PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson slams TV bosses..Funny read

steve_spackman
9th October 2009, 22:04
Jeremy Clarkson has ridiculed TV bosses for being obsessed with having "black Muslim lesbians" on shows to balance out the numbers of white heterosexual men. Clarkson made his comments in a column for the November issue of Top Gear magazine in response to a barrage of questions from people working in the media about the lack of female presenters on the BBC show.
He said: "The problem is that television executives have got it into their heads that if one presenter on a show is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed heterosexual boy, the other must be a black Muslim lesbian." He went on: "Chalk and cheese, they reckon, works. But here we have Top Gear setting new records after six years using cheese and cheese. It confuses them."

Clarkson went on to defend women drivers and ask why there are not more of them in Formula One. He said: "Unlike furious thin-lipped feminists, I tend not to draw distinctions between men and women, apart from in bed where you really do need to spot the differences. "At work, girls are just people. It's the same story at parties and it's specially the same on the road.
"The worst driver in the world is Top Gear's studio director ... He cannot park without kerbing the wheels and he cannot get into his own drive without crashing into his house. And he has a scrotum."
He heaped praise on the skills of racing driver and TV presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson, which led him to ask: "Why is Formula One more male than the lavatories at a Turkish steam room?" :rotflmao:

Mark in Oshawa
9th October 2009, 23:47
Jeremy Clarkson has ridiculed TV bosses for being obsessed with having "black Muslim lesbians" on shows to balance out the numbers of white heterosexual men. Clarkson made his comments in a column for the November issue of Top Gear magazine in response to a barrage of questions from people working in the media about the lack of female presenters on the BBC show.
He said: "The problem is that television executives have got it into their heads that if one presenter on a show is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed heterosexual boy, the other must be a black Muslim lesbian." He went on: "Chalk and cheese, they reckon, works. But here we have Top Gear setting new records after six years using cheese and cheese. It confuses them."

Clarkson went on to defend women drivers and ask why there are not more of them in Formula One. He said: "Unlike furious thin-lipped feminists, I tend not to draw distinctions between men and women, apart from in bed where you really do need to spot the differences. "At work, girls are just people. It's the same story at parties and it's specially the same on the road.
"The worst driver in the world is Top Gear's studio director ... He cannot park without kerbing the wheels and he cannot get into his own drive without crashing into his house. And he has a scrotum."
He heaped praise on the skills of racing driver and TV presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson, which led him to ask: "Why is Formula One more male than the lavatories at a Turkish steam room?" :rotflmao:

Clarkson is against tokenism and quotas. The BBC, like any gov't organization is often infested by people who live and die by political correctness. I think Clarkson just loves to tweak them a little.

donKey jote
10th October 2009, 00:49
Clarkson is good for a laugh if you don't take him too seriously... problem is some people actually do, possibly including himself :p : :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
10th October 2009, 00:54
Clarkson is good for a laugh if you don't take him too seriously... problem is some people actually do, possibly including himself :p : :dozey:
I don't think Jeremy takes himself too seriously.....just a lot of people hate it when he is right....

MrJan
10th October 2009, 01:44
Clarkson definately takes himself too seriously, it's only a matter of time before he believes that he can be a politician and a bunch of numpties vote him in.

He's going over old ground with that quota thing, barely a week goes by without him mentioning it in one of his publications in some way. And I don't fall for the women driver thing, he's constantly treating them differently and making remarks...besides F1 is all male because there isn't yet a woman who is quick enough and he knows it.

Mark in Oshawa
10th October 2009, 04:57
Jan...I think you take Jeremy a little too serious. Mind you, he will admit often he is a bit of chavunist. As for him running for office, god I hope not. I agree with the dumb sod on a lot but I wouldn't want him spoil a good thing by being a pol....

