PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Brands Hatch - Rounds 28, 29 & 30

VkmSpouge
3rd October 2009, 15:29
So it has come down to this. Three drivers with a shot at the title, Colin Turkington, Fabrizio Giovanardi and Jason Plato. The Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit should be good to have the final races of the season on. In practice Tom Chilton and Paul o'Neill looking very impressive and Matt Neal topped the first practice. I think it bodes well for 2010 that the Arena Ford has really come on well in the past few races.

jonv
3rd October 2009, 16:15
Chilton on pole according to the live timing!

VkmSpouge
3rd October 2009, 16:17
Qualifying:
1 Tom Chilton 1m33.159
2 Jason Plato 1m33.180
3 Fabrizio Giovanardi 1m33.183
4 Matt Neal 1m33.367
5 Andrew Jordan 1m33.415
6 Mat Jackson 1m33.618
7 Jonathan Adam 1m33.645
8 Rob Collard 1m33.731
9 Paul o'Neill 1m33.752
10 Colin Turkington 1m33.805
11 Stephen Jelley 1m33.855
12 Gordon Shedden 1m33.895
13 Johnny Herbert 1m34.445
14 Dave Pinkney 1m34.537
15 Harry Vaulkhard 1m34.594
16 Anthony Reid 1m34.813
17 Matt Hamilton 1m34.971
18 Martyn Bell 1m35.497
19 John George 1m36.346
20 Martin Johnson 1m36.868
21 Tom Onslow-Cole Time Disallowed

Well done to Tom Chilton and the whole Arena team! A great pole position, they have turned that car from hopeless to challenging at the front, can they get the Focus' maiden win tomorrow? Shame Tom Onslow-Cole did not have some good fortune, he failed the ride height check twice.
Team RAC woeful in qualifying. This was not the time for Colin Turkington to have a bad qualifying session especially when Jason Plato and Fabrizio Giovanardi have done what they needed to do and qualify at the front with their team mates handily placed to stop any progress by Turkington.

MattL
3rd October 2009, 16:42
Onslow-Cole's Focus failed the ride height test three times, so he could not rejoin the session.

Not at all where Turkington would be wanting to start from...

Robinho
3rd October 2009, 16:55
did not see that one coming, even if the Focus was getting better in recent rounds to be fastest round Brands GP circuit the car needs to handle fast and slow corners, have a good engine and cope with the elevation changes, so it must becoming a decent all rounder - bodes well for next year.

will be tricky for Turks to hold off Gio and Plato from there

Allyc85
3rd October 2009, 18:10
Amazing performance by Chilton though hes admitted hes concentrated on qualy pace so we will have to see how the car and tyres cope with a full race distance!

VkmSpouge
4th October 2009, 12:26
Race 1 Result:

1 Jason Plato
2 Tom Chilton
3 Fabrizio Giovanardi
4 Andrew Jordan
5 Matt Neal
6 Rob Collard
7 Jonathan Adam
8 Colin Turkington
9 Paul o'Neill
10 Anthony Reid
11 Harry Vaulkhard
12 Mat Jackson
13 Tom Onslow-Cole
14 Stephen Jelley
15 Dave Pinkney
16 John George
17 Martyn Belll
DNF Gordon Shedden
DNF Johnny Herbert
DNF Martin Johnson
DNF Matt Hamilton

Chilton blew it. Ugh! I so wanted him to take that victory, it was his to lose and he managed to do so on the last corner. Chilton had driven superbly up until those last two corners. Not to take anything away from Jason Plato's performance, the way he forced Chilton into that error was brilliant. Otherwise a pretty dull race and I hope something is done about Matt Neal punting Mat Jackson off the track.

Championship Standings:
1. Colin Turkington 252
2. Fabrizio Giovanardi 246
3. Jason Plato 238

Lunaboy
4th October 2009, 12:28
Plato you're the man!! Incredible!

Alfa Fan
4th October 2009, 12:30
Makes the championship very exciting. I think race 2 could be one of the best in the BTCC for a long time. Plato and Gio near the front. Turkington could be with RWD off the line, and Reid is in the mix too, a decent start would see him 7th/8th and right in with Matt Neal (and neutralising his role is pretty much Anthony's role). Fun times ahead I think!

VkmSpouge
4th October 2009, 12:35
Tom Chilton said he had a power steering failure at the second to last corner, so with that said I will retract what I said about him blowing it. Still a very good result for him.

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 13:00
Gutted for Chilton but what a finish to the race, dont think ive seen one that close for ages!

