PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT: Surfer's Paradise

garyshell
17th October 2009, 05:40
From http://www.goldcoast.com.au

A1GP not coming to Surfers Paradise

| October 17th, 2009

THE besieged A1GP car racing series today admitted it will not be coming to Australia next week to join the SuperGP on the Gold Coast.
Sports Minister Phil Reeves today announced the A1GP was officially out of the event due to start next Thursday on the Surfers Paradise street track.
It was the worst kept secret in world motorsport for weeks and it seems only the organisers of the SuperGP believed the increasingly unstable A1GP would actually show up.
The Gold Coast Bulletin exposed holes in the A1GP plan on a daily basis this week until Mr Reeves stepped in on Friday to announce a back-up plan, which today he executed.
He spent Friday working with V8 Supercars boss Tony Cochrane to come up with an alternative event schedule should A1GP chief Tony Teixeira fail to meet demands to prove he had freighters booked to bring his cars to Australia.
Not only did Mr Teixeira fail to show those documents, he admitted in writing they would not be racing in Australia.
Under the new plan, the Gold Coast's premier motorsport event will become the biggest endurance race held by V8 Supercars after Bathurst.
They will switch their race schedule from a 200km race on Saturday and Sunday, to instead hold four races in two days -- two 150km races on both days.
"We've never done 600km of racing in two days and never done four races in a weekend before, so this will be a first," said Mr Cochrane told the Gold Coast Bulletin and goldcoast.com.au exclusively on Friday.
"What we've done is worked with the Queensland Government to have a real genuine plan B in place."

Mr Cochrane alerted all the V8 Supercar teams that they would need to be prepared to race 600km instead of the 400km previously planned.
It would require them to completely change their car set-up -- some of the Victorian teams would most likely do that once they arrived on the Gold Coast.
Mr Cochrane said taking off 50km from each of the races would not compromise the strategic racing expected because refuelling and pit-stops would still come into play.
Each race would be for championship points and a 20-minute qualifying shoot out on Sunday for the day's two races would also be added to the schedule.
Today's announcement is a major embarrassment for SuperGP Greg Hooton and chairman Terry Mackenroth who oversaw the deal with failed sponsor Nitro and now failed open-wheelers A1GP.
And government minister Judy Spence is not out of the woods either.
The former Sport Minister was holding the reins when she announced she had secured the Indy Racing League for a future contract when she clearly hadn't. Then she, with Mr Mackenroth, secured the fatally flawed deal with A1GP.
The debacle has caused widespread unrest about next week's Gold Coast race and impacted ticket sales, corporate bookings and the reputation of the event.

MDS
17th October 2009, 17:33
I was among the thousands of people on this board an others who called this happening. No big surprise. Does open up some interesting free agent options for 2010 and perhaps gets the Gold Coast officials more open to negotiations with the new IRL management. A March 2011 date would be a nice fit on the schedule.

garyshell
17th October 2009, 18:25
A March 2011 date would be a nice fit on the schedule.

Didn't they do that dance before? There was an issue with March and a conflict with F1 or some other big event. That was why they were adamant about an Oct date. And IRL didn't want to end the season there.

The whole idea of the IRL in Australia is a non-starter, I am afraid.

Gary

Chamoo
17th October 2009, 21:47
Didn't they do that dance before? There was an issue with March and a conflict with F1 or some other big event. That was why they were adamant about an Oct date. And IRL didn't want to end the season there.

The whole idea of the IRL in Australia is a non-starter, I am afraid.

Gary

No, I thought the main reason they went to October was because of the weather. March is very wet for them and they felt they'd attract more people in the hot and dry October then in a wet and cool March.

If we have to keep Motegi on the schedule, I'd love to see a Motegi/Surfer's trip in the spring, and maybe if the Gold Coast people really need a support event for the race, they might be tempted to move to the spring.

ShiftingGears
18th October 2009, 10:24
Under the new plan, the Gold Coast's premier motorsport event will become the biggest endurance race held by V8 Supercars after Bathurst.
They will switch their race schedule from a 200km race on Saturday and Sunday, to instead hold four races in two days -- two 150km races on both days.

Great news :up:

MDS
18th October 2009, 15:33
It was a March race from 91-96, so its not like it can't be done. I get there are issues with the holidays, V8 Supercars and other issues.

