PDA

View Full Version : Danica signs 3-year contract with AGR

NickFalzone
25th September 2009, 03:38
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090924/SPORTS0107/90924044/1052/SPORTS01/Danica+Patrick+staying+in+IndyCar+Series

This would appear to suggest that NASCAR is not going to happen. Although there are always outs on a contract, and I think all this really suggests is that NASCAR probably won't happen in 2010, but she could work out a deal to her (and her manager's) liking for the 2011 season.

MDS
25th September 2009, 04:12
Can't wait to see how someone is going to back away this and say they knew all along.

NickFalzone
25th September 2009, 04:21
I guess this also means more Tissot ads of Danica up close with random guys (they're the IRL's "official" watch company).

http://cdn.allleftturns.com/www/sites/default/files/articles/Danica_Patrick_PDF-0.jpg
http://www.autoracingdaily.com/images/featured/Danica_Patrick_PDF-2.jpg
http://www.shoptissot.com/mm5/images/Danica-Promo-2.jpg

NickFalzone
25th September 2009, 04:27
Actually nevermind Ritmo Mundo is the IRL's official timepiece, Tissot must be Danica-only.

TURN3
25th September 2009, 05:04
Can't wait to see how someone is going to back away this and say they knew all along.

Can I lay claim to this notion? Purely a guess on my part back after rumors were flying about her going to TCGR but I said she wasn't going anywhere. She wasn't going anywhere because it wouldn't make sense on any level...COMMON SENSE PREVAILS!!!! I don't care who wants to claim a deal was done or in the works or whatever. Bottom line, if this is actually official, she's at AGR so any claims to anything else were just misguided truths.

EagleEye
25th September 2009, 14:12
This is all certainly great news for the IRL, and shows she is going to test the waters before taking a full plunge into "the other series". As she tests the waters in some of the other development series, there is an opportunity to attract some additional viewers to the IRL.

The question about where she was going made national news, while the fight for the championship barely gets a mention. Strike that. The fight for the championship does not get mentioned.

Now, if we can only get people to use their negative energies to get others to watch the last race of the season. We need the ratings!!!

indycool
25th September 2009, 14:14
It even made CNN Headline News' little bitty sports brief this morning that she'd signed.

IMO, more people on chat forums and elsewhere read more into her NASCAR possibilities than really existed. Now that she's got a fulltime Indy car ride, she MAY run a truck or Nationwide car or two on off weekends, but the Indy car ride was obviously where the negotiating emphasis was placed.

DBell
25th September 2009, 15:09
Damn, I guess that means no NASCAR_Warrior :D

I'm really glad the "where will Danica race" stuff can be put to rest.

MDS
25th September 2009, 16:02
I'm not surprised by this at all.

I would say this clearly boosts Franck Montagny's chance of getting a full-time ride with Andretti racing next year as they clearly need someone with is technical experience and ability, and with the Boost/Motorola money there is a better chance of putting a guy like him in the fourth seat to help with feed the setup need for Marco and Danica

indycool
25th September 2009, 17:02
Could be......but where does that leave Mutoh (at Honda's "suggestion") and Kanaan?

MDS
25th September 2009, 17:26
As far as I know the Honda money is moving to de Ferran and Kannan is set with 7-11 for another year.

Maybe Hedki will move to de Ferran's, which would probably be a step up for him, or maybe the Honda money goes to Sato, and he's done. Hedki is a good driver, but if he loses Formula Dream funding who knows.

SoCalPVguy
25th September 2009, 17:55
3rd Sep 09, 09:55
Danica will sign with AGR, it is not her 'best' deal, it is her her ONLY deal.

As I wrote back on 9/3/09... this is the only deal available to her. All the other crapola like Nascar, etc... ws just noise from IMG testing the waters of which they found barren.

EagleEye
25th September 2009, 18:00
I'm not surprised by this at all.

