PDA

View Full Version : Liars!!

maximilian
14th October 2009, 20:50
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting really annoyed with the constant spreading of misinformation in F1?

It seems like as SOON as any news breaks (now most infamously, "Alonso to drive Ferrari in 2010), immediately someone rushes in to DENY the whole thing, basically lying through their teeth!! There are countless other examples, the latest just being "Barrichello to Williams", which, although reported by several respectable news sources was immediately once again denied by I believe Barrichello as well as Williams... (likewise "Rosberg to Brawn" - same thing!)

What gives? I am starting to feel as if these guys think we are complete idiots. I understand that there is SOME secrecy needed to protect contracts, sponsors, and whatnot, but it just seems that lately almost every single story that broke was promptly lied about by someone who's involved... I'm tired of it. :rolleyes:

gloomyDAY
14th October 2009, 21:51
I think they keep things quiet because of contractual reasons.
You don't want to let the other guys know which cards you're holding.

driveace
14th October 2009, 21:54
According to Brazilian papers Barrichello has already signed for Williams

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 21:57
Such is the way of things nowadays, as companies of all types increase their obsession with media management, even if it means telling downright untruths.

Hondo
14th October 2009, 22:42
Formula 1 racing has become boring beyond belief. Until the powers that be figure out how to make it reasonably competitive again, they need the outside drama to keep the fan base entertained and interested. The last couple of years the drama away from the track has been more engrossing than the parade on the track.

Saint Devote
14th October 2009, 23:49
Until the parties involved make an announcement anything "disclosed" is not a fact.

Its those that publish "news" based on the hearsay that are the miscreants.

So what if the Barrichello-Williams story turns out to be true - it does not mean that the team or driver was lying - here's a thought: what if the contract has NOT been signed yet or at all?

It is nobody's business other than the team or the driver or their agents what happens and when they tell it.

The problem is often that these days, fans believe that they have a RIGHT to know - they do not. It is a private contractual matter.

Saint Devote
14th October 2009, 23:51
Formula 1 racing has become boring beyond belief. Until the powers that be figure out how to make it reasonably competitive again, they need the outside drama to keep the fan base entertained and interested. The last couple of years the drama away from the track has been more engrossing than the parade on the track.

:rolleyes: If you find f1 racing boring - don't watch. If f1 was something I was bored with I would not watch it.

I really will never understand people like yourself.

BDunnell
15th October 2009, 00:21
Until the parties involved make an announcement anything "disclosed" is not a fact.

Its those that publish "news" based on the hearsay that are the miscreants.

So what if the Barrichello-Williams story turns out to be true - it does not mean that the team or driver was lying - here's a thought: what if the contract has NOT been signed yet or at all?

It is nobody's business other than the team or the driver or their agents what happens and when they tell it.

The problem is often that these days, fans believe that they have a RIGHT to know - they do not. It is a private contractual matter.

The 'miscreants'. I think you over-react slightly.

You are correct, there is no right to know. But this is an attitude that now pervades a lot of business in which people do have a right to know — shareholders and consumers, for instance. It has well and truly got into government. I do not think this sort of 'spin' is healthy.

ArrowsFA1
15th October 2009, 08:21
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting really annoyed with the constant spreading of misinformation in F1?

It seems like as SOON as any news breaks (now most infamously, "Alonso to drive Ferrari in 2010), immediately someone rushes in to DENY the whole thing, basically lying through their teeth!!
I wouldn't blame those denying the "news", because more often than not it is not news at all, it is just speculation, and that speculation is just a result of having so many websites, all competing for clicks, looking for an "exclusive". Chances are they may strike lucky and their guesswork turns out to be right, but that's not too difficult to achieve when there are so many rumours floating about!

GridGirl
15th October 2009, 08:58
The think about F1 is that everybody in f1 knows but they dont want anyone outside of f1 to know. For example I knew that Ross Brawn had taken over Honda about a month before it came out in the press. To be fair I do have good and well connected sources but if the news can be passed down to me then I'm sure as hell the rest of the f1 paddock also knew about the deal. Then again I've also known and seen informal driver agreements in the past which after months and months of yeah its all going to happen have fallen apart near to a formal announcement.

I suppose that is just the way f1 works and will continue to do so.

Cooper_S
15th October 2009, 09:20
It is right and proper that parties involved have the right to mane announcements when they are ready to... do not blame the parties who are forced to deny the leaks until they are in a position to confirm...blame the people who leak the stories for their own ends usually money

Mark
15th October 2009, 09:35
Shouldn't the response be "You may think that; but I couldn't possibly comment"

maximilian
15th October 2009, 14:26
That's exactly what I am getting at... there are better ways to comment - such as above - or at least acknowledge that there "may be" negotiations going on, instead of just telling flat out LIES without flinching :p :

Stuartf12007
15th October 2009, 17:59
it keeps it all interesting clearly proven by this thread

Chris R
15th October 2009, 18:09

I agree with your approach but I think the problem gets to be that they can say whatever they like - people will believe what they want regardless of confirmations or denials....

Valve Bounce
16th October 2009, 09:17

It seems like as SOON as any news breaks (now most infamously, "Alonso to drive Ferrari in 2010), immediately someone rushes in to DENY the whole thing, basically lying through their teeth!! There are countless other examples, the latest just being "Barrichello to Williams", which, although reported by several respectable news sources was immediately once again denied by I believe Barrichello as well as Williams... (likewise "Rosberg to Brawn" - same thing!)

What gives? I am starting to feel as if these guys think we are complete idiots. I understand that there is SOME secrecy needed to protect contracts, sponsors, and whatnot, but it just seems that lately almost every single story that broke was promptly lied about by someone who's involved... I'm tired of it. :rolleyes:

I think many of the reporters have been going through our forum and reporting all the BS posted here as factual. :p :

Tumbo
16th October 2009, 12:13
you also have to remember that drivers have contracts in place and that sometimes these require stringent silence in relation to making known any information which may injure the interests of certain sponsers - as such time restrictions are placed and until these expire a driver cannot make mention of facts which may cause undue economic hardship such as disclosing communications w/ other teams.

maximilian
28th October 2009, 17:17
http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=350593&FS=F1

Now see, THAT is the kind of reply I would LIKE to see in these regards!! Well done, Nico.