PDA

View Full Version : America, you can now wear your military uniform with gay pride.

gloomyDAY
11th October 2009, 19:24
FKOTX0OmlNk&feature=player_embedded

GridGirl
11th October 2009, 21:06
It's just not gonna happen. There is nothing to stop footballers in the Premiership or any other English league coming out as being gay but it has only ever happened once and he later committed suicide. The law of averages must mean there are more gay footballers but they will never come out and I guess the majority of gay people in the armed forces won't either.

gloomyDAY
11th October 2009, 21:39
I don't see it happening either.
There are probably Generals already writing up their resignations.

Let's remember who makes up the majority of the American military. White, Christian, low to middle income recruits, & conservative. This could be disastrous in terms of gathering more numbers to fight in AF-castro-STAN and I-harveymilk-RAQ.

BeansBeansBeans
11th October 2009, 21:45
It's just not gonna happen. There is nothing to stop footballers in the Premiership or any other English league coming out as being gay but it has only ever happened once and he later committed suicide. The law of averages must mean there are more gay footballers but they will never come out and I guess the majority of gay people in the armed forces won't either.

There are footballers in the premier league who are out (ie to their friends, team-mates and family) but do not reveal it pubically due to fear of the inevitable crowd reaction.

I applaud Obama for this. Like it or not, some people (approx 7% or something) are homosexual. Always have been. Accepting homosexuality will not lead to more people becoming homosexual, it will just mean that those who are can be themselves instead of trying to fight or conceal what they are.

Mark in Oshawa
15th October 2009, 00:48
The whole issue of the US military and Gay's is really quite silly. The US Military cannot ask you about your sexual preference. If you are bold enough to be out of the closet, as long as your superior's don't know, you are ok. So I guess there needs to be a change BUT lets also realize the fact that no one forces gays into the military, and anyone discriminating against them in the sense of harassments or assaults would be up on charges of courtmaritial. Their rights as citizens are being respected EXCEPT for the right to be out of the closet.

SHould the US military change on this? I think so, but I can understand the reluctance. When you look at where the Gay rights activists have a beef, and the issues they get all excited about, I would have to think this would be low on the priority list. I don't think there is a large groundswell of gays wanting to join Uncle Sam's army. What is more, those who wanted to join, understand the rules and culture and have likely adapted and likely are NOT out of the closet in their work life.

The Gay rights activist movement often oversells their arguments and uses theatrics that turn off the general public who might be swayed by a rational and intelligent discourse. Having men in dresses protesting in Washington likely wont make the case....