UltimateDanGTR
4th October 2009, 13:35
superb end to a more mundane race, amazingly BTCC isnt epic ALL the time-but we had a superb end to compensate! well done the Plate, brilliant pressure driving, i was sad for chilton but im a Plato fan, so it was great to see!

so, going into race 29 of 30, top 3 standings are:

1st. Turks 252
2nd. Gio 246
3rd. Plate 238

interesting, 14 points the gap. If something goes wrong for gio or turks, and plato wins, we are gonna have one hell-of-a final race! even if something doesnt go wrong for gio or turks though, we're gonna have an epic encounter anyways! I just hope Plato can really muscle his way in and stand an equal chance, he still is the outsider but is alot closer, goodness, I can't wait!

Lunaboy
4th October 2009, 15:00
Tom Chilton said he had a power steering failure at the second to last corner, so with that said I will retract what I said about him blowing it. Still a very good result for him.

Again steering problems or just too slow? ;)

VkmSpouge
4th October 2009, 15:04
Race 2 Result:

1 Jason Plato
2 Fabrizio Giovanardi
3 Colin Turkington
4 Rob Collard
5 Jonathan Adam
6 Tom Chilton
7 Paul o'Neill
8 Matt Neal
9 Tom Onslow-Cole
10 Gordon Shedden
11 Stephen Jelley
12 Mat Jackson
13 Harry Vaulkhard
14 Dave Pinkney
15 John George
16 Andrew Jordan
DNF Johnny Herbert
DNF Anthony Reid
DNF Martyn Bell
DNF Matt Hamilton
DNS Martin Johnson

Jason Plato taking another good victory. Tom Chilton leading for the majority of the race but with the success ballast it was almost inevitable that Plato would get by. Colin Turkington had a good race picking off drivers in front of him and limiting the damage.

Championship Standings:
1. Colin Turkington 262
2. Fabrizio Giovanardi 258
3. Jason Plato 254

This is perfectly poised, Turkington 4 points ahead of Giovanardi who in turn is 4 points ahead of Plato. The 2009 finale is going to something else.

EDIT: Alan Gow draws Matt Neal on pole position.
Top of Race 3 Grid:
1. Matt Neal
2. Paul o'Neill
3. Tom Chilton
4. Jonathan Adam
5. Rob Collard
6. Colin Turkington
7. Fabrizio Giovanardi
8. Jason Plato

Lunaboy
4th October 2009, 15:07
In wich position does Turkington have to finish after Giovanardi for winning the championship?

Edit: So he's in front now for the grid, so how far can he let Turkington go?

VkmSpouge
4th October 2009, 15:17
In wich position does Turkington have to finish after Giovanardi for winning the championship?

There are a lot of possible outcomes. Giovanardi winning and Turkington in second would be enough for Giovanardi because he would gain those four points on Turkington, have the same number of race wins but Giovanardi has more second place finishes. The bonus point for fastest lap could prove crucial (as it did in 2004). Providing Giovanardi does not win then Turkington would do well just to finish directly behind him. Plato just has to go for it and through caution to the wind.

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 15:36
What a great race! Really close, full of tension and when ti did kick off it stayed clean, love it!

Shame for Chilton but you did kind of feel it was going to happen. But considering their speed at the start of the season they have turned it around brilliantly and it looks good for next year.

Going to have everything crossed for Turkington now as his measured performance in race 2 showed just why he deserves to be this years champion.

UltimateDanGTR
4th October 2009, 15:47
plato is gonna have to get by turks and gio pretty quick, and then try and go for the win by picking off other drivers, because you feel gio and turks will also progress. but getting past these two isnt gonna be easy, plato is gonna have to use some force to stand a chance! but the race sets to be epic, the culmination of so much for both camps, this boys, is it...............

WSRfan82
4th October 2009, 16:56
here we go guys....

Christ im excited.

come on turks you can do it...COME ON TURKINGTON ALL THE WAY!!

Alfa Fan
4th October 2009, 17:00
This is the most excited I've felt about a BTCC race in ages.

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 17:02
Agreed, I cant wait for this :D

Alfa Fan
4th October 2009, 17:18
Cars all over the place going out onto the GP loop!

