PDA

View Full Version : !6 year old girl wants to sail solo around the world

Valve Bounce
26th September 2009, 14:13
Jessica Watson intends to sail solo around the world. This despite a serious collision on her way from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney where she will start her Solo Journey. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26127059-2,00.html?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

I consider her parents to be extremely irresponsible, as the girl obviously doesn't have sufficient yachting experience for such a challenge. I just cannot imagine her trying to sail round Cape Horn - I don't think she fully realises the treacherous conditions of such a trip.

Before you reply to this, please read the link first. Thanks.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 14:33
There was a similar story not so long ago about a young woman (14 I think) who wanted to do much the same thing. The difference was she was experienced and had sailed the Atlantic; whereas this 16 year old seems to not have a clue whats she's doing. I hope she follows the advice to back out and learn more before following her dream.

gloomyDAY
26th September 2009, 14:40
Next headline: 16 year-old Jessica dies while sailing.

This is extraordinarily stupid. She can't even chart correct way points.
I have 0 experience in sailing but surfing has taught me to respect the ocean.

Lousada
26th September 2009, 15:20
In The Netherlands there is currently a 13-year old girl that wants to attempt a solo-trip around the world. The Authorities brought this to court, because in NL you need to stay in school until you are 16. Of course the girl lost, so she attempted to relocate to New-Zealand (she has multiple passports). This was also refused because of pending investigations about the fathers parentship.

The mother is against this trip, but the father is very pushy to let her go. They are divorced by the way.

The girl already sailed solo from NL to UK. On arriving in the UK she got locked up, because over there they do not allow children so young on the sea. The father refused to get her because "she got their solo, she can come back solo"... He only came over after it was made clear she would be taken away from him if he left her.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 15:30
In The Netherlands there is currently a 13-year old girl that wants to attempt a solo-trip around the world. The Authorities brought this to court, because in NL you need to stay in school until you are 16. Of course the girl lost, so she attempted to relocate to New-Zealand (she has multiple passports). This was also refused because of pending investigations about the fathers parentship.

The mother is against this trip, but the father is very pushy to let her go. They are divorced by the way.

The girl already sailed solo from NL to UK. On arriving in the UK she got locked up, because over there they do not allow children so young on the sea. The father refused to get her because "she got their solo, she can come back solo"... He only came over after it was made clear she would be taken away from him if he left her.

Thats the story I was remembering.

steve_spackman
26th September 2009, 15:46
May not be a wise thing to do, but hey..atleast she has the balls to do it

Sonic
26th September 2009, 16:03
May not be a wise thing to do, but hey..atleast she has the balls to do it

Want to rephrase?? ;)

harsha
26th September 2009, 16:49
there's no fun telling i told you so to the families in this

Wade91
26th September 2009, 17:47
a few weeks a teenage boy (he was 17 i think) sailed arived in calaforna after sailing around the world, it was a struggle for him and he was even chased by pirates, but he made it back,

so if this girl wants to do this, then why not?

today is my 18th birthday so i guess i'm more than old enough to sail around the world, but i personally dont want to, becouse i guess theres probalby alot of places on the sea where i couldn't get internet access :s

harsha
26th September 2009, 17:59
because Wade...you've got to know what you want..and judging by the link,I doubt the girl knows what she is up against

Valve Bounce
27th September 2009, 03:45
This article is even more worrying: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26128605-3102,00.html

In particular: Brisbane round-the-world sailor Mark Carlile, who sailed solo from Britain to Brisbane in 2006-07, said yesterday the hand-written checklist revealed Jessica was too inexperienced to do the trip.

He had been sailing more than 25 years and logged 35,000kms at sea before setting off across the world and spent two years planning and writing up his trip.

He described being petrified by the 10m waves, and that Jessica would encounter 15m waves on her particular route.

"She does not know what she is letting herself in for – it is really dangerous," Mr Carlile said. "I have tried to get in contact with her to warn her about the dangers, but there has been no response."

I have competed in a dinghy in 5 metre waves, and I can tell you it was terrifying. A 15 metre wave is the height of a 4 story building, and such conditions occur in gale force winds.

I think her parents will rue the day they did not heed all the warnings from people who know. I just cannot imagine what motivates then to encourage her to do this.

harsha
27th September 2009, 07:59
seriously,the parents need to be given a strong talking to...I mean she's a minor for crying out loud..

Roamy
27th September 2009, 08:06
Jessica Watson intends to sail solo around the world. This despite a serious collision on her way from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney where she will start her Solo Journey. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26127059-2,00.html?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

I consider her parents to be extremely irresponsible, as the girl obviously doesn't have sufficient yachting experience for such a challenge. I just cannot imagine her trying to sail round Cape Horn - I don't think she fully realises the treacherous conditions of such a trip.

Before you reply to this, please read the link first. Thanks.

Well is sounds as though she can't even drive so I would not believe she can get around the world solo. But maybe if she has a good auto-pilot and really knows Nobeltec she will make it if storms don't come up.

Hondo
28th September 2009, 05:43
Let her go ahead and sail. The parents can collect the insurance and sell the movie rights. Nature will have a fair shot at eliminating this foolish life form before it can reproduce. Any details on the boat she is using?

If being dragged by a cargo ship didn't phase her, thoughts of 30 foot waves tossing her around while battened down below with her headphones on and internet connected probably won't bother her either.

Valve Bounce
29th September 2009, 03:15
Well, here's the latest link: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26138326-2,00.html?from=igoogle+gadget+compact+news_rss

If you look at the left of the page, there are related stories.

