PDA

View Full Version : He's lost it! boss warns: You're totally out of touch

CNR
26th September 2009, 01:53
He's lost it! Blast for Bernie Ecclestone as boss warns: You're totally out of touch

Bernie Ecclestone's reign over Formula One came under unprecedented attack when one of the few men who could be described as his boss denounced him as being ‘totally out of touch’.

Sir Martin Sorrell, who serves on the board of CVC Capital Partners, the private equity
firm which owns F1’s commercial rights, criticised Ecclestone for advising Flavio Briatore to appeal against his lifetime ban from the sport.

On Monday, Ecclestone was a crucial figure in determining Briatore’s sanction for race-fixing at last year’s Singapore Grand Prix, yet on Thursday he encouraged the shamed former Renault team principal to appeal against the penalty, making the extraordinary claim that ‘a year’s ban is enough’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1216183/Hes-lost-Blast-Bernie-Ecclestone-boss-warns-Youre-totally-touch.html#ixzz0SAZEUDcK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1216183/Hes-lost-Blast-Bernie-Ecclestone-boss-warns-Youre-totally-touch.html#ixzz0SAZEUDcK)

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2009, 08:11
well done Martin Sorrell. bernie has lost it and is out of touch, and its good that someone has put him in his place.

flav is banned for life. he deserves it. end of story IMO.

Saint Devote
26th September 2009, 11:00
Well Bernie's view is supported for example by di Montezemolo, Gian Carlo Minardi, the head of Spains motor racing association and of course myself.

Why? Because there was no trial and it was a reactionary and capricious decision.

And aside from Symonds disclosing that in the secret meeting of four - including "witness x" rumored to be Alonso - it was Piquet that raised the idea.

And Piquet is given immunity? So you support that.

Well all I have noticed from people like yourself here is never mind, lets just get Flavio.

Next time there is a punishment goven out do not criticize the FIA because out of all of this, it is the issue that has had the least consideration.

And just like the disgraceful $100 million fine levied at Mclaren it shows what the FIA is - not justice, but a power.

This issue is not over. Maybe on appeal this unjust decision will be reversed and Flavio is going to take this to court.

And those that are cheering this - where is your outrage against the Ferrari cheating in collusion with the FIA or the lack of punishment that Hamilton received for lying, not once but twice before the FIA?

And how can you cheer this regardless? Do you hate formula 1 or perhaps you are just envious of a man that lives a lifetsyle you can just dream of?

That Briatore's 20 years in this sport counted for nothing and the cowardice of his fellow team principles to voice support against a ban is not surprising because moral courage is not something evident these days.

And those that view this in a childlike simplistic way [criticizing the punishment is the same as supporting whatever occurred at Marina Bay in 2008] - how can you cheer, not perhaps agree, but CHEER this about Flavio? Disgrace.

As for Sorrell - he is someone that has always resented Bernie going back quite a while. Sorrell is forgetable however, because f1 was created and is where it is today not because of a man like him, but someone like Bernie.

And to see people here with such a resentment for those that manage our beloved sport is appalling and unfathomable.

I find it utterly distasteful.

If I had to choose between those that are attacking or Flavio and Bernie, I would stand without equivocation with Briatore and Ecclestone. Their virtuous creations far outway any vices.

BDunnell
26th September 2009, 11:13

I could select many things from your typically pompous post to comment upon ('virtous creations'? Give me a break...) but this stands out the most. 'Utterly distasteful'? I would tend to reserve such comments for such things that are genuinely distasteful, i.e. not a businessman being forced out of a job for orchestrating a fix, but, for instance, the sort of thing that gets someone sentenced to a prison sentence.

Saint Devote
26th September 2009, 11:25
I could select many things from your typically pompous post to comment upon ('virtous creations'? Give me a break...) but this stands out the most. 'Utterly distasteful'? I would tend to reserve such comments for such things that are genuinely distasteful, i.e. not a businessman being forced out of a job for orchestrating a fix, but, for instance, the sort of thing that gets someone sentenced to a prison sentence.

A prison sentence? In a civilized country that involves a proper trial. There is no comparison.

