PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan GP

Sonic
26th September 2009, 13:27
Meant to post this a few days ago but it drifted out of my mind. In a recent article about the location of the British GP Bernie also mentioned his desire to get back to the USA. He also stated his ideal choice would be a Manhattan street race.

Is it possible? And if it is what would the track look like? GT4 had a New York street track but it was a bit dull and also quite short.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 13:31
http://img168.imageshack.us/i/newyork5qy.jpg/

Found this rough drawing of the layout. For those who haven't played it the start finish straight goes down past times square and then wiggles its way up to central park.

ioan
26th September 2009, 16:29
Bah, looks bad to me.
Unless they run 80% of the track through the park they will have only 90 degree corners! :D

Dave B
26th September 2009, 16:31
Oh goody, yet another street race. Do we really need or want any more?

truefan72
26th September 2009, 16:35
lol that image is taken from Gran Turismo 4

that is the track in the game for the new york race

priceless

Sonic
26th September 2009, 16:42
lol that image is taken from Gran Turismo 4

that is the track in the game for the new york race

priceless

Damn straight :D

call_me_andrew
26th September 2009, 21:07
The only way a street race would happen in Manhattan is if it were held in Central Park. And that would only happen if about half the trees in Central Park were cut down. And I can't imagine a universe in which those trees get cut down. And that includes the Mirror Universe!

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2009, 21:15
a while ago i looked at Manhatten on google earth and made an alright looking street track out of it. Ill find it and post it tommorrow, give bernie some ideas. :D

But if bernie wants a street race in the usa, whats wrong with Long Beach?

call_me_andrew
26th September 2009, 21:20
I don't think Long Beach has the facilites to host an F1 race anymore. Plus Bernie would have to pry it out of the IRL's cold dead hands.

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 01:01
Meant to post this a few days ago but it drifted out of my mind. In a recent article about the location of the British GP Bernie also mentioned his desire to get back to the USA. He also stated his ideal choice would be a Manhattan street race.

Is it possible? And if it is what would the track look like? GT4 had a New York street track but it was a bit dull and also quite short.
Not a snowball's chance in Hell a race will be staged there. Absolutely no way of getting the permits or surviving the hail of lawsuits against the race.

What's wrong with Watkins Glen? :confused:

ClarkFan

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 01:18
http://img168.imageshack.us/i/newyork5qy.jpg/

Found this rough drawing of the layout. For those who haven't played it the start finish straight goes down past times square and then wiggles its way up to central park.
And your chance of getting those streets closed for 3 days is about the same as your chance of going backwards in time. Close Broadway for 3 days, or worse, disrupt the pedestrian traffic to the theater district and through Columbus Circle? Run screaming F1 cars a couple of blocks from Carnegie Hall and past the high priced apartment/coop buildings on 59th street, including the Plaza Hotel?

Not a chance....the "track" is the equivalent of running a race through central London, with a loop around Nelson's statue.

ClarkFan

V12
27th September 2009, 02:49

Too exciting/fun/interesting/different/traditional/not a good revenue stream (circle as appropriate Bernie).

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 03:35

I agree, not another goddam street circuit. They are dreadful. It is bad enough that the Marina Bay corners are hardly different from each other and it resembles brightly lit Bell Isle with colonial period buildings.

And in Manhattan - it will never happen in a million life times. Why?

Because the pale, liberals that run Manhattan consider fauna more important that humans and people that like something as gross as a racing car to be lower than grunting neanderthals dragging their knuckles along the ground.

Never mind the eco-whackos and climate change alarmists that are found amongst the liberal dominated "rulers" of stinky Manhattan.

Anyway I hope it would fail because I hope all and any new street circuit fails because that is not f1.

From Spa and Monza to Marina Bay? Its enough to make one throw up in disgust!

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 03:42
Not a snowball's chance in Hell a race will be staged there. Absolutely no way of getting the permits or surviving the hail of lawsuits against the race.

ClarkFan

I agree with you.

Its interesting to note that Adrian Newey recently commented that to get f1 cars back to exciting racing would require designs similar to f1 cars found in the 1970's.

One of the greatest designers in the world said THAT!

And then we COULD have races at Watkins Glen, Becasuse the cars would be more adaptive and naturally more compact without those horrible long noses, and of course the driver would count once again :D

call_me_andrew
27th September 2009, 04:15
Anyway I hope it would fail because I hope all and any new street circuit fails because that is not f1.

Unless you happend to be in Monaco.

DexDexter
27th September 2009, 09:09
If they somehow managed to stage a race in New York (which they won't), it could work very well, since New York is such a cosmopolitan city and many New Yorkers are IMO cultivated, intelligent people who are open to new things. They could like F1. But what do I know, I'm just a Finn in love with NY. :)

ioan
27th September 2009, 09:55

What a nice and positive view about life you have, NOT.

BTW don't they have a Marina in New York? I'd like to see a race there instead of the Bahrain one.

ioan
27th September 2009, 09:58
If they somehow managed to stage a race in New York (which they won't), it could work very well, since New York is such a cosmopolitan city and many New Yorkers are IMO cultivated, intelligent people who are open to new things. They could like F1. But what do I know, I'm just a Finn in love with NY. :)

Plus they might be able to pull enough people to watch the race with holding it in a 20 million inhabitants city.

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 19:43
What a nice and positive view about life you have, NOT.

BTW don't they have a Marina in New York? I'd like to see a race there instead of the Bahrain one.

What does an outlook on life have to do with disliking street circuits that resemble the New Jersey turnpike with chain link fencing? Huh?!

There is more than one marina in Manhattan alone.

Designing a circuit is not the issue - it is the politics that will ensure such a venture is never allowed.

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 19:46
Plus they might be able to pull enough people to watch the race with holding it in a 20 million inhabitants city.

What city is that? Mexico City?

New York City has a population over the entire five boros of approximately 7 to 8 million people - maybe 20 million rats or 20 gazillion cockroaches...!

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 19:49
Unless you happend to be in Monaco.

Naturally :D

But Monte Carlo is one of the traditional unique circuits and a very different place to all others.

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 19:55

Its not about the people, but the politics and those who rule in NYC.

It is not a capitalistic city such as Singapore. The politics to get anything done requires corruption of a tremendous magnitude and everything would be union locked down.