PDA

View Full Version : Mklein's new Group B book 999 euro!

sal
23rd September 2009, 09:55
http://www.thegroupbbook.com/

I'm a big collector of rally books but think I will be unable to shell out £900+ for the new twin volume version of Mklein's Group B book. Obviously this is primarily aimed at members of the Slowly Sideways club so I guess if you can afford to run a Group B car then this amount of money is small beer!

Barreis
23rd September 2009, 10:15
For that money You can rent rally car and try..

Leon
23rd September 2009, 11:07
http://www.thegroupbbook.com/

I'm a big collector of rally books but think I will be unable to shell out £900+ for the new twin volume version of Mklein's Group B book. Obviously this is primarily aimed at members of the Slowly Sideways club so I guess if you can afford to run a Group B car then this amount of money is small beer!

I am also a collector of rally books and I have this dilemma since I read the original Group B book....

maybe lottery will save us

Francis44
23rd September 2009, 11:11
That's alot off money!!!! May be an interesting deal for ex-rally drivers wo want to remember the old days!!!!

Josti
23rd September 2009, 13:04
I thought the "Rise and Fall of Group B" was a great book, with good insights and opinions on the matter, plus it had a great collection of McKlein images.

Having read that one, I'm eager to duck my nose into this one, and I think even though it's extremely pricey, it's defenitly worth it too. I do think it's mostly meant for people involved (as Sal said) and that it's more or less a collectors item. I heared the circulation of the book is only minimal too.

But anyway, too expensive for me at the moment...

rx-guru
23rd September 2009, 18:52
Oops, just saw in the intro Michéle (Mouton) instead of Michèle.
That differs from the so-called "deutsche Gründlichkeit"… ;)

Langdale Forest
23rd September 2009, 19:35
It's cheaper watching the review DVD of WRC 1985.

FAL
23rd September 2009, 19:45
Well, it needs to be a big book if it is genuinely covering the subject - virtually anything on 4 wheels that couldn't meet the criteria for GpN or A in 1982 was homologated into GpB, not just a few so-called "supercars".

Barreis
23rd September 2009, 19:49
Maybe book is homologated.. xd

Nenukknak
23rd September 2009, 19:50
I always like the books by mcKlein, but a lot of times I find them too expensive for what you actually get.

Expect a lot of data/statistics on WRC/ERC/NationalRC, and other results. That will fill up a lot of pages. Also pictures, which a lot of will not be new.

When I first read about this book (about a year ago) I really wanted to have it, now I just don't think it is worth the money, despite there undoubtedly being some interesting stories/anecdotes from those involved. But for 999euro you expect a lot, and with pictures and statistics you can find anywhere taking a large part of the substance, that's a hefty price tag.

BDunnell
23rd September 2009, 20:31
Well, it needs to be a big book if it is genuinely covering the subject - virtually anything on 4 wheels that couldn't meet the criteria for GpN or A in 1982 was homologated into GpB, not just a few so-called "supercars".

I agree. I'd add that there is simply no way that charging that much for a book can be justified, no matter how high the production costs were.

cut the b.s.
23rd September 2009, 20:37
I always like the books by mcKlein, but a lot of times I find them too expensive for what you actually get.

Expect a lot of data/statistics on WRC/ERC/NationalRC, and other results. That will fill up a lot of pages. Also pictures, which a lot of will not be new.

When I first read about this book (about a year ago) I really wanted to have it, now I just don't think it is worth the money, despite there undoubtedly being some interesting stories/anecdotes from those involved. But for 999euro you expect a lot, and with pictures and statistics you can find anywhere taking a large part of the substance, that's a hefty price tag.

His 'Rally' and 'Rally Cars' books are superb, this book is limited to 500, its not aimed at the masses, which is a shame really as it will most likely be a fantastic book but most of them will never be opened as people will be protecting their 'investment'...

Langdale Forest
23rd September 2009, 21:46

Were cars like Toyota Celica TCT and Nissan 240RZ Group b but not 'supercars'?

Josti
23rd September 2009, 22:06
Were cars like Toyota Celica TCT and Nissan 240RZ Group b but not 'supercars'?

Yes they were, but mainly the four-wheel drive 450-500 bhp Group B's were called 'Supercars' (Sport Quattro, 205 T16, Delta S4), but keep in mind that it's no official naming.

N.O.T
23rd September 2009, 22:36
nice rip off....but didn;t expect better.

C64WDU
23rd September 2009, 23:39
I really would love to get this book, Im considering selling alot of my non rally car model collection to fund it.

Lousada
24th September 2009, 09:12
A 1000 euros for one book is just insane. I don't think this book will be 20 times more informative than the "common-people" version they made a few years ago. From the preview pages and preview index, this book seems largely picture driven, not so much indepth study of the history.

If the price wasn't enough to put me off, all those typos on the website sure are.

N.O.T
24th September 2009, 11:45
I really would love to get this book, Im considering selling alot of my non rally car model collection to fund it.

i am thinking of selling my kidney...

Xsara Fan
24th September 2009, 13:03
It` s crazy! May be in 1986 this book could cost £900 but not now. Cause you could find all information in Internet...

I have great idea for McKlein - I think they must made new book with price £90000000 and made it limited to 1 book.

sal
24th September 2009, 13:46
Overheard someone saying once that Mr K's sons are main motivators behind making as much as possible from Daddy's archive! Guess they must still be sore with Dad for letting Konemann sell "Rally Cars" at £20 a pop which was the bargain of the Century.

A rally book like this I think was inevitable following on from the F1 book that was produced a couple of years back by Bernie and co although some of those were so expensive you didnt even take ownership of the book and you had to make an appointment to look at it as it was locked up in a bank vault normally!

Mcklein having been buying up archives from a number of well known snappers from the 70s and 80s including a number of high profile Brits so guess they will have plenty to go at although when you've got a number of Klein books the same images do tend to appear now and again.

They have tried it before with a version of the Safari book they produced a few years ago with a special edition covered in Antelope pelt and featuring a specific year chosen by the purchaser with images that didnt appear in the standard version.Those are still for sale.

I love rally books having over 200 but I think I wont be shelling out that amount!

Barreis
24th September 2009, 16:00
They will sell amount of books to real fans and that's what they thought about in first place.. The plan will be released..

N
24th September 2009, 18:20
don't forget to add around 50 eur for postage :)

You must admit it's pretty cool to have them personally signed:
"Each book is hand-signed by former works drivers and the author Reinhard Klein"

I guess this won't be one of those books you can find on t0rrent sites 3 days after it goes on sale :D

N.O.T
24th September 2009, 18:30
don't forget to add around 50 eur for postage :)

You must admit it's pretty cool to have them personally signed:
"Each book is hand-signed by former works drivers and the author Reinhard Klein"

I guess this won't be one of those books you can find on t0rrent sites 3 days after it goes on sale :D

yes we might even hhave to wait a whole month for it...

i think i ll just pay the 999$ then.....

Barreis
24th September 2009, 19:36
I'll rather give that money to homeless.. They learnt very well: GIVEEEE MEEEE ALLL YOUUU GOTTT..