PDA

View Full Version : Force India in the long run

jens
6th October 2009, 14:30
At Suzuka Sutil again qualified 4th, although subsequent grid penalty and collision with Kovalainen destroyed his race. But all this is making me wonder, whether their competitiveness is a temporary phenomenon or not. What do you all think, how good might the Indians be in 2010? Is the co-operation with McLaren and stability found under new ownership finally starting to bear its fruits in long-term or have they "fluked" good upgrades recently thanks to new rules, which most teams are still struggling to fully capitalize on?

And can an improved Force India attract a top-line driver? Both Sutil and Liuzzi have a reputation of being a fast, but kinda error-prone and inconsistent driver. Probably someone like Räikkönen or Kubica is out of question, when talking about FI line-up, but what about for instance Heidfeld? If the car is good, someone, who is capable of scoring points on a consistent basis, could be useful.

Dave B
6th October 2009, 15:50
A great engine and an aero configuration that really only truly shines at low downforce circuits do not, unfortunately, make for a top team. It's encouraging to see how they've improved this year, but part of that is down to the relative underperformance of their rivals (I'm looking at you, Toyota, Toro Rosso and Williams), and I doubt that they've got the capability of challenging for anything other than the occasional podium.

I am evil Homer
6th October 2009, 16:24
No...best they could hope for is being a stronger midfield team. I think they could well so that if (and it's a big 'if') they continue the upward trend...as Dave said they have a strong engine and decent aero for some circuits but it's clear the car isn't that great. And this year has been remarkable for the relative failure of other teams you'd expect more from.

Also while Sutil does seem a decent driver, with occasional brain fade, Luizzi is very average. I can see them maybe grabbing points here and there in 2010 but nothing more.

wedge
6th October 2009, 16:51
A great engine and an aero configuration that really only truly shines at low downforce circuits do not, unfortunately, make for a top team. It's encouraging to see how they've improved this year, but part of that is down to the relative underperformance of their rivals (I'm looking at you, Toyota, Toro Rosso and Williams), and I doubt that they've got the capability of challenging for anything other than the occasional podium.

Suzuka is hardly low downforce track

FI could turn out to be a decent midfield team if they aero guys keep up the good work and the weight distribution sorted next year.

Garry Walker
6th October 2009, 17:49
At Suzuka Sutil again qualified 4th, although subsequent grid penalty and collision with Kovalainen destroyed his race. But all this is making me wonder, whether their competitiveness is a temporary phenomenon or not. What do you all think, how good might the Indians be in 2010? Is the co-operation with McLaren and stability found under new ownership finally starting to bear its fruits in long-term or have they "fluked" good upgrades recently thanks to new rules, which most teams are still struggling to fully capitalize on?

And can an improved Force India attract a top-line driver? Both Sutil and Liuzzi have a reputation of being a fast, but kinda error-prone and inconsistent driver. Probably someone like Räikkönen or Kubica is out of question, when talking about FI line-up, but what about for instance Heidfeld? If the car is good, someone, who is capable of scoring points on a consistent basis, could be useful.Liuzzi a fast driver? Have seen NO evidence of that at all. Not sure Sutil is one either.

Dave B
6th October 2009, 18:04
Suzuka is hardly low downforce track.
I was thinking more of the straights, when Button (with the same engine) simply couldn't live with the straightline speed of Sutil.

Stuartf12007
6th October 2009, 18:17
Kovaleinen is being lined up for a seat nxt year.

I see Force india becoming a strong midfield runner next year

harsha
6th October 2009, 18:44
I think FI will be a midfield runner...probably where the williams is right now

as it is,they are competing with the likes of williams for the points in the last few races

wedge
7th October 2009, 00:11
I was thinking more of the straights, when Button (with the same engine) simply couldn't live with the straightline speed of Sutil.

Because Sutil did a shorter first stint

Sonic
7th October 2009, 09:59
Kovaleinen is being lined up for a seat nxt year.

I see Force india becoming a strong midfield runner next year

Yup, Kovy could well find a berth at FI.

He might be able to rebuild his tattered reputation there.

I am evil Homer
7th October 2009, 10:09
Strong midfield is about Kovi's level IMO. He could do well working closely with a smaller team maybe aware from the glare of McLaren and Hamilton.

leopard
7th October 2009, 10:33
Force1 has concern to the race, but it wasn't enough to take them off to the higher place than currently they have achieved. They have great cars, but the drivers and their strategy don't seem to be able to make it in right use to deliver some result. No sufficient development taken effect to support their role on involvement in the sport. Their former driver Fisichella looks quite good with his ride, but they let him go elsewhere when everything begins in harmony.

Koz
7th October 2009, 12:36
I may have missed something, but what did FI get out of letting Fisi go to Ferrari?

Something to do with next year's engine deal perhaps? Money? Technical help? Anything at all?

jens
7th October 2009, 14:07
I may have missed something, but what did FI get out of letting Fisi go to Ferrari?

Something to do with next year's engine deal perhaps? Money? Technical help? Anything at all?

Compensation for the price of 2008 Ferrari engines, for which they arguably hadn't paid yet. :p :

harsha
7th October 2009, 14:07
Compensation for the price of 2008 Ferrari engines, for which they arguably hadn't paid yet. :p :

and it's a brilliant move too :p :

jens
9th October 2009, 19:02
Anyway, if I'm going to add my personal opinion, I think Force India has a good chance of cementing their status at least as a strong midfielder. Probably challenging for a win like at Spa was more like a one-off, but consistent points - why not? IMO the team is also benefitting from general degradation of the level of F1 teams. What do I mean with this? Brawn has lost Honda support and may start declining (already doing it gradually). BMW is leaving and the new owners may not have that good finances. Williams may opt for Cosworths. Toyota may leave and who knows about Renault. Etc. All in all those so-called privateers, who have a really rich owner (like Mateschitz's Red Bull and Mallya's Force India) could really benefit from the downfall of manufacturers and others - and they are already doing it.

Malbec
11th October 2009, 15:02
Anyway, if I'm going to add my personal opinion, I think Force India has a good chance of cementing their status at least as a strong midfielder. Probably challenging for a win like at Spa was more like a one-off, but consistent points - why not? IMO the team is also benefitting from general degradation of the level of F1 teams. What do I mean with this? Brawn has lost Honda support and may start declining (already doing it gradually). BMW is leaving and the new owners may not have that good finances. Williams may opt for Cosworths. Toyota may leave and who knows about Renault. Etc. All in all those so-called privateers, who have a really rich owner (like Mateschitz's Red Bull and Mallya's Force India) could really benefit from the downfall of manufacturers and others - and they are already doing it.

Where is Force India going to get the money from? Mallya is seeing his businesses in India take a significant hit and whilst a couple of years ago he had the cash to pay off the teams existing debts he's had financial problems since especially with Ferrari, which is why I suspect he let Fisichella go.

They've done a good job with the current car but do they have the resources to keep moving on upwards? I suspect not, especially next season once currently struggling bighitters like Renault and even McLaren and Ferrari address their weaknesses and are strong on all types of track as they used to be.

maximilian
11th October 2009, 16:22
what about for instance Heidfeld? If the car is good, someone, who is capable of scoring points on a consistent basis, could be useful.
They already had such a driver, except one who actually managed to WIN in the past... Fisichella. I would expect Heidfeld to do a very similar job.