PDA

View Full Version : Kovy penalised 25secs, McLaren fined $50k for unsafe release

Robinho
18th October 2009, 21:36
title says it all, not surprised, although i can;t see how they could have given a drive through seeing as they had about 70 laps to look at the incident.

not sure what effect it has on the results - where dod Kovy finish originally and who has been promoted?

Allyc85
18th October 2009, 21:38
Autosport says no penalty.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79597

Dave B
18th October 2009, 21:38
That conflicts with Autosport, who report no penalty.

Cornfused.

Robinho
18th October 2009, 21:39
BBC ticker have this one, no actual report

harsha
18th October 2009, 21:41
there needs to be some consistency from the stewards on this....the pitlane fire was pretty dangerous

Northern Monkey
18th October 2009, 21:46
FIA statement says penalty.

Trulli also fined for behaviour following Sutil incident and given a reprimand.

AndyRAC
18th October 2009, 21:51
While the 'penalty' was deserved - why not give it during the race? I really don't like the FiA Stewards investigating after a race, they can't all be busy during the race.

Dave B
18th October 2009, 21:54
Penalty confirmed on the FIA website. BBC 1 - 0 Autosport.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/brz09_document_48.pdf

ioan
18th October 2009, 21:56
While the 'penalty' was deserved - why not give it during the race? I really don't like the FiA Stewards investigating after a race, they can't all be busy during the race.

It's not because they are busy, it's because giving a penalty after the race helps them pick the penalty that best suits the situation, that's all.

beachgirl
18th October 2009, 23:31
It's not because they are busy, it's because giving a penalty after the race helps them pick the penalty that best suits the situation, that's all.

Gives them time to pick the penalty that will most help/hurt the people in the situation. Fairness has never been a benchmark of the FIA stewards.

CNR
18th October 2009, 23:49
that could have been so dangerous

things like that would get you a 5 minute penalty in v8 supercars

Greg Murphy - Was given the biggest penalty (five minutes) in V8 racing history because of a pitlane infringement by his team. His car was released early, rupturing a refueling hose and spilling fuel in the pit box

F1 safety = 1 big joke

N. Jones
18th October 2009, 23:56
Why there was no penalty during the race beats me. I can understand the precedent sent by Red Bull (one warning, next time penalty), but Raikkonen's car was on fire for pete's sake! Surely that warrants a penalty of some kind during the race!

woody2goody
19th October 2009, 02:46
Kovalainen drops to what will be 12th place, just behind Liuzzi.

We now have:

9. Kobayashi
10. Fisichella
11. Liuzzi
12. Kovalainen

F1boat
19th October 2009, 05:45
Good decision by the stewards, but I am happy that they didn't interfere between the championship and victory contenders, no idiotic penalties this time. All in all, I am very happy with the Brazil GP stewards.

ArrowsFA1
19th October 2009, 09:02
...no idiotic penalties this time. All in all, I am very happy with the Brazil GP stewards.
There was one IMHO:

The Brazilian Grand Prix stewards deemed no action was needed following the accident involving Jarno Trulli and Adrian Sutil. However, the Italian was reprimanded and fined $10,000 for his behaviour when discussing the incident with Sutil off the track.

Why do the stewards feel the need to get involved in this, and what "rule" is the basis for their penalty?

Sure, the incident was not Sutil's fault but Trulli had every right to be angry about being taken out of the race. Fining a driver for showing emotion... :down:

christophulus
19th October 2009, 09:21
McLaren fine is deserved. Isn't there a cut-off switch that stops the car moving with the fuel hose attached, or is it just Ferrari that have that? Either way, it won't be an issue next year.

Trulli's fine is harsh, but then again this is the same FIA that won't let drivers pick up flags or do donuts on the slowing down laps..

AndyRAC
19th October 2009, 10:38
McLaren fine is deserved. Isn't there a cut-off switch that stops the car moving with the fuel hose attached, or is it just Ferrari that have that? Either way, it won't be an issue next year.

Trulli's fine is harsh, but then again this is the same FIA that won't let drivers pick up flags or do donuts on the slowing down laps..

Yeah, anybody see the 125cc Aussie GP? On his slowing down lap, Simon stopped put a t-shirt on, then a new helmet, which was a tiger's head. Brilliant, simply wouldn't be allowed in F1.

I am evil Homer
19th October 2009, 10:50
There was one IMHO:

Why do the stewards feel the need to get involved in this, and what "rule" is the basis for their penalty?

