PDA

View Full Version : Kia Cerato Koup - Shock Horror!

Rollo
12th October 2009, 23:51
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2009/06/24/kia_cerato_3_l_700.jpg

Have I gone totally insane, or have Kia made a car that a) doesn't make me want to vomit profusely all over the place and b) actually might like to have (not buy, just have).

For years we've suffered with the Korean Insect Assembly's (I think that's what Kia stands for), poorly made crud on the road. Why the hell they'd take pride in their car of that name was totally beyond me.

Is this the car that says that they may have made it as a legitimate car company?

wedge
13th October 2009, 00:24
They're one of the top car companies now. Ironically taking some of the same business ideas as their Japanese counterparts.

Done some good business over the past few months with the scrappage scheme.

I quite like the Cee'd

If only they had a decent motorsport portfolio and a couple of hot hatches and I'd be seriously tempted.

Azumanga Davo
13th October 2009, 07:03
Wow, if it holds together as good as it looks, I think they have a winner.

Roamy
13th October 2009, 07:21
This is what I think 2421

Daniel
13th October 2009, 07:50
Looks like an Integra.

Mark
13th October 2009, 09:09
For years KIA cars have been second only to Nissans to be the car that is ahead of you going at a stupidly slow speed.

Daniel
13th October 2009, 09:24
Looks like an Integra.
Meant to say a Civic Type R saloon :mark:

http://honda-type-r.com/photo/honda-civic-type-r-1.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 11:10
The concept looked less Hondarish

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/52_kia_koup_press_opt.jpg

Daniel
13th October 2009, 11:11
The concept looked less Hondarish

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/52_kia_koup_press_opt.jpg

Looks even more Hondaish

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/586/586992/honda-civic-si-concept-20050210033327624.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 11:14
Well , at least Korean cars now look like Japanese cars of today rather than Japanese cars of 10 years ago.

Daniel
13th October 2009, 11:15
Well , at least Korean cars now look like Japanese cars of today rather than Japanese cars of 10 years ago.

Yes but they're still dull, characterless pieces of crapola.

DexDexter
13th October 2009, 11:20
http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2009/06/24/kia_cerato_3_l_700.jpg

Have I gone totally insane, or have Kia made a car that a) doesn't make me want to vomit profusely all over the place and b) actually might like to have (not buy, just have).

For years we've suffered with the Korean Insect Assembly's (I think that's what Kia stands for), poorly made crud on the road. Why the hell they'd take pride in their car of that name was totally beyond me.

Is this the car that says that they may have made it as a legitimate car company?

This is just typical British stuff, you guys are just so prejudice when it comes to cars. Kia and Hyundai have made proper cars for years now. For example Kia cee'd is moore roomy, quieter, and has better diesel engines than, for example, Ford Focus. The badge thing is just so strong in the UK. Hyundai/Kia are totally legit, they are the 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world, with booming sales despite the recession. Come to think of it, my next car might well be a Kia, and over here, it's not a reflection of anything.

Daniel
13th October 2009, 11:22
This is just typical British stuff, you guys are just so prejudice when it comes to cars. Kia and Hyundai have made proper cars for years now. For example Kia cee'd is moore roomy, quieter, and has better diesel engines than, for example, Ford Focus. The badge thing is just so strong in the UK. Hyundai/Kia are totally legit, they are the 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world, with booming sales despite the recession.

No doubt that the reliability of Korean cars has improved but they still lack the flair of European designed cars. Even Japanese cars are guilty of this most of the time.

DexDexter
13th October 2009, 11:27
No doubt that the reliability of Korean cars has improved but they still lack the flair of European designed cars. Even Japanese cars are guilty of this most of the time.

I don't know, Peter Schreyer is the head of design office at Kia, and he is the man responsible for many Audis, including the TT. And by the way, many Kias are designed in Germany and manufactured in Slovakia. They aren't BMWs but they are definitely a company that's going places.

555-04Q2
13th October 2009, 11:32
This is just typical British stuff, you guys are just so prejudice when it comes to cars. Kia and Hyundai have made proper cars for years now. For example Kia cee'd is moore roomy, quieter, and has better diesel engines than, for example, Ford Focus. The badge thing is just so strong in the UK. Hyundai/Kia are totally legit, they are the 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world, with booming sales despite the recession. Come to think of it, my next car might well be a Kia, and over here, it's not a relection of anything.