Daniel
10th October 2009, 09:11
So true :) It's funny when you hear people saying Clarkson for PM and other such things :p

MrJan
10th October 2009, 15:15
Jan...I think you take Jeremy a little too serious. Mind you, he will admit often he is a bit of chavunist. As for him running for office, god I hope not. I agree with the dumb sod on a lot but I wouldn't want him spoil a good thing by being a pol....

You've got to remember that he is absolutely everywhere over here, there is barely an hour of the day when one TV channel isn't repeating Top Gear so I've seen a hell of a lot of him and it's all wearing very thin. When I used to get TG magazine there was a free Clarkson book one week which was a collection of his old columns, nearly all of them were making the same points he's making today....only they were written 15/20 years ago :) Out in the Empire countries (Commonwealth my arse) I assume that you aren't bombarded by the old sod in quite the same way so it's not quite as tiresome yet but I just wish he'd change the record.

BeansBeansBeans
10th October 2009, 17:00
I wouldn't say I disliked him but as Jan Yeo says he's ubiquitous and boring.

andrew.
10th October 2009, 17:24
Clarkson's bang on with this one.

Bezza
12th October 2009, 09:52
I wouldn't say I disliked him but as Jan Yeo says he's ubiquitous and boring.

A little bit too outspoken and politically incorrect for you, BBB?

He says what he thinks. End of. And thats why I like him.

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 09:59

I don't find him very outspoken or politically incorrect. He just has an extremely limited comic repetoire and it has become boring. Stewart Lee does a brilliant bit about TG as part of his latest show. Now he is funny.

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 13:54

I think it's very sad that being 'politically incorrect', which is just a euphemism for 'xenophobic, sexist, homophobic and boorish', is now considered such a high form of humour. And he's not all that 'politically incorrect' either - most of his views are deeply conventional right-wing nonsense that one hears all the time I think it's a shame that so many people in Britain, a country with such great traditions of humour and comedy (and which are thankfully still maintained by many excellent individuals who are mostly left-wing and liberal), should find the inadequate rants of a motoring journalist so amusing.

Daniel
12th October 2009, 18:42
I think it's very sad that being 'politically incorrect', which is just a euphemism for 'xenophobic, sexist, homophobic and boorish', is now considered such a high form of humour. And he's not all that 'politically incorrect' either - most of his views are deeply conventional right-wing nonsense that one hears all the time I think it's a shame that so many people in Britain, a country with such great traditions of humour and comedy (and which are thankfully still maintained by many excellent individuals who are mostly left-wing and liberal), should find the inadequate rants of a motoring journalist so amusing.
It says a lot about the sad state of the UK when someone can so easily gain popularity with opinions which with all due respect are just ****. I don't mind Clarkson on Top Gear and as part of the team he works but he's nothing more than a pisspoor motoring journalist at best with his stupid "Brakes made out of Wispa wrappers" type analogies.

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 20:13
It says a lot about the sad state of the UK when someone can so easily gain popularity with opinions which with all due respect are just ****. I don't mind Clarkson on Top Gear and as part of the team he works but he's nothing more than a pisspoor motoring journalist at best with his stupid "Brakes made out of Wispa wrappers" type analogies.

The thing is, those sorts of analogies used to be quite fresh and funny, but it's all he seems able to do, and he's been doing it for years across seemginly endless platforms, and it becomes dull.

I'd even admit that his non-PC (for want of a better phrase) outbursts used to be quite spontaneous and fresh in an "I can't believe he just said that!"
sort of way, but now it seems to be a scheduled part of the show. Right, here's the news, and now I'm going to needlessly and witlessly offend gays / Germans / environmental campaigners to keep the target audience happy.

Daniel
12th October 2009, 20:18
Yes he seems to just say stuff because that's what he did in the past and it's just silly.

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 20:22
Still, he did once punch Piers Morgan so there'll always be a place in my heart for him.

Daniel
12th October 2009, 20:23
Still, he did once punch Piers Morgan so there'll always be a place in my heart for him.
Lay off the guy! He's a national treasure then! :p

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 20:28
Clarkson for PM!

