PDA

View Full Version : Massa's recovery and expected return

Dave B
4th October 2009, 15:24
I know there's a thread (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134313) discussing Massa, but it's more about his accident and it would be nice to draw a line under that and concentrate instead on the far more positive story of his continued recovery and - hopefully - his return to F1.

The latest news is that after a successful few days' karting, Felipe is to test a 2007-spec Ferrari F1 car at Fiorano - much as Michael Schumacher did in his bid to get race fit.

Felipe Massa is set to return to the cockpit of a Formula 1 car in the coming weeks, with Ferrari confirming that he will test a two-year-old Ferrari F2007 at Fiorano in the near future.

Although Ferrari has yet to set a date for the test pending medical examinations, the Brazilian is making good progress after suffering head injuries during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix in July.

A decision on when he will be ready to test is expected this week.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79253

Great news, as was the story that he'll be present at the Brazillian GP :D

Saint Devote
4th October 2009, 18:52
I know there's a thread (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134313) discussing Massa, but it's more about his accident and it would be nice to draw a line under that and concentrate instead on the far more positive story of his continued recovery and - hopefully - his return to F1.

The latest news is that after a successful few days' karting, Felipe is to test a 2007-spec Ferrari F1 car at Fiorano - much as Michael Schumacher did in his bid to get race fit.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79253

Great news, as was the story that he'll be present at the Brazillian GP :D

As long as he is not allowed to test a 2009 car.

Robinho
4th October 2009, 19:12
which the story says he won't be, and why would he anyway - he's a current driver?!

2007 car on GP2 tyres - just enough to give him a workout

ioan
4th October 2009, 19:40
Good news. Hopefully he will wait until the test isn't dangerous for him at all, and hopefully the team will not pressure him into something when he's not yet fit enough to withstand the strains that come with driving a F1 car at full speed.

airshifter
4th October 2009, 23:19
I think Ferrari had to request permission for the test from other teams. They showed Peter Windsor one of the documents during the car walk before the race today. I'm assuming that would imply the current car being tested, and not the 2007, but I'm not sure.

I hope Felipe makes a complete recovery back to racing. As if the injury wasn't enough having a kid on the way could make it even harder. Thinking about the possibility of leaving a wife and child without the husband/father can weigh on a persons mind after such a freak accident.

I'd like to see him come back and humble Alonso at Ferrari.

Saint Devote
5th October 2009, 00:33
I think Ferrari had to request permission for the test from other teams. They showed Peter Windsor one of the documents during the car walk before the race today. I'm assuming that would imply the current car being tested, and not the 2007, but I'm not sure.

I hope Felipe makes a complete recovery back to racing. As if the injury wasn't enough having a kid on the way could make it even harder. Thinking about the possibility of leaving a wife and child without the husband/father can weigh on a persons mind after such a freak accident.

I'd like to see him come back and humble Alonso at Ferrari.

If he was concerned about the issues you refer to he would not be a racing driver.

Humble Alonso at Ferrari? ROFLMAO!!!!

Massa has had it easy with teammates at the Scuderia. Well school is out. Alonso is not his buddy Schumi and not Kimi, who does not give a damn about who his teammate is.

It will be Alonso and the Spaniard is a ruthless double champion who beat Schumacher and with no warm feelings towards any teammate.

If Massa is even imagined to be a threat, Alonso will wage a pyschological war on the Brazilian that could see the weak minded Felipe flee Ferrari in tears.

I recommend speaking to Lewis on what life is like with Alonso in the team.

woody2goody
5th October 2009, 01:34
If he was concerned about the issues you refer to he would not be a racing driver.

Massa has had it easy with teammates at the Scuderia. Well school is out. Alonso is not his buddy Schumi and not Kimi, who does not give a damn about who his teammate is.

It will be Alonso and the Spaniard is a ruthless double champion who beat Schumacher and with no warm feelings towards any teammate.

If Massa is even imagined to be a threat, Alonso will wage a pyschological war on the Brazilian that could see the weak minded Felipe flee Ferrari in tears.

Yes that makes great sense :rolleyes:

After all, Schumacher and Raikkonen are terrible drivers, and that's why Felipe has achieved 12 wins in 4 seasons or whatever it is.

