View Full Version : Sauber reunited with ferrari for 2010

jonny hurlock
24th September 2009, 21:39
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152622/1/ferrari_engine_deal_for_bmw_for_2010.html

please hope so,

Sonic
24th September 2009, 21:41
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78822

Mario Theissen has confirmed that the BMW Sauber team will be Ferrari powered if it can get a place in the 2010 field under its new ownership.

Its like the last five years never happened! :rolleyes:

jonny hurlock
24th September 2009, 21:45
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135161 2 mins too late

ioan
24th September 2009, 21:50
Great! :)
They did well with Ferrari in the past, almost as good as BMW managed.

ioan
24th September 2009, 21:51
I hope so too. :)

Sonic
24th September 2009, 22:13
As you beat me by 2 mins I bow to your awesomeness! :D Perhaps the powers that be could merge the threads??

VkmSpouge
24th September 2009, 22:41
Well at least it isn't Cosworth engine deal. Quite a logical choice by the team to go back to their previous engine supplier. Sauber-Ferrari sounds good :)

keysersoze
24th September 2009, 22:52
Maybe they could farm out Fisichella to the team as part of the deal, then develop a young driver like they said they were going to do in the first place.

CNR
24th September 2009, 22:53
will we see Fisichella as one of the drivers next year
like when massa was a ferrari test driver

V12
24th September 2009, 22:53
Good news, I've nothing against Cosworth and in fact I love it that they are back in F1 where they belong, but it would be soo depressing if they powered EVERY "new" entrant.

christophulus
24th September 2009, 23:59
Well at least it isn't Cosworth engine deal. Quite a logical choice by the team to go back to their previous engine supplier.

But if the FIA accepts this, why were they so strict on forcing the other new entrants to take on the Cosworth engine?

One rule for some..

ioan
25th September 2009, 00:12
But if the FIA accepts this, why were they so strict on forcing the other new entrants to take on the Cosworth engine?

One rule for some..

There's no such rule, the newcomers were bullied into a Cosworth deal, Sauber are not letting that happen as they know that the rules are on their side.

What about Dr. Theissen? Will he become a Sauber man or will he continue to be head of BMW Motorsport?

truefan72
25th September 2009, 00:56
interesting

good news, looks like Sauber is back, mixed feelings on the ferrari engine deal,what about the massive group that manage the current bmw engine, could they not rebadge i and call it something else. That engine/powertrain was pretty good, except for some minor gearing issues, which seem to have been resolved,. The issue was the aero package on the car. It seems like a waste to dump those engines, given that they will be pretty much the same thing next year.

bad news, i hope theissen is not going to be retained. He is squarely to blame for the teams current predicament. If he had simply registered the team before making the announcement, things would have been different as well.

ioan
25th September 2009, 01:44
interesting

good news, looks like Sauber is back, mixed feelings on the ferrari engine deal,what about the massive group that manage the current bmw engine, could they not rebadge i and call it something else. That engine/powertrain was pretty good, except for some minor gearing issues, which seem to have been resolved,. The issue was the aero package on the car. It seems like a waste to dump those engines, given that they will be pretty much the same thing next year.

You're right those BMW engines are great for producing smoke screens like we saw it 2 weeks ago, certainly 'better' than the Ferrari engine! :rotflmao:

bad news, i hope theissen is not going to be retained. He is squarely to blame for the teams current predicament. If he had simply registered the team before making the announcement, things would have been different as well.

Maybe one day, in your world :p :, you will understand that the BMW board of directors did not want the Concorde agreement to be signed by BMW F1, so it wasn't up to Mario Theissen to do it.

Saint Devote
25th September 2009, 01:51
And if Sauber get a berth on the grid perhaps it will allow Ferrari to place Massa as team leader while it retains Raikkonen and hires Alonso.

ioan
25th September 2009, 01:56
And if Sauber get a berth on the grid perhaps it will allow Ferrari to place Massa as team leader while it retains Raikkonen and hires Alonso.

According to Luca di Montezemolo there is one driver that is sure to be a Ferrari driver in 2010 and his name is Felipe Massa the other one is to be announced and is a choice between Alonso and Raikkonen:

"A Spanish or a Finnish driver? We'll take some decisions within a few weeks," he was quoted as saying by La Stampa.

"What's certain is that we'll have a Brazilian driver who deserves another chance, because thank God he is fine now. As for the rest, we are pondering over the best choice."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78805

I guess that if they come to a suitable agreement with Kimi for him to leave, probably with Santander paying him off, than Alonso will be the one to partner Massa in 2010 at Ferrari.

Robinho
25th September 2009, 09:43
Raikkonen and Fisi for Sauber seats? Alonso to Ferrari with Massa, Kubica to Mclaren, Heidfield to Renault, Kovy to Williams to partner the staying Rosberg - how does that sound?

truefan72
25th September 2009, 10:00
Raikkonen and Fisi for Sauber seats? Alonso to Ferrari with Massa, Kubica to Mclaren, Heidfield to Renault, Kovy to Williams to partner the staying Rosberg - how does that sound?

hmm, a bit twisted I'd say

Kimi to mclaren, if not mclaren then toyota

I think kubica is staying put, if not then to toyota
Rosberg stays at williams one more year if they get the mercedes engines or Renault.

Heidfeld is probably off to a new team, or possibly Torro rosso, if Buemi goes to Sauber

kovy is probably back at renault, or at a new team, Nakajima probably gets one more year at Williams. If not, he might be with a new team.

Dave B
25th September 2009, 11:29
I said all along that Ferrari should use the remnants of BMW as a "B" team, and maybe this is their way in.

Sonic
25th September 2009, 13:13
It seems very logical to place Fissi back at Sauber that way if (gods forebid) something happens to a race driver next year they will at least have a race ready stand in.

I cannot see Kimi returning to the team - way too much of a step down. IMO he'll be at one of three teams next year - Ferrari, McLaren or Toyota.

seb_sh
25th September 2009, 23:12
This is the best outcome for Sauber, they will have a good engine next year and no KERS so they stand a chance of making a good chassis. Fisichella is a maybe I'm not sure Sauber will want him. As for Kimi I think he's going to McLaren but the silly season really is in full swing atm with all but a few seats confirmed and it's really anyone's guess what's going to happen. Alonso, Raikkonen, Rosberg, Kubica are all hot property this year.

jens
27th September 2009, 10:32
Hasn't Heidfeld hinted that he is intending to stay at Sauber or... should I call it Qadbak now? :)

Anyway, good news that the future has at least partly been sorted out (new owner + engine). They just have to be on the grid next year.