PDA

View Full Version : Silly seasson -- what will Penske do?

indycool
24th September 2009, 03:09
This being the time of silly season, was curious to know what other posters think about what Penske's plans might be.

We've all seen him unload Mike Thackwell, Kevin Cogan and Paul Tracy and campaign, sometimes under difficulty, to keep Mears, Bobby Unser, Helio, etc.

But what does this Homestead race mean for Briscoe and the status of Power? Is Briscoe solid rain or shine......does Power saddle up a third car for the season....does Power go elsewhere or stay in a part-time "Mears start" role.....does Briscoe go haywire at Homestead and blow himself up?

Thoughts?

beachgirl
24th September 2009, 03:28
Briscoe's safe, and Power will replace Happy Feet.

NickFalzone
24th September 2009, 04:37
Well maybe I'm in the minority here, but I like Helio, and I don't think there's a chance in hell that he's getting canned next season. He might opt out, for a big payday with DF, but there's no way Roger is going to kick him to the curb. What would make you even think that? I guess it could be argued that, in his heart of hearts, Roger would prefer a Power/Briscoe combo next season, but Helio is hardly an inferior to Power and I think Penske is loyal to Helio (lets not forget he just won the 500 as well and I'm sure Roger would love to have him win a 4th with his team.

indycool
24th September 2009, 10:56
I'm with you, Nick.....I don't think Helio is part of the mix at all.

SarahFan
24th September 2009, 14:51
neither helio or briscoe is going anywhere...

I think he will run Power on a partial schedule just like he did this year

SarahFan
24th September 2009, 14:52
and.... had briscoe not had that bad set of tires his face would likely be on the borg warner right now

DBell
24th September 2009, 14:55
I agree, Penske isn't going to fire Helio. I think Penske will be the same as it was this year, with Helio and Briscoe as the full time drivers and Will on a part time schedule. Will did win for Penske and was also seriously injured in a Penske car, so I don't think the team will just jettison him after this year.

EagleEye
24th September 2009, 15:09
neither helio or briscoe is going anywhere...

I think he will run Power on a partial schedule just like he did this year

They are going to do their best to get the funding to run Wil full time, but as everyone knows, money is the issue right now.

SarahFan
24th September 2009, 15:20
They are going to do their best to get the funding to run Wil full time, but as everyone knows, money is the issue right now.

I'm going to do my best to run a car in 2010 also.... money is the issue

bblocker68
24th September 2009, 16:32
Any chance of Helio going over to ride in his buddy deFerran's seat?? I really hope Will gets a full-time ride, but I don't see it happening if the Dow stays where it's at presently.

I want him to stay at Penske. Hopefully, he can do a part-time schedule and see some seat time in the Grand Am Prototype on off-weekends.

garyshell
24th September 2009, 16:47
Any chance of Helio going over to ride in his buddy deFerran's seat?? I really hope Will gets a full-time ride, but I don't see it happening if the Dow stays where it's at presently.

I want him to stay at Penske. Hopefully, he can do a part-time schedule and see some seat time in the Grand Am Prototype on off-weekends.

Aren't Gil and Roger still on good terms? I would not be at all surprised to see Roger farm out Will to Gil for a couple of seasons till he finds the funds to run him himself or Helio decides to retire or Helio or Briscoe decide to move on.

Gary

indyracefan
24th September 2009, 17:40
Aren't Gil and Roger still on good terms? I would not be at all surprised to see Roger farm out Will to Gil for a couple of seasons till he finds the funds to run him himself or Helio decides to retire or Helio or Briscoe decide to move on.

Gary

I agree. I don't see any driver changes in the Team Penske #3 & #6 and Power farmed-out to a second Luczo Dragon car or perhaps GdF until Helio retires.

chuck34
24th September 2009, 18:45
I agree. I don't see any driver changes in the Team Penske #3 & #6 and Power farmed-out to a second Luczo Dragon car or perhaps GdF until Helio retires.

That's pretty much what I would suspect. Add to that at least a few drives in Roger's Grand-Am car.

EagleEye
24th September 2009, 19:20
:cool:

inimitablestoo
24th September 2009, 19:31
I'd been wondering about the dynamic at Team Penske if Briscoe wins the title. Helio will have been there ten years by the end of the season - and potentially seen three team-mates win championships while he hasn't won any. I agree that I don't see Penske dropping him for next year, especially given the unusual circumstances surrounding his '09 season, but if they do expand to a three-car line-up with Power next year, they could just as easily go back to two the following year, and Helio might find himself outside of that. Just ask Paul Tracy about 1995. And even if they don't, Power looks a good long-term bet for one of the red-and-whites.

disko
24th September 2009, 21:52
helios a 3x indy winner. rogers all about indy. I think helio is the best at the speedway. if it werent for AJ4 holding him up, he would be a 4x winner. he was flawless this year. pole, pits, race.

remember that gusty / windy pole day that helio went out and put it on the pole? the guy just knows how to get around that place.

Don't you want the exposure of the next 4x indy winner?