Captain VXR
4th October 2009, 17:45
Congratulations colin

VkmSpouge
4th October 2009, 17:49
Race 3 Result:

1 Jason Plato
2 Colin Turkington
3 Tom Chilton
4 Fabrizio Giovanardi
5 Matt Neal
6 Stephen Jelley
7 Anthony Reid
8 Jonathan Adam
9 Gordon Shedden
10 Dave Pinkney
11 Mat Jackson
12 Tom Onslow-Cole
13 Matt Hamilton
14 Johnny Herbert
DNF Paul o'Neill
DNF Harry Vaulkhard
DNF Martyn Bell
DNF Rob Collard
DNF John George
DNF Andrew Jordan
DNS Martin Johnson

What a race! I swear my heart was in my mouth so much I'm going to hospital to have surgery to move it back into my chest.
So much to talk about where to start? Crazy start, Airwaves BMWs disappearing off track, Arena Fords shooting upwards, Giovanardi and Turkington going forward. The tussle between Turkington-Chilton-Giovanardi was great and then Colin's move to take the lead from Neal was risky and so nearly cost him the championship. Plato coming through to take the lead, the first person to win three races in a weekend since Dan Eaves in 2005! Turkington holding onto win the title. Breath taking :D

I'm going for a lie down.

Dave B
4th October 2009, 17:56
That was some amazing racing! Congratulations to JP for 3 hard-fought wins, he really couldn't have done any more; but a champion's drive from Colin.

WSRfan82
4th October 2009, 17:58
yes congrats colin :-)

Robinho
4th October 2009, 18:13
amazing, so glad for Colin and all his family, they looked so overwhelmed, he couldn't have deserved it more, great driving today to fend off the feisty Giovanardi and Plato. Niice words from Gio at the end also, very gracious

UltimateDanGTR
4th October 2009, 18:31
What a race! I swear my heart was in my mouth so much I'm going to hospital to have surgery to move it back into my chest.
So much to talk about where to start? Crazy start, Airwaves BMWs disappearing off track, Arena Fords shooting upwards, Giovanardi and Turkington going forward. The tussle between Turkington-Chilton-Giovanardi was great and then Colin's move to take the lead from Neal was risky and so nearly cost him the championship. Plato coming through to take the lead, the first person to win three races in a weekend since Dan Eaves in 2005! Turkington holding onto win the title. Breath taking :D

I'm going for a lie down.

agreed! :D

brilliant racing, the BTCC at its best! I was chearing on the Plate, he couldnt do any more than what he did with 3 wins so well done him, but Turks is deserved champion. 8 years of hard work have led up to this, well done all at Team RAC!

superb, superb, superb, superb, superb, superb, superb, superb, superb BTCC!

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 19:05
Brilliant race, my heart was pounding from the very start, you just didnt know what was going to happen next!

Was very dissapointed with Neal playing team games from the very start, bunching up half the field was pretty dangerous IMO and could have caused a big shunt! Still it didnt and it back fired on VX for Colin to come through and take the title :D

Also got to say a massive well done to all who have worked on the Arena Focus this season. I dont think ive ever seen a car so slow at the start of a BTCC season and come through to be fighting at the very front!

Roll on 2010!

Sarah
4th October 2009, 19:09
Good to see the Focus doing so well again. Fantastic drive under pressure from Colin in the 3rd race. Well done to JP on his wins. A great end to an excellent season.

WSRfan82
4th October 2009, 19:34
WOW!!! what a final race. Very disappointed in VXR's tactics with neal backing up the drivers but neal as always sticking his head in and coming out worst they got what they deserved and lost the drivers title...and more pleasing plato finishing 2nd

i was shouting at my Tv calling neal words i cant repeat on here and popped the bubbly when Turkington crossed the line

fantastic finish to a fantastic season...all i ask for now is button to be crowned f1 champion and ill be grinning like a Cheshire cat...being even more proud to be a brit :D

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 19:37
fantastic finish to a fantastic season...all i ask for now is button to be crowned f1 champion and ill be grinning like a Cheshire cat...being even more proud to be a brit :D

Oh yes, that would top it off very nicely :D

Wasted Talent
4th October 2009, 19:45
Delighted for Colin - brilliant victory, also Plato was mighty impressive.

Even more delighted that VXRs disgusting tactics didn't work - caused a lot of damage to Collards car, and could have been even worse. As least Giovanardi was good enough to look embarassed when asked about the tactics after Race 3....

Neal really is a dirty racer and has no place in the BTCC, and should have a three meeting ban for punting Jackson off in Race 1, as VkmSpouge says it was a deliberate act.

WT

Chrisbmay72
4th October 2009, 20:23
I agree with Wasted Talent.

Now that VXR are gone perhaps Matt Neal could find a career in Banger racing. Looking at his racing today, he would fit in very well.

MG2004
4th October 2009, 20:34
Just got back from Brands and what was the most exciting day's racing I've ever seen - the BTCC package really is fantastic value for money :) ))

I am delighted for Colin, the best man won in the end, but boy did it have it's ups and downs today !