I have to agree. Kia is building the best cars in the world now for value for money. Not even Toyota can touch them anymore. My wife is on her second Kia now, and last month I ordered the new Koup for her for delivery early next year which will be her third Kia in three years. She prefers Kia's to what she used to drive, VW Golf's! which are supposed to be the benchmark in the C segment car division.

People with d!@ks bigger than a Tic-Tac look past the snobby badge images of traditional manufacturers and see great cars at the right prices.

555-04Q2
13th October 2009, 11:34
I don't know, Peter Schreyer is the head of design office at Kia, and he is the man responsible for many Audis, including the TT. And by the way, many Kias are designed in Germany and manufactured in Slovakia. They aren't BMWs but they are definitely a company that's going places.

Indeed. Look at what Japan was producing 30 years ago. Now they have the largest auto maker in Toyota, they have bulletproof Honda's, Lexus etc etc. Korea is the new Japan.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 12:09
Producing reliable and value for money cars is very good but they still don't have same flair or class as European cars of a similar size.

My fridge freezer was value for money and reliable, but that doesn't make it exciting.

Daniel
13th October 2009, 12:11
Exactly Jon, the Koreans couldn't make something as classy or stylish as your Grande Punto.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 12:17
Exactly Jon, the Koreans couldn't make something as classy or stylish as your Grande Punto.

When it comes to reliability, my dad had a Kia Sorento and it was in the garage more than both my Fiat and the Chrysler he drives now. Fiat and Chrysler don't really have a reputation for building bulletproof cars.

Daniel
13th October 2009, 12:19
Modern Fiats are quite well made. Jon what probles has your GP given you?

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 12:32
Split breather pipe and a flat tyre

Daniel
13th October 2009, 12:34
So nothing really. Flat tyre could happen to anyone and a split breather pipe isn't a big problem either.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 12:48
Producing reliable and value for money cars is very good but they still don't have same flair or class as European cars of a similar size.

My fridge freezer was value for money and reliable, but that doesn't make it exciting.

Apparently the i20 and Cee'd have better dynamics than most of the euroboxes in their class. It may not be nice driving a fridge, but it's better than driving a handbag (Fiat 500).

Daniel
13th October 2009, 14:33
500 actually drives quite well!

DexDexter
13th October 2009, 17:04
500 actually drives quite well!

And it's a beauty! Italians just have it, style I mean.

Rollo
13th October 2009, 22:54
This is just typical British stuff, you guys are just so prejudice when it comes to cars. Kia and Hyundai have made proper cars for years now.

Really? I make about 14 for Hyundai and about maybe 3 for Kia.

I know from personal experience (which is usually a good teacher) that my X1 Excel was of a far worse standard that the Colt II which had been discontinued three years before it was produced and shared a great deal of mechanical components.
Likewise my experiences with Kia's Pride, Rio, Elan and Shuma led me to come to the conclusion that their build quality was to a far cheaper standard than it should have been.
Hyundai's first car that I think that they properly "nailed" was the Accent LC and Kia's first proper car was the Magentis MG.

I will conceed that usually it is ignorance that breeds hatred but in this case it's knowledge!

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 04:35
I find KIA's just cheap in the interior AND the motors Hyundai/KIA use are now in the race on HP but lack the mileage figures from what I have seen in the testing done in North America. That said, they are pretty decent looking little cars for the money.

DexDexter
14th October 2009, 10:30
Really? I make about 14 for Hyundai and about maybe 3 for Kia.

I know from personal experience (which is usually a good teacher) that my X1 Excel was of a far worse standard that the Colt II which had been discontinued three years before it was produced and shared a great deal of mechanical components.
Likewise my experiences with Kia's Pride, Rio, Elan and Shuma led me to come to the conclusion that their build quality was to a far cheaper standard than it should have been.
Hyundai's first car that I think that they properly "nailed" was the Accent LC and Kia's first proper car was the Magentis MG.

I will conceed that usually it is ignorance that breeds hatred but in this case it's knowledge!

You're talking about ancient models, their current model line up is very competitive. Datsuns and Toyotas were bad in the past as well. By the way, they started importing Kias over here in 2004 so we didn't get those early models. Skoda is another example of this badge thing, it's actually quite funny that Skoda Superb is in many ways a better car than soooo much more expensive premium cars, such as Mercedes E-class but some people still regard them as "eastern" cars.

