PDA

View Full Version : USF1.........its ALIVE!!!! (with pictures)

Giuseppe F1
8th October 2009, 10:04
Weve now seen far more activities and updates and now actual photo evidence of operational premises from USF1 then we have Campos, Manor and Lotus, so feel the questions and finger-pointing should all be in those teams' directions now and not in the direction of Charlotte, NC...

--------------------

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/usf1-interview-with-ken-anderson-and-pictures/

USF1: Interview with Ken Anderson and pictures
October 7, 2009 by joesaward

There have been lots of rumours in recent weeks that the USF1 team was not going to make it. This has prompted the team to give a few more details of what is going on at its base at Charlotte, North Carolina. Team boss Ken Anderson explains what has been happening.

Ken, what is going on at US F1 Team?

“It has been quite a ride since we started the team last year, and has become far more intense since the signing of the Concorde Agreement. Our world headquarters is now complete and fully functional, and the 2010 racecar is in the construction phase.”

So the car is finally being built? Isn’t it a little late to get something like that started?

“Funny that you ask that question – we get that one a lot. Thanks to our in-house design and engineering staff and the aid of our technical partners, for the last 10 to 12 months, the car has gone through thousands of iterations in a virtual environment. With this virtual design, we can test and be sure that it’s right from structural, design and engineering standpoints, so we don’t have to make a part, test it, break it and start again. Instead, we’ve taken out a lot of the guesswork and can get close to a race-ready piece right off of the machines, which is happening now. Our timing is according to plan, with an early November “roller” and a finished car in time for January 2010 testing.”

So who’s building the car? Americans? Europeans? Are you building the car in Charlotte?

“I’ll answer the last part of the question first. Yes, we’re building the car in our shop here in Charlotte. America is known as a “melting pot” and our team is a reflection of just that. Americans, Europeans, New Zealanders, Welshmen and more are responsible for the racecar, including many who have high-level experience in the current Formula One environment. Many of our new hires we connected with back in June and July, and they will be joining the team formally at the end of the month. We are very grateful to the current Formula One teams for releasing some of our “newest” team members early – that has been a huge help as we continue to prepare for the 2010 Formula One season.”

Let’s talk about what we’re seeing in some of these pictures…what are we looking at here?

“In two words, we’re “fully equipped.” Our machine shop features three- and five-axis CNC machines; we have a composite shop with autoclaves and a 24-foot CNC cutting table; a complete fab shop; assembly and sub-assembly; electronics; research and development; design and engineering; CFD and aerodynamics; marketing and communications; and a full in-house HD production facility, just to name a few departments. Building a team and a world class manufacturing facility are a work-in-progress but we’re ahead of schedule and are excited about going racing next year.”

Can you talk a little about the cost efficiency of manufacturing a Formula One car in the U.S. How can the operation be cheaper than what we’ve seen out there?

“The major cost savings will be that the engineering and production of the cars will be done in the United States. Our technical partners located within a 30-mile radius of our shop contribute to this savings, as there are some departments we don’t have to have in-house, such as a wind tunnel, shaker rig, K&C machine, additional CFD support and a center of gravity machine. What most people see – the transporters, motorcoaches and the “lifestyle” side of Formula One – are a much smaller part of the overall budget and will be located at our European facility, which we’ll tell you about soon!”

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/us-f1-team-5-a2.jpg

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/us-f1-team-auto-clave-1.jpg

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/us-f1-team-design-2.jpg

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/us-f1-team-machine-shop-2lr1.jpg

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/us-f1-team-design-3.jpg

Giuseppe F1
8th October 2009, 10:25
Also interesting that they are having a European facility which makes sense. Alot different to how they originally marketed the team..

USF1 ALWAYS maintained from the very start that they planned to have a secondary Euro base for the in-season

Giuseppe F1
8th October 2009, 10:27
USF1 have also now released these CFD images of their first car too...

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_1.JPG

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_2.JPG

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_3.JPG

I am evil Homer
8th October 2009, 10:27
Interesting...they can't officially announce who they hired for another few weeks - wonder if they'll be any big names? Certainly looks a professional outfit and if they have the rumoured backers they could do well.

AndyL
8th October 2009, 10:55
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/usf1-interview-with-ken-anderson-and-pictures/
Americans, Europeans, New Zealanders, Welshmen

I like how he gives the Welsh their own category, outside of Europe :D

Saint Devote
8th October 2009, 11:03
I'm drooling over the CNC in the first picture, its slightly better than mine :p

Also interesting that they are having a European facility which makes sense. Alot different to how they originally marketed the team..

Back in August they said it would probably be the Motorland Aragon facility in central Spain.

Dave B
8th October 2009, 11:35
Call me an old cynic, but I'll be amazed if they're present for more than a couple of races. Actually I'll be amazed if the turn out to be any better than 1997-stylee Lola.

Steve2009
8th October 2009, 11:44

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_1.JPG

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_2.JPG

http://usf1blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/usf1_cfd_3.JPG
Not sure I like the livery :confused: :p :

CNR
8th October 2009, 13:10
is this one of there drivers ?

http://www.infraredcamerasinc.com/images/Medical-Infrared-Thermography/Thermal-Infrared-Full-Body-Scan.jpg

Knock-on
8th October 2009, 13:22
Call me an old cynic, but I'll be amazed if they're present for more than a couple of races. Actually I'll be amazed if the turn out to be any better than 1997-stylee Lola.

You're an olde cynic Dave. :p

You need to consider the fundemental changes in Fi from the 70's. Back then, a car could be designed on the back of a pack of Capstans and as long as a Whippet could be sold, enough money to get the Jam Jar on the grid could be found.

In todays corporate speak world where due dilligence and spread sheets have replaced innovation and inginuity, the purse string holders will have a much clearer idea of what can be accomplished before parting with a nickel.

If they make it to the grid, they will probably last the season.

Sonic
8th October 2009, 13:48
Considering this car is to the 2010 regs with a massive fuel tank I am pleased to see the car doesn't look.....lardy round the middle.

Nicely undercut sidepods too.

Placid
8th October 2009, 14:18
is this one of there drivers ?

http://www.infraredcamerasinc.com/images/Medical-Infrared-Thermography/Thermal-Infrared-Full-Body-Scan.jpg

It may require lipo!!!

Knock-on
8th October 2009, 14:46
It may require lipo!!!

Must be JV then :laugh:

schmenke
8th October 2009, 14:59
Pretty pictures, but little evidence of anyone actually constructing a car or components... :mark:

Easy Drifter
8th October 2009, 15:47
They have a shop and they have equipment and that is far more than we actually knew a couple of days ago.
They also have some staged pictures.
Nobody is actually running any of the equipment except the computer.
None of the machinery or workbenches look like they have ever seen any production. Also missing are any toolboxes. Now the machinists may not have their own (unlikely) but a machine shop will have toolboxes.
They do admit in their press release that production has not actually started so I guess I am being overly critical.
There certainly has been progress though.

Steve2009
8th October 2009, 16:00
Windsor drops "The Ants" name: :eek:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79326

"But that required more downtime that we didn't have. It will be interesting when the music stops how many of the experienced guys are standing.

"It's a buyer's market. Let's hope that really talented drivers like Anthony Davidson, Jamie Green and Gary Paffett all get a chance in F1 because it's sad that so many talented drivers haven't had a chance."

UltimateDanGTR
8th October 2009, 16:06
interesting, seems USF1 are doing alright. who knows where they will end up, looking at their car design im not too sure about how good it will be, thats just my instinct.

at least we know they are ALIVE at least, which is a start........

veeten
8th October 2009, 16:24
Well, since they, as well as the other teams, can't build and use an actual car until after the present season ends, CFD and other testing modes are all you can use. We won't see them on track until, basically, after the holiday season.

Knowing that the main campus is set for production is, at least, a good sign. :)

JasonD
8th October 2009, 16:52
interesting, seems USF1 are doing alright. who knows where they will end up, looking at their car design im not too sure about how good it will be, thats just my instinct.

Ummm, ya, of course you're not "too sure" because its only CFD images. :rolleyes:

I dont think anyone expects them to be on the front row in the first race but you cant get that from those pictures, thats just common sense.

V12
8th October 2009, 17:17

Two things killed the Lola project - the ridiculously short lead time (only announced late '96) that meant the T97/30 had never even seen a wind tunnel (I know the Manor won't either, but that's a different story) or had any meaningful track time beyond a systems shakedown.

Secondly, the quirky funding arrangements with Mastercard that were dependent on the racing team attracting members to raise funds. When this (predictably) didn't happen, at least on the scale expected/required, the money dried up and they were gone by Interlagos. The two are actually linked. Lola had originally set their sights on a 1998 entry, then at MC's insistence the whole thing was moved up 12 months.

Neither of those seem to apply here. They won't set the world alight, hell they might well be slowest of the four new teams, but I don't think they'll embarrass themselves Mastercard Lola style somehow.

rabf1
8th October 2009, 17:28
The rumour here in the US is that their drivers will be Jacques Villeneuve and Ralph Schumacher.

Mark
8th October 2009, 17:31
Not US drivers?

Dave B
8th October 2009, 17:50
Jacques and Ralf? And there was me thinking that USF1 might want to score some points :s

DexDexter
8th October 2009, 17:52
Not US drivers?

Jacques is North American, so using the same logic some US posters do when they lable all of us just euros he's in fact American. :D In fact if they have Bruno Senna and him, they have two American drivers :)

jens
8th October 2009, 18:50
So the 'American Dream' might actually come to reality? :) I have been among the skeptics so far, but if it makes it to the grid, then hopefully it won't be an embarrassment pace- and reliability wise, which is actually a way harder task to fulfill.

I am actually "silently" looking forward to see at least one of the new teams failing to reach the grid and hopefully clearly in advance to the opening GP. :p : Just to let that way better-prepared Sauber to race! What a shame they won't allow 14th team. :(

JasonD
8th October 2009, 19:13
The rumour here in the US is that their drivers will be Jacques Villeneuve and Ralph Schumacher.

Better check your rumour pages again, those are all dated for July with an announcement coming in "a few weeks" only to be squashed by JV himeslf days after the initial reports saying no deal was in place.

call_me_andrew
9th October 2009, 04:07
Ken Anderson has stated that he thinks the CFD images are pretty enough to use as a livery.

But on a sad note, I think they're making a major mistake in those images. Bridgestone is going to make the front tires narrower next year. Those look like 2009 tires.

Steve2009
9th October 2009, 04:42
Ken Anderson has stated that he thinks the CFD images are pretty enough to use as a livery.

I think desert camouflage would be more appropriate :uhoh: :grenade: :)

dj4monie
9th October 2009, 11:44

You be a Cynic and Old, I don't care which one but you'll be disappointed.

What happen with Carl L Haas when he ran his F1 team it was an extension of his CART Team he had with Newman. When Beatrice management changed, the new management were not racing fans and pulled the plug. They didn't get the specific Lola car until later in the season and they were somewhat competitive, even score a point or two and this was back before they revised the points system.

I like all the naysayers that nobody in America wants to race F1 because of the outrageous cost involved. The FIA has done what it can to reduce cost and with the ban in testing that further saves money. You can design and build your car completely in CFD as Nick Writh proved with the Acura LMP program and his car with Manor F1 will never see a Wind Tunnel not even for a second. USF1 already owns one, but I doubt they'll need it either.

The change in regulations means its anybody's ball game. Brawn came out the gate flying because Ross was able to make an interpretation of the difuser rules and his car was competitive straight away.