Sure, the incident was not Sutil's fault but Trulli had every right to be angry about being taken out of the race. Fining a driver for showing emotion... :down:

Err....for running while the marshalls were trying to clear a stricken car to get the GP underway again; for not getting behind the safety barrier as clearly instructed in a run off area? Take your pick. Trulli was at fault and disregarded his and the marshall's safety to go pick a fight. £10k seems fair enough for being a bonehead.

Mark
19th October 2009, 11:16
Refueling is dangerous and I won't rest until they've banned it for 2010! :mad:

ArrowsFA1
19th October 2009, 13:44
Take your pick.
No need to. The report is clear. Trulli was reprimanded and fined "for his behaviour when discussing the incident with Sutil off the track".

Aikidoka
19th October 2009, 13:55

Yup - I used to love it when drivers did their cool-down lap with a flag hanging out of the car :)

Aikidoka
19th October 2009, 13:56
No need to. The report is clear. Trulli was reprimanded and fined "for his behaviour when discussing the incident with Sutil off the track".

Just out of interest - Was Schumi ever fined when he stormed into DC's pit garage in Belgium?

wedge
19th October 2009, 14:05

No problems penalising Massa at Singapore last year. What's the difference with McLaren's incident besides attempting to melt Kimi?

wedge
19th October 2009, 14:11
Err....for running while the marshalls were trying to clear a stricken car to get the GP underway again; for not getting behind the safety barrier as clearly instructed in a run off area? Take your pick. Trulli was at fault and disregarded his and the marshall's safety to go pick a fight. £10k seems fair enough for being a bonehead.

Emotions were running high.

Not every driver has Kimi's ice cool composure.

Even Mr Nice Guy Rubens 'Blah, blah, blah' Barrichello can turn ugly.

I am evil Homer
19th October 2009, 14:57
Fine...doesn't mean you should endanger yourself, a fellow driver or the marshalls. Esp not when you caused the accident!!!!

wedge
19th October 2009, 16:03
Fine...doesn't mean you should endanger yourself, a fellow driver or the marshalls. Esp not when you caused the accident!!!!

mvOUC_LOt3Y

8JogHiSR5P4

Dave B
19th October 2009, 17:25
"Discussing". That's an interesting word for it. Let's use it in a sentence. "The defendent was given an ASBO for discussing the matter with a gentleman outside the Dog and Duck just after closing time".

Giuseppe F1
19th October 2009, 17:30
Back on topic with the Kovy/McLaren pit release......it really was pathetic, I mean, normally when these fuel hoses get ripped off its because of a real marginal instance where either the driver or lollipop man have been hose-watching too closely....

....in this case if you watch the replay back, the fueller wasnt even close to taking off the hose and the lollipop man released the car.

It almost looked as if a) he just had a mega brain-fade as Brundle would put it and that b) he was looking at Kimi in the pit behind because as soon as Kimi was away, thats when the McLaren lollipop seemed to go up as if at any costs he simply wanted Heikki out infront of Kimi.

Careless

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 18:07
no surprise. a penalty was needed here. could've been a lot worse had the fire have reached people on pit wall, which it almost did.........

careless mistake, must pay the price, but the time penalty doesnt really effect kovy anyway, he was too slow to make any difference to anyone..........

DexDexter
19th October 2009, 19:05
no surprise. a penalty was needed here. could've been a lot worse had the fire have reached people on pit wall, which it almost did.........

careless mistake, must pay the price, but the time penalty doesnt really effect kovy anyway, he was too slow to make any difference to anyone..........

Well that's were you are wrong, looking at Heikki's pace he would have been in the points without the blunder, so it was a costly mistake for Mclaren.

ioan
19th October 2009, 19:33

That's exactly why they investigate some incidents only after the race. To be able to give a heavy or a useless penalty (like in this case).

UltimateDanGTR
19th October 2009, 20:41
Well that's were you are wrong, looking at Heikki's pace he would have been in the points without the blunder, so it was a costly mistake for Mclaren.

well in that case you must excuse my ignorance, i naturally assumed he would be off the pace, wouldn't be the first time for him really.

but as they say, assumption is the first step in a cock up...........

LeRoy
20th October 2009, 07:59
It as ridiculous that no penalty was handed down during the race. That incident was dangerous & could have been a catastrophe. The FIA has to show consistency in these matters

Somebody
20th October 2009, 09:35
A 10-second stop/go penalty (NOT a drive-through) during the race would seem more appropriate... But that's how it goes. With no-one hurt and refuelling gone next year, it's a bit of a footnote.

Langdale Forest
20th October 2009, 18:36
Pit stops would not be the same without re-fueling.