What a daft thing to say. Massa can seriously worry Alonso next year, and from past experiences with Trulli, Fisichella and Hamilton, the Spaniard doesn't like it.

airshifter
5th October 2009, 03:00

Yes, and we value your opinion so much compared to others.

So how was that Jenson winning the WDC party? :laugh:

stevie_gerrard
5th October 2009, 15:21
There is a small chance of being back in the ferrari for Abu Dhabi, but quite frankly, i don't think it is worth the risk of putting him back in the car so soon after his accident. Will look forward to seeing him again next season :)

Roamy
5th October 2009, 16:03
Massa has always been very underated for some reason. Probably because he has had some terrible wet weather races. He is very fast

jimakos
5th October 2009, 17:33
Can't wait anymore to see Massa again in action!!
Especially now that Ferrari can't do something really good...

ioan
5th October 2009, 17:52
He's back to the Ferrari HQs and looking forward to do simulations and than drive the F2007.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79296

I just hope they do not rush into anything stupid.

jimakos
5th October 2009, 18:32
He's back to the Ferrari HQs and looking forward to do simulations and than drive the F2007.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79296

I just hope they do not rush into anything stupid.

Nice news!
Hope next year take the championship of 2008 that belongs to him for me ;)

Knock-on
6th October 2009, 11:34
It would be nice to see Massa back this year if it's sensible because Ferrari sure as hell need him.

However, I echo ioan's sentiments that only if he's 100% fit and not reckless to prove anything or feels compelled because of the teams position.

Garry Walker
6th October 2009, 12:22
Yes, and we value your opinion so much compared to others.

So how was that Jenson winning the WDC party? :laugh:

:rotflmao: :up:

Good news, but with brain injuries you should always be careful, no point in rushing him for Abu Dhabi.

BeansBeansBeans
6th October 2009, 12:37
Hope next year take the championship of 2008 that belongs to him for me ;)

Why on earth does he deserve victory in a contest that has yet to begin?

Sonic
6th October 2009, 12:43
Why on earth does he deserve victory in a contest that has yet to begin?

Didn't you know? The WDC is simply past around in a pass the parcel stylee. Everyone gets a turn ;)

BeansBeansBeans
6th October 2009, 12:46
Didn't you know? The WDC is simply past around in a pass the parcel stylee. Everyone gets a turn ;)

:p :

People are too mawkish and sentimental nowadays. Massa got hurt and I'm glad he's recovered, but the world title will only belong to him if he gets out on track and beats everyone. This isn't X-Factor.

ArrowsFA1
6th October 2009, 13:32
Felipe Massa says he is not ruling out returning to Formula 1 racing in the final grand prix of the season in Abu Dhabi.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79302

Dave B
6th October 2009, 13:39
I just hope that he doesn't do anything stupid. He's desperate to get back to racing, and I understand that, but I hope he doesn't let his heart rule his head.

BeansBeansBeans
6th October 2009, 13:47
I just hope that he doesn't do anything stupid. He's desperate to get back to racing, and I understand that, but I hope he doesn't let his heart rule his head.

If he isn't fit to race he won't be allowed to race. There is no need to worry.

I am evil Homer
6th October 2009, 13:57
Yep Sid Watkins and the FIA medical team can't be duped - if they think he's not up to it, he won't be allowed to race. I really want Felipe back in F1 but only when it's right for him to be there.

ioan
6th October 2009, 14:28
Yep Sid Watkins and the FIA medical team can't be duped - if they think he's not up to it, he won't be allowed to race.

Let's hope you are right.

I'm also worried about him testing the F2007 as that could also prove harmful and I doubt that he will need the FIA medical team to agree to a private test. :\

BeansBeansBeans
6th October 2009, 14:32
Let's hope you are right.

I'm also worried about him testing the F2007 as that could also prove harmful and I doubt that he will need the FIA medical team to agree to a private test. :\

Ferrari would not let Massa drive their car without due medical clearance. The owners of whatever track he conducts the test on (be it Fiorano or elsehwere) would not let him test on their circuit without due medical clearance. They're not stupid.

ioan
6th October 2009, 14:39
Ferrari would not let Massa drive their car without due medical clearance. The owners of whatever track he conducts the test on (be it Fiorano or elsehwere) would not let him test on their circuit without due medical clearance. They're not stupid.

I just hope they will test his fitness at the same level as he would be tested if he was to go on board the next NASA space shuttle.

