PDA

View Full Version : The most beautiful country

jimakos
9th October 2009, 09:15
You can here tell your opinions about the most beautiful country in the world!!
It would be nice to support of course our country if it's worth :)

jimakos
9th October 2009, 09:18
Of course Greece (my country) is one of the best all over the world!!
Because of this we have a lot of tourism all the time and the economy of the country depends on tourists...

Storm
9th October 2009, 10:22
Indeed I consider my country to be one of the most beautiful in the world (and we do have almost everything you can think of, geography and topography wise and add lots of culture, food, art and history to it)

From what I have seen (mostly on TV), read and heard, I consider Italy, Spain (Portugal and Greece too) and Chile in South America to be some of the most beautiful countries in the world.

pino
9th October 2009, 11:06
Italy followed by New Zealand and Finland for me :D

555-04Q2
9th October 2009, 11:51
Beautiful as in natural landscape? Then...

1. South Africa (just come here and you will see why)
2. New Zealand
3. USA
4. Australia
5. China

gadjo_dilo
9th October 2009, 12:01
I can't say because I wasn't able to visit ALL the countries on earth and then to compare them. :laugh:

In these circumstances to say " X is the most beautiful country in the world " might give rise to injustice.

My country is quite beautiful if you like wild places. Or as foreigners use to say : " Beautiful country, too bad it's inhabited ". :laugh:

No offence jimakos, but the number of tourists isn't a criterion. For instance, Greece is probably our no.1 touristic destination but not because of its beautiful places but because a holiday in Greece is much cheaper than one in our own country. Not to mention the quality of services. Personally I have a soft spot for your country because my both parents were born there and somehow I feel my roots are there.

Bezza
9th October 2009, 12:53

Italy! Maybe that would win most corrupt country in the world instead!

Eki
9th October 2009, 13:28
Italy! Maybe that would win most corrupt country in the world instead!
Berlusconi could win that by himself alone.

Mark
9th October 2009, 13:35
Scotland.

Brown, Jon Brow
9th October 2009, 14:30
I haven't been to enough countries to make that decision, but I don't know if it's possible to have a more beautiful place than the English Lake District on a summers day

Easy Drifter
9th October 2009, 14:31
Got to stick up for Canada and the US.
Canada has the Artic and the US the hot south and Gulf waters plus the Grand Canyon.
Toronto (aka the Big Smoke) has the world's most ethinically diverse population with all the interesting foods to go with that.
The Columbia Icefields Parkway is just about the most beautiful drive in the world.
Can't forget Quebec with fantastic restaurants and some spectacular scenery.

schmenke
9th October 2009, 17:53
I question those who list China as one of the most beautiful countries :s Yes, the country has potential, but gave you ever been to the real China...? :s

IMO, among the places that I've visited (in no particular order):
USA, Hawaii specifically
Australia
Finland

Roamy
9th October 2009, 18:13

2. New Zealand
3. USA
4. Australia
5. China

Maybe but the problem is that you are a rose at the bottom of the toilet and how long do you think it will last??

harsha
9th October 2009, 18:43
I always wanted to visit NZ...felt that country was spectacular....incredible advertisements in the LoTR movies :cheese:

South Africa is there on my list too...and India too

driveace
9th October 2009, 20:06
Mine are ;;
1 Canada (west)
2 New Zealand
3 South africa (the south)
4 Finland
5 USA (Marthas vineyard)
6 England ( north)

donKey jote
9th October 2009, 20:24

2. New Zealand
3. USA
4. Australia
5. China

1. been there - very beautiful indeed... reminded me of Spain ! :bandit:
2. LotR part is very pretty (similar to Norway?), rest could be rural England or Wales :eek:
3. some pretty spectacular and unique areas, but too many corn-fields in the middle :dozey:
4. yep :up:
5. see schmenke

I'd like to see Canada, Iceland and India

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Mark in Oshawa
9th October 2009, 23:53
There are a lot of beautiful landscapes in this world. Canada has a distinct advantage due to its large size. Our Rocky Mountains are just gorgeous, and anyone who has spent time in the Muskoka lakes would think that is beuatiful too. It has been inspiring artists for over a 100 years. I think the Thousand Islands we share with the US are a beautiful place in the summer. Newfoundland and Cape Breton are breathtaking, as is Quebec City. Vancouver rivals Cape Town and Sydney for a large city blessed by Geography. Then we have the Arctic Islands and tundra....a different beauty.
Yup...Canada has a lot going for it pleaseing for the eye.

