PDA

View Full Version : Which driver would you like to see get BTCC title?

wedge
5th October 2009, 12:06
Matt Jackson - the boy is exceptional. One to watch ever since I saw him in the Cupra Cup.

UltimateDanGTR
5th October 2009, 16:50
agreed. Jackson looks like a fast guy, just not his weekend this one. hes one to watch for the future. Id like to see Plato win it again, and I reckon there is more championships in Turkington!

Next year, Id love Plato or Jackson to win it, but right now, I cant see anything indicating that Turks wont be just as brilliant next year!

VkmSpouge
5th October 2009, 18:24
I'd love to see Jason Hughes win the championship but on this plane of reality I think Mat Jackson and Adam Jones would make great champions.

Dave B
5th October 2009, 20:19
John George! :D

Really, I agree that Mat Jackson is a star of the future, as is Johnny Adam. I still believe that Plato has got another championship in him, his drive at Brands was proof of that.

Allyc85
5th October 2009, 21:27
Mat Jackson for me. The lads a class act, bloody fast with some brilliant car control, he gets that FWD Chevvy so sideways its great :D

Chris2k6
5th October 2009, 21:57
TOC, but i doubt he will get one, after that i'd probs say Jackson, i still want to see him back in a beemer though

LiamM
5th October 2009, 23:10
If RML/Silverline stick with the Lacetti (I've heard they could switch to the Cruze) they could be a force next year! There big problem this year was they was out of their depth a bit in the initial rounds. As soon as they got a handle on the Dunlops they were up there every round. Could be a good one for Plato/Jackson next year

wedge
6th October 2009, 00:10
Mat Jackson for me. The lads a class act, bloody fast with some brilliant car control, he gets that FWD Chevvy so sideways its great :D

YES!

That's why I was a fan of his in his Cupra days. The back-end would slide underbraking with as if he was racing motorbikes.

Knock-on
6th October 2009, 16:56
Owy. Pure and simple :D

Daz
9th October 2009, 20:13
Owy. Pure and simple :D

I'll second that and imagine the tears from him if he done it.

Les
9th October 2009, 22:15
i'll go with Owy - I'll bring the tissues (industrial size)

or TOC or Tom Chilton

tisme
9th October 2009, 22:20
Anyone in an RML Chevrolet will be the 2010 champ!

No one else will stand a chance.

As to who I would like to see Champion... Jonny Adam

Daz
9th October 2009, 23:26
i'll go with Owy - I'll bring the tissues (industrial size)

or TOC or Tom Chilton

Les, we agree on something and that must be a 1st

DazzlaF1
10th October 2009, 17:29
I'll second that and imagine the tears from him if he done it.

I'll third that

Anyone in a RML Chevy will win it i think although whoever ends up with the Vectra's left over from Vauxhall could be a force too as well as the BMW's.

Chris2k6
10th October 2009, 19:19
I'll third that

Anyone in a RML Chevy will win it i think although whoever ends up with the Vectra's left over from Vauxhall could be a force too as well as the BMW's.

you didn't really narrow it down there mate haha :D

Sarah
12th October 2009, 14:19
Jimmy T, Owy or Chilton.

wedge
12th October 2009, 14:33
Interesting that some people think Chilton deserves a championship. He looked less than spectacular at VXR

BDunnell
12th October 2009, 14:59
I still believe that Plato has got another championship in him, his drive at Brands was proof of that.

Absolutely. In fact, virtually his whole season bar a couple of incidents, especially that with Turkington at Rockingham, proved that.

But why are people still complaining about Chilton? He never gave up in 2009, even when the car was crap, and when it was on the pace he drove it very well.

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 15:11
Interesting that some people think Chilton deserves a championship. He looked less than spectacular at VXR

I can think of another young driver who looked less than spectacular at VXR. Colin someone.