I would say this clearly boosts Franck Montagny's chance of getting a full-time ride with Andretti racing next year as they clearly need someone with is technical experience and ability, and with the Boost/Motorola money there is a better chance of putting a guy like him in the fourth seat to help with feed the setup need for Marco and Danica

Your crystal ball must have recieved a good polish. ;) FYI, Formula Dream is Honda money, and is going to DeFerran as you indicated. I does not look like Mutoh will follow.

Jag_Warrior
25th September 2009, 18:41
Damn, I guess that means no NASCAR_Warrior :D

Aw shucks! Well, guys... I was thiiiis close to a name change. :D

DBell
25th September 2009, 18:50

To quote Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much". (holds finger and thumb an inch apart) :D

Easy Drifter
26th September 2009, 01:01
Ok now who starts the rumour AG will sign Nelson P Jr. to be Stompin Danica's teamate.

I am not, repeat not, starting this rumour!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

beachbum
26th September 2009, 01:09
To quote Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much". (holds finger and thumb an inch apart) :D ;)

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 01:55
No Salma, either. Sorry, dude....

:p

ClarkFan

ClarkFan
27th September 2009, 01:56
Ok now who starts the rumour AG will sign Nelson P Jr. to be Stompin Danica's teamate.

I am not, repeat not, starting this rumour!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I would pay serious money to see a cage match between Nelson Sr. and Michael.......

;)

ClarkFan

V12
27th September 2009, 02:09
Shame :( wish she'd just leave, it would make it more watchable.

EagleEye
27th September 2009, 04:06
Your crystal ball must have recieved a good polish. ;) FYI, Formula Dream is Honda money, and is going to DeFerran as you indicated. I does not look like Mutoh will follow.

A rumor that was discussed at the track here is that Mutoh/American Dream is still in play at AGR, as DeFerran wants more money than what AGR has had in the past from AD. What is confusing is why AGR would keep Mutoh if AD stays while DeFerran has talked about using other drivers.

There is a lot of anger on the side of the owners, with the current Versus TV ratings, and there are several high level meetings being planned to discuss the situation.

NickFalzone
27th September 2009, 04:10
I've been wondering, what about the Speed channel? The F1 ratings on there seem to be pretty low, and I believe F1 charges quite a bit to air their races. I think the IRL could get a little bit better ratings and probably do it for cheaper licensing fee. I like the Versus broadcast and also watch WEC/MMA on there, but I'm concerned as others are that the IRL ratings issues are going to make sponsorship extremely difficult in this offseason. If the tv package means several less cars on the grid, that would be very disappointing.

TURN3
27th September 2009, 06:00
A rumor that was discussed at the track here is that Mutoh/American Dream is still in play at AGR, as DeFerran wants more money than what AGR has had in the past from AD. What is confusing is why AGR would keep Mutoh if AD stays while DeFerran has talked about using other drivers.

There is a lot of anger on the side of the owners, with the current Versus TV ratings, and there are several high level meetings being planned to discuss the situation.

From an complete outsiders point of view, it sure smells like something is up with the TV package. Versus coverage has been great but we all have to face it...sponsors are turning their backs with this package. If they stay with the current packagek, IRL will fail.

indycool
27th September 2009, 14:32
I don't see sponsors turning their backs on the package. APEX Brasil, for example, has jumped right in. So has Izod.

TURN3
27th September 2009, 16:02
I don't see sponsors turning their backs on the package. APEX Brasil, for example, has jumped right in. So has Izod.

Is that supposed to be sarcastic? Are you joking? You have 2 sponsors looking at being involved, maybe a few others literally...but that is a PROBLEM. Even Penske can't find a sponsor for Will and runs Team Penske on the sides of his cars (although a deep relationship goes back with PM). AGR can't find anything from Marco and relys on Honda to support Mutoh (which the are probably losing). Many drivers and team owners have stated they can't get anything without a better TV deal...they ARE NOT HAPPY because no sponsors want in. See Paul Tracy Twitter for 1 public example.

indycool
27th September 2009, 17:15
Don't know if they will or not, but their participation was supposedly multiyear. Plus, people like that aren't stupid. In the case of Brazil, a lot of their drivers are here, and have been here for a long time.

