Toyota because it fancied a change of direction.

"We had a very good relationship with Toyota," he said. "We made a decision about two months ago that we wanted to go in a different direction and I think the reasons are not for public consumption.

"We haven't had any falling out so it's an amicable parting. There were a number of factors that caused us to make the decision but I don't think that the combination of the reasons we decided to make a change are not ones that we are prepared to share. But it was nothing that caused any shouting and screaming, we chose to change direction.

"Ross Brawn and the team showed that you can make an engine change on Christmas Eve and still produce a pretty competitive car but I don't think our design office would thank us for doing that and they will have a little longer than that to design the car around the engine."

ShiftingGears
19th October 2009, 11:46
WilliamsF1 just lowered the chance of them attracting high rank drivers considerably.

Sonic
19th October 2009, 11:48
Well Patrick Head knows his stuff so he wouldn't be putting a Cossie in the back unless he thought it was a decent lump - Here's hoping Williams can at the very least maintain their form.

I am evil Homer
19th October 2009, 11:54
Rubbish...Head has no idea what sort of unit Cosworth will produce, they probably were cheaper than Renault. All but resigns Williams to also-ran status closer to STR than points challengers I think, unless they create a truly magical chassis...

Sonic
19th October 2009, 12:35
Rubbish...Head has no idea what sort of unit Cosworth will produce, they probably were cheaper than Renault. All but resigns Williams to also-ran status closer to STR than points challengers I think, unless they create a truly magical chassis...

This isn't pin the tail on the donkey. Head and Williams will know the relative strengths and weakness of each engine. And yes, cost will be a factor but not the only one.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th October 2009, 12:46
It would have been nice to see the Williams Renault combination back in F1

DexDexter
19th October 2009, 15:36
It would have been nice to see the Williams Renault combination back in F1

Yep, I think this Cosworth move is stupid. Renault would have been a good partner for Williams. And what if they suddenly get rid of the freeze? Cosworth will at sea in no time.

truefan72
19th October 2009, 15:53
just took a step backwards IMO

there was nothing wrong with the toyota engines and I don't recall a single retirement from an engine blowup at williams. Their problem is their useless low downforce aero package thet rendered them uncompetitive for a 3rd of the races, coupled with some poor race day decision making and somehow not being able to take advantage of their clear DD advantage at the beginning of the year.

toyota may be supplying RBR next year, who seem to want out of another great engine the Renault.

I'm not sure what Williams are doing, if they are trying to look favorable tot eh FIA or something, which is absurd since Mosley and his regime are gone at the end of this month.

ArrowsFA1
19th October 2009, 16:01
I thought this was interesting:

Sources claim that one of the key attractions for Cosworth is the fact that the engine supplier will be able to re-tune its power unit until early next year - something no other manufacturer is able to do because of F1's engine freeze. The tweaks could help ensure Cosworth's engine is competitive throughout 2010.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of an engine freeze, this engine choice might just end up being a good one for Williams.

veeten
19th October 2009, 16:14
Well, consider that most of the 'big names' have either cut back or reduced their overall F1 efforts, it seems that Williams had no other option than Cosworth.
Mercedes & Ferrari aren't looking to supply the entire grid, BMW has gone t!ts-up, and Renault & Toyota aren't going to be making any new deals in the not-to-distant future, Cosworth seems to be the 'supplier of last resort'.

With the whole 'cost cutting' craze going about, and the lack of major sponsorship for teams to afford more expensive engine deals, Cosworth will be the choice for those coming in or cutting back, unless there is a willingness to involve more independent builders or manufacturers to 'step up' and become powertrain suppliers.

DexDexter
19th October 2009, 16:28
Well, consider that most of the 'big names' have either cut back or reduced their overall F1 efforts, it seems that Williams had no other option than Cosworth.
Mercedes & Ferrari aren't looking to supply the entire grid, BMW has gone t!ts-up, and Renault & Toyota aren't going to be making any new deals in the not-to-distant future, Cosworth seems to be the 'supplier of last resort'.

With the whole 'cost cutting' craze going about, and the lack of major sponsorship for teams to afford more expensive engine deals, Cosworth will be the choice for those coming in or cutting back, unless there is a willingness to involve more independent builders or manufacturers to 'step up' and become powertrain suppliers.

They had a contract with Toyota which they broke...so..

christophulus
19th October 2009, 16:49
Apparently (http://grandprixinsider.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/williams-barrichello-cosworth/) Williams were offered a preferential development deal with Cosworth - whatever that means. Maybe the engine will be tuned more to suit the Williams car than the other new teams - and it's a benefit for Cosworth because they can start testing sooner than waiting for the new teams to build their cars.

