PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new forums

Mark_temp
5th December 2006, 12:22
You are welcome to post here, as long as you don't mind living in a building site for a while.

Lots of things don't work at the moment, such as smilies etc, not to mention partner site styles etc. All these will come.

The bad news is that unfortunately it proved impossible despite a big effort to import the threads / posts from the old forum. The best we could do was to get the forums and usernames. SO we'll basically be starting from the start here. It was either this or stay with vb2 for the rest of time! It's not ideal but maybe sometime down the line that'll be sorted out.

Please feel free to start posting, and point out stuff which doesn't work, which is likely to be lots!

Daniel
5th December 2006, 12:26
You are welcome to post here, as long as you don't mind living in a building site for a while.

Lots of things don't work at the moment, such as smilies etc, not to mention partner site styles etc. All these will come.

The bad news is that unfortunately it proved impossible despite a big effort to import the threads / posts from the old forum. The best we could do was to get the forums and usernames. SO we'll basically be starting from the start here. It was either this or stay with vb2 for the rest of time! It's not ideal but maybe sometime down the line that'll be sorted out.

Please feel free to start posting, and point out stuff which doesn't work, which is likely to be lots!

Where's my world rallying subforum? :cool:

Smilies on this page don't work.

http://70.47.127.172/forums/misc.php?do=showsmilies

pino
5th December 2006, 12:27
Thanks for the welcome :D

DonJippo
5th December 2006, 12:29

There was so much rubbish anyway so maybe it's better this way ...

Robinho
5th December 2006, 12:30
ooh, this is nice, lets get busy on the post count, at least we'll have a load of milestones again, (100th, 1000th, 10,000th etc)

Mark_temp
5th December 2006, 12:33
Post counts are maintained, until I press the wrong button and they all disappear!

Daniel
5th December 2006, 12:37
Just wondering how long it will be till the whole partner system is up and running? Just means Caroline and myself need to make sure we're signed in as ourselves when we post that's all :p

martinbalmer
5th December 2006, 12:46
Smilies on this page don't work.

http://70.47.127.172/forums/misc.php?do=showsmilies

Accept for :p at the moment!

Robinho
5th December 2006, 12:53
Post counts are maintained, until I press the wrong button and they all disappear!

except yours apparently, i've got 2600+ you only seem to have 10, i'm sure i've seen more than that!

Powered by Cosworth
5th December 2006, 13:03
Mark_temp is a new username ;)

Mark
5th December 2006, 13:04
I had to have a different username to set up the forums I think I'm myself again now!

Mikeall
5th December 2006, 13:06
Only 10 posts on a page it seems.

Robinho
5th December 2006, 13:09
just found a setting under USER CP and OPTIONS to change the number of posts per page

[Madeira-Rally]
5th December 2006, 13:51
Why motorsport forum have changed... ???

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 14:14
What the hell, is going on!!!

Is this the actual forum or still a temporay one?

Can we not recover any threads.
Who has the best accent?
What's the greatest sport?
Battle of the bands?
:cry: :cry: :cry:

What about the classic threads?
Pickems next one to be banned
Interview the person below you?

:cry:

Mark
5th December 2006, 14:16

Is this the actual forum or still a temporay one?

This is the real deal

Can we not recover any threads.

Eventually, but they will not appear here, they may appear in an archive forum of some sort.

Who has the best accent?

Me!

What's the greatest sport?

Motosport!

Interview the person below you?
:

They will live again (if someone starts them)

martinbalmer
5th December 2006, 14:22

:cry:

If there is no automated spam then that thread might have to slow down :p

Daniel
5th December 2006, 14:24
If there is no automated spam then that thread might have to slow down :p

Then it can go back to it's original purpose. Reporting nutters who come to post rubbish and be racist, rude, insulting and so on :cool:

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 14:27
Will the forum get a different design, colour scheme. This one is too cold and too simalar to the ten-tenths forum!!

martinbalmer
5th December 2006, 14:30
Will the forum get a different design, colour scheme. This one is too cold and too simalar to the ten-tenths forum!!

Yes. Give the poor man some time to get it all working... He did say "Wednesday at the earliest" after all... :)

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 14:39
Maybe Mark could attempt to type up the entire old forum onto this one. ;)

Will there still be some changes on here in the near future?

Powered by Cosworth
5th December 2006, 14:41
Distinguished Roads ftw ;)

Mark in Oshawa
5th December 2006, 14:49
Listen, I have no problem with you guys upgrading these boards. I love them, It is a hobby to come on here and get into arguments with people over racing, and to identify with those fans I do envy and agree with. In short, I love the forums, but when you destroy every last thread, it wrecks the conversations.

Not to mention the fact I quoted your thread on another bulletin board up here in Canada to back up an argument!!! No matter, We will survive, but I am just very dismayed at why you had to do this with no warning. None of us had any idea this was coming, and you could have saved us a lot of anger if we, the users of the board were kept in the picture.