But the "I need a sponsor talk" this time of year certainly issn't a new phenomenon.

SarahFan
27th September 2009, 18:25
is the race in brazil officially a go yet?

indycool
27th September 2009, 20:26
Haven't seen it on the website, Ken. The 2010 Indy Lights schedule is on there, of course without Brazil or Motegi.

SarahFan
28th September 2009, 15:17
am i the only one that thinks we wont hear a peep out of Apex/brasil after 2010?

beachbum
28th September 2009, 17:54
am i the only one that thinks we wont hear a peep out of Apex/brasil after 2010?Yes

SarahFan
28th September 2009, 18:56
Yes

Wanna bet a pepsi?

beachbum
29th September 2009, 02:13
Wanna bet a pepsi?No

SarahFan
30th September 2009, 15:26
No

not so confident?

garyshell
30th September 2009, 20:09
To steal a line from a 60's commercial: Does she or doesn't she... only her hairdresser knows...

http://sports.myway.com/news/09302009/v0042.html

Gary

SarahFan
30th September 2009, 20:20
Well isn't that interesting

indycool
30th September 2009, 20:24
When you read that story, Gary, it sounds like she shook her head about NASCAR stuff, indicating she doesn't know what she's going to do there. The IRL responses don't quite answer the question. Sounds like Stewart is giving her good advice.

SarahFan
30th September 2009, 20:37
What story are you reading ic?

It says.....'when specifically asked about the agr 3 year extension Danica simply shook her head'

How does that have anything to with thenascar rumor?

And a side question ..... What odds do you give that apex/Brasil will be around in 2010?

garyshell
30th September 2009, 20:56
I don't know that I would read a whole lot into the story. She may just be sticking to her guns when she said she would not discuss next season until the 2009 one is over.

Gary

indycool
30th September 2009, 21:03
Ken, I don't know what odds Apex Brasil will be around in 2010 any more than I know if your restaurants are going to be around in 2010.

SarahFan
30th September 2009, 21:09
Ken, I don't know what odds Apex Brasil will be around in 2010 any more than I know if your restaurants are going to be around in 2010.

Yet you didn't hesitate to you use them as an example of stabilty sourounding the econics of the irl

curios

indycool
30th September 2009, 22:32
Nope. Like Izod, they're a new sponsor. Who can predict how long a sponsor will last? Incidentally, Brazil date is official -- March 14.

NickFalzone
30th September 2009, 22:32
For one reason or another it seems that a lot of IRL headlines have been put on hold till Homestead. That's what I think is happening here, is that she has told the sponsors (or they have told her) that the news will all be PR'ed at one during Homestead weekend. But regarding NASCAR, it sounds like she simply has not worked out a deal on that. Either no one has made reasonable offers or she's putting it off until the following season.

SarahFan
30th September 2009, 23:12
Nope. Like Izod, they're a new sponsor. Who can predict how long a sponsor will last? Incidentally, Brazil date is official -- March 14.

Where will the irl be racing?

beachbum
30th September 2009, 23:46
not so confident?I don't gamble.

Plus trying to have a discussion with someone who has made up their mind is a waste of time.

beachbum
30th September 2009, 23:46
Where will the irl be racing?In Brazil

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 00:05
In Brazil

Which city?

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 00:08
I don't gamble.

Plus trying to have a discussion with someone who has made up their mind is a waste of time.

It's a pepsi .... Can't seriosly be considered gambling!?

And my minds not made up ...., just seen enough of these deals to know the odds are less than even they will be around for any substantial amount of time

beachgirl
1st October 2009, 00:37
I don't know that I would read a whole lot into the story. She may just be sticking to her guns when she said she would not discuss next season until the 2009 one is over.