Big Ben
8th October 2009, 09:59
Perhaps Domenicalli thinks of some promises made to a certain italian driver and doesn't see the sense in a pointless hasty return.

Steve2009
8th October 2009, 12:04
I think it important for Massa to get behind the wheel as soon as he has legit medical clearance.
He needs to get that first obstacle behind him.
Coming back to form in any sport after a serious injury is a large portion psychological!
There are several thresholds he has to break, so if he’s fit I say get on with it.
Just don’t get crazy with the G's, and by all means:
"Stay cool Felipe baby" :uhoh:

Hondo
8th October 2009, 12:55
After an injury like Massa had, weaknesses will remain that won't necessarily show up on any medical test. With or without a medical release, nobody wants the liability of Massa dying in their car or on their track, especially if the cause is high G forces and not a collision. In addition, Massa needs to be honest and admit things went blurry, black, or red just for a second going through that high speed corner if thats what happens.

christophulus
8th October 2009, 15:59
Felipe Massa will be the man in charge of waving the chequered flag at the Brazilian Grand Prix next month, organisers have said.

The Ferrari driver has been out of action since his accident at the Hungarian Grand Prix two months ago, and he will miss his home race as he continues with his recovery.

Massa will get a small consolation at the Interlagos race, however, and he will be waving the flag after Ferrari confirmed it had accepted the invitaion from the organisers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/79337

Not quite a racing return but a nice touch from the Brazil GP organisers :)

Steve2009
8th October 2009, 16:07
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/79337

Not quite a racing return but a nice touch from the Brazil GP organisers :) Maybe he could black flag a car or two! :dozey:

Dave B
8th October 2009, 17:49
Here too:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/08/felipe-massa-chequered-flag-brazilian-gp

That'll be good to see. I almost hope Barrichello wins now, just so it's a Brazillian waving a flag at another Brazillian, in Brazil.

I'm off to shave.

keysersoze
8th October 2009, 18:37
So if Massa returns in the finale, I wonder who will be piloting the other car. :cool:

Knock-on
9th October 2009, 13:38
So if Massa returns in the finale, I wonder who will be piloting the other car. :cool:

They wouldn't do that to Kimi would they? Can't see it. (I hope)

Steve2009
9th October 2009, 13:48
They wouldn't do that to Kimi would they? Can't see it. (I hope)LdM is an idiot.
But he's not a complete moron. Kimi collected valuable points at Suzuka.
Massa, and Kimi could be the goods to carry Ferrari into 3rd in the WCC.

ArrowsFA1
9th October 2009, 13:54
Felipe Massa says he is highly unlikely to race again this season, despite admitting that he had initially hoped to compete in the season closer in Abu Dhabi.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79343

Steve2009
9th October 2009, 22:35
Felipe Massa's vision has fully recovered after his Hungaroring accident, an examination in Paris has confirmed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79357

Saint Devote
10th October 2009, 01:04
Perhaps Domenicalli thinks of some promises made to a certain italian driver and doesn't see the sense in a pointless hasty return.

Without Raikkonen Ferrari have no probability of scoring points to beat Mclaren.

Nobody has a clue whether Massa has lost a few hundedths of a second and that would put him where the Ferrari slowcoach Fisichella currently resides on the grid.

And its anybody's guess what the effect on the Brazilian the physical movement of an f1 car will be.

Ferrari have taken a huge risk signing Massa without knowing this and ridding themselves of Raikkonen.

If Enzo Ferrari was running the team - he would have signed Alonso, siad "scuzi" to Massa and resigned Raikkonen.

Further, he would have had a third or even fourth driver in the second Ferrari by now.

Tolerating drivers that made Ferraris look bad in a grand prix was simply beyond his concept that to drive a Ferrari was an honor that had to be deserved by producing results.

Malbec
11th October 2009, 14:57
Nobody has a clue whether Massa has lost a few hundedths of a second and that would put him where the Ferrari slowcoach Fisichella currently resides on the grid.

And its anybody's guess what the effect on the Brazilian the physical movement of an f1 car will be.

Ferrari have taken a huge risk signing Massa without knowing this and ridding themselves of Raikkonen.

Its a calculated risk, after all Mika Hakkinen had a worse head injury yet his pace wasn't dented was it. If the objective neurological tests show no problems then chances are that there won't be a problem on track either.

