PDA

View Full Version : The future of Kovalainen?

jens
1st October 2009, 10:39
Now... let's talk about this poor lad as well. Will he stay in F1? What are his outlooks? How could his career be summed up thus far?

It is often said that "he is fast in qualifying and slow in the race", which based on his McLaren period seems true. But... in a way it's not really a conclusive answer for me, because if I recall his 2007 Renault season, I can't really remember Heikki ever dropping backwards in races. He raced more or less as well as he qualified. So what has happened in McLaren and how has he become a completely different driver? Different car characteristics? Obviously preferential treatment can't be a conclusive answer, because in a "so-so" car one wouldn't be able to be so fast over a single lap. Does he have some strange setups, which are biased towards shorter stints?

But clearly McLaren period has been a major disappointment. I remember Fisichella got heavily criticized for getting trashed by Alonso, but Heikki's performances compared to his team-mate are even way worse than that. Based on that Renault experience it looks like maybe he could be a decent driver, but based on McLaren experience I can understand, why various F1 teams don't seem to trust him too much in considering their future line-ups.

So what will happen?

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:41
If he is lucky, he will return in Renault, if not, he will find a place in a new team. But Heikki+Kubica sounds like an OK Renault F1 team.

Knock-on
1st October 2009, 10:50
DTM?

F1boat
1st October 2009, 10:50
DTM?

How rude!

jens
1st October 2009, 10:58
DTM?

Outside F1 sounds like the most feasible option really. And Mercedes can nicely send him into one of their AMG's there.

Knock-on
1st October 2009, 11:09
How rude!

:laugh:

I really don't know about poor Kovy. He has just come up against possibly the strongest driver out there and been thrashed.

I really like the lad and wish him well but he has been in 2 top teams against the 2 best drivers and been found wanting. He's not fast enough to be a number 1 and not consistant enough as a number 2.

What options in F1 are there.

F1boat
1st October 2009, 11:11
Outside F1 sounds like the most feasible option really. And Mercedes can nicely send him into one of their AMG's there.

I guess that it can be worse... IRL or Superleague...

V12
1st October 2009, 11:46
Assuming Toyota stay, would they be an option? As it's likely at least one of Trulli or Glock will be leaving? (pure speculation on my part BTW)

Storm
1st October 2009, 11:58
He has frankly done nothing in his 2 years at McLaren compared to his team-mate so does not deserve that seat IMO. Where he ends up I don't know.

DexDexter
1st October 2009, 12:08
:laugh:

I really don't know about poor Kovy. He has just come up against possibly the strongest driver out there and been thrashed.

I really like the lad and wish him well but he has been in 2 top teams against the 2 best drivers and been found wanting. He's not fast enough to be a number 1 and not consistant enough as a number 2.

What options in F1 are there.

Yep, Hamilton is the worst teammate one could have but still, it appears that he is racing worse in a competitive Mclaren than uncompetitive Renault as Jens said. I know he cannot drive the car using his own driving style since it will for some reason destroy the tires. He's tried to adapt his driving style and IMO he is simply lost because of that. He needs a different environment, perhaps a car with different characteristics. Let's remember that he beat Fisi in his rookie season at Renault.

I am evil Homer
1st October 2009, 13:20
Midfield team, which is about his level. I like Heikki but he's just not a top-order driver as last year proved. This year I think has been more about Hamilton showing his class in a car that's pretty poor and that's reflected on Heikki but I think many drivers would have struggled in this years Mac. It's just that Lewis is an exceptional talent.

Sadly I think overall when you look at Heikki's career to date it's been a frustrating glimpse of obvious speed/talent but a lack of pace come race day. Why that is who knows but you can't expect to be in a top team if the results don't come.

Knock-on
1st October 2009, 13:45
Yep, Hamilton is the worst teammate one could have but still, it appears that he is racing worse in a competitive Mclaren than uncompetitive Renault as Jens said. I know he cannot drive the car using his own driving style since it will for some reason destroy the tires. He's tried to adapt his driving style and IMO he is simply lost because of that. He needs a different environment, perhaps a car with different characteristics. Let's remember that he beat Fisi in his rookie season at Renault.

It is a curse being team mates with Lewis although not because of favouritism etc but because he is so bloody quick and dogged. He will push and push far beyond the limits for the fun of it and that must be very demoralising for a team mate. To know you cant live with that.

Of all the drivers on the grid, I think there is only 1 that has the pace to challenge and can live with the competitivness and that is Kimi. Of all the others, the only one that can live with him is Fred and they are 2 peas in a pod. It just wouldn't work no matter how much I would like to see it.

christophulus
1st October 2009, 13:54
He could yet stay at McLaren.. Kimi has been making suggestions that he may jump across to the WRC. On his performances though I don't think he deserves to keep the seat.

I think Toyota might be a possible destination - but if they aren't keeping Glock I don't see why they would take on Kovalainen, he's not much better (if at all).

Or he could head to one of the new teams? There are four or five new entries next year, maybe one of them will give him another chance.

I am evil Homer
1st October 2009, 16:26
No seats in WRC....he would have to go to IRC or S2000 cup running within the WRC, which seems like a massive step down. If McLaren can build a better car and want to challenge for the constructors they need two top drivers and today they only have one.

Garry Walker
3rd October 2009, 16:49
Food stamps.

slinkster
3rd October 2009, 16:51
I'd like to think another team could give him a chance... but if he still gets nowhere next year I think his f1 days could be numbered. I think it's down to confidence and agression with Heikki... he doesn't seem to have the right amount of either. He's a lovely guy though and I wish he'd show some of the determination he's showed in the lower formulas.

stevie_gerrard
5th October 2009, 15:16
I think one of the smaller teams will give him a chance because of his experience, but he hasn;t impressed for me enough to warrant a drive with a "bigger" team as such. He has had a pretty poor season due to his poor race performances. Had he turned his talent in qualifying into pure race pace, he may have had a chance of staying at Mclaren next season.

Roamy
5th October 2009, 16:25
If he is lucky, he will return in Renault, if not, he will find a place in a new team. But Heikki+Kubica sounds like an OK Renault F1 team.

yes if you are trying to emulate Toyota

veeten
5th October 2009, 17:47
Food stamps.

"Will race for..." :p

woody2goody
5th October 2009, 22:03
He isn't performing well enough to stay at McLaren IMO, especially if Raikkonen's in the frame. Taking Kimi over Heikki would be a no brainer.

Regardless, we have to remember that he was a Grand Prix winner in just his second season.

It's a shame that he hasn't been closer to Hamilton, but I think it's time that he moved on and started again in a new (or perhaps old) team.

Sonic
5th October 2009, 22:23
Getting Kimi is a no brainer, but the man himself has hardly sounded excited at the prospect of rejoining his old team (well as excited as he ever gets anyway).

Kovy is clearly never going to trouble Ham, but in a first class car he can be the support act - kind of a Berger to Lewis's Senna.

the lack of alternate may keep Kovy in his seat.

ShiftingGears
6th October 2009, 02:06
Getting Kimi is a no brainer, but the man himself has hardly sounded excited at the prospect of rejoining his old team (well as excited as he ever gets anyway).

Kovy is clearly never going to trouble Ham, but in a first class car he can be the support act - kind of a Berger to Lewis's Senna.

the lack of alternate may keep Kovy in his seat.

The difference is that Berger was a solid number two and Kovalainen is just abysmal.

jens
6th October 2009, 14:33
When people are comparing Heikki to past drivers here already, then actually I'm struggling to recall a driver underperforming as much as HK does in a top team since Michael Andretti...