PDA

View Full Version : Two "one-man" teams in 2009

jens
27th September 2009, 17:55
The sound of the title of the thread might be misleading, because this has nothing to do with preferential treatment.

Two teams are on course to repeating the 1999 Williams scenario of one driver scoring all team's points in a season. And these teams are no backmarkers, but solid midfielders like Williams and Renault, scoring a notable amount of points.

How many other similar cases can be recalled?(I mean cases, where #1 driver scored quite a fair amount of points, not like a backmarker team with one driver getting merely a couple of points with the other one(s) ending up on zero) It almost happened with BAR 2005. :p : Similar cases can be found in Ligier 1981 and Lotus 1972 as well, although they were clearly above average and more or less top teams.

N. Jones
27th September 2009, 19:38
Didn't that happen with McLaren in 2001? I think I am wrong but didn't Coultard finish with 65 points and Hakkinen finished with something like 13?

jens
27th September 2009, 19:40
Didn't that happen with McLaren in 2001? I think I am wrong but didn't Coultard finish with 65 points and Hakkinen finished with something like 13?

Well, Häkkinen ended with 37 points, so not that bad. :) Somewhere after the French GP the gap was quite huge with DC though - 9 vs 47.

VkmSpouge
27th September 2009, 19:46
Well in 1992 Ferrari had rely almost entirely on Jean Alesi to score points, he got 18, Ivan Capelli managed just 3. Also in 1992 Tyrrell and Footwork (both decent midfield teams) were solely dependant on Andrea de Cesaris and Michele Alboreto to pick up points as Olivier Grouillard and Aguri Suzuki didn't score anything.

UltimateDanGTR
27th September 2009, 20:17
in 93 Senna scored 73, compared to Michael Andretti's mear 7. and up until portugal that year, it was 3. So Andretti scored points, but i cant remember as-big-of-a points difference between two team mates ever in F1. it was virutally a 1 car team mclaren had that year.

N. Jones
28th September 2009, 00:30
Well, Häkkinen ended with 37 points, so not that bad. :) Somewhere after the French GP the gap was quite huge with DC though - 9 vs 47.

Yeah, I remember reading an article that Hakkinen looked "disinterested" during the 2001 season...