It's a sensible choice, mainly because the FIA will go to great lengths to ensure the new teams are kept competitive, and as a by-product Williams end up with a progressively stronger engine.

Plus, Cosworth are independent. Apparently (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/movements-on-the-driver-market/) Renault were stalling on a deal because both teams were interested in Kubica, so Renault were allegedly using the engine as leverage to make sure Williams didn't sign him up.

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 18:24
interesting. Williams' season next year just got unpredicatble, more so than we previously thought. Either the cossie will be a complete lump and stay like that, or their development thing will be used to their advantage, not to mention lotus', campos' and manors as well.

Malbec
19th October 2009, 19:40
This isn't pin the tail on the donkey. Head and Williams will know the relative strengths and weakness of each engine. And yes, cost will be a factor but not the only one.

I doubt very much that Cosworth could narrow the gap to the top engine makers and close four years worth of development with the resources they have, especially since their last engines were not that competitive. The power gains Mercedes and Ferrari especially have made even with the engine freeze are quite impressive.

Cosworth aren't going to develop the engine on charity money, they'll calculate what profit they can make from the engine deals and tailor their development investment to suit. Given that the Cosworth engine deals are supposed to be cheap in line with the FIA engine cost proposals that isn't going to be a large amount of money. Manufacturer backed teams on the other hand....

Williams are in a poor position financially, I hope they aren't choosing this engine out of desperation.

truefan72
19th October 2009, 21:21
to be honest, if I were to rank the engines right now in terms of quality it would be:

#1 Mercedes
#2 Renault
#3 Toyota
#4 Ferrari
#5 BMW

whatever deal Williams are getting with cosworth is going to challenged by the other teams, engine suppliers and new entrants who will be now getting a diminisehd product to the benefit of williams. Also especially if rumors are true and the fia is going to do the ridiculous thing of asking Mercedes to tune down the engine.

It is another sad day in F1 where now the FIA is looking to create artificial parity to the detriment of the sport.

If they just got rid of that engine freeze nonse4sne and allowed teams to develop what they want, you would see a natural parity come to place without all this nonsense.

LiamM
19th October 2009, 21:52
If all the teams have agreed for to this 'cost cap' then we don't need an engine freeze.

Teams can have 1 of 3 things:
1. an amazing engine and an aerodynamically limited car
2. amazing aerodynamics and a poor engine
3. a mediorce engine and aero

Easy Drifter
20th October 2009, 01:07
Cosworth have basically had a year to work on the engine and still have more time. I do not think any of us have a clue as to what kind of power they are getting.
What the FIA do regarding rules may go in a new direction after Fri. depending on the results of the election.
If it is Ari I expect considerably less rule changes without proper consultation.

truefan72
20th October 2009, 03:44
Cosworth have basically had a year to work on the engine and still have more time. I do not think any of us have a clue as to what kind of power they are getting.
What the FIA do regarding rules may go in a new direction after Fri. depending on the results of the election.
If it is Ari I expect considerably less rule changes without proper consultation.

no matter what they do , on its own the engine will not be as good as the mercedes, renault toyota or ferrari. And if the FIA chooses to make them more powerful, then the teams will protest. This is not F1 to limit the capabilities of some while promoting others, especially ones that the FIA have aligned themselves with in a feeble attempt to create a single engine supplier mickey mouse series.

If history is any indication then the cosworth will be what it always is. A serviceable engine, with many reliability issues that is no match to the top 4.

Valve Bounce
20th October 2009, 05:56
WilliamsF1 just lowered the chance of them attracting high rank drivers considerably.

BANG!! Whoosh!! :eek:
"Ah! shyte!!" :(

Mark
20th October 2009, 08:37
Apparently (http://grandprixinsider.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/williams-barrichello-cosworth/) Williams were offered a preferential development deal with Cosworth - whatever that means.

Ah the gold support package. 24x7 telephone support to a hotline in India plus engineers guaranteed on site within 3 working days.

CNR
20th October 2009, 09:43
am i wrong or will an engine running in 10 to 12 cars in testing
come up the the standard of other engine suppliers quite quick
just hope that it dose not end up like 1980

Williams-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2303.html)Ligier-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2305.html)Brabham-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2304.html)http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2306.htmlLotus-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2307.html)Tyrrell-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2310.html)Arrows-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2308.html)Fittipaldi-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2309.html)McLaren-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2311.html)http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2312.htmlhttp://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2313.htmlATS-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2315.html)Ensign-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2317.html)Osella-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2314.html)Shadow-Ford (http://www.formula1.com/results/team/1980/2316.html)

I am evil Homer
20th October 2009, 09:52
Ah the gold support package. 24x7 telephone support to a hotline in India plus engineers guaranteed on site within 3 working days.