UltimateDanGTR
12th October 2009, 17:30
I can think of another young driver who looked less than spectacular at VXR. Colin someone.

and look where he ended up..........

wedge
13th October 2009, 00:39
But why are people still complaining about Chilton? He never gave up in 2009, even when the car was crap, and when it was on the pace he drove it very well.

Outclassed by Gio at VXR

If TC can't beat him in a straight fight consistantly then I find it difficult to comprehend being a worthy champ.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 07:39
Outclassed by Gio at VXR

If TC can't beat him in a straight fight consistantly then I find it difficult to comprehend being a worthy champ.

Matt Neal has been outclassed by Gio at VXR and he is a double champion. All it proves is that Gio is top drawer and that if you're paired with him you're likely to come off worse.

Bezza
13th October 2009, 09:10

Ah yes, but Chilton hasn't looked particularly good anywhere else either if you ask me, apart from brief flashes of speed. And I think we all know that Chilton wouldn't be around at all if it wasn't for Dickie Dosh, there are plenty of better drivers out there without a drive.

Unfortunately with the BTCC, money talks, and with 3 races a day with one reversed there is too much luck involved. They should go back to 2 races, sprint and feature - it would be a lot more exciting. These days just when you get into a race it ends!

BDunnell
13th October 2009, 14:08
Outclassed by Gio at VXR

Most VXR drivers have been outclassed by Giovanardi, Turkington included, so I don't think the point holds.

AndyRAC
13th October 2009, 14:29
Ah yes, but Chilton hasn't looked particularly good anywhere else either if you ask me, apart from brief flashes of speed. And I think we all know that Chilton wouldn't be around at all if it wasn't for Dickie Dosh, there are plenty of better drivers out there without a drive.

Unfortunately with the BTCC, money talks, and with 3 races a day with one reversed there is too much luck involved. They should go back to 2 races, sprint and feature - it would be a lot more exciting. These days just when you get into a race it ends!

I agree about the 3 sprint races, I don't like them at all. After watching Bathurst at the weekend, the BTCC just looks completely inferior. They have Endurance races of 500k & 1000k - and their sprint races are are proper races in their own right. It would be nice if we had a 'stand-out' race like Bathurst. The BTCC is sports entertainment as opposed to Motor racing.

BDunnell
13th October 2009, 15:02
I agree about the 3 sprint races, I don't like them at all. After watching Bathurst at the weekend, the BTCC just looks completely inferior. They have Endurance races of 500k & 1000k - and their sprint races are are proper races in their own right. It would be nice if we had a 'stand-out' race like Bathurst. The BTCC is sports entertainment as opposed to Motor racing.

Personally, I have always found longer touring car events as dull as ditchwater, with the exception of Bathurst. The BTCC two-driver races tended to be boring (I can only recall one that wasn't, thanks to Stig Blomqvist losing a huge lead that Robb Gravett had built up), the 1996 Tourist Trophy was painfully tedious, and those long DTM races were too. Leaving Bathurst aside, I just don't feel that touring cars are suited to long races, because the expectations of the audience are different for this type of racing. This has always been the case and isn't just a modern thing. That said, the old sprint/feature race format did work well.

BeansBeansBeans
13th October 2009, 15:19
I think the current format is fine. The BTCC suits short, punchy races which leave the viewer wanting more.

UltimateDanGTR
13th October 2009, 18:09
I think the current format is fine. The BTCC suits short, punchy races which leave the viewer wanting more.

agreed. long races just isn't the way nowadays, especially with the BTCC. the DTMs for example-great cars, great noises, but totally outclassed racing wise by BTCC and WTCC. multiple short races=less time for drivers to catch leader or build a lead=more eagerness=more hard racing=more action=epic races. and lets face it, would you rather have 10 long boring races a year or 30 great ones? and i struggle to think of any races this year that have been dull. even race 1 at brands was epic at the end. action in 30/30 races IMO. which, less face it, is sweet. :s mokin:

BDunnell
13th October 2009, 19:12

Hence why BSCC/BTCC races have generally been of about 20-25 laps' duration at an average-length circuit for a very long time, except for the old two-driver races and the later feature races.

rwdvectra
13th October 2009, 23:32
andrew jordan for me and would love it to be in a vectra

wedge
14th October 2009, 00:37
Most VXR drivers have been outclassed by Giovanardi, Turkington included, so I don't think the point holds.