Daniel
5th December 2006, 14:54
There was notification. Perhaps some people should visit the forum feedback section rather than just staying in their little section. You can have a lot of fun when you come into chit chat and forum feedback and you get to understand the forum a lot better. Just for the record Mark has said he will be putting the "old" forum posts online but they won't be on this forum as such but you will still be able to look at your old posts :)

mikiec
5th December 2006, 14:59
I realised after I set up this username many years ago that I should have had something different, but I've never been able to change it. As we're starting afresh, can I take the opportunity to change it now please?!

Mark
5th December 2006, 15:01
You could have changed it at any time anyway. Send me a PM and I'll get it done.

mikiec
5th December 2006, 15:01
You could have changed it at any time anyway. Send me a PM and I'll get it done.

Could I? Oh, bugger! Never mind.... PM on it's way, ta!

Mark
5th December 2006, 15:03
Listen, I have no problem with you guys upgrading these boards. I love them, It is a hobby to come on here and get into arguments with people over racing, and to identify with those fans I do envy and agree with. In short, I love the forums, but when you destroy every last thread, it wrecks the conversations.

Not to mention the fact I quoted your thread on another bulletin board up here in Canada to back up an argument!!! No matter, We will survive, but I am just very dismayed at why you had to do this with no warning. None of us had any idea this was coming, and you could have saved us a lot of anger if we, the users of the board were kept in the picture.

It's not for the want of trying, attempts were made from Monday morning through until Tuesday lunchtime, but the server just wasn't having it. In fact I got thrown off the web host at one point for using too many database resources! It's not a descision that was taken lightly.

clydekart
5th December 2006, 15:08
It seems this forum has gone from something unique in look amd content to the look of every other generic forum. My suggestion is go back to the old look and style and get rid of or amalgamate some of the forums. But, I may be wrong so I hope this new slyle works for you.

I remember F1.com before it was sold to F1 was a great site, but as soon as F1 obtained it, they ruined it with boring mundane material.

Dave B
5th December 2006, 15:14
It seems this forum has gone from something unique in look amd content to the look of every other generic forum. My suggestion is go back to the old look and style and get rid of or amalgamate some of the forums. But, I may be wrong so I hope this new slyle works for you.

Please read Mark (temp)'s first post: the partner styles will return. The original notice on the "old" forum stated that the new one wouldn't be up and running until "Wednesday at the earliest", so rather than complain about glitches I say give kudos to Mark for getting the job done early :up:

Daniel
5th December 2006, 15:18
Please read Mark (temp)'s first post: the partner styles will return. The original notice on the "old" forum stated that the new one wouldn't be up and running until "Wednesday at the earliest", so rather than complain about glitches I say give kudos to Mark for getting the job done early :up:

Me too. The only reason I'm slightly worried about not having partner sites around is because there are two of us using the the same PC and we don't usually swap windows user accounts so there's going to be some confusion :p

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 15:19
So this is the new look?
Mine has a big VBulletin logo at the top left side and light blue and white is the color all around.
Thanks again Mark for the taking care of and upgrading of our forum home.

race

:)

viper_man
5th December 2006, 15:22
First things first, good job Mark.

Secondly, lets get some things straight....

1) Are all of the smilies now working?

2) Did anyone else have to reset their password as I did?

3) Is this now the permanent home of the forums?

4) If so I reckon it looks pretty cool like this, perhaps a vote or poll on a new colour scheme as not everyone will agree?

5) I noticed something in the profile bit about avatars, are we able to have them now?

6) Whats the adding rep thing? Seen it in other forums but dont get it.

clydekart
5th December 2006, 15:24
"Please read Mark (temp)'s first post: the partner styles will return. The original notice on the "old" forum stated that the new one wouldn't be up and running until "Wednesday at the earliest", so rather than complain about glitches I say give kudos to Mark for getting the job done early"

I'm not complaining, constructive criticism is how things get better.

Mark
1) Are all of the smilies now working?

Yes, should be.

2) Did anyone else have to reset their password as I did?

Well you do have to log in again.

3) Is this now the permanent home of the forums?

Yes.

4) If so I reckon it looks pretty cool like this, perhaps a vote or poll on a new colour scheme as not everyone will agree?

The colour scheme will be changed for each partner site.

5) I noticed something in the profile bit about avatars, are we able to have them now?

No, they'll probably be used for flags, tho.

6) Whats the adding rep thing? Seen it in other forums but dont get it.

When you figure it out, let us know :p

viper_man
Were arguing already, fantastic! (to previous post)

viper_man
5th December 2006, 15:26
Whats that mean then, for each partner site?

With my password thingy, I had to set a new one and couldnt use my normal one.

And whats all the numbers in the quoting thing!

martinbalmer
5th December 2006, 15:30

Indeed I did post that also, on the previous page... But, since people keep posting the same thing, it looks like a good excuse for big text :p

This Is Not The Final Look of the Forums.

Partner sites and colours will return once Mark has sorted it all out.

Old Posts Will Eventually Be Available Online.