Since I have only been to the US, Canada, and Mexico, I am not as lucky as some of you. In the US, I would say the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA, the Wasatch range and deserts of Utah, and the state of Hawaii to be my favourites. Heck..Hawaii is probably the most lush place going, Kauai being my favourite isle.

Daniel
10th October 2009, 09:13
Agreed. Don't know about Italy though, only because I've not been there yet :p

wacho
10th October 2009, 10:53
1. Italy
2. Australia
3. Estonia
:)

MrJan
10th October 2009, 15:19
Mine are ;;
1 Canada (west)
2 New Zealand
3 South africa (the south)
4 Finland
5 USA (Marthas vineyard)
6 England ( north)

In my experience the North of England is some great landscape interspersed by moorland (which mostly looks the same) and a whole load of industry. SW is where it's at, we've got a bit of moorland (not too much), rolling hills, trees and a beautiful coastline :p :

I actually don't think any of England fits this, it's beautiful but it's not breath taking in the same way that large parts of Asia, South America and places like New Zealand are so falls some way short IMO.

Daniel
10th October 2009, 15:37
I agree Jan Yeo, there are some nice bits in Wales but that's all it is, nice. Scotland is nice too, but hardly OMFG wow country.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th October 2009, 19:34
I agree Jan Yeo, there are some nice bits in Wales but that's all it is, nice. Scotland is nice too, but hardly OMFG wow country.

I think that's part of the charm. Just because the landscape is dramatic it doesn't necessarily mean it's beautiful. Think of it the same way as beautiful breasts,is bigger always better?

leopard
12th October 2009, 03:19
bjb, it doesn't always stand that way, the juicy ones are certainly better...

I mean countries with ideal combination of land and ocean offer more preference of beautiful looks of mountain, river sea or beach.

In regard to the whole things of life, isn't it currently Norway the best country for working and living?

gloomyDAY
12th October 2009, 03:39
Anyone ever heard of the Western Hemisphere?

Mexico, duh!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/IMG_1534.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/SN150196.jpg

Mark
12th October 2009, 12:03

Where have you been in Scotland? As I recall you haven't been to the west coast or islands?

555-04Q2
12th October 2009, 12:07
Maybe but the problem is that you are a rose at the bottom of the toilet and how long do you think it will last??

As long as we want it too...

Daniel
12th October 2009, 12:17
Anyone ever heard of the Western Hemisphere?

Mexico, duh!
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/IMG_1534.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/SN150196.jpg
I think there's certainly a charm to places like that but it's hardly OMFGWTFBBQ kinda beautiful if you ask most people.

Daniel
12th October 2009, 12:21
Where have you been in Scotland? As I recall you haven't been to the west coast or islands?

The thing is Scotland is very nice but there are places that do what it does better. Want nice mountains? You go to the Alps.... want a fantastic coastline you go to Norway or parts of the South Island of New Zealand.

MrJan
12th October 2009, 12:25
I think that's part of the charm. Just because the landscape is dramatic it doesn't necessarily mean it's beautiful. Think of it the same way as beautiful breasts,is bigger always better?

The problem is that I've seen similar landscape all over the place (although my experience of Scotland is limited). People say that places like the Pennines are beautiful but to me they don't look that different from Dartmoor or mid-Wales or all the other moorland places.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th October 2009, 12:52
The problem is that I've seen similar landscape all over the place (although my experience of Scotland is limited). People say that places like the Pennines are beautiful but to me they don't look that different from Dartmoor or mid-Wales or all the other moorland places.

The best part of the Penninnes is in east Cumbria. You get a beautiful view down into the Eden Valley and across to the Lake District.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3424586606_d6182f3249.jpg?v=0

Mark
12th October 2009, 15:01
The thing is Scotland is very nice but there are places that do what it does better. Want nice mountains? You go to the Alps.... want a fantastic coastline you go to Norway or parts of the South Island of New Zealand.