Moves to Team RAC, less money than VXR, consistently out drove the car, so much for Anthony Reid still he beats VXR triple-threat to the title.

Wonder will Chilton ever match that in the next few years?

wedge
14th October 2009, 00:52

Ah miss the old Bathurst/Super Touring days.

Looking back makes me wish the World Cups should've been enduros as well

The races feel too short but you get 3 races in a day whereas the old format of two races sometimes felt like they went on a bit too necessary but I'd happily go with the latter.

BeansBeansBeans
14th October 2009, 11:13
Moves to Team RAC, less money than VXR, consistently out drove the car, so much for Anthony Reid still he beats VXR triple-threat to the title.

Wonder will Chilton ever match that in the next few years?

Only time will tell whether Chilton will become Champion. The point I'm making is that a lacklustre season at VXR does not a bad driver make, as Colin Turkington has gone on to prove.

Eurotech
14th October 2009, 21:49
maybe we should have two sprint races each weekend and one longer race with a pitstop???

LiamM
14th October 2009, 22:54
Its been said by Alan Gow many a time the pit stops do nothing to a touring car race but add confusion.

Maybe a different format of races is needed, one I've thought of is two knockout 'heats' in which the times/positions are added together to produce a smaller grid of the fastest cars that weekend battling out for something like double points

Bezza
15th October 2009, 12:52
Just have two longer races would work for me. No reversed grids or anything like that. Allow tyre wear to be issue, drivers need to look after their tyres. Pitstops - I can take them or leave them. I don't agree that they add confusion, you must be really simple to not understand them! Seem to work OK in F1 !

If the BTCC is to ever get back to its best and be taken seriously, it needs to go back to 2 races.

Daniel
15th October 2009, 20:12
I agree with Bezza. If you're confused by pitstops then wtf?

wedge
16th October 2009, 14:07
I don't agree that they add confusion, you must be really simple to not understand them! Seem to work OK in F1 !

Errr because most people watch it on telly and its easier to follow that way

I agree with Bezza. If you're confused by pitstops then wtf?

I was at the Brands/DTM race a few years ago. Had no idea what was going on after 20mins and I could barely hear the PA commentary (forgot my radio). Doesn't help when the race came down to pit passing.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th October 2009, 17:27
I prefer touring car racing without pit stops. Drivers would also be less aggressive if they had more laps and a pit stop to pass drivers. I feel this would be a bad thing.

Daniel
16th October 2009, 17:35
Most people watching on TV will have seen F1 so should understand pit stops. Motorsport should pander to the ignorant masses just so they understand. If it does that then they alienate people who aren't thick.

Chris2k6
16th October 2009, 18:10
i don't see why people are discussing such things when in my opinion the btcc has just had it's best year of racing for a very long time! Since ST i would say and that aint going to happen again so i think they have done an awesome job!

wedge
16th October 2009, 23:54
Most people watching on TV will have seen F1 so should understand pit stops. Motorsport should pander to the ignorant masses just so they understand. If it does that then they alienate people who aren't thick.

IMSA implemented light indicators denoting the top 3 cars in class/overall for ALMS

ACO later adopted them for Le Mans

How many people do you see with radios attend races that have pit stops? Dunno about you but I'd say not many, as with people bothered about filling the scoreboard in the race programmes.

PDS
17th October 2009, 00:52
Now we have finished discussing the finer points of race formats, distances and pit stops... lets get back on topic guys....

Matt Jackson should have a fair crack of the whip for the title..

He just needs to get back into a BMW to do it!