That said, depending on how dedicated the IRL is to racing internationally there are a couple of options to keep racing in Australia. I'd be interested in seeing if Adelaide about getting a part on the Clipsail 500 weekend.

Jag_Warrior
18th October 2009, 16:38
As best I can remember, the CART race was in March when the F1 race ran in October (Adelaide). I don't remember the circumstances, but when the F1 race moved to the season opening round in March (Melbourne), the CART/CCWS race moved its date to later in the year.

Australia is THE race that caused bad blood between CART and the FIA/F1 in the first place. I don't see the FIA allowing an IRL race anywhere near the F1 date. And as we all know, F1 gets dibs on dates.

disko
18th October 2009, 23:36
I think they should do surfers, motegi and china.

I really need china. Lets see how the trip goes.......

racer69
19th October 2009, 09:57
The main reason the race moved to October was it filled a 'lull' for the Gold Coast... ie..that time of year was abit quiet on the tourist front, this changed things

The event needs an International category to survive, the QLD government have stated that it will not continue as just a local V8Supercar event

Copse
19th October 2009, 20:56
The event needs an International category to survive, the QLD government have stated that it will not continue as just a local V8Supercar event

That is interesting, considering the recent flurry of V8SC street races that (as far as I understand) are quite successful. Hamilton, Townsville, Sydney, Adelaide. Why not Surfers?

Chamoo
19th October 2009, 21:11
That is interesting, considering the recent flurry of V8SC street races that (as far as I understand) are quite successful. Hamilton, Townsville, Sydney, Adelaide. Why not Surfers?

It might be successful, but people aren't going to travel from around the world to the Gold Coast simply for a V8SC race.

SUBARUTEAM
19th October 2009, 22:03
indy car would be a great fit, but they wont move off that oct date which is simply not workable for indy car. they could go the week after motagi but would there be any issues with changing the car from an oval to road course configeration on a fly away race?

this would mean that the surfers race would have to move forward 2 weeks which would put it 2 weeks before bathurst.

i just can't see it happening i'm afraid.

Chamoo
20th October 2009, 05:40
Like SUBARUTEAM, I don't see it happening either. I just don't understand why both sides can't find a compromise. Can't the IRL see the benefits it had from the Gold Coast race? I mean, they lost a car because they didn't return (KVR with Will Power) and they lost plenty of sponsorship opportunities. Dreyer & Reinbold Racing was decked out in various AUS sponsorships for the race, and other cars had various strong AUS associates on their cars, some that carried over to 2009.

chuck34
20th October 2009, 13:12
Like SUBARUTEAM, I don't see it happening either. I just don't understand why both sides can't find a compromise. Can't the IRL see the benefits it had from the Gold Coast race? I mean, they lost a car because they didn't return (KVR with Will Power) and they lost plenty of sponsorship opportunities. Dreyer & Reinbold Racing was decked out in various AUS sponsorships for the race, and other cars had various strong AUS associates on their cars, some that carried over to 2009.

COMPROMISE. That's the key word right there. All the issues that you bring up are very valid, and I think the IRL is well aware of them. However, the promotors of the race were unwilling to compromise (at least that's what I get from everything I've read) and move the date to something that works for the IRL. The IRL moved the Motegi race in order to have the ability to do both races at the same time, but they needed AUS to move their date a bit. The race promotors were unwilling to compromise, said this is the date, take it or leave it.

Perhaps now that there are only the V8SC there, they will be more willing to compormise. But I'm not holding my breath.

chuck34
20th October 2009, 18:11
I could be mistaken, but if I remember correctly it wasn't the promoters that didn't want to move so much as it was the V8SCs. They thought they were the headliners and didn't need to move for a (in their minds) support series.

The IRL wasn't too cooperative in the whole thing either. It was basically a money loser for the series as the organizers were not paying for the transport anymore and I believe that TG et al were just as happy to see it go away.

Yes, both sides had issues. But from where I'm sitting, it looked like the IRL was willing (and did) to bend a bit to get the race in. The promoters or the V8SC guys, whoever, were not willing to do really anything.

But I'm sure we could go back and fourth all day. Afterall, it was a negotiation and there is/was posturing on both sides.

djparky
20th October 2009, 19:20
It might be successful, but people aren't going to travel from around the world to the Gold Coast simply for a V8SC race.

for the last few years it was more Indy Cars supporting the V8's than the other way round. The V8 series can fill all the grandstands by itself- just watch the coverage- always packed out with spectators

racer69
21st October 2009, 08:20
for the last few years it was more Indy Cars supporting the V8's than the other way round. The V8 series can fill all the grandstands by itself- just watch the coverage- always packed out with spectators

Its about the TV coverage though. The event is really just a party with a bunch of car races... you could have trolley races and attract a crowd. Its not just about having a successful event, its about promoting the city to the target market.