You have to wonder how much Ferrari dislike Raikkonen despite their public statements of support that they have still decided to keep on Massa despite his injury.

Massa is still an excellent investment. He saw off Kimi and wasn't humiliated by Michael. Alonso may not like him but Massa has Ferrari support in a similar way Lewis had McLaren's. It should be an awesome pairing as long as Alonso has matured in his approach towards strong teammates. If not, things could turn nasty.

ioan
11th October 2009, 19:39
Let's hope he will have no physical or physiological problems tomorrow.

Sonic
11th October 2009, 19:54
Physical problems I doubt otherwise he wouldn't be getting in the car. As for where his heads at.....watch this space I guess.

Saint Devote
11th October 2009, 21:58
Its a calculated risk, after all Mika Hakkinen had a worse head injury yet his pace wasn't dented was it. If the objective neurological tests show no problems then chances are that there won't be a problem on track either.

You have to wonder how much Ferrari dislike Raikkonen despite their public statements of support that they have still decided to keep on Massa despite his injury.

Massa is still an excellent investment. He saw off Kimi and wasn't humiliated by Michael. Alonso may not like him but Massa has Ferrari support in a similar way Lewis had McLaren's. It should be an awesome pairing as long as Alonso has matured in his approach towards strong teammates. If not, things could turn nasty.

Ferrari have never fully supported Raikkonen - they always set things up with Massa first in mind.

Maybe they did not take kindly to the strong self-esteem of Kimi and preferred the weaker Massa type that "fits in" better.

But it was Raikkonen that won them the championship and the Finn that has won for them this year despite the F60.

Schumacher never pushed Massa and Raikkonen doesn't give a damn about any teammate. He races as Kimi and thats it.

Alonso will not tolerate anything from Massa and definitely not getting preferred attention from Ferrari will indeed detonate the Spaniard.

Perhaps Massa has been told this and understands exactly what Ferrari expects from him. Alonso will be the number 1 and Massa is the second driver and will act accordingly.

Of course nobody can be sure if Massa will still be the same driver.

ioan
11th October 2009, 22:33
Ferrari have never fully supported Raikkonen - they always set things up with Massa first in mind.

I guess we will have to take your opinion for granted over this aspect. Or maybe there is some proof to support it?

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 10:12
I guess we will have to take your opinion for granted over this aspect. Or maybe there is some proof to support it?

I see what you're saying ioan but you have to admit Ferrari are more geared around Massa.

The reasons IMHO are that Kimi doesn't integrate himself too much and prefers to just turn up and drive whereas Massa works with Schumy etc on the whole "team" thing.

ArrowsFA1
12th October 2009, 11:02
The reasons IMHO are that Kimi doesn't integrate himself too much and prefers to just turn up and drive whereas Massa works with Schumy etc on the whole "team" thing.
I also think that Kimi came into Ferrari as an "outsider". He wasn't a part of "Team Schumy" which had brought all that success to Ferrari in the previous decade. Massa is, very much, a part of that team.

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 11:57
Quite.

You only have to ask who Stella is and people look blank. However, mention Smedley and everyone knows that's Massa's engineer baby.

Kimi has suffered by not having the momentum within the team whereas Massa is Ferrari identified.

ioan
12th October 2009, 15:09
I see what you're saying ioan but you have to admit Ferrari are more geared around Massa.

His use of 'never' was clearly malicious, that's why I chose to ask him for some proof. :)

ArrowsFA1
12th October 2009, 15:16

His use of 'never' was clearly malicious, that's why I chose to ask him for some proof. :)
I don't think it was in any way "malicious". Saint Devote (I assume) was expressing an opinion; an opinion you clearly do not share, which is fair enough :s mokin:

Knock-on
12th October 2009, 16:08

Ahhh, but that is one of SD's little tactics. He said they have never fully supported Kimi. Not that they have never supported him or they haven't fully supported him but never fully supported. ;)

Argue it and he's got a bite :laugh:

BeansBeansBeans
12th October 2009, 16:16
Quite.

You only have to ask who Stella is and people look blank. However, mention Smedley and everyone knows that's Massa's engineer baby.

Kimi has suffered by not having the momentum within the team whereas Massa is Ferrari identified.

Massa's relationship with Smedley tends to remind me of the scene in This is Spinal Tap when Nigel has a tantrum over the small bread and Ian has to placate him.