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 08:09
He's going over old ground with that quota thing, barely a week goes by without him mentioning it in one of his publications in some way. .
Quotas need all the abuse they can get, they are an idiotic creation.

a country with such great traditions of humour and comedy (and which are thankfully still maintained by many excellent individuals who are mostly left-wing and liberal),.

So you are telling me that most comedians you like are complete idiots with no understanding of life, besides their crazy little world where they live in that has nothing to do with reality?

MrJan
13th October 2009, 08:58
That's right Garry, lefties and liberals are living in a fantasy land :rolleyes: You're obviously an intelligent bloke but every now and then you say something that is really f***ing stupid.

I actually agree that this quota stuff is rubbish (although how much is actually going on and how much is media created spin I'm not sure) but Clarkson going over the same old crap for 15-20 years means that his remarks have lost any bite which they may have had, now he just sounds like some bricklayer who reads The Sun and is ticked off at the world for no real reason.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 09:01
I actually agree that this quota stuff is rubbish.

Affirmate action was a good idea. Back in the bad old days people would often pass over minorities due to deeply-held prejudices, regardless of their ability to perform. Forcing employers to address this was undoubtedly a good thing in my opinion. As with anything though, it can occasionally be taken too far. It is possible that society has now progressed to an extent that it isn't really necessary anymore.

Mark
13th October 2009, 09:15
Regardless of what you think of Clarkson, he does raise a good point in his article. That you have three white, hetrosexual (yes, James May has a girlfriend :p ) males.

Whereas you'd more normally expect once they have someone like Clarkson, that it would follow that the other would be a woman and the third would be non-white.

Which is nonsense of course because it depends on ability to do the job so if three white males are the best, so be it, or if it happens to be three Australians... actually no.

Garry Walker
13th October 2009, 09:16
That's right Garry, lefties and liberals are living in a fantasy land :rolleyes: You're obviously an intelligent bloke but every now and then you say something that is really f***ing stupid.
From my personal experience, lefties and liberals really tend to have quite weird ways of looking at the world and are quite distant with reality. Like they are living in a bubble of their own where the demands of the real world become non-existant.

I actually agree that this quota stuff is rubbish (although how much is actually going on and how much is media created spin I'm not sure) but Clarkson going over the same old crap for 15-20 years means that his remarks have lost any bite which they may have had, now he just sounds like some bricklayer who reads The Sun and is ticked off at the world for no real reason.Quotas in America are quite "popular"
They are an idiotic creation.
People should be judged on one thing only for any job or university access - their ability.
I will never hire a woman (or a man) or a black just because someone forces it on me with quotas. I would rather close down my company.
Only one thing matters - ability.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th October 2009, 10:54
I think it's very sad that being 'politically incorrect', which is just a euphemism for 'xenophobic, sexist, homophobic and boorish', is now considered such a high form of humour.

I think many of the people who complain about political correctness seem to confuse political correctness with health and safety legislation. But is it political correctness that means teachers have stopped calling the black kids in their school 'jungle monkeys' like they did 30 years ago, or is it that people are better educated about such issues today?

I can't help feel that many of the political correctness gone mad rants are completely made up. Schools have phased out blackboards and introduced dry-wipe boards, but I remember people saying 'schools aren't allowed to have blackboards now in case it offends black kids, it's political correctness gone mad.'

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 10:58
Regardless of what you think of Clarkson, he does raise a good point in his article. That you have three white, hetrosexual (yes, James May has a girlfriend :p ) males.

Whereas you'd more normally expect once they have someone like Clarkson, that it would follow that the other would be a woman and the third would be non-white.

Ironically, it has never occured to me that Top Gear's line-up of three white, straight, male presenters is unusual, but it obviously has occured to Clarkson.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 11:00
But is it political correctness that means teachers have stopped calling the black kids in their school 'jungle monkeys' like they did 30 years ago, or is it that people are better educated about such issues today?