Nobody expected the Powerhouse teams to struggle and they did and largely still are. They are not dominate this year, so its been a complete toss up in the 2nd half and unlike years past you had NO idea who was going to win.

I said back before the summer break that Button might not win the title, Brawn doesn't have the advantage it once did and it seems their car is overtly sensitive to track temps.

USF1 is in the same places all the other new teams are and just because they are US based doesn't mean their struggle more than another team might, that's utter nonsense.

Rumor has it Wurz will be one of the drivers and I expect maybe two veteran drivers in USF1 as no American drivers that would want to drive for them anyway has a Super License needed. Sebass might also be one of the drivers. He's known to US fans and he has a Super License and honestly when he was booted from his seat, Toro Rosso hasn't done any better with their GP2 rookie in the car, so I would say it wasn't his fault, the car just sucks...

Look towards the future you have Alex Rossi who's already won twice or maybe its three times in International Formula Master (F3) in his FIRST season. You have Conor Daly, Derek Daly's son currently in Star Mazda and Jonathon Summerton who's won in A1GP and might win his first Cooper Tires Atlantics title this weekend.

There are several US based multi-national companies that could sponsor this program so don't be so sure it will fail.

dj4monie
9th October 2009, 11:58
Two things killed the Lola project - the ridiculously short lead time (only announced late '96) that meant the T97/30 had never even seen a wind tunnel (I know the Manor won't either, but that's a different story) or had any meaningful track time beyond a systems shakedown.

Secondly, the quirky funding arrangements with Mastercard that were dependent on the racing team attracting members to raise funds. When this (predictably) didn't happen, at least on the scale expected/required, the money dried up and they were gone by Interlagos. The two are actually linked. Lola had originally set their sights on a 1998 entry, then at MC's insistence the whole thing was moved up 12 months.

Neither of those seem to apply here. They won't set the world alight, hell they might well be slowest of the four new teams, but I don't think they'll embarrass themselves Mastercard Lola style somehow.

Agreed, but I don't think they'll be the slowest. A few Americans have been successful in F1. It just takes a ton of money and connections, along with talent now to make it in Europe so you'll get noticed by teams in F1.

There several drivers with F1 testing experience that could drive for USF1.

Off the top of my head -

Gary Paffet is a test driver for McLaren, currently in DTM would like a F1 drive

Ollie Jarvis current DTM driver for Audi, former A1GP competitor, F1 test driver

Anthony Davidson former test driver with Honda F1, was not retained by Brawn GP for budgetary reasons.

Alex Wurz, semi retired from F1, winner of 24 hrs of Le Mans this year, 2 time winner previously of the race.

Bruno Senna, runner up in GP2 in 2008, turned down a DTM drive to run with Oreca's LMP program at Le Mans.

UltimateDanGTR
9th October 2009, 16:44
Ummm, ya, of course you're not "too sure" because its only CFD images. :rolleyes:

I dont think anyone expects them to be on the front row in the first race but you cant get that from those pictures, thats just common sense.

well I know, just an instinct tells me that the car does not look as fast as others are likely to be. You may call me ridiculous, but those sidepods dont look 'speedy', although the front nose cone looks very aerodynamic, so may be good in a straight line, if not using a cosworth.

dont ask me why, i have an instinct about these things, i look at an F1 car and go 'looks fast' or 'doesnt look competitive'. usually im right as it goes, i saw the renault as uncompetitive, and i saw the force india with those sidepods and thought 'wont be fast, doesnt look enough like a race winner' as it goes, they managed to develope that one, and renault were good in singapore, but thats this season. I expected the ferrari to be better though looking at the first pictures, but i was wrong, and subsequently my FGP team is suffering. im not claiming to be a phsycic or special future predictor, i just look at these things in a different light ;)

gloomyDAY
9th October 2009, 20:29
$10 says they don't make the grid.

Any takers?!