PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans 24 race games/sims?

downtowndeco
28th September 2009, 17:37
I'm really into this race & am looking for the best 24 hour version of this race, any platform. I'd like a day/night sequence, weather & a decent sized grid. I have the old PS2 Le Mans 24 & it is pretty good but dated. I have GT4 but after almost 300 days I still cannot do more than a 2 lap race, which is a waste of my time.

Any advise on where to look for another version of this race?

steve_spackman
28th September 2009, 18:08
My advice would be stop looking mate. No chance of finding another Le Mans 24hr game.

downtowndeco
28th September 2009, 18:19
My advice would be stop looking mate. No chance of finding another Le Mans 24hr game.

Well, you're honest anyway! : )

pettersolberg29
28th September 2009, 22:00
Racedriver:GRID has the Le Mans 24 on it. The game has everything you asked for, is fun, but is unrealistic in the physics department.

Bruce D
29th September 2009, 06:37
Your absolute best place is GTR2. Then get yourself the SCC Prototype mod at http://perfectdarkfr.free.fr/download.html and then get the Le Mans track (modern version with chicanes is the only one available I think at the moment) at either http://www.nogripracing.com or esport-racing.de or gtr4u.de and then play that.

With GTR2 and these mods you run the current cars and cars from the past (the mod is from 1998 to 2008). I've personally set up a grid from 2003, plus not only can you run the Prototypes but you can get the GT cars as well, meaning you need to deal with traffic with much slower cars.

GTR2 as has real-time daylight/night cycles so the sun gradually sets - believe me, running into the setting sun while racing towards Porsche curves is quite daunting! Plus you get a genuine 24 hours (sunrise, sunset, etc), the weather can change (there are tools to set the weather properly) if you want it to, you have a AI teammate if you want so you can get some rest while the AI deals with the racing, plus you can save the game at any time. You also have tyre wear and different fuel loads to deal with, do you change tyres at the pitstop or not, things like that. Physics are probably the closest you'll ever get, you really do get tired racing these prototypes around.

For me its the best and closest to the real thing you can get right now.

lugnut_usa
29th September 2009, 12:03
You can do the same in rFactor as well; been a while since I've poked around to see what mods are available now though.

Driving that track at night is frightening, even if it IS just on a computer screen.

Bruce D
29th September 2009, 14:33
You can do the same in rFactor as well; been a while since I've poked around to see what mods are available now though.

Driving that track at night is frightening, even if it IS just on a computer screen.

Yeah that place is very quick, you actually only really understand how fast Le Mans is when you've raced it.

I would think that GTR2 is better than rFactor in this regard purely because its designed with endurance racing in mind.

steve_spackman
29th September 2009, 20:47
Your absolute best place is GTR2. Then get yourself the SCC Prototype mod at http://perfectdarkfr.free.fr/download.html and then get the Le Mans track (modern version with chicanes is the only one available I think at the moment) at either www.nogripracing.com (http://www.nogripracing.com) or esport-racing.de or gtr4u.de and then play that.

With GTR2 and these mods you run the current cars and cars from the past (the mod is from 1998 to 2008). I've personally set up a grid from 2003, plus not only can you run the Prototypes but you can get the GT cars as well, meaning you need to deal with traffic with much slower cars.

GTR2 as has real-time daylight/night cycles so the sun gradually sets - believe me, running into the setting sun while racing towards Porsche curves is quite daunting! Plus you get a genuine 24 hours (sunrise, sunset, etc), the weather can change (there are tools to set the weather properly) if you want it to, you have a AI teammate if you want so you can get some rest while the AI deals with the racing, plus you can save the game at any time. You also have tyre wear and different fuel loads to deal with, do you change tyres at the pitstop or not, things like that. Physics are probably the closest you'll ever get, you really do get tired racing these prototypes around.

For me its the best and closest to the real thing you can get right now.

Well i have been corrected then. I didnt know that GTR2 did the actual 24hr race..

thanks for the info..i will have to check that out.

Bruce D
30th September 2009, 06:29
Yeah it can do anything. All you need to do if the track doesn't do 24 hours already is open the .gdb file of the track with notepad, find the line saying "racetime=" and change the figure to however many minutes you want the race to last, so if its 24 hours thats 1440 minutes. ;)

Its actually amazing what you can edit on GTR2 just by using notepad, only on Race did they use stupid coding that prevents you editing stuff.