7th October 2009, 13:12
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79319

Sonic
7th October 2009, 13:15
The best drive still open to him.

Mark
7th October 2009, 13:41
The best drive still open to him.

Eh? He's signed for Renault, it's all confirmed.

N. Jones
7th October 2009, 14:05
Good luck to him as I'm not sure he can haul that car up into the points like Alonso did.

harsha
7th October 2009, 14:06
good luck to him...he's def gonna need it,

but to be honest..there was no other option really

jens
7th October 2009, 14:22
Hmm. IMO Kubica may have rushed with the decision a bit unless he has got a clear "no" from Brawn/McLaren. Even Toyota seems at least sporadically very competitive this year unlike Renault, who has been midfield all season. Also I suspect Renault isn't really quite the same any more after the withdrawal of Michelin. And who knows, what kind of effect might the new management and sponsors have on the team next year. From the positive side, Renault had quite a risky design concept for '09, with which they may have shot in the foot slightly, so maybe they will have learnt from these mistakes by 2010?

waitey
7th October 2009, 14:36
Hmm. IMO Kubica may have rushed with the decision a bit unless he has got a clear "no" from Brawn/McLaren. Even Toyota seems at least sporadically very competitive this year unlike Renault, who has been midfield all season. Also I suspect Renault isn't really quite the same any more after the withdrawal of Michelin. And who knows, what kind of effect might the new management and sponsors have on the team next year. From the positive side, Renault had quite a risky design concept for '09, with which they may have shot in the foot slightly, so maybe they will have learnt from these mistakes by 2010?

I agree. However maybe the offer to join either Mclaren or Brawn was obviously going to make him the number 2 driver and he simply wasn't prepared to take that. He is a very determined and hungry driver for success Kubica and he will obviously be the number 1 driver at Renault.

But I hope he hasn't rushed the decision when things could dramatically change if Kimi chooses to leave. Either way I have said numerous times I think Kubica is one of the best drivers on the grid and he deserves a race winning car so hopefully Renault can get their act together for 2010!

ioan
7th October 2009, 14:43
Good.

truefan72
7th October 2009, 15:14

I think his 2 best options were Renault or staying with BMW.
From what Renault have been talking, it seems that their 2010 car will be pretty good and I have no reason to doubt them. 2009 was a learning experience for all the teams on the grid and if hostory holds form, we wills ee a much closer competiotn next year.

I'm still thinking that BMw will be a sleeper team for 2010 though, and I won't be surprised if the BMW engine might or toyota engine will be powering that car. If they get their design right, then that car too given the talent at the team will be a good car too. I think hiedfeld stays put and nakajima joins him there or Klien.

Anyway, 2 down, now we wait for Kimi to announce his return to mclaren, after that the rest of the domino's will fall.

Roamy
7th October 2009, 15:21
good - now he can putter around in mediocrity where he belongs

Kimi - Go to Toyota !!!!

Steve2009
7th October 2009, 15:41
Viva RK :p :

jens
7th October 2009, 16:31
From what Renault have been talking, it seems that their 2010 car will be pretty good and I have no reason to doubt them.

I'm still thinking that BMw will be a sleeper team for 2010 though, and I won't be surprised if the BMW engine might or toyota engine will be powering that car. If they get their design right, then that car too given the talent at the team will be a good car too. I think hiedfeld stays put and nakajima joins him there or Klien.

At this stage of development, nobody can possibly know, how good their car might be next year in relation to others. I remember in 2008 Alonso arguably decided to stay at Renault, because "he thought the car was going to be good next year". :p : Sorry, but that's not an argument.

As for BMW, then yeah... a bit shame that they are leaving now, while being seemingly on an upward swing. Looking at their progress late-09, I wouldn't have ruled out a 07-08-style season for BMW-Sauber in 2010 again, had they continued. But it remains to be seen, how will all that messing with engines and ownership affect them.

UltimateDanGTR
7th October 2009, 17:34
If BMW had made an excellent car this year, Kubica wouldnt have to go to Renault. and He would stand a chance of the world title. In essence, what Kubica has been let down by, and this can really effect his carer in a bad way, is the BMW F1.09. I hope im wrong and renault build a good car next year, because kubica deserves a great car........

havk
7th October 2009, 19:04
I prefer to see Kubica in Toyota, strange decision - Renault in this season is disappointing and the affair and losing sponsors don't help them. And in last two races Toyota get podium. But who knows - maybe next season Renault will be better - Kubica and his manager should know more than we about the current situation of the team, future plans etc. Interesting whether Brawn and McLaren were interested in Kubica..

DiegoMartinez
8th October 2009, 01:05
When Alonso went to McLaren. I hoped Kubica would replace Alonso.

Now I think it's a little bit late. Renault isn't on the top.

I hope Kubica can win racings next year... ;)

airshifter
8th October 2009, 01:35
I think Kubica is one of the more talented drivers on the grid. He's made some stupid mistakes, but what driver on the grid hasn't?

Alonso won his WDCs when the car was as good as anything on the grid. Now with the car more towards the middle of the pack, that is where he is finishing.

He's only beating Massa by 4 points right now. :laugh:

Saint Devote
8th October 2009, 01:43
Renault was the correct decsion because Toyota have no idea how to run a formula 1 team and they haven't a clue how to win.

The issue is whether Renault can manage without Briatore - the team was HIS unlike other auto manufacturers and generally, the manufacturers are unsuccessful in f1 except RENAULT even before Briatore.

Kubica wanted a team that was certain they would remain in f1 - there is nothing to suggest that Toyota will definitely be on the grid in 2010 let alone anything that would allow a driver to base his medium term career future with them.