Valve Bounce
18th October 2009, 05:27
The 17 year old (minus one day) girl is finally off on her sail around the world. There is an interesting clip in this link from Tony Bullymore : http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/877066/watson-sails-from-sydney-on-sunday
who managed to survive during a similar attempt when his boat capsized and he had to live in freezing conditions in his upside down boat for severl days in freezing conditions.

It is interesting that while all the news focuses on whether she is courageous or foolish, there has never been anything about her sailing prowess or yachting experience to date.

Each time I have seen news clips of her under sail, (admittedly it may have been for photo shoots), she has not set her sails correctly - they have been flapping in the wind. Now, with all experienced sailors when they hoist a sail, they instinctively set the sail properly for the wind directions immediately. They never hoist a sail and let the sail flap if they are under way.

Jessica is going to experience wild conditions that she probably never even imagined when she gets to Cape Horn, let alone the storms at sea she is likely to encounter.

At this stage, my only wish is for her to have a safe trip, and to return safely to Oz.

Hondo
18th October 2009, 08:36
I hope she's towing a PD Racer to bring her home when the big boat gives it up.

Valve Bounce
18th October 2009, 09:13
I hope she's towing a PD Racer to bring her home when the big boat gives it up.

Jokes aside, as a sailor myself, I can see the peril ahead and fully feel the concern for her survival. We can all joke/comment about how she might get concerned about the fact that she might hit something or feel being alone after 7 days sailing.

But can she manage sailing a yacht in strong winds without a rudder, merely by manipulating her sails? There are some very basic skills in controlling a yacht when things go wrong, and so far her sailing credentials have not been publicised.

Hondo
18th October 2009, 10:12
I know what you're saying. Judging by the video showing the boat's interior and the way she has stuff scattered around, I don't think she'll make it. She seems to be relying far too much on electronics as opposed to seamanship. Even if the electronics don't fail, rescue is not necessarily certain in a timely manner. With a few tools and a couple of nails, she could turn her PD Racer into a makeshift rudder.

Hondo
18th October 2009, 10:14
Hey valve, check out the PDs at the 2009 Texas 200, a sort of sailing free-for-all.

Valve Bounce
18th October 2009, 11:43
Hey valve, check out the PDs at the 2009 Texas 200, a sort of sailing free-for-all.

Ya gotta link?

Hondo
18th October 2009, 12:00
Here's a link to the Texas 200 and there will be assorted PDR links within it. The PDRs were quite the heros last year. I may give it a go in 2010, but not in my PDR. It's a great little boat, for what it is. I built mine to the Oz specs with some legal modifications like an additional bouancy tank at the rear and a pivoting leeboard on the port side. Leeboards are ugly but they free up interior room. Anyway, If I get a wild hair, Sweetie and I can be sailing in 30 minutes. Throw the PDR in the back of the pickup and head for the lake. It takes more time to get Sweetie in her life vest than it does to rig the boat.

http://www.texas200.com/

http://waderweb.com/events/090608_tx200/index.htm

gloomyDAY
18th October 2009, 15:52
I'll start on her obituary.

Valve Bounce
19th October 2009, 11:59
Here's a link to the Texas 200 and there will be assorted PDR links within it. The PDRs were quite the heros last year. I may give it a go in 2010, but not in my PDR. It's a great little boat, for what it is. I built mine to the Oz specs with some legal modifications like an additional bouancy tank at the rear and a pivoting leeboard on the port side. Leeboards are ugly but they free up interior room. Anyway, If I get a wild hair, Sweetie and I can be sailing in 30 minutes. Throw the PDR in the back of the pickup and head for the lake. It takes more time to get Sweetie in her life vest than it does to rig the boat.

http://www.texas200.com/

http://waderweb.com/events/090608_tx200/index.htm

Very interesting yacht - lotsa sail area. I like the part that it will plane.
I wonder how the skiffs which race around Sydney harbour will go.

There ya go: http://www.18footers.com.au/index.php/18ft-skiff-racing.html :D

I'm going to get on a Manly Ferry one day to watch them, I vow!!

Hondo
19th October 2009, 13:45
Very interesting yacht - lotsa sail area. I like the part that it will plane.
I wonder how the skiffs which race around Sydney harbour will go.

There ya go: http://www.18footers.com.au/index.php/18ft-skiff-racing.html :D

I'm going to get on a Manly Ferry one day to watch them, I vow!!

Nice boats but I'd bet they are costly at this point. I like my Duck. I'm not young anymore and "Duck Nuts" can be sailed with a minimum of effort, you can sit in it or on it, a sort of bean bag pillow makes a conformal seat where ever you want to put it, and yes, my cheap, homemade blue poly tarp sails work great.

Azumanga Davo
19th October 2009, 17:19
I'll start on her obituary.

My thoughts exactly...

Alfa Fan
19th October 2009, 18:20
Why does the title of this thread still say 6 year old? That would have been far more interesting

Valve Bounce
19th October 2009, 22:57
Why does the title of this thread still say 6 year old? That would have been far more interesting

It needs to be corrected really. I wanted to post 16 but hit a cap on the way to the one.

Anyway, although she is still touted as being sixteen, she is really seventeen as her birthday was reported as yesterday, making her 17.

And yeah! Fiero, that Duck of yours looks really comfortable. The dinghy I used to sail was an Enterprise, http://images.google.com.au/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU350&q=Enterprise+dinghy&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=7d_cSrPSOtGQkQXBxNnEDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQsAQwAw
Which has got to be one of the most uncomfortable dinghies to lean out on.