I think people are better educated and more sensitive to this because of political correctness.

BDunnell
13th October 2009, 14:01
So you are telling me that most comedians you like are complete idiots with no understanding of life, besides their crazy little world where they live in that has nothing to do with reality?

No, they're not like you. They're actually quite intelligent, nuanced, amusing and sensible.

MrJan
13th October 2009, 14:44
'jungle monkeys'

As far as I was aware the correct term is jungle bunnies. Actually I'm constantly amazed by quite how racist the blokes at my work can be, some of the names they come out with I thought had stopped being used in the '70s

BDunnell
13th October 2009, 14:58
I think many of the people who complain about political correctness seem to confuse political correctness with health and safety legislation. But is it political correctness that means teachers have stopped calling the black kids in their school 'jungle monkeys' like they did 30 years ago, or is it that people are better educated about such issues today?

Armando Iannucci wrote a while ago that it's a good thing because it stops the word 'nigger' being used in railway station tannoy announcements. It has stamped out a lot of the casual racism that used to be heard, but not all. Sadly the sort of things that Clarkson says - but not on programmes where he's surrounded by people like Stephen Fry and Ian Hislop who are cleverer and wittier than he is, I always notice - have begun to make it acceptable to come out with such things again, on the grounds that it's 'politically incorrect'. No, it's just offensive.

I can't help feel that many of the political correctness gone mad rants are completely made up.

Yes, very few are true, and some that are get repeated by news outlets for no reason.

Mark
13th October 2009, 15:30
Things change over time. When I were a lad you got your sweets from the Paki's and your dinner from the Chinkeys. We didn't use them to cause offence they were just nicknames, but now they are extremely offensive terms.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 15:40
Things change over time. When I were a lad you got your sweets from the Paki's and your dinner from the Chinkeys. We didn't use them to cause offence they were just nicknames, but now they are extremely offensive terms.

Do you not see now that such terms were actually quite demeaning at the time, even though you meant no harm?

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 04:49
Ironically, it has never occured to me that Top Gear's line-up of three white, straight, male presenters is unusual, but it obviously has occured to Clarkson.

Maybe he doesn't see the fact three white guys hosting a car show as unhumourous AT ALL. Maybe because if you watch Top Gear for 15 minutes, you realize they are on the show because the three of them have a chemistry that is infectious and only a politically correct moron would refuse to see that there is 3 guys on this show because they fit the role they are being asked to have.

Women can be on car shows. I have seen 5th gear and they have a woman and she fits in fine, but the show isn't Top Gear. It isn't as infamously funny as Top Gear. You have a show about cars and the culture of hard core care people. How many women would be able to fit the role? How many were available when BBC cast the hosts for the show? Would the show be any better? An honest person would admit that the 3 people hosting Top Gear make the show the international phenomena that it is, and putting a woman in there to feed a quota would be a Joke...

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 07:45
Maybe he doesn't see the fact three white guys hosting a car show as unhumourous AT ALL.

Firstly, I used the word unusual, not unhumorous. Secondly, if it had never occured to him, how come he has written a column on the subject?

Bezza
14th October 2009, 09:13
Do you not see now that such terms were actually quite demeaning at the time, even though you meant no harm?

Ah, but what about the terms "white boy" and even "Brit". Surely "Brit" is just the same as "Paki" ? It is a shortened version of the country of origin?

Used in jest, all the terms were fine, but people took them too far and made them an offensive word. I see nothing wrong with the word "chinky" referring to a Chinese meal - do you?

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 09:54
Ah, but what about the terms "white boy" and even "Brit". Surely "Brit" is just the same as "Paki" ? It is a shortened version of the country of origin?

Used in jest, all the terms were fine, but people took them too far and made them an offensive word. I see nothing wrong with the word "chinky" referring to a Chinese meal - do you?

