PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone wants Monday testing sessions

CNR
11th October 2009, 23:44
this works for motogp

http://www.f1times.co.uk/ecclestone-wants-monday-testing-sessions-826.html

Bernie Ecclestone has hinted that a novel approach to reducing testing costs will be adopted by Formula One in the near future.

This year's in-season testing ban has been controversial, not because the teams have struggled to develop their cars, but because it has all but ended the test-driver era as well as made it difficult for newcomers to enter the sport.

"I am sure that in the future we will test on the Monday after races," the F1 chief executive said in an interview with Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

gloomyDAY
11th October 2009, 23:52
Finally! Quite a sensible decision.

The newcomers suck because they have no time to acclimatise.

Also, such a big peeve of mine is when testing took place a week before the race was staged at the same venue. Everyone pretty much knew where they would be on Saturday morning for qualifying.

wedge
12th October 2009, 00:20
I think the current system has worked out quite well. I like the idea that you bring parts and have no idea if it works in the real world or not.

Perhaps give them in-season official testing sessions.

Saint Devote
12th October 2009, 00:24
Months ago Gary Anderson advocated Thursday testing at the track and this makes more sense than AFTER a grand prix.

New drivers would have an opportunity to test before a race and an exhausted team would not have to endure an additional day.

How would this affect the engine and gearbox rules - more allowed for testing?

Valve Bounce
12th October 2009, 00:37
I think that Thursday testing is the way to go. These sessions could be free to the public which would create interest in F1 from fringe motorsport followers. It would actually be profitable for organisers who would make money from the sale of all the paraphernalia, food and drinks on the venue. And it could create more ticket sales for those who would return for the rest of the weekend.

Saint Devote
12th October 2009, 01:01
I think that Thursday testing is the way to go. These sessions could be free to the public which would create interest in F1 from fringe motorsport followers. It would actually be profitable for organisers who would make money from the sale of all the paraphernalia, food and drinks on the venue. And it could create more ticket sales for those who would return for the rest of the weekend.

Very good. I don't think it would be free however.

But imagine if a test Thursday WAS FREE and a return for one day each grand prix to the days of yore when fans had reasonable access to the paddock and watch the teams up close working on the cars, sometimes stand and chat to drivers sitting around outside and ......

:eek: Wake Up!!
Well thats how it used to be :D

maximilian
12th October 2009, 01:01
I wouldn't mind an open testing day on Thursday, where a team can run 3 cars and drivers (the test driver with his own car/engine/grearbox allotment), then on Friday, just the 2 drivers that will be racing...

Ari
12th October 2009, 01:31

Free to public? Except in Melbourne where Thursday is already a paying track day which just doesn't feature any F1 cars.

It's a 4 day weekend in Melbourne already. I would LOVE it if they decided to throw in Thursday testing next year. :D I already have my 4 day pass so it would just be a bonus.

I think it's a better idea than Monday testing as you can really prepare for the track. That said, I do see the sense in Monday testing because you can prepare the car for the season which also has value.

woody2goody
12th October 2009, 02:21
My school of thought is that teams could run two cars on a Monday or a Thursday, maybe their 'official' third driver, and a veteran tester or second youngster.

This way, teams can get a lot of good mileage, and TWO drivers can learn the tracks and car.

speeddurango
12th October 2009, 03:15
The reason why it's on Monday not prior to the race is that with many enough test at that raced circuit will lead to less varieties in the race due to the more comprehensive knowledge the teams would have of the circuit. So that the Monday test makes sense both for the racing spectacles as well as the teams and drivers. Thusly, Monday test is the way to go if there should be any in-season testing.

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 09:21
I know why people would prefer Thursday testing but Monday makes more sense. It means teams can relax and go through a test regeime without worrying about a race and not bending anything. It also means that they can use it to actually test against some live race data rather than just a glorified set-up session.

If you have it on Thursday, it would be more about setting the car up for the weekend rather than allowing a 3rd driver to test and possibly gain experience.

DexDexter
12th October 2009, 10:53
I know why people would prefer Thursday testing but Monday makes more sense. It means teams can relax and go through a test regeime without worrying about a race and not bending anything. It also means that they can use it to actually test against some live race data rather than just a glorified set-up session.

If you have it on Thursday, it would be more about setting the car up for the weekend rather than allowing a 3rd driver to test and possibly gain experience.

I agree and if teams had more time to set up their cars on Thursdays, the races would be boring since everybody had optimised their setups come Saturday and the fastest car would be in front. Monday is better.

harsha
12th October 2009, 11:00
what about a race on thursday...half length maybe featuring the test drivers only :?:

wedge
12th October 2009, 12:21
I think Monday testing would be better than Thursday/Friday. Would make the race weekend less predictable.

waitey
12th October 2009, 14:13
great idea! there are arguments for holding it on the Thursday and the Monday. The Monday would feel strange because the main event has already happened. It's like having a practice session for tennis players the day after a grand slam. Or a practice session for the soccer team on the same venue the day after they win the Champions League. So in that sense Thursday makes more sense, but as others say, it would create make the race weekend less predictable and would just be used as extra practice sessions for the weekend.

So Monday could work but I would hope it would actually be the test drivers in the car for the majority of the time and a designated youngster. They could even give rookie youngsters an amazing test opportunity in their own country and we could see a lot more drivers having a chance to demonstrate their ability behind an F1 car which just simply hasn't been an option for the past few years.

So a Monday relaxed session whereby people can come and watch for the enjoyment of the cars after the race weekend and see some new rookie drivers, the test driver and potentially some limited running from a regular race driver.