555-04Q2
14th October 2009, 11:32
Likewise my experiences with Kia's Rio

My wife's first Kia was a 1.4 High Spec Rio and it was a brilliant car with full house and was 28% better priced than the equivelant spec Euro options. Not one days problem experienced during ownership. After sales service and motor plan was excellent too.

wedge
14th October 2009, 23:26
Skoda is another example of this badge thing, it's actually quite funny that Skoda Superb is in many ways a better car than soooo much more expensive premium cars, such as Mercedes E-class but some people still regard them as "eastern" cars.

People are waking up they're VW cars with similar build/interior quality

My wife's first Kia was a 1.4 High Spec Rio and it was a brilliant car with full house and was 28% better priced than the equivelant spec Euro options. Not one days problem experienced during ownership. After sales service and motor plan was excellent too.

Korean cars come with 7 year warranty in the UK

Daniel
14th October 2009, 23:42
a 7 year warranty sounds nice but it won't matter as most people won't keep the car anywhere near that length of time. Also interior quality of Seat's, VW's and Skoda's is not as good as they'd want you to think. Mmmmm scratchy plastic......

555-04Q2
15th October 2009, 11:23
Korean cars come with 7 year warranty in the UK

Some Kia and Hyundai models over here are covered by a 10 year / 150 000 KM warranty. Pretty confident these Koreans :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
15th October 2009, 11:26
Some Kia and Hyundai models over here are covered by a 10 year / 150 000 KM warranty. Pretty confident these Koreans :p :

Or maybe they know that people would have no reason to buy their cars if they came with the same warranty as the established European firms. You know they're pretty desperate when the biggest USP is the warranty.

Mark
15th October 2009, 12:36
It's not that their warranty is particularly good. It's that the warranties of the established brands are shockingly bad.

There is no reason why any new car shouldn't run reliably for 5 years or 120k as long as the service schedule is kept to.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 13:40
It's not that their warranty is particularly good. It's that the warranties of the established brands are shockingly bad.

There is no reason why any new car shouldn't run reliably for 5 years or 120k as long as the service schedule is kept to.

I would disagree. No matter how well designed a car is, things like electronics can fail at any time and with the fact that in Europe the roads are salted for a big part of the year the undeneath of cars over here cops a hammering. Any warranty that goes past 3 years or so will have a lot of conditions and get out clauses which will effectively make it worthless.

harsha
15th October 2009, 13:43
when are Kia cars being launched in India :cheese:

wedge
15th October 2009, 14:05
a 7 year warranty sounds nice but it won't matter as most people won't keep the car anywhere near that length of time. Also interior quality of Seat's, VW's and Skoda's is not as good as they'd want you to think. Mmmmm scratchy plastic......

They serve a market where private buyers aren't snobbish or want to keep up with the Jones, just a car that is well built and last a long time and cheap to own and maintain.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 15:21
They serve a market where private buyers aren't snobbish or want to keep up with the Jones, just a car that is well built and last a long time and cheap to own and maintain.

Of course but I somehow suspect that the sort of people who don't want to keep up with the Joneses won't generally be the sorts of people who buy a new car anyway. At the moment things are a little bit strange and there are lots of people like myself who would never have bought a new car who are doing so because of scrappage but I do think that when the money from the extension dries up it'll be the Kia's, Hyundai's and so on who will be worst hurt.

Malbec
15th October 2009, 17:53
Or maybe they know that people would have no reason to buy their cars if they came with the same warranty as the established European firms. You know they're pretty desperate when the biggest USP is the warranty.

Thirty years ago your exact words would have been aimed at these crappy brands calling themselves 'Toyota' or 'Honda'. Personality free but reliable cars from some odd bit of Asia, who'd buy them when you could buy a proper car like a Rover or a Jaguar? Good old British companies those, you'd never see proper companies like that disappear eh?

As others have said, the snobbish British attitude towards brands isn't replicated in many other places but Brits seem to expect others to think the same way. Makers like Jaguar were left astonished when customers in places like the US decided to shift loyalties en-masse to new brands with no history or class like Lexus or Acura. Who'd have thought people would want a cheaper product that is just as good or better than the European competition?

I don't think Hyundai or Kia would have too much to worry from the end of the scrappage scheme, they'd be too busy building cars for the huge Chinese market and making bumper profits again.

