PDA

View Full Version : Where are you IRC?

bluuford
25th September 2009, 12:46
Well. I was thinking about starting that thread or not for very long time. And finally I did it. What is the problem?

After Monte I have been more and more disappointed by the work that Eurosport has done to broadcast the IRC.

I like all kind of rallying no mater is it IRC, WRC, ERC or Estonian rally championship or Finnish rally Championship - I follow them all as much as I can.
So, we have just a superb entry list in Sanremo, and most probably we are going to see good competition on that rally as well. Probably there is very nice atmosphere in Sanremo right now but.. Even the biggest rally enthusiasts behind TV or computer does not get part of it. Yes I agree, I can go there to see it, but I cannot go everywhere.

We have Friday afternoon right now and I am looking to irc website and what can I see? counter clock that says something will begin in 4 hours and from the program I can find that the shakedown is going to finish very, very soon. and one tiny note that there is one woman on the start line. That is nearly all for last 4 days!

This is real waste of time and money. The teams have been present for many days but there are no news. What is the weather like? Who is going to start and is there any withdrawals? How the shakedown goes on? Does any car have new livery? Any web cams on service park? any drivers quotes after recce or during shakedown? any special notes for shakedown?

Sending all this information to internet or TV makes the rally for the the people further away much more enjoyable and accessible. And gives additional value for the teams who compete. Otherwise it will be only 24 hours and rally is over. For the team the money is spent and what is the value?

One way to make the rally more enjoyable is for example creating network of real rally enthusiasts. Lets say, Eurosport has one rally-firend in each country (where the rally takes place) who constantly sends some information to their main office (talks, videos, photos). Someone corrects the English adds some pictures or videos and puts it on the IRC website and we have happy rallyforumers and good publicity for the competitors with minimal costs.

Otherwise we might end up with the fact that the teams on their own are going to find that the publicity is weak and the money they spend is not wise.. and finally in one sunny day we might find that the entry list is not so strong anymore.

Thank for this opportunity motorsportsforum. I just felt that even Estonian rallies has better broadcast than some of IRC rounds and I needed to get it out from myself and maybe someone does something to make things better.

Have a nice rally!

Dejan
25th September 2009, 12:55
Well. I was thinking about starting that thread or not for very long time. And finally I did it. What is the problem?

After Monte I have been more and more disappointed by the work that Eurosport has done to broadcast the IRC.

I like all kind of rallying no mater is it IRC, WRC, ERC or Estonian rally championship or Finnish rally Championship - I follow them all as much as I can.
So, we have just a superb entry list in Sanremo, and most probably we are going to see good competition on that rally as well. Probably there is very nice atmosphere in Sanremo right now but.. Even the biggest rally enthusiasts behind TV or computer does not get part of it. Yes I agree, I can go there to see it, but I cannot go everywhere.

We have Friday afternoon right now and I am looking to irc website and what can I see? counter clock that says something will begin in 4 hours and from the program I can find that the shakedown is going to finish very, very soon. and one tiny note that there is one woman on the start line. That is nearly all for last 4 days!

This is real waste of time and money. The teams have been present for many days but there are no news. What is the weather like? Who is going to start and is there any withdrawals? How the shakedown goes on? Does any car have new livery? Any web cams on service park? any drivers quotes after recce or during shakedown? any special notes for shakedown?

Sending all this information to internet or TV makes the rally for the the people further away much more enjoyable and accessible. And gives additional value for the teams who compete. Otherwise it will be only 24 hours and rally is over. For the team the money is spent and what is the value?

One way to make the rally more enjoyable is for example creating network of real rally enthusiasts. Lets say, Eurosport has one rally-firend in each country (where the rally takes place) who constantly sends some information to their main office (talks, videos, photos). Someone corrects the English adds some pictures or videos and puts it on the IRC website and we have happy rallyforumers and good publicity for the competitors with minimal costs.

Otherwise we might end up with the fact that the teams on their own are going to find that the publicity is weak and the money they spend is not wise.. and finally in one sunny day we might find that the entry list is not so strong anymore.

Thank for this opportunity motorsportsforum. I just felt that even Estonian rallies has better broadcast than some of IRC rounds and I needed to get it out from myself and maybe someone does something to make things better.

Have a nice rally!

I fully agree with you...

Barreis
25th September 2009, 14:08
WRC is real rally sport championship.. But why not to have IRC?! Eurosport started WTCC and it's popular.. So it could be also IRC.

Francis44
25th September 2009, 17:28
Lack of money!!!!

ProRally
25th September 2009, 18:31
I have told it before, the fantastic coverage of IRC Monte this year was paid for by HRH Prince Albert ... via a media company to promote MC.

Unfortunately there is not such a keen (and rich) supporter in the other events.

Eurosport on is own is no where near in spending such for the other rounds.

Barreis
25th September 2009, 19:45
I have told it before, the fantastic coverage of IRC Monte this year was paid for by HRH Prince Albert ... via a media company to promote MC.

Unfortunately there is not such a keen (and rich) supporter in the other events.

Eurosport on is own is no where near in spending such for the other rounds.

He doesn't have to pay it at all.. 'Cos everybody likes Monte Carlo and 'will watch anything from there. So people from Eurosport know that it will be good on public.. That's why it was so big coverage..

RS
26th September 2009, 09:52
I read on this forum earlier in the year that Eurosport have taken a budget cut for IRC this year in return for improved coverage for 2010.

I still think that overall though, media coverage of IRC in general is far higher than pWRC or jWRC (and probably S2000 cup)