I think both 'chinky' and 'Paki' are unnecessary and offensive. It doesn't matter whether 'Paki' is just the shortened form - it is offensive whereas Brit isn't. There may not be a particular reason for that, but that's the way it is. Sorry.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 10:13

I think it is very different. I've never heard the word Brit used in an aggressive, offensive manner yet whenever I've heard the word 'paki' it's been almost exclusively used in an aggressive, offensive way.

ShiftingGears
14th October 2009, 10:16
It doesn't matter whether 'Paki' is just the shortened form - it is offensive whereas Brit isn't.

Says who? I don't find anything offensive about abbreviating a name. There aren't connotations connected to it the same way 'boy' is.

MrJan
14th October 2009, 10:16
I agree with BBB, it's not the word itself but the way that it's been used in the past...in fact the way that it's still used today. Basically it isn't very nice and is rarely meant in the same way that Brit is. Besides the equivalent is probably Pakistani as someone who is British is called a Brit whereas someone who is Pakistani is called a Pakistani.

ShiftingGears
14th October 2009, 10:19
I think it is very different. I've never heard the word Brit used in an aggressive, offensive manner yet whenever I've heard the word 'paki' it's been almost exclusively used in an aggressive, offensive way.

Well then you just nailed it. It's about how you use the words, not actually the words themselves.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 10:26
Well then you just nailed it. It's about how you use the words, not actually the words themselves.

Things may be different in Australia, but in the UK people have used the word paki to insult and demean Asians (not just people from Pakistan) to the point that it has become synonymous with abuse and prejudice.

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 10:40

See what BBB says above. I agree with it. 'Paki' is simply not an acceptable word to use any more. 'Brit' is. I don't understand why anybody should have any difficulty with this. It's hardly an unnecessary hardship. If people want to say it, they should expect to be castigated. I would never use the word 'Paki'.

Bezza
14th October 2009, 12:57

OK so what if the word "paki" was used in a relaxed, joking-around, way? Would it be OK then, because clearly saying "Brit" in such a way is fine?

These words have become offensive because of the aggression behind them - I agree with you there. I just think its a shame that everyone has to watch their mouths when they are not being aggressive or intending to cause offence.

I agree that using them in an offensive way is appalling - however on these grounds the word "Brit" is equal to "Paki" if used with the same amount of force and offence?

"Chinky" I believe is a perfectly legitimate term for a Chinese Takeaway, NOT to call a Chinese person! :)

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 13:01
"Chinky" I believe is a perfectly legitimate term for a Chinese Takeaway, NOT to call a Chinese person! :)

Off-topic but you've just reminded me of one of my favourite bits from Alan Partridge.

Alan Can I say chinky?
Michael Aye, you're aalreet with that, 'cause it's a race of people, but it's also a food.

I love Partridge :p

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 13:04
OK so what if the word "paki" was used in a relaxed, joking-around, way? Would it be OK then, because clearly saying "Brit" in such a way is fine?

If it's used in a genuinely satirical way, to make fun at those who consider it acceptable to use the word seriously, then I don't have a problem with it being heard. Otherwise, no.

I agree that using them in an offensive way is appalling - however on these grounds the word "Brit" is equal to "Paki" if used with the same amount of force and offence?

I disagree, because 'Brit' is not an offensive word, whereas 'Paki' is. That's just the way it is. There is no equivalence between the two.

MrJan
14th October 2009, 13:14

No. The connotations of the word Paki far outstrip those of Brit and years of being used as a derogatory term mean that it is offensive regardless of intent.

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 14:49
It is weird. People are trying to justify calling Chinese takeouts "Chinky".

A racial slur is a racial slur I thought. Political correctness is ugly, but I think people know when they refer to someone as a Paki or a Chinese food take out as a "Chinkey" know that the ethnic group on the receiving end may not like it.