Big International series like Indycars, and supposedly A1GP, guarenteed lots of TV time overseas showing off the Gold Coast. V8Supercars don't as big a reach when it comes to International TV

The QLD Government have stated categorically that it won't be solely a V8 event long-term... that certainly could change but they haven't gone on record with a change of tack (bar this years forced hand)

Lousada
21st October 2009, 10:23

Is that why hotel bookings were 40% down this year, even before the cancellation of A1GP????

garyshell
21st October 2009, 15:33

Is that why hotel bookings were 40% down this year, even before the cancellation of A1GP????

Never mind that pesky economy, its nothing more than a trivial detail. :rolleyes:

Gary

Chamoo
21st October 2009, 16:08
Never mind that pesky economy, its nothing more than a trivial detail. :rolleyes:

Gary

I'm not so sure about that Gary. The economy was in no worse shape at this point last year.

The race will still be a successful weekend with or without that 40% of hotel rooms occupied, but for the government, they want the exposure of the International series and the tourism money from overseas. IRL brings that.

I found it odd that as all this went down, there was an article somewhere or other put out with an interview with an IRL VP. Can't remember who it was, but he went on to say he had no problems returning to Aussieland as long as the date was changed.

garyshell
21st October 2009, 16:30
I'm not so sure about that Gary. The economy was in no worse shape at this point last year.

The race will still be a successful weekend with or without that 40% of hotel rooms occupied, but for the government, they want the exposure of the International series and the tourism money from overseas. IRL brings that.

I found it odd that as all this went down, there was an article somewhere or other put out with an interview with an IRL VP. Can't remember who it was, but he went on to say he had no problems returning to Aussieland as long as the date was changed.

But at that point, we had just come to realize where things were going, plans had already been made months in advance for attending last years event. If you already tickets bought and paid for them, you weren't going to back out. This year was different, in that, folks made no such plans. I don't think that had much to do with the lack of the IRL. Sure it did for some. But let's face facts, Surfers was and is a party event, racing is the excuse not the reason many (if not most) of the folks are there. And few folks are spending the kind of cash this year at any venue, that would be required for a Surfer's weekend.

To quote Bill Clinton, or whoever the hell it was, "It's the economy, stupid".

Gary

Chamoo
21st October 2009, 17:37
But at that point, we had just come to realize where things were going, plans had already been made months in advance for attending last years event. If you already tickets bought and paid for them, you weren't going to back out. This year was different, in that, folks made no such plans. I don't think that had much to do with the lack of the IRL. Sure it did for some. But let's face facts, Surfers was and is a party event, racing is the excuse not the reason many (if not most) of the folks are there. And few folks are spending the kind of cash this year at any venue, that would be required for a Surfer's weekend.

To quote Bill Clinton, or whoever the hell it was, "It's the economy, stupid".

Gary

You're right, but I still believe the Queensland Government wants an international act to draw attention to the event and drive the tourism

garyshell
21st October 2009, 18:53
You're right, but I still believe the Queensland Government wants an international act to draw attention to the event and drive the tourism

No question about that. I was just countering Lousada's implications that the bookings were off by 40%, because the IRL wasn't going to be there.

Gary

Lousada
21st October 2009, 22:51

Gary

If you say so :rolleyes:

Getting this thread on topic:

Speaking to The Bulletin yesterday, Indy Racing League vice-president of public relations John Griffin said though the IRL had not ruled out a return to the Gold Coast, the same issues which saw the organisation pull out of Queensland last year still needed to be addressed -- namely, money and scheduling.
It is understood it costs about $20 million to bring the series to the Gold Coast compared to the $3 million to $5 million it costs to stage a round in the US.
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/10/21/150141_gold-coast-news.html
Keep in mind this is Australian Dollars and they have different Autumn/Spring.

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2009, 05:54
I cant see the IRL going back. That ship sailed. They cant afford it without someone putting out the dough to get the cars there. Honda does that with Motegi, but no one in OZ will bother.