I've never been a fan of Plato or Chilton but I was mighty impressed by both of them today. Really gutted for Tom that he didn't manage to hold on for the win in race 1, but boy, what a close finish to race 1 and it set us up for Plato having a realistic chance going into race 2 and 3!

Only trouble now is I'm so hyper after today's races and now have to wait until March for the fun to start again!

BTCC Fan#1
4th October 2009, 20:57
Just back from an absolutely fantastic days racing at Brands. I think it was the most entertaining series finale we've had in a long, long time. From Plato's incredible victory in Race 1, through to the whole crowd on tenterhooks in Race 3, the BTCC proved it deserves to be the top championship in the country yet again. A huge congratulations to Jason, Colin, and Tom Chilton. All real stars today. Commiserations to Fabrizio Giovanardia, he was obviously driving the wheels off that Vauxhall in the 3rd Race, but just wasn't quite enough.

And a serious black-mark to Matt Neal for some pretty abysmal driving all day.. The Paddock Grandstand rightly cheered when Turkington saw him off at Druids!

christophulus
4th October 2009, 21:04
Brilliant third race, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And the right man won :up:

I've had enough of Matt Neal though, how he hasn't been banned before now is completely beyond me. I hope he doesn't return next year, and good riddance to Vauxhall/VXR if that's how you're going to behave :down:

Chris2k6
4th October 2009, 21:58
Just got back from Brands and what was the most exciting day's racing I've ever seen - the BTCC package really is fantastic value for money :) ))

They were exactly my thoughts driving home tonight (traffic was a nightmare!!!)
But wow!!! by far the best days racing ive seen! Heart in your mouth stuff most the way. And it was great sitting in the grandstand just over from the pits and hearing Team RAC cheer everytime Turko passed someone, man they had that place packed out lol
Amazing drive by Plato and when he drove around the outside at the first corner on the last race, well it just looked supreme from where i was sitting
Chilton! OMG i couldn't belive it when he lost it right at the end, but he proved his worth today and i can't wait to see him next season after a season of hard work

To sum it up, what an amazing season! Driver of the year has to be Turkington. Team of the season has to be Team AON. And drive of the day has to be Plato today! All this action 4 just a smidgin over £20! BARGAIN!

Brown, Jon Brow
5th October 2009, 12:15
What a tremendous last day of racing. In my view it was more tense than the 2004 finale. I'm also really happy that Turkington won.

lilmelvschilton
5th October 2009, 13:59
Chilton on pole according to the live timing!

wooooop really made up for Tom :D

UltimateDanGTR
5th October 2009, 16:47
They were exactly my thoughts driving home tonight (traffic was a nightmare!!!)

All this action 4 just a smidgin over £20! BARGAIN!

Firstly, you should've done some Matt Neal style bashing out of the way to deal woth the traffic!

and on the value for money point, superb for what you get. under 1/5 of the price of an F1 ticket, and about 50 times better racing! :D gotta love BTCC, big fan base but not exactly rip off is it!

Also to people who went to Brands, when Plato passed Turks at Paddock Hil, was that massive cheering from the fans I heard? certainly sounded like it, that made me wish i was there!

Chris2k6
5th October 2009, 21:49
and on the value for money point, superb for what you get. under 1/5 of the price of an F1 ticket, and about 50 times better racing! :D gotta love BTCC, big fan base but not exactly rip off is it!

yeah, i've always said i've wanted to go to an F1 weekend, but thats for the experience more then the racing. BTCC is the perfect oppetrunity to go watch quality action packed racing and a weekend away with the lads in which we can all afford :D

WSRfan82
5th October 2009, 23:55
deer i say it....Turkington for sports personalty of the year?

Dave B
6th October 2009, 10:02
No chance. Out there in the big wide world the BTCC is very much a minority sport. If Jenson wins the F1 Championship he'll suck up all the motorsport votes anyway. Sad to say, but Colin will be lucky if SPOTY even includes a 30-second VT about his achievements.

UltimateDanGTR
6th October 2009, 16:23
No chance. Out there in the big wide world the BTCC is very much a minority sport. If Jenson wins the F1 Championship he'll suck up all the motorsport votes anyway. Sad to say, but Colin will be lucky if SPOTY even includes a 30-second VT about his achievements.

agreed. we just need to let the beeb know about Turks, and how good he has been!

MG2004
6th October 2009, 19:48
I still can't believe how close the finish was in race 1 and that Tom was so unlucky after leading the whole race. Can't imagine the emotions in that car!!

I managed to get a nice photo showing how close they were
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_ward/3987677524/sizes/l/in/set-72157622404768583/

Actually Tom was outdragging the Chevvy and was closer by the line!

Can't wait for 2010...