Mind you, the Chinese dispatcher at my work makes jokes about eating cats all the time.....so having a sense of humour and place helps.

Daniel
14th October 2009, 15:19
See what BBB says above. I agree with it. 'Paki' is simply not an acceptable word to use any more. 'Brit' is. I don't understand why anybody should have any difficulty with this. It's hardly an unnecessary hardship. If people want to say it, they should expect to be castigated. I would never use the word 'Paki'.

Things may be different in Australia, but in the UK people have used the word paki to insult and demean Asians (not just people from Pakistan) to the point that it has become synonymous with abuse and prejudice.

Gawd you two are a bit clueless. That's exactly what he's saying. In Australia if they're playing Pakistan and the English in a 3 way series they're playing the Paki's and the Pom's. It has everything to do with use. Now of course I'm aware of the connotations Paki has here and I certainly wouldn't use it for fear of insulting someone.

Bezza also has a point as well. What's the difference between Brit and Paki? Nothing in essence except for the fact that people say in hushed voices "ooh ye can't say that!" if you were to say Paki. Now I know people have misused the word in the past to offend but it would be nice to see a move further towards sensibility where you can use the word to describe someone one from Pakistan and rob racists of their term. Now I don't think a term like Chinky is really acceptable as it's a mutation of a word but if Bezza and his mates use it to refer to a Chinese restaurant then who's being hurt? I think this sort of mindless political correctness is hurtful and actually distances groups from each other and just doesn't really help as it lends the negative use of Paki or whatever term an inherent coolness.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 15:28
I think this sort of mindless political correctness is hurtful and actually distances groups from each other and just doesn't really help.

Perhaps you should ask someone from a racial minority if they'd prefer to return to those pre-PC days of the 60s & 70s when it was considered acceptable for mainstream political parties to use slogans like "If you want a n****r for a neighbour, vote liberal or labour."

Daniel
14th October 2009, 15:30
Perhaps you should ask someone from a racial minority if they'd prefer to return to those pre-PC days of the 60s & 70s when it was considered acceptable for mainstream political parties to use slogans like "If you want a n****r for a neighbour, vote liberal or labour."

Perhaps you should shut up? :dozey: No one ever said nigger was acceptable.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 15:40
No one ever said nigger was acceptable.

No, but it was considered acceptable prior to political correctness, a movement you describe as mindless and unhelpful.

Daniel
14th October 2009, 15:41
No, but it was considered acceptable prior to political correctness, a movement you describe as mindless and unhelpful.

No I didn't. Go back and read my post.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 15:46
Perhaps you should shut up? :dozey:

I do wish you'd refrain from this sort of thing Daniel. You carry on like you're some sort of intellectual powerhouse. Take it from me, you aren't.

Daniel
14th October 2009, 15:48
I do wish you'd refrain from this sort of thing Daniel. You carry on like you're some sort of intellectual powerhouse. Take it from me, you aren't.

I never said that. I just think that people should read people's posts and not make assumptions.

Daniel
14th October 2009, 16:02
It is weird. People are trying to justify calling Chinese takeouts "Chinky".

A racial slur is a racial slur I thought. Political correctness is ugly, but I think people know when they refer to someone as a Paki or a Chinese food take out as a "Chinkey" know that the ethnic group on the receiving end may not like it.

Mind you, the Chinese dispatcher at my work makes jokes about eating cats all the time.....so having a sense of humour and place helps.

Exactly. I think to have a bit of a joke about differences and stereotypes (within reason) makes the situation better. It's like the Simpsons, when they make of the Canadians for having a better healthcare system, cleaner streets, less crime, suggesting that they're all either mounties or ice hockey players beating the bejesus out of each other, saying 'ey at the end of every sentence they're not saying Canada is a crap place or anything they're actually saying it's better in some ways and just playing on the stupid stereotypes that some people have of Canada. Heck there's even a joke squeezed in about English speaking Canadians and French speaking Canadians hating each other :p

Watch from 16:00 in this one :)
http://wtso.net/movie/59-The_Simpsons_1311_The_Bart_Wants_What_it.html

You'll need to watch this one in Firefox for it to work.
http://www.wtso.net/movie/208-The%20Simpsons%201606%20Midnight%20Rx.html

This episode has one of my favourite quotes when a Canadian says "Well, I've always wanted to see a man with the IQ of a child executed by the State, we don't get that up here".