And for helio, he has the 'best' seat. why go anywhere else. Penske gives a driver the best chance to win every week. why would he leave?

power to Deferran

Chamoo
24th September 2009, 22:59
The only reason I could see Helio leaving Penske is because of the number of failures he has had on his car. I can recall 2 or 3 times in the last couple of months that the suspension has given out on his car. It's very odd that Penske cars have part failures, and hasn't happened much at all, especially with Briscoe.

Helio might be fed up with the part failures and see DFM as an adequate option. But it would be tough for him to leave one of the top 4 seats in Indycars.

My gut tells me Will Power will be driving full time for Penske next year beside Briscoe and Helio.

indyracefan
24th September 2009, 23:05
Don't forget either that Tim Cindric, who will soon be acquiring controlling interest in Team Penske, and Helio are 'tight'.

chuck34
25th September 2009, 01:43
The only reason I could see Helio leaving Penske is because of the number of failures he has had on his car. I can recall 2 or 3 times in the last couple of months that the suspension has given out on his car. It's very odd that Penske cars have part failures, and hasn't happened much at all, especially with Briscoe.

Helio might be fed up with the part failures and see DFM as an adequate option. But it would be tough for him to leave one of the top 4 seats in Indycars.

My gut tells me Will Power will be driving full time for Penske next year beside Briscoe and Helio.

Maybe I'm missing something, but all the "part failures" I can think of happened after contact with another car. Please steer me to some examples.

chuck34
25th September 2009, 01:44
Don't forget either that Tim Cindric, who will soon be acquiring controlling interest in Team Penske, and Helio are 'tight'.

Really? That makes total sense, but I don't rember hearing about that. Any links or what-not? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

indyracefan
25th September 2009, 02:06
Cindric has slowly been buying into Penske Racing to take over the reigns at Team Penske when Roger finally retires. I don't have any direct links however that information has been reported in the past.

bravefish
25th September 2009, 10:00
Three car team - full race schedule for Power

beachbum
25th September 2009, 12:31
Three car team - full race schedule for PowerMost teams would be delighted to have the dilemma that Penske has with 3 proven winners who can still win.

A three car team would be the least surprising outcome. I think Power is still a driver for the future of Penske and at 34, Helio isn't young anymore (weird to think 34 is 'old' but in today's racing world, it is). So adding a third car for Power makes sense. If anyone goes to a partial schedule, it might be Helio. He just seems to have lost a little edge this year, but he is still a contender, especially at Indy, and I don't see Penske pushing him out to pasture.

Chris R
25th September 2009, 13:02
Really? Penske wouldn't make sure the team passed to one of his children?? - just curious if this is something you suspect or know.....

indycool
25th September 2009, 14:17
Penske is always said to be thinking way ahead of everyone else, so none of us probably have the answer.

But I can remember Sneva winning two straight titles for him in the late '70s and becoming the first to go over 200 at Indy and parting company because he won the '78 title without winning a race.

SarahFan
25th September 2009, 15:34
Really? Penske wouldn't make sure the team passed to one of his children?? - just curious if this is something you suspect or know.....

its been reported that Cindric will be, actually has been purchasing the team

indyracefan
26th September 2009, 19:52

Greg Penske, former Penske Racing and Fontana Speedway president now is in charge of Penske's California Automotive Group as well as being on the Board of Directors for ISC & Alltell.

Jay Penske has his own team, Luczo Dragon Racing.

As already stated Tim Cindric has slowly been purchasing Team Penske and is rumored to have 45% as of now.

Chamoo
27th September 2009, 00:30
Greg Penske, former Penske Racing and Fontana Speedway president now is in charge of Penske's California Automotive Group as well as being on the Board of Directors for ISC & Alltell.

Jay Penske has his own team, Luczo Dragon Racing.

As already stated Tim Cindric has slowly been purchasing Team Penske and is rumored to have 45% as of now.

Yea, and I would think that Roger will keep 51% until he is ready to get out of it.

Penske's kids have their own resources to do their own thing if they so choose. See Jay Penske who will most likely partially own a team that will compete with Penske Racing in 2 or 3 years.

penske15
29th September 2009, 03:06
you know....eveyones talking helio getting fired. what happens if helio just wants to be the uncontested number one somewhere else? deferran perhaps? it's just a thought. he brings a ####load (sh@load) of experience, talent and the ability to immeadiately win. this is VERY much what d.m.s. would want to find a baseline and quick. i think it's resonable he'll go to deferran of his own accord, though i cannot imagine why you'd ever willingly leave a penske ride.

nigelred5
29th September 2009, 03:24
though i cannot imagine why you'd ever willingly leave a penske ride."

ding ding ding. He won't

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2009, 17:09

Ya...but you are broke. Roger I think can entice sponsors. You just drone on about the evils of the IRL on VS.

Helio isn't going anywhere. If Roger was going to dump Helio, he could have done it when Helio was sitting in a court room last winter. Outside of the Danica, he is the best known face to the general public in the IRL.

Chris R
6th October 2009, 12:59
its been reported that Cindric will be, actually has been purchasing the team

ok, I didn't know that.... interesting.....