PDA

View Full Version : Brawn GP WCC 2009

Knock-on
6th October 2009, 15:41
Congratulations to Brawn GP. What a amazing Phoenix like eruption from the Honda ashes to claim a maiden F1 constructors title in their first year. (OK, there is a fractional chance they can be beaten if both Redbull drivers get a 1 – 2 at both remaining GP’s and Brawn fail to score a point :rolleyes: )

All through the disruption caused by Honda’s demise from F1, the team have kept their heads down and just got on with it. They must be delighted.

Other teams had consistency and testing where Brawn put a car together that was fast out of the box. People wrote them off as not having a chance and that they would be lucky to score a point but here they are, WCC elect.

The boys and girls from Brackley have done something amazing and deserve huge respect. It’s 7 months to the day that the team was officially created and they lead the world.

I’ve waited a long time to say well done, very well done.

Dave B
6th October 2009, 15:55
Steady on there, fella. For a moment I thought you'd got news that somebody had been DQ'd from Japan!

There's parallels with Plato's performance at Brands Hatch at the weekend, aren't there? Even as everybody else went testing, Brawn weren't sure they'd have a car on the grid. And yet here they are on the cusp of a title.

Congratulations to them (assuming there's not some catastrophic failure!) and respect to Button for sticking with the team and risking his career. There's very few drivers who have won Championships with more than one team, there are even fewer team principals (yes yes he wasn't in the same role at Ferrari but you get the point!). Hats off to Ross Brawn.

harvick#1
6th October 2009, 16:12
they should thank the FIA in allowing to keep the DD diffuser, once the teams finally caught up, they were not the same team.

or if they were to remove it, the outcome would've been a Red Bull Racing domination.

hopefully 2010 will restore better rules to get rid of the DD diffusers

F1boat
6th October 2009, 17:11
They are not yet champions.

Knock-on
6th October 2009, 17:28
Steady on there, fella. For a moment I thought you'd got news that somebody had been DQ'd from Japan!

There's parallels with Plato's performance at Brands Hatch at the weekend, aren't there? Even as everybody else went testing, Brawn weren't sure they'd have a car on the grid. And yet here they are on the cusp of a title.

Congratulations to them (assuming there's not some catastrophic failure!) and respect to Button for sticking with the team and risking his career. There's very few drivers who have won Championships with more than one team, there are even fewer team principals (yes yes he wasn't in the same role at Ferrari but you get the point!). Hats off to Ross Brawn.

Plato was awesome at the weekend. It was the best I have ever seen him race. He couldn't have done more :up:

However, Button and Brawn have lead from the first meeting and although taking their time wrapping it up, the team never really looked like losing it IMHO.

Brazil is gonna be one hell of a party. I'm off to buy a Lottery ticket so I can get out there :D

F1boat
6th October 2009, 19:46
Don't count the chickens...

donKey jote
6th October 2009, 21:29
Knockie has been counting egg baskets for years now... at last his dreams come true bless 'im :laugh:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Saint Devote
7th October 2009, 00:59
they should thank the FIA in allowing to keep the DD diffuser, once the teams finally caught up, they were not the same team.

or if they were to remove it, the outcome would've been a Red Bull Racing domination.

hopefully 2010 will restore better rules to get rid of the DD diffusers

The diffuser was a clever loophole to find - if you look back on f1 through the years it is filled with such cleverness in addition to all the usual wizardry.

So you would have a very long list of causes and effects all related to the same sort of "boffinism" as that of the diffuser issue - and it was only part of a concept that would have seen the Brawn, in the eyes of Gary Anderson anyway, competitive.

Clearly you have not studied the technical observations by people such as Anderson because then you would not see it as simple and as obvious as you do or would like to believe.

It is not nascar or indyracing which are spec series really and have little in common with the concept of f1.

Saint Devote
7th October 2009, 01:09
Congratulations to Brawn GP. What a amazing Phoenix like eruption from the Honda ashes to claim a maiden F1 constructors title in their first year. (OK, there is a fractional chance they can be beaten if both Redbull drivers get a 1 – 2 at both remaining GP’s and Brawn fail to score a point :rolleyes: )

All through the disruption caused by Honda’s demise from F1, the team have kept their heads down and just got on with it. They must be delighted.