MrJan
14th October 2009, 16:14
What's the difference between Brit and Paki? Nothing in essence except for the fact that people say in hushed voices "ooh ye can't say that!" if you were to say Paki.

Ay, nothing apart from that and years of the word being associated with extreme racially motivated violence, besides that it's A-ok

This episode has one of my favourite quotes when a Canadian says "Well, I've always wanted to see a man with the IQ of a child executed by the State, we don't get that up here".

I prefer the South Park where Canada goes on strike and no one really notices :D You could probably stand in any high street in England and shout "I'm not your guy, friend" and someone will yell back "Your not my friend, budday" :laugh: Racism against Canadians is funny, eh? ;)

Daniel
14th October 2009, 16:16
Ay, nothing apart from that and years of the word being associated with extreme racially motivated violence, besides that it's A-ok

Of course and I understand that. I'm just saying that if you look at the words they're origins are the same.

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 16:53
Bezza also has a point as well. What's the difference between Brit and Paki? Nothing in essence except for the fact that people say in hushed voices "ooh ye can't say that!" if you were to say Paki.

You may as well say that there's no difference between referring to a vagina and a ****. The truth is that, while they are only words, one is hugely offensive to a lot of people and the other isn't.

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 16:55
I think this sort of mindless political correctness is hurtful and actually distances groups from each other and just doesn't really help as it lends the negative use of Paki or whatever term an inherent coolness.

I disagree. There are a few words that are now considered offensive. So what? Times change. It's not all that much of a hardship not to use a few offensive words, is it?

Daniel
14th October 2009, 16:57
I disagree. There are a few words that are now considered offensive. So what? Times change. It's not all that much of a hardship not to use a few offensive words, is it?

What is it with you, BBB and your collective lack of comprehension today? I never said that it's a hardship, all I said was that mindless political correctness is divisive and doesn't actually solve anything..

Daniel
14th October 2009, 16:58
You may as well say that there's no difference between referring to a vagina and a ****. The truth is that, while they are only words, one is hugely offensive to a lot of people and the other isn't.

That's where your wrong. **** is a slang name for vagina, Brit isn't another name for Paki now is it? Just like 7 isn't another way of expressing the number five.

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 17:06
What is it with you, BBB and your collective lack of comprehension today? I never said that it's a hardship, all I said was that mindless political correctness is divisive and doesn't actually solve anything..

Now you're really being, with respect, stupid. This isn't mindless 'political correctness' at all. We are talking about a term that is highly offensive - beyond the pale to most. What is your problem with not using it on that basis?

BDunnell
14th October 2009, 17:07
That's where your wrong. **** is a slang name for vagina, Brit isn't another name for Paki now is it? Just like 7 isn't another way of expressing the number five.

I presume you are deliberately misunderstanding me for some sort of effect. I am using examples of words that are offensive and words that aren't. There is a distinction.

Daniel
14th October 2009, 17:13
Now you're really being, with respect, stupid. This isn't mindless 'political correctness' at all. We are talking about a term that is highly offensive - beyond the pale to most. What is your problem with not using it on that basis?