Dates, billing and time of year means little if the IRL cannot afford the trip.....

millencolin
29th October 2009, 00:03
I just came back from indy, and it just wasnt the same. I think poor promotion and bad PR was the issue. The party was still there though but i know who to fix the blame on this for

THE ANNA BLIGH GOVERNMENT!!! The whole Labor government of the last few years has been a running joke, and they have killed the event. It started with Sports minister Judy Spence declaring that the Indycars would be coming back for years, when in fact no deal had been done. And from there it has been nothing but a running joke.

Politicians have (insert offensive word starting with f) with my favourite event... If i ever saw judy spence in public, i would go right up to her face and tell her what i think. There would be a few unpleasentaries in my little talk with her too.

Mark in Oshawa
1st November 2009, 23:31
I just came back from indy, and it just wasnt the same. I think poor promotion and bad PR was the issue. The party was still there though but i know who to fix the blame on this for

THE ANNA BLIGH GOVERNMENT!!! The whole Labor government of the last few years has been a running joke, and they have killed the event. It started with Sports minister Judy Spence declaring that the Indycars would be coming back for years, when in fact no deal had been done. And from there it has been nothing but a running joke.

Politicians have (insert offensive word starting with f) with my favourite event... If i ever saw judy spence in public, i would go right up to her face and tell her what i think. There would be a few unpleasentaries in my little talk with her too.

Well politicians paying public money to promote a race that loses money every year would NEVER fly in North America for any length of time. I don't think THAT was her motivation but I always wonder why Australians are so casual about the government's involvment in basically subsidizing motorsport. We don't really like it much up here. Much has been said about the City of Toronto supporting the losses of AGR's effort in Toronto, and Montreal using influence to get the Fed's and Province to subsidize the Canadian GP. Most people who vote don't like it.....and even I as a racing fan am not a fan of it. I don't see the ecomonic impact being as great as promoted....

millencolin
4th November 2009, 12:28
The Indy didn't really lose money until this year, it was only this years race that was a bit of a black hole.

Kinda off topic, i actually saw Anna Bligh yesterday while I was working. I was just about to go to her and say what i thought about indy, until I realised that I was in my work clothes, and the company I work for provides coffee for Parliament house. Probably not a good idea too piss off the premier when in work clothes... damn it!!!

ShiftingGears
4th November 2009, 13:37
The Indy didn't really lose money until this year, it was only this years race that was a bit of a black hole.

Kinda off topic, i actually saw Anna Bligh yesterday while I was working. I was just about to go to her and say what i thought about indy, until I realised that I was in my work clothes, and the company I work for provides coffee for Parliament house. Probably not a good idea too piss off the premier when in work clothes... damn it!!!

I think it'd be worth getting sacked for :p :

garyshell
25th November 2009, 21:49
Who's got the last laugh now?

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/november_2009/v8_supercars_massive_us_coup/

Gary

millencolin
25th November 2009, 23:28

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/november_2009/v8_supercars_massive_us_coup/

Gary

Thats good news for v8's.. but there is still no word yet if indy will be back on. Sorry i mean the Surfers Paradise event. Doesn't matter what races at surfers, it will still be known as Indy. Rumour has it that the gov't are thinking of replacing indy with a big concert where they will try to gain big name acts.
The Gold Coast has this already, its called the 'Big Day Out' as well as other festivals such as Summerfieldayz. One thing the gold coast doesn't need is more concerts.

God I hate the labour Government, and I can say that because at least I was smart enough NOT to vote for them.

ykiki
25th November 2009, 23:59

Gary

YES! YES! YES!

One of my favorite series to watch on SPEED was the V8 Supercars, which used to be carried regularly on SPEED during the Winter until this past year. I'm ecstatic to see its return.

Oh crap, I'm on vacation the weekend of Dec 12 - 13. Must set DVR :D

Pat Wiatrowski
26th November 2009, 16:36
YES! YES! YES!

One of my favorite series to watch on SPEED was the V8 Supercars, which used to be carried regularly on SPEED during the Winter until this past year. I'm ecstatic to see its return.

Oh crap, I'm on vacation the weekend of Dec 12 - 13. Must set DVR :D

I'm with you. .

SUBARUTEAM
26th November 2009, 20:33
I'm with you. .

yip - it leaves nascar for dead.

it would be great to see a couple of amercian drivers come down to the best touring car series on the planet!!

imagine doing the datona 500, indy 500 and the bathurst 1000 in one year!!!