PDA

View Full Version : Alex Yoong @ Lotus

Powered by Cosworth
26th September 2009, 13:35
Been an interesting day. Ate good food, enjoyed better company & watched F1 in the paddock club. Oh, & also got offered a job with Lotus F1

From his Facebook. I can only hope this is some sort of test driver role, or god help us all.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 13:42
NOOOOOOOOOO0000000000ooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I might have to seriously reconsider my support of Lotus F1 if they hire him as anything other than test driver or something!

jonny hurlock
26th September 2009, 14:04
no no no no no no no and no! a1gp yes, f1 no!

gloomyDAY
26th September 2009, 14:14
The guy is Malaysian, right?

I mean it makes commercial sense from the team's perspective.
If Lotus not really Lotus want to win, then they should find someone better.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 16:19
.....If Lotus not really Lotus......

We really need a better name than LnrL. :p

Dave B
26th September 2009, 16:37
"A job". Sweeping up at the factory is "a job", he could be taking up a test or reserve role or anything else. He could open doors at sponsors, and be very useful in the team's marketing and development.

Just don't give him a drive!

harsha
26th September 2009, 16:53
"A job". Sweeping up at the factory is "a job", he could be taking up a test or reserve role or anything else. He could open doors at sponsors, and be very useful in the team's marketing and development.

agreed...he could be a test driver / consultant...just don't let him get into the car on raceday

VkmSpouge
26th September 2009, 17:07
As a driver to do PR stuff in Malaysia, sure hire Alex Yoong. As a grand prix race driver, do not hire Alex Yoong.

driveace
26th September 2009, 17:53
His job is to pick up the race drivers from the hotel,and take them to and from the circuit! Thats it !

DexDexter
26th September 2009, 18:27
From his Facebook. I can only hope this is some sort of test driver role, or god help us all.

Oh my God! :down:

Lennat
26th September 2009, 19:27
I would imagine that the new teams will be slow enough even with descent drivers, so hiring Yoong seems a bit overkill.

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2009, 21:09
As a driver to do PR stuff in Malaysia, sure hire Alex Yoong. As a grand prix race driver, do not hire Alex Yoong.

agreed. Alex yoong in a drivers seat would be F1 suicide. simple as.

Easy Drifter
26th September 2009, 21:13
Crash Test Dummy :eek:

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2009, 21:16
Crash Test Dummy :eek:

No. He'd most probably miss the wall in which to crash into ;)

ioan
26th September 2009, 23:26
This thread is just about F1 armchair experts venting their frustration and laughing about a guy who would be 10 seconds ahead of them after the first corner in a race.

BDunnell
26th September 2009, 23:44
This thread is just about F1 armchair experts venting their frustration and laughing about a guy who would be 10 seconds ahead of them after the first corner in a race.

I think we have just hit new lows of rank hypocrisy with that post. Is this the same ioan who was so critical of Badoer, and whose pace I doubt he could have beaten?

BeansBeansBeans
27th September 2009, 00:14
Much ado about nothing.

It'll be some sort commercial role.

BeansBeansBeans
27th September 2009, 00:15
I think we have just hit new lows of rank hypocrisy with that post. Is this the same ioan who was so critical of Badoer, and whose pace I doubt he could have beaten?

I'm eagerly anticipating the chicanery that Ioan will employ to get around this accusation, instead of saying "Haha, fair point" like anybody else would.

BDunnell
27th September 2009, 00:39
I'm eagerly anticipating the chicanery that Ioan will employ to get around this accusation, instead of saying "Haha, fair point" like anybody else would.

Let's open a book on it.

cos
27th September 2009, 00:45
Yes his stint in F1 wasn't brilliant; but let's not forget he was in the 2nd Minardi alongside a certain M Webber yet still had a best F1 result of 7th. He had a fair few victories in A1GP too, beating the likes of Hulkenberg, Carpentier, Enge, Rahal and Buemi (who's also driving for "Minardi" and has a best F1 finish of 7th...)

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 00:50

How about cleaning toilets? If he does a really good job, give him a brush after a few months. ;)

And Ioan, while none of the posters here is qualified to be a grand prix driver, neither are any of claiming to have (driving) jobs with a F1 team!

ClarkFan

CNR
27th September 2009, 01:28
good for him as button has proven you don't have to be the best driver to get resultsin a good car

V12
27th September 2009, 02:13
To be fair whenever I've accidentally flicked onto A1make-zzzzz-boring-GP he seems to have been one of the better drivers, and I'd guess he's probably a better driver than he was 2001/2, but yeah let's face it there's probably a fair few drivers out there that could do a better job than him. But let's see...

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 03:50

:D Clearly we have all had the same reaction!

But he said he was offered a job, and that does nor mean driving.

Y'know I find that I react with revulsion when they talk about Lotus being the name of this new team.

I know I was somwhat supportive at first - but I just cant do it.

This is NOT Lotus, it never will be Lotus and honestly the image it provides is one of carriciture.

And I think that maybe they will find just too many purists against them. At least I hope so :vader:

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 03:54
good for him as button has proven you don't have to be the best driver to get resultsin a good car

Yes, just like Webber.

And of course how good is Hamilton in a BAD car!!!!

Your view of Button is directly opposite to that of the great Schumacher and Brawn as well as Williams.

You are just a Button hater - sucks to be you :vader:

bravefish
27th September 2009, 04:22
You just never know - he's certainly a better driver now than the last time he was in F1.

The team might just have found themselves their next Stirling Moss, Jim Clark, Jochen Rindt or Ayrton Senna by unleashing a dangerously quick Alex Yoong in their new Proton, oops I mean their new Lotus...

CNR
27th September 2009, 04:34
Yes, just like Webber.

And of course how good is Hamilton in a BAD car!!!!

Your view of Button is directly opposite to that of the great Schumacher and Brawn as well as Williams.

You are just a Button hater - sucks to be you :vader:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6I9qX8U4bwI/RrmxkVCklxI/AAAAAAAAAQM/59S0KPqutWg/s400/4zwhf1l.jpg

DexDexter
27th September 2009, 08:33

You don't have to swim againts the tide every time :)

jens
27th September 2009, 10:22
Can someone really take it seriously, what is written on Facebook? It has never really been a source for F1 news before. :p : And is there any proof that the person writing there is Mr Yoong himself? Otherwise - not much point in discussions here. :p :

DexDexter
27th September 2009, 10:26
Can someone really take it seriously, what is written on Facebook? It has never really been a source for F1 news before. :p : And is there any proof that the person writing there is Mr Yoong himself? Otherwise - not much point in discussions here. :p :

I take everything I write there very seriously :) . You're right, though.

CNR
27th September 2009, 10:26
Alex Yoong may join Team Lotus as deputy team principal (http://www.icars.sg/2009/9172/alex-yoong-may-join-team-lotus-as-deputy-team-principal/)

OK how dose this sound Alex Yoong team principal

Sonic
27th September 2009, 11:15
Alex Yoong may join Team Lotus as deputy team principal (http://www.icars.sg/2009/9172/alex-yoong-may-join-team-lotus-as-deputy-team-principal/)

OK how dose this sound Alex Yoong team principal

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaaha!

About as smart as when Pedro Diniz stepped that side of the fence.

Sonic
27th September 2009, 11:22

I'll give it a shot *shrugs*

Bless you Ioan :D you make this place fun.