All of which are a long way off. Whereas I can get in my car and be in spectacular scenery in a few hours drive.

Mark
12th October 2009, 15:03

The Pennines are nice. But not spectacular.
If you drive the A82 from Tyndrum across Rannoch Moor and down Glen Coe to Ballachulish, then you are still not happy then I'll concede your point :p

Daniel
12th October 2009, 16:08
Yes but Mark we're talking about the most beautiful and not the most convenient!

gloomyDAY
12th October 2009, 16:50
I think there's certainly a charm to places like that but it's hardly OMFGWTFBBQ kinda beautiful if you ask most people.My pictures are from a P&S. I wish I had an SLR handy when I go to Mexico. That place covers everything from isolating deserts, lush forests, beautiful beaches, and quaint little towns. I love going down there for some R and R.

MrJan
12th October 2009, 17:31
The Pennines are nice. But not spectacular.
If you drive the A82 from Tyndrum across Rannoch Moor and down Glen Coe to Ballachulish, then you are still not happy then I'll concede your point :p

Unlikely to happen though, I'd need at least 2 tanks of petrol and about £85 just to get there :D Therefore I'm right :p :

Daniel
12th October 2009, 18:44
The best part of the Penninnes is in east Cumbria. You get a beautiful view down into the Eden Valley and across to the Lake District.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3424586606_d6182f3249.jpg?v=0
I've got better scenery about 500 metres around the corner to be honest......

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 18:53
This depends by what how one defines beauty. Parts of Switzerland are very beautiful, for example, but personally I find those areas a little twee.

Easy Drifter
12th October 2009, 21:44
At this time of year NE USA and Eastern Canada are spectacular with the fall colours. Until you have seen the brilliant reds of the maples and bright yellows and every thing in between you won't believe your eyes.

chris16valve
12th October 2009, 21:48
ireland has the best drink and the best rain hahaha

Tomi
12th October 2009, 22:11
At this time of year NE USA and Eastern Canada are spectacular with the fall colours. Until you have seen the brilliant reds of the maples and bright yellows and every thing in between you won't believe your eyes.

Lol, that happens in every country where the temaparature goes below 0 when the leafs are still in the trees.

GridGirl
12th October 2009, 23:15
It reminds me of that episode of Family Guy....LEAFERS!!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
12th October 2009, 23:24
I've got better scenery about 500 metres around the corner to be honest......

No you don't :p

http://www.leaney.org/outside_the_lakes_walk.php?walk_id=499

Images don't do justice for this area. You can barely see the Lake District hills in the distance on the pictures :( . The whole smell, wind in your face and sounds of wildlife all add to the beauty. Maybe because I was born in that region it seems better than it really is.

Daniel
12th October 2009, 23:27
Jon, if I walk around the corner and walk for a few minutes I can see Snowdonia so I do have better scenery on my doorstep ;)

GridGirl
12th October 2009, 23:33
Jon, I'm with you in thinking the Lake District is great. For me personally it's not about how nice something looks as that can get boring pretty quickly. I'd rather you can do something fun or interesting in a place than it just look great.

I cycled up a fell in the Lakes last month and saw Snowdon around 80 miles away to the south, Scotland to the north and the Isle of Man to the west. Maybe I had the best of both worlds. :p

Brown, Jon Brow
12th October 2009, 23:40
Jon, if I walk around the corner and walk for a few minutes I can see Snowdonia so I do have better scenery on my doorstep ;)

Just because it's Snowdonia doesn't mean you win. :p Looking west I have The Lake District, looking east I have the Pennines/Yorkshire Dales. 2National Parks beats one :p

schmenke
13th October 2009, 16:09
At this time of year NE USA and Eastern Canada are spectacular with the fall colours. ...