Yep....they'll even cover any blocked drainage issues should they arise. No surprise that it was down to money but I feel Williams are going to struggle next season.

ioan
20th October 2009, 12:32
Bye Bye Williams! :wave:

They just decided that they don't want to win anything in the near future.

Exactly, and Williams didn't create a great chassis since 1997.

ioan
20th October 2009, 12:35
They had a contract with Toyota which they broke...so..

Exactly. They had their hand firmly on a good engine and chose to go with something that will probably turn out to be a dud, again.

Robinho
20th October 2009, 12:41
the article says Red Bull are considering the Cosworth if they don't get Merc, and they've got cash to burn, so they must know something? maybe its not all bad

Big Ben
20th October 2009, 12:41
I hope they'll finish last. I think they are the most despicable team on the grid. First they quit FOTA when it fits their own interest, they decide to use kers against the decision of fota to abandon it for next year, now they oppose a 14th grid. I hope this engine will blow every GP.

ioan
20th October 2009, 12:42
I hope they'll finish last. I think they are the most despicable team on the grid. First they quit FOTA when it fits their own interest, they decide to use kers against the decision of fota to abandon it for next year, now they oppose a 14th grid. I hope this engine will blow every GP.

^^What he said!

ratonmacias
20th October 2009, 15:04
i dont care how good the toyota engine was. its useless when you are forced to use nakajima as a 2nd driver. he has been outscored in a proportion that is truly larming by rosberg.

i prefer an enginer that might not be as good but being able to run 2 drivers not a driver and a half.

and you can bet your ass that williams wont be last next year.

i understand that everyone loves to hate williams the chin fanbois hate williams because they wouldnt let him test a 2009 car.

and the bmw fanbois hate them because they are not allowing a 14th slot on the grid but most of you are hypocrits because this is a bussines. would you allow a new partner in your bussines to get in for free effectively redducing your income to a point you might not be able to fulfill your commitments?

everybody says how williams is dissapearing and still honda and bmw are gone while williams is still competing.

Josti
20th October 2009, 15:14
the article says Red Bull are considering the Cosworth if they don't get Merc, and they've got cash to burn, so they must know something? maybe its not all bad

Red Bull had a pretty good debut year with Cosworth in 2005. Would make logic if they don't get the Merc engine. As for Williams, I think it's not so much the engine that makes the difference, it's the chassis. Cosworth is a reasonable choise for them.

ioan
20th October 2009, 15:21
i prefer an enginer that might not be as good but being able to run 2 drivers not a driver and a half.

I think this approach would, in 99.99% of cases, get them last place in the championship.

LiamM
20th October 2009, 15:32
Red Bull had a pretty good debut year with Cosworth in 2005. Would make logic if they don't get the Merc engine. As for Williams, I think it's not so much the engine that makes the difference, it's the chassis. Cosworth is a reasonable choise for them.

Red Bull can consider a deal with Cosworth all they like, doesn't mean anything. I considered buying a new Playstation at the weekend, but I didn't

Big Ben
20th October 2009, 17:18
i dont care how good the toyota engine was. its useless when you are forced to use nakajima as a 2nd driver. he has been outscored in a proportion that is truly larming by rosberg.

and you can bet your ass that williams wont be last next year.

i understand that everyone loves to hate williams the chin fanbois hate williams because they wouldnt let him test a 2009 car.

and the bmw fanbois hate them because they are not allowing a 14th slot on the grid but most of you are hypocrits because this is a bussines. would you allow a new partner in your bussines to get in for free effectively redducing your income to a point you might not be able to fulfill your commitments?

everybody says how williams is dissapearing and still honda and bmw are gone while williams is still competing.

Iīm none of the above, I canīt stand the chin, I think bmw were quite pathetic the way they handled their last 2 seasons and the stupid way they left without securing a place for the team... but we have a team ready to be part of the championship and they are blocked because the Williams boys reached the conclusion itīs easier to keep them out then to build a faster car. Thatīs the reason they left FOTA, they didnīt mind fighting in crippled F1 as long as they got what they wanted.... but maybe you are right... and the government of India is right... and FA is right... F1 is not a sport, not anymore