Easy Drifter
12th October 2009, 14:31
Unless you only use a 3rd car you are going to have tired cars and mechanics. Tiered mechanics whatever. Tired mechanics make mistakes.
When testing you like to try new parts so even more work for the crews fitting them.
Remember next year there is supposed to be a reduction in the number of at the track personal.
A limited number of test days during the season makes the most sense to me.
A Thurs. test day would likely be used as just another set up day even if you restricted it to test drivers.

truefan72
12th October 2009, 14:50
I wouldn't mind an open testing day on Thursday, where a team can run 3 cars and drivers (the test driver with his own car/engine/grearbox allotment), then on Friday, just the 2 drivers that will be racing...
that is the perfect solution.
If it were on a thursday I would make the price incredibly low and just a but higher for paddock access. or make it part of the ticket price to any of the other 3 days.

truefan72
12th October 2009, 14:51

Ok i now see the point. yes you are right

Mark
12th October 2009, 14:59

Exactly. Thursday testing would be completely focussed on the Grand Prix weekend ahead and getting set up for that. Whereas on Monday the GP is finished.

Plus you don't have to have it at every track and every Monday. Tracks like Monaco for example wouldn't have a test session, but Barcelona definitely would.

It can also be a cheap way for fans to see F1 cars if they can't afford the proper race weekend. Tests are usually free I think.

I don't see why Monday would be 'strange'; it's no different from any mid-season test. It's just that transport costs are kept low as the teams are already there.

ioan
12th October 2009, 15:04
Months ago Gary Anderson advocated Thursday testing at the track and this makes more sense than AFTER a grand prix.

No it doesn't.
The teams will use the day to set up their cars for the coming week end instead of testing new drivers or parts for future GP.

ioan
12th October 2009, 15:06
what about a race on thursday...half length maybe featuring the test drivers only :?:

And a test day for them on Wednesday? And what not?!

Blancvino
12th October 2009, 17:14

New drivers would have an opportunity to test before a race and an exhausted team would not have to endure an additional day.

How would this affect the engine and gearbox rules - more allowed for testing?

I agree but F1 would, in my view, need to stop back-to-back races so teams have time to get set up at the next venue and be ready to test on Thursday.

I think having one engine and gearbox for "testing only" could solve this issue.

Allyc85
12th October 2009, 17:21
I cant believe they are only just twigging on to this, ive been saying this for years!!

Sonic
12th October 2009, 18:21
I prefer the Monday test.

I would like to see each team run a single car for the official test driver with a second car on a couple of times per season for a youngster (preferably from the host GP's country - or nearby if no suitable tallent is available).

To keep costs down there shouldn't be a test after every GP. If there is only a single week gap, or if the track is a winter test haven.

UltimateDanGTR
12th October 2009, 19:17
i think Thursday test before grands prix where a two or more week gap is in place, gives more time for the whole team IMO. There should then be less long breaks, and more 2 week intervals and less 1 week breaks. Time for teams to test AND keeps us fans bored less of the time!

I think thursday test are a great idea, not so sure on monday tests, especially if it was a fruitless race weekend before!

Thursday wins in my book as a better F1 test day, Id definatly be for that.

harsha
12th October 2009, 19:58
And a test day for them on Wednesday? And what not?!

not really...just a testing session of around 10 laps...with the qualifying / race to follow....there's no reason why everything can't be done in 1 day...esp if you are reducing the race distance....

ioan
12th October 2009, 20:01
not really...just a testing session of around 10 laps...with the qualifying / race to follow....there's no reason why everything can't be done in 1 day...esp if you are reducing the race distance....

They lose testing time, after all they will have only one day every 2nd week, why lose it with allowing drivers like Badoer to possibly destroy the car before the race week end even started?

DexDexter
12th October 2009, 20:11
No it doesn't.
The teams will use the day to set up their cars for the coming week end instead of testing new drivers or parts for future GP.

:up:

Mark
13th October 2009, 08:45
I prefer the Monday test.

I would like to see each team run a single car for the official test driver with a second car on a couple of times per season for a youngster (preferably from the host GP's country - or nearby if no suitable tallent is available).

To keep costs down there shouldn't be a test after every GP. If there is only a single week gap, or if the track is a winter test haven.

Sounds sensible. They shouldn't either have to use their normal season allocation of engines either. A suitable allocation, say 2 engines can be given for testing purposes, if they blow up, no more testing!

V12
13th October 2009, 11:56
Bernie in sensible logical idea shocker!! :eek:

I'm speechless, I'm really am. Obviously I'd be all for it if it was ever implemented, provided it was proper testing without silly engine/gearbox/tyre limits.

Sonic
13th October 2009, 14:31
Sounds sensible. They shouldn't either have to use their normal season allocation of engines either. A suitable allocation, say 2 engines can be given for testing purposes, if they blow up, no more testing!

Agreed. And one gearbox.

ioan
13th October 2009, 15:47

Agreed. And one gearbox.

Are you guys kidding?!

17 testing days with 2 engines and one gearbox?
They run between 1 and 2 race distances on a typical testing day.
Where did you see a F1 engine that can survive at least 10 race distances or a gearbox for 20 race distances?!

AndyL
13th October 2009, 18:42
Agreed. And one gearbox.

That would be a bit harsh for teams wanting to test a new design of gearbox :) (it's not subject to the engine freeze AFAIK)

Sonic
13th October 2009, 21:39
Are you guys kidding?!

17 testing days with 2 engines and one gearbox?
They run between 1 and 2 race distances on a typical testing day.
Where did you see a F1 engine that can survive at least 10 race distances or a gearbox for 20 race distances?!

Didn't mean that. I was speaking of the "youngster car" that would get a roll out 2 or 3 times a season.