You point a finger at Briatore in moral outrage - yet why do you not call for punishment to Piquet? And Piquet's immunity is something that IS illiciting lots of ccriticism from commentators as well as pitlane.

The distaste I have is that the good in the sport that Flavio has done is totally ignored and one accusation results in what we have seen happen to Flavio and the cheering of it.

When a member of the motor racing family makes a msitake you do NOT cheer. You commiserate and seek areas where you can support them.

I am not a supporter of Piquet and I have criticized him as a driver - but he is also Nelson's son and I have respect for that, and he is young and perhaps impetuous.

If Flavio is forgiven then Nelsihno should also be.

This is a loss for motor racing and that is always sad in my world.

F1boat
26th September 2009, 11:25
I agree with Bernie. I think that Flavio is a colourful figure and great team boss. Lifetime's ban is too much.

Garry Walker
26th September 2009, 11:45
I agree with Bernie. I think that Flavio is a colourful figure and great team boss. Lifetime's ban is too much.

Lifetimes ban is too easy of a sentence for him. The guy tried to cheat and almost got away with it.

Garry Walker
26th September 2009, 11:46
A prison sentence? In a civilized country that involves a proper trial. There is no comparison.

You point a finger at Briatore in moral outrage - yet why do you not call for punishment to Piquet? And Piquet's immunity is something that IS illiciting lots of ccriticism from commentators as well as pitlane.

Because without Piquets testimony, FIA couldn`t have done squat, genius.
They let go of the smaller fish, to get the bigger one. With Success, I might add.

BDunnell
26th September 2009, 11:53

Of course I think Piquet should never be seen in F1 again either. He doesn't deserve to be there on merit, let alone anything else.

When a member of the motor racing family makes a msitake you do NOT cheer. You commiserate and seek areas where you can support them.

'A mistake'? I would place what happened in Singapore this year in a slightly higher category than 'mistake'.

ioan
26th September 2009, 12:27
Lifetimes ban is too easy of a sentence for him. The guy tried to cheat and almost got away with it.

Exactly.

Anyway good move from the CVC guy, he certainly decided that CVC has enough of Bernie protecting his friends instead of their business.
I hope soon they kick Bernie out of his greedy position.

Max will be gone, Flav is gone, Ron is gone when Bernie goes F1 can finally start a new life.

ioan
26th September 2009, 12:27
Because without Piquets testimony, FIA couldn`t have done squat, genius.
They let go of the smaller fish, to get the bigger one. With Success, I might add.

And rightly so I would add.

Sonic
26th September 2009, 12:38

Max will be gone, Flav is gone, Ron is gone when Bernie goes F1 can finally start a new life.

And Frank will remain! :D

harsha
26th September 2009, 17:01
let's dream on :cheese: :D

seppefan
26th September 2009, 18:01
And Frank will remain! :D

Maybe not if Todt is elected. But lets hope so. One of the good guys but so was Symonds I thought......

Stuartf12007
26th September 2009, 19:14
I am Glad Briatore got banned he was a crook and a cheat, F1 will live on and be better without him.

For people like Flav Karma exists "what goes around comes around"

Koz
26th September 2009, 20:24
The sentence wasn't right at all.

Flav, Symonds and Piquet should all be locked up in Changi prison. Maybe that's why the former two resigned before Singapore.

ioan
26th September 2009, 20:32

Flav, Symonds and Piquet should all be locked up in Changi prison. Maybe that's why the former two resigned before Singapore.

You're mistaking the FIA WMSC with a Court of law.

BDunnell
26th September 2009, 20:46

That would have been an absurd state of affairs by any standards, no matter what Singapore's laws are.

Koz
27th September 2009, 00:03
That would have been an absurd state of affairs by any standards, no matter what Singapore's laws are.

This is criminal conspiracy, criminal breach of trust, cheating, mischief, attempts to commit offences; as I see it.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/DisplayContent.pl?DOCID=2008-REVED-224&VID=1228207126-004566&WEF=latest&TYPE=simple&mode=and&version=currentVersion&query1=cheating

I lived in Singapore for a year, you can get done for not flushing a public toilet. These guys do not kid.