Gary She hasn't been "sticking to her guns" for the past couple months. She's been discussing next year a lot re NASCAR. At this point, she'll be lucky if she has any chair when the music stops. Some people are just too high maintenance, and eventually high maintenance people aren't always worth what they may or may not bring to the table.

beachbum
1st October 2009, 03:18
Which city?You just asked where. A more sarcastic response would have been planet earth. I take it you are a "half-empty" type of person. I tend to wait to form an opinion until some real facts are known.

I would also like to know which city, and particularly a general idea of the track layout. But we may not know that for a little while yet as it hasn't been announced and my crystal ball has a "slight" crack....

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 04:10
You just asked where. A more sarcastic response would have been planet earth. I take it you are a "half-empty" type of person. I tend to wait to form an opinion until some real facts are known.

I would also like to know which city, and particularly a general idea of the track layout. But we may not know that for a little while yet as it hasn't been announced and my crystal ball has a "slight" crack....

why a sarcastic response at all ?

IC indicated the race has been confirmed.....it's TBA as far as i know

my asking 'which city' is a completely appropriate response...yours? not so much

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 04:13

http://www.indycar.com/images/schedule/10PrintableScheduleMap.jpg

it appears the venue is still TBA

indycool
1st October 2009, 14:03
Yes, Ken, as far as I know, the venue is TBA.

But since this is a Danica thread, I think this clears the air.

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/82895/?tf=bruce_martin.tpl

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 15:36
Yes, Ken, as far as I know, the venue is TBA.

But since this is a Danica thread, I think this clears the air.

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/82895/?tf=bruce_martin.tpl

I suspect she will end up at AR...... she may evn already be signed..

frankly IMO no one else really wants her ...

but did we not read similar stories regarding Tony and TCGR last year?

indycool
1st October 2009, 16:07
We did, but only for a short time. Penske doesn't announce his until the end of the season and I expect this is much of what AGR is doing. AGR MAY not have everybody signed yet and wants to snnounce altogether. I doubt if AGR is the only one which wants her. I doubt if Penske or Ganassi do, but there might be some others, if for no other reason than she brings in money. AGR will give her better race cars, though.

SarahFan
1st October 2009, 16:25
We did, but only for a short time. Penske doesn't announce his until the end of the season and I expect this is much of what AGR is doing. AGR MAY not have everybody signed yet and wants to snnounce altogether. I doubt if AGR is the only one which wants her. I doubt if Penske or Ganassi do, but there might be some others, if for no other reason than she brings in money. AGR will give her better race cars, though.

my opinion is its more similar to her attempt at viral marketing surrounding the "Boosting" of her motorola car....

look how that turned out

SarahFan
11th October 2009, 17:18
Did I miss it?

or did Danica announce her A(G)R contract this weekend?

DavePI2
11th October 2009, 17:36
too bad, I had hoped she was gone. Tony is the one who should think about changing teams to one who recognises his abilities and doesn't make him third fiddle behind two incompetent drivers.

Jag_Warrior
11th October 2009, 20:07
Tony is the one who should think about changing teams to one who recognises his abilities and doesn't make him third fiddle behind two incompetent drivers.

Agreed!

NickFalzone
11th October 2009, 22:23
Danica did say a couple times in her post-race interview that she'll be back next season, but as usual made no other specifics known. My guess is there's still some haggling on some small detail of the AGR contract. And TK aint going anywhere, he's not getting great cars or all that much help from his teammates, but he signed a very lucrative 5-year deal with AGR that will very much put him in a great situation for retirement. He'll get a decent car next season, AGR just had an off year. Bigger question is Hideki and Marco, the latter of which really did not step up his game this season as some expected.

indycool
11th October 2009, 23:32
'Bout it, Nick. I'd guess a deal is probably done with Danica but AGR, like Penske, hasn't announced until they have their whole program together for next year.