Meanwhile, western Canada is white :p : :s

Easy Drifter
13th October 2009, 17:52
Got your snow tires on yet?
Heck this year you Calgarians should never have taken them off. :D

schmenke
13th October 2009, 18:22
Got your snow tires on yet?
Heck this year you Calgarians should never have taken them off. :D

Not yet :mark: . Hoping to get them installed this week.
I think in any given year we run longer with snow tires than summers :s

jimakos
14th October 2009, 10:13
http://diadiktio.pblogs.gr/files/f/217084-Nature--S77_com-336.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
14th October 2009, 14:50
Jimakos...very nice. Never would have guessed Greece from that photo. Just goes to show beautiful images are anywhere where you don't expect often.

gloomyDAY
15th October 2009, 06:39
Cozumel (http://www.banner-button.com/wallpapers/freewallpapers/cozumel08.jpg)

Guaymas (http://www.robertobenitez.org/site/images/GuaymasSonMzo2007_000.JPG)

Teotihuacan (http://www.richard-seaman.com/Travel/Mexico/Teotihuacan/PyramidOfTheMoonFromPyramidOfTheSun.jpg)

Anywhere in New Zealand.

A.F.F.
15th October 2009, 07:27
I haven't been in too many countries but from what I have experienced, northern Norway is really beautiful, Scotland is very beautiful.

I'd like to visit Ireland and New Zealand as they seem to be very beautiful places.

But like Mark said, there are beautiful places everywhere around the globe. Even in Finland.

DexDexter
15th October 2009, 07:48
Southern Italy.

Tomi
15th October 2009, 08:32
From what seen until now, maybe the most beautiful place is Tarutao national park in southern Thailand, big variation of different types of almost desert islands.
But many places where i would like to go still, New Zeeland, Australia, Brazil, and maybe Canada, now when Sundin is not there anymore.

donKey jote
15th October 2009, 19:04
hey jimakos are you sure that isn't Bulgaria ? :p : :devil:

jimakos
16th October 2009, 08:56
hey jimakos are you sure that isn't Bulgaria ? :p : :devil:

Of course I'm sure!!!
I know my country very well :s mokin:

Eki
16th October 2009, 14:14
Southern Italy.
Did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

jimakos
16th October 2009, 15:26
Did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

:rotflmao:

Tomi
16th October 2009, 17:49
Southern Italy.

i would vote for that too, but i cant stand the horsehead every morning in the bed.

UltimateDanGTR
16th October 2009, 18:23
id say america. having seen the delights on Stephen Fry in america and other such programs, the vastness of such a country means there are so many different landscapes of beauty, its unbelievable. The 'wild west', Grand Canyon, the desert likes of nevada and arizona, the mountainous east, the missisippi, the vineyards of california, the everglades of florida, the snowy north etc

would love to tour america, visiting all 50 states, looks like a fantastic place. Canada, New zealand, australia, italy-all pretty cool as well. but, surely every country has places of beauty and fantastic amazement? even andorra, a tiny little nation in the alps must have stunning scenery, even luxembourg? There are some beautiful places out there, but america being the size it is means it can fit more in.............
fantastic place and would love to tour

DexDexter
17th October 2009, 09:20
i would vote for that too, but i cant stand the horsehead every morning in the bed.

After visiting Sicily many times these jokes are not funny anymore.

Daniel
17th October 2009, 10:44
Those Italian Mafia types are pussies. I'd be more scared of your homegrown mafia

tannat
17th October 2009, 13:43
This thread really needs links or photos....

I don't think it would be difficult to find breathtaking views of any country. It's all the same medium, so to speak, just molded, kneaded etc etc by locale...

jimakos
17th October 2009, 14:33

I don't think it would be difficult to find breathtaking views of any country. It's all the same medium, so to speak, just molded, kneaded etc etc by locale...

You are right tannat!!
Everyone wants can upload his image!
I have already done it and will do it again :)

jimakos
17th October 2009, 15:38
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4888/dsc4959.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
17th October 2009, 16:14
id say america. having seen the delights on Stephen Fry in america and other such programs, the vastness of such a country means there are so many different landscapes of beauty, its unbelievable. The 'wild west', Grand Canyon, the desert likes of nevada and arizona, the mountainous east, the missisippi, the vineyards of california, the everglades of florida, the snowy north etc

would love to tour america, visiting all 50 states, looks like a fantastic place. Canada, New zealand, australia, italy-all pretty cool as well. but, surely every country has places of beauty and fantastic amazement? even andorra, a tiny little nation in the alps must have stunning scenery, even luxembourg? There are some beautiful places out there, but america being the size it is means it can fit more in.............