I never said I was going to use it here for petes sake! All I said was that here we've got a term whose origins aren't shady like for instance the word nigger and yes it was misused in the past but the origins aren't nasty and all they did was add two syllables the word used by normal people to describe someone from Pakistan and in a sense the word Paki was in a sense glorified and held up as a term for thick ****s to use against people from Pakistan or if they're particularly stupid people from India, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

Bezza
15th October 2009, 09:04

:laugh:

Mark, can you put Intellectual Powerhouse under Daniel's name please? :D

--------------

My Brit/Paki question was just highlighting a discrepancy between the two, which are just shorted versions of a country name. However, I do understand, that Paki is highly offensive, and Brit isn't. But this raises two questions - 1) What if non-British people were to start using the term Brit offensively? 2) What if the word Brit was followed by words like "scum"?

Does that change anything?

Also, regards to "Chinky" - I don't actually use it, because I don't like Chinese (food!) :D However, I don't see an issue with saying harmlessly "Anybody fancy a Chinky?" between friends, obviously as long as it is referring to the choice of takeaway!

MrJan
15th October 2009, 09:24
2) What if the word Brit was followed by words like "scum"?

I'd probably agree with whoever said it. There a lot of people in this nation who fit the word fairly well, they usually go round spouting crap about immigrants and saying "make Britain Great again"

Edit: Loving how yet another thread has decsended into an argument about racism, Rallyforum is nothing if not predictable :laugh:

Cooper_S
15th October 2009, 09:36
In Ireland many use the term Brit as a term of hate... Brits Out was not a polite request for the British influence to end... it was a war cry and often backed up with Violence... the fact in Britain they also refer to themselves as Brits is a separate thing...

To my mind Paki is a way for ignorant people to categorise a group of people (usually geographically incorrectly) and only used when being abusive or disparaging to that group... language is forever evolving and expanding, historically some words become abusive and unacceptable...

when that happens it is time to stop using them, there is no merit is defending them further.

BeansBeansBeans
15th October 2009, 09:38
:laugh:

Mark, can you put Intellectual Powerhouse under Daniel's name please? :D

--------------

My Brit/Paki question was just highlighting a discrepancy between the two, which are just shorted versions of a country name. However, I do understand, that Paki is highly offensive, and Brit isn't. But this raises two questions - 1) What if non-British people were to start using the term Brit offensively? 2) What if the word Brit was followed by words like "scum"?

Does that change anything?

Also, regards to "Chinky" - I don't actually use it, because I don't like Chinese (food!) :D However, I don't see an issue with saying harmlessly "Anybody fancy a Chinky?" between friends, obviously as long as it is referring to the choice of takeaway!

One of the differences between Brit and Paki is that Paki is used as an insult towards all Asians, where as Brit is distinct to Britons. To answer your question though, if I was referred to as Brit Scum or White Scum by a group of non-whites, I would consider that equally bad.

As for the chinky thing, I know that not everyone who uses it means harm, but I also know that many chinese people find it insulting, so I'd prefer to use the phrase 'going for a Chinese'.

Garry Walker
15th October 2009, 11:40
No, they're not like you. They're actually quite intelligent, nuanced, amusing and sensible.

They can be "quite" all of those things you mentioned, whereas I am "very" of all those things you mentioned :D

BDunnell
15th October 2009, 13:07
In Ireland many use the term Brit as a term of hate... Brits Out was not a polite request for the British influence to end... it was a war cry and often backed up with Violence... the fact in Britain they also refer to themselves as Brits is a separate thing...

To my mind Paki is a way for ignorant people to categorise a group of people (usually geographically incorrectly) and only used when being abusive or disparaging to that group... language is forever evolving and expanding, historically some words become abusive and unacceptable...

when that happens it is time to stop using them, there is no merit is defending them further.

Very well put.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 13:34

Very true. As I've said all along it's not a term I'd use in the UK because of how it's been used it is classed as something which is offensive..

My argument is that by effectively outlawing the use of words like this it glamourises (for want of a better word) the use of them and the very sorts of people who will use these words in a discriminatory way don't mind the words being outlawed because they resent authority and the fact that it's let foreign people in. It's just like when you tell kids not to swear, it just makes it cooler to do so.