Other teams had consistency and testing where Brawn put a car together that was fast out of the box. People wrote them off as not having a chance and that they would be lucky to score a point but here they are, WCC elect.

The boys and girls from Brackley have done something amazing and deserve huge respect. It’s 7 months to the day that the team was officially created and they lead the world.

Whatever happens, I think it will go down as the most amazing team performance since the 1977 Wolf team.

The championship that Dieitrich Mateschitz has always stated he wants most of all is the Constructors and it was THAT championship he referred to when he said it wasover and blamed Renault.

And while Ross Brawn would be delighted to have a world champion driver, it is the Constructors title that is most important to a team principle.

:D Brawn-Mercedes World Champion 2009, beating Mclaren and Ferrari - even Ross will get emotional.

jens
7th October 2009, 14:28
Congrats to Brawn! :up: One of the most incredible rises in the history of Formula One. From 9th (WCC position in 2008) to 1st, despite the change of ownership - just wow!

Sleeper
7th October 2009, 15:30
About the only thing that can stop Brawn becoming champions now is a meteor landing on Brackley!

An impressive performance and just imagine how much better they could have been if they had the chance to dsign the Mercedes engine into the car, rather than bolt it on (thats certinly added a lot of weight they could have done without).

wedge
7th October 2009, 16:41
An impressive performance and just imagine how much better they could have been if they had the chance to dsign the Mercedes engine into the car, rather than bolt it on (thats certinly added a lot of weight they could have done without).

Pretty much a perfect fit. Never had to alter or redesign the transmission.

IIRC they considered Ferrari but its a bulky engine - STR had to adapt the rear end of the RBR chassis.

VkmSpouge
7th October 2009, 20:17

They'll only have to count 0.5 more of a chicken and it will be official.

F1boat
7th October 2009, 20:23
They'll only have to count 0.5 more of a chicken and it will be official.

Half a chicken is still half a chicken. Don't get me wrong, I hope that Brawn GP will win both championships, but this is one of the most bizzare seasons, so, as Ross himself says: it is not over till it's over.

airshifter
8th October 2009, 01:21
The season starting with a better diffuser that was allowed by the FIA was a bold move that worked, and has held them through the rest of the season against increasingly competitive cars in many cases.

They rolled the dice and won this time.

Sleeper
8th October 2009, 09:16
Pretty much a perfect fit. Never had to alter or redesign the transmission.

IIRC they considered Ferrari but its a bulky engine - STR had to adapt the rear end of the RBR chassis.
Definitely not a perfect fit. They had to add a fair bit of weight to the car to make the late change and would need a whole new chassis to lighten it back again as I understand. Its also the reasnon why Brawn arent able to use KERS, the cars too heavy for it to be a help.

Remeber, they pretty much lost that first big update as they used it to make sure the airflow for cooling was optimal, everybody else worked on performance.

wedge
8th October 2009, 11:58
Ah yes but Brawn admitting Merc is better than Ferrari is something I won't forget in a hurry :D

ClarkFan
11th October 2009, 04:27
They are not yet champions.

No, but this one is pretty much iced. All they need is one point or for Red Bull not to finish 1-2 in either of the last two races. Considering that Red Bull seems to be unable to even keep two cars in the points each race, I'd say that Brawn can start chilling the bubbly.

The drivers' championship is still in play, though Button is a strong favorite. The constructor's championship is really done.

ClarkFan

555-04Q2
12th October 2009, 12:01

Aaargggghhhh Knockie, you've jinxed them now!

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 12:40
Aaargggghhhh Knockie, you've jinxed them now!

I will be sitting in some Cafe on Sunday, probably on the coast with a chilled Cava remembering that comment my friend :D

stevie_gerrard
12th October 2009, 13:30
A bit premature, but nonetheless it is thoroughly deserved if they win the Constructors Title. They were quicker off the mark compared to everyone else and took full advantage in the early stages. Thats what has won them the title.