But isn't being a bigger country cheating? :p

If you related beauty to the size of the nation then New Zealand or Switzerland are more beautiful than the US. For a small island even the UK has an impressive range of scenery.

tannat
18th October 2009, 00:21
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4888/dsc4959.jpg

Oh my..

This is Greece, jimakos?

Reminds me of St Thomas where I went on my honeymoon (with my spouse :D )

Mark in Oshawa
18th October 2009, 07:43

I kinda do it for a living ....it can be overrated some days.

Favourite state for scenery on the road? Wyoming is interesting, I also enjoy the desert of West Texas, and the Sierra Nevada of California, but I never get tired of the Shenandoah valley area of Virginia. Don't ask me why...just love it. Mass and New England also...especially in the fall.

Valve Bounce
18th October 2009, 09:30
One of the most beautiful views I can remember is from La Saulire on my last day at the Trois Valle. I had arranged to meet my better half and our friends there, we would have a last drink around 4 PM and then ski slowly back to Courchevel.

They didn't turn up, but I just sat there and had my glass of wine and looked around 360 degrees; and I had this intense feeling that this was God's own country that I was allowed to share for that hour. The beauty of that view, that moment, the feeling of intense achievement just being there was indescribable. Then I slowly ski-ed back down, savoring every moment, every turn until I reached Courchevel, and I headed straight to the Small creperie where they made the Grand Marnier Crepes.

God!! I'm going back there again, to ski down Jockey, Chan Rossa, Swiss, then end up at La Saulire for that last run once more. Yes!! It was God's country and I was lucky enough to be allowed to experience it.

jimakos
18th October 2009, 10:23
Yes tannat this is Greece!!!
That's why I think is the most beautiful country...
Wait for some new photos :D

Shifter
19th October 2009, 06:19
I kinda do it for a living ....it can be overrated some days.

Favourite state for scenery on the road? Wyoming is interesting, I also enjoy the desert of West Texas, and the Sierra Nevada of California, but I never get tired of the Shenandoah valley area of Virginia. Don't ask me why...just love it. Mass and New England also...especially in the fall.

Shenandoah Valley? That's my hometown. The Valley braketed by the Karst WV region to the west and the Blue Ridge to the east is nice. I wonder if I have a case of 'the grass is always greener'...there are times in the early morning when I'm headed to Summit Point raceway early in the morning when I crest the rise with the valley below, fog hanging around the old mountains and the Shenandoah below that it strikes me as gorgeous. However, the forests are downright thick and almost all the land has 'no trespassing' signs, it feels a bit like driving though a picture, as if you can never really get close to it.

Whenever i see the rolling open hills of the napa valley around Laguna Seca it seems so...open and free. Having been to California it seems like you could just wander about and get to the tops of the mountains on foot, walking about the open landscape past the clumps of trees. It looks as if you could experience the countryside moreso than you can in the Shenandoah.

Other places that seems striking to me are the boreal forests of the nordic countries, New Zealand for the dramatic waterfalls and elevation changes. Based upon what i've seen from Top Gear, WRC and Monaco the south of France seems quite remarkable. However, come to think of it, the most striking countryside i think I've seen images of is Iceland. The crystal lakes combined with the volcanic nature of the landscape just seems so incredible to me.

gadjo_dilo
19th October 2009, 09:44

Ok, so here's Romania: the land of choice
http://www.hopa.ro/video-filme/Diverse/9395/Peisaje+din+Romania

...and from the cycle " beautiful country, too bad it's inhabited " , here's Romania: the end of choice
http://www.220.ro/kvHi0JU6PK/Video-Haioase-Faze-Amuzante-Din-Romania

Conclusion: you'll love this place if you have a good sense of humour. :laugh:

tannat
19th October 2009, 11:40
Ok, so here's Romania: the land of choice
http://www.hopa.ro/video-filme/Diverse/9395/Peisaje+din+Romania

...and from the cycle " beautiful country, too bad it's inhabited " , here's Romania: the end of choice
http://www.220.ro/kvHi0JU6PK/Video-Haioase-Faze-Amuzante-Din-Romania

Conclusion: you'll love this place if you have a good sense of humour. :laugh:

Hee hee-quite good...

It would not be too difficult to find similar photos in the United States...

Cheers :up: