PDA

View Full Version : Things you would like to see added to the F1 Telecast

waitey
9th October 2009, 14:50
Just saw this article regarding F1 broadcasts which are soon to be in HD.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/10/09/abu-dhabi-gp-to-be-seen-in-hd/

Was wondering what the thoughts are of people here on how the telecast of Formula 1 could be improved? It is often said that the sport is trying to improve the show and get the fans closer to the sport.

I'd personally like to see better onboard cameras. Why can't every driver carry an onboard camera on their helmet just above the visor so we can get a real driver's eye view. This provides a much more adrenalin pumping experience for viewers at home and really shows the speed of the cars a lot more. It would be amazing to watch replays of incidents during the race and the start from the driver's actual perspective as his head moves etc.

I'd also like to see footcam/pedal cam. I know they aren't as busy down there as a rally driver or a touring car driver but it would still be good to see some of the different driving styles of the drivers and once more could improve the show in my opinion. This was shown briefly on Pedro De La Rosa's car years ago but I hope they bring it back!

So anyways, what's everyone's thoughts on what they could do to improve the telecast. Whether it be more telemetry, different camera angles etc..

Steve2009
9th October 2009, 14:54
I'd like to see more passing :rolleyes: :p :

Somebody
9th October 2009, 15:03
The thing about a helmetcam would be, in essence, "what about when the driver crashes?" Where it attached would be an automatic weak spot and the possibility would exist (however remote - look at Massa. Freak accidents DO happen) of the camera being driven straight through the helmet in a crash. It would also add mass to the helmet in a small area, making the helmet unbalanced and increasing the kinetic energy in a crash.

wedge
9th October 2009, 15:31
Let the Americans take over the production side of things as FOM seems to be decades behind.

I personally prefer timing and scoring at the top of the screen

Helmet cams

Split screen for pit stop when there's more than 1 car

Race-cam ontop of the roll hoop a la IRL where the camera pans round

gloomyDAY
9th October 2009, 16:02
Let the Americans take over the production side of things as FOM seems to be decades behind.

Helmet cams

Race-cam ontop of the roll hoop a la IRL where the camera pans roundI agree with your points.

NASCAR on FOX has the best telecast for motor sports bar none.
HD, insightful commentators, and excellent pre/post race reports.

waitey
9th October 2009, 16:32
I agree with your points.

Always thought the same. I've seen old CART footage of onboard cameras inside the driver's helmet. literally on a cm or so away from his eye!

I just think the F1 Telecast is a bit stock standard and boring for the pinnacle of motorsport. We should get so much more telemetry and camera angles etc.

I've also wondered..probably a stupid question but I am not one for knowing much about technology etc. But even simple things like the audio we get on tv. Can that be changed to capture any more of the unique sound you get when your there in person. Sadly on TV it sounds so different to being there in person.

And in regards to safety of an onboard camera on the helmet, surely in the modern era we live in we could make this safe?

wedge
9th October 2009, 16:33
I agree with your points.

Rival TV networks competed for new ways to present NASCAR.

Eg. CBS used Aussie camera technology ie. Race cam with the rotating cameras that could also zoom.

It used to be the case with F1 when screen information was in the local language and little gimmicks such as fitting drivers with a heart monitor and miss the days of Fuji TV showing a map of the Suzuka and the corner where a driver had an off.

Of course today its all in-house using local cameras and directors where applicable and so production side of things stagnated and using ideas that are years old.

maximilian
9th October 2009, 16:45
I would like to see about 10 cars and some classic race tracks added!!

Not 20 cars circling around before 3000 spectators in some faraway country... how's that? :rolleyes:

Somebody
9th October 2009, 17:47
Depends what you mean by "make it safe." Inevitably, you're going to lose at least a couple of percentage points. It's unavoidable - anything you do to make the camera-helmet safer, you can also do to a camera-free helmet. And the latter won't be compromised by the camera.

Is "good enough" really good enough?

N. Jones
9th October 2009, 18:13
I'd like to see less commercials and more of the race, but that's just me. :cheese:

schmenke
9th October 2009, 18:19
More coverage of the grid girls.

keysersoze
9th October 2009, 19:22
I'd like to see Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett with lifetime contracts.

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 03:09

Helmet cams

Race-cam ontop of the roll hoop a la IRL where the camera pans round

:eek: Heaven forbid!!!

If United States producers took over it would be the hollywoodization of f1 and THAT is something purists like myself could just not tolerate.

Ever seen American broadcasts in the US? They make something out of nothing. The commenetators generally fake an excitement level that is so obviously ridiculous.

And they NEVER ciritcize a driver. Its always "something has happened" and the drivers is not responsible for a car spinning out of the race - the CAR is!!!

The best commentary was during the days of Murray Walker and the wonderful James Hunt. I remember those days with fond nostalgia.

I think a pay per view alternative along with a more realistic in car camera view would be fine. Other than that all pertinent info is available via f1.com through an app on a cell phone. HD or not I really could care less.

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 03:15
I'd like to see Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett with lifetime contracts.

I can't STAND Varsha!

And they have a bias in favor of Hamilton while one essentially negative towards Button.

When Hamiltn crashed into the barrier at Mirabeau and then into the scenery at Lesmo 1 this year, aside form being incredulous that Lewis DOES NOT after all walk on water - they could just not bring themselves to say anything that even hinted at it being his fault or that he messed up or that he was just plain idiotic for thinking he could cathc let alone pass Jenson on the last lap at Monza.

The reason of course that Lewis is such a holy cow is because he is the first "black driver" and he is very wrapped up in the black thing given his exclusive association with black celebrities only - sadly he appears to have been captured by the whole unhealthy celebrity drug.

And the Italian Grand Prix report in the Autosport was a puff-piece by Mark Hughes on Hamilton. I wanted to throw up after reading it - a new low standard in racing journalism. Hughes should go take lessons from a real grand prix racing journalist who lives iin California, the great Pete Lyons.

wedge
10th October 2009, 14:08
:eek: Heaven forbid!!!

If United States producers took over it would be the hollywoodization of f1 and THAT is something purists like myself could just not tolerate.

Ever seen American broadcasts in the US? They make something out of nothing. The commenetators generally fake an excitement level that is so obviously ridiculous.

And they NEVER ciritcize a driver. Its always "something has happened" and the drivers is not responsible for a car spinning out of the race - the CAR is!!!

The best commentary was during the days of Murray Walker and the wonderful James Hunt. I remember those days with fond nostalgia.

I think a pay per view alternative along with a more realistic in car camera view would be fine. Other than that all pertinent info is available via f1.com through an app on a cell phone. HD or not I really could care less.

I did say production, did I not? Never said anything about commentators.

Go watch NASCAR, CART/Indycar from the 1990s. They presented information to the viewers so much better than FOM. We now see the drivers faces to show the starting grid. The Americans showed the drivers face and their car for nearly 2 decades, ticker tape timing & scoring is well over a decade old.

And the Italian Grand Prix report in the Autosport was a puff-piece by Mark Hughes on Hamilton. I wanted to throw up after reading it - a new low standard in racing journalism. Hughes should go take lessons from a real grand prix racing journalist who lives iin California, the great Pete Lyons.

Deserved

IMHO Hamilton's performance bears some similarity to Senna's performances in 1993.

Hamilton out-drove a McLaren and won races on merit.

Last year Alonso was/still regarded as the most complete driver because he out drove the Renault.

They deserve the limelight because they are the best all-round drivers.

What has Button ever achieved pre-2009 besides Hungary 2006 which was arguably a gifted win? Button will get his limelight after he wins the WDC.

Kevincal
10th October 2009, 15:37
I would like the option to turn off the announcers voices so I can just listen to the cars. Also the option to watch any of the cars from the onboard cam for the whole race. Also the option to watch any of the stationary cams at the track.

Better yet, get rid of the onboard cam and let us REALLY see what the drivers see. Put tiny high quality cameras in the driver's visor or helmet area.

But most importantly, I want the announcers to shut up so I can listen to the cars.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 03:21
I did say production, did I not? Never said anything about commentators.

Go watch NASCAR, CART/Indycar from the 1990s. They presented information to the viewers so much better than FOM. We now see the drivers faces to show the starting grid. The Americans showed the drivers face and their car for nearly 2 decades, ticker tape timing & scoring is well over a decade old.

Deserved

IMHO Hamilton's performance bears some similarity to Senna's performances in 1993.

Hamilton out-drove a McLaren and won races on merit.

Last year Alonso was/still regarded as the most complete driver because he out drove the Renault.

They deserve the limelight because they are the best all-round drivers.

What has Button ever achieved pre-2009 besides Hungary 2006 which was arguably a gifted win? Button will get his limelight after he wins the WDC.

You want me to go and watch NASCAR?!!!! :eek: Never!

I watched CART in the 90's - the essential difference between f1 commentary [Walker-Hunt] and CART was that Murray and James spoke to the viewership as they would a knowledgeable audience of adults.

The CART series was at a lower level - never let the pictures tell the story but had to describe, explain and embelish as well as make excuses for the drivers including a lot of emotional nonsense.

The Autosport grand prix editor has over the past years moved from being the impartial reporter and excellent explainer to not beng able to contain himself where Hamilton is concerned.

The Italian Grand Prix puff piece, waxing so very lyrical over Hamilton was just ridiculous. Surely he had to realize that Autosport readers are part of the erudite racing crowd and that the resulting honesty from being knowledgeable would automatically make them baulk as his writing?

Never before have I seen a driver be praised for throwing a car into the barriers on the last lap. Being cerebral in a racing car is as important as being quick. But Hamilton is also still learning and does not have vast experience that driver such as Jenson has.

Drivers like Hamilton and Vettel are the furture greats in the sport - when they solidify as drivers they will be phenomenal.

Jenson was quick in the first part of the season. But now he is being cerebral and driving definitely, under the unique pressures that a driver on the way to the world title is under - with its rollercoaster of emotions on the way playing havoc with driving the car.

I suggest you read the excellent Tony Dodgins column and the comments by David Coulthard referring to the explanations and understanding of Jenson's performance by Hakkinen, Hill and Villeneuve in the Autosport of three weeks ago.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 03:23
I would like the option to turn off the announcers voices so I can just listen to the cars. Also the option to watch any of the cars from the onboard cam for the whole race. Also the option to watch any of the stationary cams at the track.

Better yet, get rid of the onboard cam and let us REALLY see what the drivers see. Put tiny high quality cameras in the driver's visor or helmet area.

But most importantly, I want the announcers to shut up so I can listen to the cars.

:D :D Excellent points. I agree with all of them. Well said.

Kevincal
11th October 2009, 06:05
Thanks. :D

Copse
11th October 2009, 11:34
I would like the intervals displayed on screen to include those one lap behind. The current 1 LAP, 1 LAP, 1 LAP is useless.Right now, there is no way of knowing if there are exciting battles further back, and in some cases, they concern a couple of championship points.

I'd also like better pit stop info. The first step would be to fit both the number of stops and the intervals in the same graphics. Most other series manage that, e.g. DTM, V8Supercars. Even better would be to have the info that I think CART used to have when it existed: Number of laps since last pit. Would be great to not have to remember the approximate pit stop sequences, to know who needs to stop when.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 14:43
:ninja: Corners of the world unite and destroy the Chicane enemy!

Welcome Copse :D

wedge
11th October 2009, 15:06
You want me to go and watch NASCAR?!!!! :eek: Never!

I watched CART in the 90's - the essential difference between f1 commentary [Walker-Hunt] and CART was that Murray and James spoke to the viewership as they would a knowledgeable audience of adults.

The CART series was at a lower level - never let the pictures tell the story but had to describe, explain and embelish as well as make excuses for the drivers including a lot of emotional nonsense.

You really don't understand English, do you?

I said nothing about commentators' abilities.

I stated production. By that I mean presenting information to the viewing, slick camera work, telemetry, radio excerpts, etc. Comprende?

winer
13th October 2009, 03:18
I watch the BBC broadcast with Martin Brundle and whats-his-name. I would like to see the commentators have some control over what video is actually being broadcast. Now they are at the mercy of the director who very often has no clue about where the really interesting things are happening in the race.

Roamy
13th October 2009, 07:29
The Islams kidnapping David Hobbs !!

Robinho
17th October 2009, 10:18
HD, HD, HD and HD, proper HD too, none of this upscaled rubbish - i've seen a few things about FOM supposedly broadcasting Abu Dhabi in HD with a view to next year being all HD, but i haven't seen anything official yet

SGWilko
17th October 2009, 16:19
helmetcam .

Is Joe Walsh involved in F1 now? ;)

tmx
17th October 2009, 19:10
I would like some things taken away, not add onto.

To not hear engineers radio transmission unless its something useful to drivers, not obvious things.
To not see Lewis Hamilton girlfriend and his mean dad too often, and girlfriends of other drivers as well.
To remove Legard who kept reminding me of the lap we're on or kept stating drivers lap times. Have Brundle by himself. Or promote Coulthard to Leggard's position.

Have television engineers who are awake. During one race in the past they covered some drivers fighting for the last places for about 45minutes (literally almost half of the entire race), completely ignoring the front runners. They need to be quicker at catching driver's shunts, overtaking, and other moments.
They could move the "lap remaining sign" and other race info more toward the edge of the screen to not block the action.
They have a moment where they explain F1 technicalities to the audiences, I wouldn't mind more of that.
More helicopter footages.