Kubica is rated highly in pitlane. He showed he could race Vettel in the Red Bull in Australia and Hamilton regards him highly too.

This could be Kubica's chance and allow him to do what Jenson Button is doing so well this year - proving his armchair critics wrong because nobody in f1 agrees with them.

Koz
8th October 2009, 01:48
If he signed for toyota, and Kimi too, they would have stayed.

Kimi would be perfect in his "come to the race and win" mode and Kubi in the tester/developer role without favoritism. It would have been grand.

Now he shot himself in the foot.

Isn't it better to be no2 in a team that can win a race than be no1 in a team that probably can't?

Damn you Julius Caesar!

Saint Devote
8th October 2009, 03:02
I think Kubica is one of the more talented drivers on the grid. He's made some stupid mistakes, but what driver on the grid hasn't?

Alonso won his WDCs when the car was as good as anything on the grid. Now with the car more towards the middle of the pack, that is where he is finishing.

He's only beating Massa by 4 points right now. :laugh:

In modern racing I have never witnessed any driver NOT winning in one of the best cars.

Massa HAD one of teh best cars - he was unable to close the WDC deal.

And if you imagine that Massa is a driver of comparable ability to Alonso, you really ought to think again.

Just because you support a driver does not mean you have to imagine he is better than the man who in 2006 knocked Schumacher out of the ballpark and into retirement.

Alonso's real target in f1 - Schumacher's record - what else is there to aim for?

Saint Devote
8th October 2009, 03:13
It is quite possible that Nick Heidfeld could become Kubica's teammate. And why not?

Grosjean has not exactly been an improvement in Piquet - although he has only raced in FIVE grands prix.

Tomorrow Sebastien Loeb will be testing a GP2 car during the third day of tryouts by numerous drivers from the more junior formulae - I am looking forward to that and would it not be great to have him in a Torro Rosso at Yas Marina on Nov 1?

Also GP2 scheduled is another driver that has maybe been forgotten, Bruno Senna.

jens
8th October 2009, 22:45
Actually there is one more factor that could have influenced Kubica's decision, which I haven't thought about previously. :D The Renault engine, which could possibly be the most economical one among others. It has been noticed on multiple occasions that Alonso seems to pit later in races than the weights should suggest.

Next year an economical engine could really come handy. I can vaguely remember that Alesi praised Ford's economical V8 engine back in 1990, which enabled him to start races with a lighter fuel load than rivals, which in turn was why he was so fast in the beginning of races. Maybe next year Renault's will be flying after the starts? :p : And thirsty Cosworths will be like sitting ducks.

airshifter
9th October 2009, 03:40
In modern racing I have never witnessed any driver NOT winning in one of the best cars.

Massa HAD one of teh best cars - he was unable to close the WDC deal.

And if you imagine that Massa is a driver of comparable ability to Alonso, you really ought to think again.

Just because you support a driver does not mean you have to imagine he is better than the man who in 2006 knocked Schumacher out of the ballpark and into retirement.

Alonso's real target in f1 - Schumacher's record - what else is there to aim for?

Massa missed his WDC by a single point, and wasn't racing MS or Alonso in the 2006 cars. Different years, cars, competitors, and year end results.

I do realize others are entitled to their opinions but you seem to not understand the same.

I believe both Massa and Kubica are probably as good as Alonso, and I think Kimi when he's inclined is probably better. And though you're inclined to think Button is a top driver, I personally don't. I think he's simply a good driver in a car that started the season with an advantage over most others.

AndyL
9th October 2009, 11:13
Actually there is one more factor that could have influenced Kubica's decision, which I haven't thought about previously. :D The Renault engine, which could possibly be the most economical one among others. It has been noticed on multiple occasions that Alonso seems to pit later in races than the weights should suggest.

Next year an economical engine could really come handy. I can vaguely remember that Alesi praised Ford's economical V8 engine back in 1990, which enabled him to start races with a lighter fuel load than rivals, which in turn was why he was so fast in the beginning of races. Maybe next year Renault's will be flying after the starts? :p : And thirsty Cosworths will be like sitting ducks.

Excellent point.

I wonder if some of the other manufacturers (like Mercedes) might actually be well advised to take Max's offer to reduce their engine output if it gives them the opportunity to introduce some fuel-saving design features.

SGWilko
9th October 2009, 11:53
Excellent point.

I wonder if some of the other manufacturers (like Mercedes) might actually be well advised to take Max's offer to reduce their engine output if it gives them the opportunity to introduce some fuel-saving design features.

Isn't the Mercedes cited as being not only powerful, but frugal too?

Josti
9th October 2009, 13:27

Maybe Schumacher retired because he had been in F1 since 1991, was a 7-time world champion and pretty much broke every record he could. And as far as I remember, Schumacher announced retirement after winning the Italian Grand Prix when he was still in contention for his 8th title.

ShiftingGears
9th October 2009, 13:40
Maybe Schumacher retired because he had been in F1 since 1991, was a 7-time world champion and pretty much broke every record he could. And as far as I remember, Schumacher announced retirement after winning the Italian Grand Prix when he was still in contention for his 8th title.

Yes, after the race he was trailing Alonso by two points, and Alonso hadn't won for six rounds.

AndyL
9th October 2009, 14:38
Isn't the Mercedes cited as being not only powerful, but frugal too?

Certainly not the worst, but if they have the biggest power advantage over the weakest engines, then they could perhaps have the most scope to gain even better economy as a side-effect of power equalisation.

stevie_gerrard
12th October 2009, 13:25
Kubica is a great driver, but he regularly underperforms in a weak car. Bit of a Button really. Renault are gonna have to develop their car well over the winter to give him a chance of regular points finishes, even podiums. If he is given the car, his talent will shine through.