Its a shame British complacency never disappears, its been the cause of death of many an excellent industry.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 18:00
Thirty years ago your exact words would have been aimed at these crappy brands calling themselves 'Toyota' or 'Honda'. Personality free but reliable cars from some odd bit of Asia, who'd buy them when you could buy a proper car like a Rover or a Jaguar? Good old British companies those, you'd never see proper companies like that disappear eh?

As others have said, the snobbish British attitude towards brands isn't replicated in many other places but Brits seem to expect others to think the same way. Makers like Jaguar were left astonished when customers in places like the US decided to shift loyalties en-masse to new brands with no history or class like Lexus or Acura. Who'd have thought people would want a cheaper product that is just as good or better than the European competition?

I don't think Hyundai or Kia would have too much to worry from the end of the scrappage scheme, they'd be too busy building cars for the huge Chinese market and making bumper profits again.

Its a shame British complacency never disappears, its been the cause of death of many an excellent industry.
All very true but you've got to consider these days that reliability is pretty much a given with cars so personality is what differentiates cars these days.

Personality is why when we wanted to buy a car I was initially wanting one of these

http://www.carpages.co.uk/fiat/fiat_images/fiat-panda-01-05-09.jpg

Yet we ended up with this for many thousands of pounds more

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5717.JPG

Same car and in fact it's even less practical but I bet you know which one Fiat is selling at full price and which one Fiat is discounting by thousands.

Malbec
15th October 2009, 18:25
All very true but you've got to consider these days that reliability is pretty much a given with cars so personality is what differentiates cars these days.

Personality is why when we wanted to buy a car I was initially wanting one of these

Sure, the worst cars today are infinitely more reliable than even the best thirty years ago but perceptions haven't changed and perception sells cars.

Ask yourself Daniel not why people buy the 500 which harks back to the very best of what FIAT stands for, but why people don't buy too many other FIATs, why they have difficulty standing up to the Golf or Passat? I'd argue that in most ways FIATs are not so different from VWs yet the German company can't seem to help making a profit whereas FIAT has only just turned things round. Not every car can be a 500 or Mini, and not every Mini subtype can address the needs of every customer.

BTW the days of cars being configured to European tastes and needs are largely over, increasingly we're going to find cars designed specifically with the US and China in mind and Hyundai/Kia are in a far better position in those markets than companies like FIAT.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 19:02
Sure, the worst cars today are infinitely more reliable than even the best thirty years ago but perceptions haven't changed and perception sells cars.

Ask yourself Daniel not why people buy the 500 which harks back to the very best of what FIAT stands for, but why people don't buy too many other FIATs, why they have difficulty standing up to the Golf or Passat? I'd argue that in most ways FIATs are not so different from VWs yet the German company can't seem to help making a profit whereas FIAT has only just turned things round. Not every car can be a 500 or Mini, and not every Mini subtype can address the needs of every customer.

BTW the days of cars being configured to European tastes and needs are largely over, increasingly we're going to find cars designed specifically with the US and China in mind and Hyundai/Kia are in a far better position in those markets than companies like FIAT.

People don't buy Fiat's because pre-Panda they were almost all crap in some way shape or form. The VAG brands are synonymous with quality but is this justified? I've heard from a number of people that VAG and BMW in particular are heavily involved in "influencing" magazines and what they say about their products and also other companies product as well. Mini's have a lot of mechanical problems which show up quite frequently on forums yet for some reason whenever you read a review in a magazine there's never any mention of this. BMW also offer stupidly cheap servicing plans on the Mini which on the surface seems a great thing but there's a reason behind that and that is so that they can pretty much guarantee that Mini's will come into BMW garages so they can undertake recall work without having to publicise it and give themselves a bad name. Not cool for the customer but definitely a slick way of doing business while actually appearing to provide the customer with good cheap servicing.

Now I don't know if our car has been made with well designed components or if it's been fitted with a faulty batch of part x which could cause it to catch fire but at least I know that if this has happened and Fiat are aware of it then they'll send me a letter ASAP and won't hide it from me like BMW will.

Can I ask a question to anyone reading this thread...... would you feel comfortable buying a car from a company who offers cheap service plans merely so they can do recall work without you knowing? :s mokin:

Hondo
15th October 2009, 23:52
I think most the UK and European guys prefer to drive something from a company with an established racing heritage. Nothing wrong with that. Usually, practicality and durability, especially amongst younger drivers, take a back seat to those endearing qualities that make John Thomas stand up and start sniffing the open road. When you nail the gas and your butt pressed down in the seat and John Thomas starts to wake up, well, thats torque doing that, not thoughts of your great service plan.

I wouldn't worry about it one way or another if I were a Brit. Your government needs tax revenue and they keep insisting on this green thing. I wouldn't be suprised if within 4 years, private ownership of automobiles in Britain is down to a third of what it is now. You just won't be able to afford one even if you could satisfy the requirements on the certificate of need, required and issued by the government before you can purchase an automobile.

Malbec
15th October 2009, 23:54
I wouldn't worry about it one way or another if I were a Brit. Your government needs tax revenue and they keep insisting on this green thing. I wouldn't be suprised if within 4 years, private ownership of automobiles in Britain is down to a third of what it is now. You just won't be able to afford one even if you could satisfy the requirements on the certificate of need, required and issued by the government before you can purchase an automobile.

What the hell are you on about?

Brown, Jon Brow
15th October 2009, 23:59
Quite interesting that people are saying that racing heritage is something that influences their buying decisions. My Marketing dissertation is on Motor Sport being used by car manufacturers in marketing.

Daniel
17th October 2009, 16:31
Quite interesting that people are saying that racing heritage is something that influences their buying decisions. My Marketing dissertation is on Motor Sport being used by car manufacturers in marketing.
Tbh racing heritage doesn't bother me these days because most road versions of rally cars (the sport I like the most) don't even have the same layout as the competition car let alone any of the things that make them good competition cars.

Dave B
17th October 2009, 18:51
Tbh racing heritage doesn't bother me these days because most road versions of rally cars (the sport I like the most) don't even have the same layout as the competition car let alone any of the things that make them good competition cars.
Yes, but you know about cars. The average Max Power reader will think "ooh I've got the same car as Sebastien Loeb, aren't I cool?" without really understanding the hundreds of differences beyond the basic shape and the badge on the bonnet.

Daniel
17th October 2009, 19:02
Good point :) But i think back in the Group A rallying days when the cars were turbo 4wd like the rally cars the link was stronger and the advertising reflected this. Good point though :p

DexDexter
17th October 2009, 22:34

I'm sure it has an effect. I myself, for example, still remember Lancia quite fondly because of their rallying days with Markku Alen.

Malbec
17th October 2009, 23:36
I'm sure it has an effect. I myself, for example, still remember Lancia quite fondly because of their rallying days with Markku Alen.

I think it has an effect on the older markets like Europe, America and Japan.

The biggest market in the world at the moment though is China, and given the questions put to some of the F1 drivers at the first Shanghai GP I doubt people there really know or care about motorsports. They still buy tons of cars though, loads of Hyundais and Kias in particular.

driveace
18th October 2009, 00:26
To you guys who have not tried a Kia for a while ,then try a test drive .It might not set your world on fire but they are pretty well made .On my second Sorento now (first one 3 years ,second one 3 years ),I can vouch for their reliability.No need for any returns to the dealers for any guarantee work at all.

donKey jote
18th October 2009, 11:07
This is just typical British stuff, you guys are just so prejudice when it comes to cars.
:up:
but if you think the Brits are bad, try coming to Germany where they still actually build brands of their own ! :laugh: :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

wedge
19th October 2009, 00:50

It's a bit like supporting your team via merchandising.

I suppose its me being gullible and stupid thinking Hopefully my money is doing its bit of their motorsports programme and not to some shareholder's pockets.

Daniel
19th October 2009, 21:35
It's a bit like supporting your team via merchandising.

I suppose its me being gullible and stupid thinking Hopefully my money is doing its bit of their motorsports programme and not to some shareholder's pockets.
I don't support my teams via merchandising. I buy stuff because I like the look of it :)

Anyway getting back on topic there are other reasons why I don't think Kia are anything to worry about at the moment for other manufacturers

Crappy adverts!
DRow3PZyu2Q

Daniel
19th October 2009, 21:53
I don't support my teams via merchandising. I buy stuff because I like the look of it :)

Anyway getting back on topic there are other reasons why I don't think Kia are anything to worry about at the moment for other manufacturers

Crappy adverts!
DRow3PZyu2Q
For me this the following 3 adverts are what car adverts should be like if manufacturers want to sell cars

One of my favourite ads of all time
2qI6mFk_6OA
and a couple of my other favourites as well.
SvfLhEhOTyk
UTrviFwb9EE