Crimes were committed in Singapore's jurisdiction, in which the worst case scenario would have been death and serious injury.

WMSC looks after rules and such, not criminal proceedings correct?

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 00:57
Well Bernie's view is supported for example by di Montezemolo, Gian Carlo Minardi, the head of Spains motor racing association and of course myself.

Why? Because there was no trial and it was a reactionary and capricious decision.

And aside from Symonds disclosing that in the secret meeting of four - including "witness x" rumored to be Alonso - it was Piquet that raised the idea.

And Piquet is given immunity? So you support that.

Well all I have noticed from people like yourself here is never mind, lets just get Flavio.

Next time there is a punishment goven out do not criticize the FIA because out of all of this, it is the issue that has had the least consideration.

And just like the disgraceful $100 million fine levied at Mclaren it shows what the FIA is - not justice, but a power.

This issue is not over. Maybe on appeal this unjust decision will be reversed and Flavio is going to take this to court.

And those that are cheering this - where is your outrage against the Ferrari cheating in collusion with the FIA or the lack of punishment that Hamilton received for lying, not once but twice before the FIA?

And how can you cheer this regardless? Do you hate formula 1 or perhaps you are just envious of a man that lives a lifetsyle you can just dream of?

That Briatore's 20 years in this sport counted for nothing and the cowardice of his fellow team principles to voice support against a ban is not surprising because moral courage is not something evident these days.

And those that view this in a childlike simplistic way [criticizing the punishment is the same as supporting whatever occurred at Marina Bay in 2008] - how can you cheer, not perhaps agree, but CHEER this about Flavio? Disgrace.

As for Sorrell - he is someone that has always resented Bernie going back quite a while. Sorrell is forgetable however, because f1 was created and is where it is today not because of a man like him, but someone like Bernie.

And to see people here with such a resentment for those that manage our beloved sport is appalling and unfathomable.

If I had to choose between those that are attacking or Flavio and Bernie, I would stand without equivocation with Briatore and Ecclestone. Their virtuous creations far outway any vices.
Shoeless Joe Jackson has been banned from baseball for 90 years for helping fix the 1919 World Series on orders of the commissioner of baseball, but remains eligible for reinstatement. 90 years sounds like a nice waiting period for Flavio for his stunt.

ClarkFan

CNR
27th September 2009, 01:35
secret meeting of four - including "witness x" rumored to be Alonso

more likely his race engineer

BobbyC
27th September 2009, 03:10
Bernie's stupidity is just everywhere in motorsport.

If you intentionally cause a caution, that's a fine, point penalty, and other things. Does a driver, crew chief, or team owner become banned for life because they intentionally caused a caution in a similar situation? Most of the time stewards should catch it quickly and punish with a penalty as said above.

I would have simply thrown a €200,000 fine on Briatore , a 20-point penalty from final 2008 results for Renault in the Constructors Championship, take away the win and 10 points for Alonso, and mandatory community service.

I remember Dale Earnhardt Jnr in 2004 was given a $10,000 fine and 25 point penalty for a similar violation at Bristol two days after the race when NASCAR stewards found out he had intentionally spun his car to cause a caution. NASCAR used radio transmission to observe the violation. No penalty for Tony Eury.

Maybe we need some NASCAR officials to be hired by Formula One officials to listen to radio on each team to observe these no-no's.

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 04:01
Shoeless Joe Jackson has been banned from baseball for 90 years for helping fix the 1919 World Series on orders of the commissioner of baseball, but remains eligible for reinstatement. 90 years sounds like a nice waiting period for Flavio for his stunt.

ClarkFan

:D Why not 91? See how arbitrary?

I wonder how long Enzo Ferrari would have been banned for these days given his malleable ethics.

When did f1 become the sport of cry babies and ninnies :vader:

Maybe when Mika Hakkinen broke down like a baby at Monza and sat on his helmet and cried! What a goddamn pathetic sight that was!

Saint Devote
27th September 2009, 04:07
Bernie's stupidity is just everywhere in motorsport.

If you intentionally cause a caution, that's a fine, point penalty, and other things. Does a driver, crew chief, or team owner become banned for life because they intentionally caused a caution in a similar situation? Most of the time stewards should catch it quickly and punish with a penalty as said above.

I would have simply thrown a €200,000 fine on Briatore , a 20-point penalty from final 2008 results for Renault in the Constructors Championship, take away the win and 10 points for Alonso, and mandatory community service.

I remember Dale Earnhardt Jnr in 2004 was given a $10,000 fine and 25 point penalty for a similar violation at Bristol two days after the race when NASCAR stewards found out he had intentionally spun his car to cause a caution. NASCAR used radio transmission to observe the violation. No penalty for Tony Eury.

Maybe we need some NASCAR officials to be hired by Formula One officials to listen to radio on each team to observe these no-no's.

NASCAR? That series is more corrupt than Chicago and New York City politics put together!

Yeah! Bernie's "stupidity" IS everywhere - it created this damn sport to the point where outside of World Cup Soccer and the Summer Olympics it is the biggest and has nations clamouring to host a grand prix event.

And all the money so many in f1 have made because Bernie negotiated - and of course there is that little matter of a hand shake is a deal made with Bernie.

What utter stupidty!

And then there are the idiots like us, in our stupidity, because of Bernie's stupidity, that watch practice and qualifying and the grand prix and then come here to discuss it!

Such stupidity!!! Tch!

Valve Bounce
27th September 2009, 04:12

How blessed we are with the presence of one so esteemed in our humble forum.

Valve Bounce
27th September 2009, 04:13
Gee! I guess I will have to serve my time for that. :( :bigcry:

And I even forgot to post my pickems this week. :(

It's ioan's fault. He's to blame, not me!! :eek:

F1boat
27th September 2009, 06:11
I would have simply thrown a €200,000 fine on Briatore , a 20-point penalty from final 2008 results for Renault in the Constructors Championship, take away the win and 10 points for Alonso

First - FIA decided that Alonso is unaware of the situation. hy should he be penalized?
Second - you can't change the outcome of races in a championship after the champion is officially crowned in December.
So - I would have removed Renault from the current WCC and gave Flavio, Pat and Nelsinho a two-years ban.

ioan
27th September 2009, 09:38
Crimes were committed in Singapore's jurisdiction, in which the worst case scenario would have been death and serious injury.

People are convicted on facts not woulds and ifs.
It's like sentencing someone to death because he could have run over someone with his car even though he managed to brake early enough to only scare the other person.

WMSC looks after rules and such, not criminal proceedings correct?

Correct and they could in the worst case ban someone from the FIA related activities.

ioan
27th September 2009, 09:39
How blessed we are with the presence of one so esteemed in our humble forum.

Correction, we are blessed with the presence of one so self esteemed in our humble forum.

ioan
27th September 2009, 09:40
Gee! I guess I will have to serve my time for that. :( :bigcry:

And I even forgot to post my pickems this week. :(

It's ioan's fault. He's to blame, not me!! :eek:

:)

Garry Walker
27th September 2009, 21:17

200,000 fine for Flavio? You do realize that he would LAUGH at that as that sum is nothing for him. Nothing. The guy just a little while ago bought a yacht worth more than 50 million dollars. And you think he would care about your fine.

Good that you are not the one making those decisions in f1.

Jag_Warrior
27th September 2009, 23:29

ClarkFan

Well, let's not be harsh. Let's knock it down to 50 years and tell Flav they'll have a look at it then. If he's a good boy, in year 51, he can come back.

speeddurango
28th September 2009, 00:17
That's why Bernie is "out of touch" for this Martin guy, they're not even in the same league. This certain Martin should just lay back and enjoy the profits Bernie made for them and that's it.

Knock-on
30th September 2009, 12:35
Things are going to get interesting.

First, Bernie accuses Martin Sorrell of being virtually insignificant and motivated by his religion to attack him and then it transpires that Bernie voted against Banning Flav.

I wonder how much longer Donald Mackenzie will shield Bernie from the music :D