Via a separate archive forum. To be honest, it will be good to have a clean-up here and freshen everything up. Users with no posts have also gone, but since they never ever posted anything (and most were spam accounts half the time) that shouldn't bother anyone.

noel157
5th December 2006, 15:48
Mark & Co, good work on the new site and I'm sure everybody will be happy...eventually. If they're not, hard luck.

ArrowsFA1
5th December 2006, 15:53
I think I'm myself again now!
Are you sure!!!

Nice work Mark.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 16:01
What was wrong with old forum anyway?

If it's not brocken don't fix it! ;)

mom
5th December 2006, 16:14
"What about the classic threads?
Pickems next one to be banned"

OMG, I went out as a classic!

AndySpeed
5th December 2006, 16:15
Upgrades are created for reasons, and I'm sure that this version of the forum software is much more secure/faster and feature rich. With the loyal and strong member base of the motorsport forums, it shouldn't be too long at all until things kick off again. :D

I'm not complaining at all, nice one Mark.

beachbum
5th December 2006, 16:17
What was wrong with old forum anyway?

If it's not brocken don't fix it! ;)

Well, it is one way to remove all of the annoying posts.

vBulletin is a common and efficient forum software with lots of options. Since it is a very popular program, it is also easy to administer (relatively) and very stable. It is almost becoming a standard for user forums. As for lost threads, it IS possible to migrate them, but the process is tedious and time consuming.

Besides, in 2 months no one will care much about the "old" threads, other than as fodder for the old "I told you so" posts.

drewdawg727
5th December 2006, 16:22
Are we gonna have an actual web address and not an IP address?

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 16:23
something different.
When you go to "Forum Jump" you have to first go to "Forums Home" before you can get to the forum of choice.

^^. . . . . just a comment, not a complaint.

The new attachment options is cool and I'm sure there are other cool options that I haven't discovered yet.

AndySpeed
5th December 2006, 16:25
Are we gonna have an actual web address and not an IP address?

We do have an actualy web address, it's http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums

Captain VXR
5th December 2006, 16:26
The forum jump only works for the user cp pm type stuff, not any forums. Thanks in advance for sorting it out :up:

SuperAguri
5th December 2006, 16:29
Looks good so far, just getting my head round all this new stuff.

jens
5th December 2006, 16:40
Meen, this situation feels so strange and unusual. From a huge forum to here...

But what is the exact reason, why the server of the previous forum broke down?

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 16:43
What's with the 'reputation" thingy?

"This post has not received any reputation.

You currently have 0 reputation point(s)."

??????

BTCC2
5th December 2006, 16:49
Why is there no Senior members anymore???

oily oaf
5th December 2006, 16:58
Why is there no Senior members anymore???

As part of the deal they were all carted off to a special home where they will spend the remainder of their naturals sitting in pools of their own bodily waste and being taken for occasional trips to the shops to buy cat food and a nice bit of brisket.

(wanders off aimlessly muttering about the war and bloody darkies)

BTCC2
5th December 2006, 16:59
As part of the deal they were all carted off to a special home where they will spend the remainder of their naturals sitting in pools of their own bodily waste and being taken for occasional trips to the shops to buy cat food and a nice bit of brisket.

(wanders off aimlessly muttering about the war and bloody darkies)

Errrrrr I was a senior member

SuperAguri
5th December 2006, 17:03
What's with the 'reputation" thingy?

"This post has not received any reputation.

You currently have 0 reputation point(s)."

??????

You see what looks like a set of scales next to the warning sign on the top right of a post?

Members can add to another member's reputation.

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 17:18
You see what looks like a set of scales next to the warning sign on the top right of a post?

Members can add to another member's reputation.

I know . . . . . I'm not quite sure what I think of having a reputation scale dictated by your fellow forumers.

. . . . so I guess I will never use it now that our posts speak for ourselves.

"smokey cool guy icon that I don't know how to type"

viper_man
5th December 2006, 17:28
But, what does it do?

trumperZ06
5th December 2006, 17:28
:D Looking good, Guys.

I'm sure once all the "gremlins" are worked out it wil be an improvement !!!

Mark, thanks for putting all the time in working on the change-over.

;) Now take some time for yourself and polish off a quart of Jack Daniels!

You have earned it !

:s mokin:

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 17:30
by the way . . .
this baby is fast!!!!!!!

hey! and it has spell check . . . . colors . . . . font size and style . . . and it even speaks!

cool.

edit: it speaks as you write . . . . not yet as you read . . . .

quicksilver
5th December 2006, 17:31
Well done Mark definitly a change for the better I reckon. :cool: Thanks :up:

kelloggs5TLfan
5th December 2006, 17:35
This is much better. Thank you.
Forum is not dragging like the old one.

viper_man
5th December 2006, 17:36
Its super fast, itll take a while to learn all these new features!

DonnieDarco
5th December 2006, 19:26
Mark, will we lose all of our private messages?

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 19:34
What's the definition of a hot thread??

schmenke
5th December 2006, 19:48
Thanks for the upgrade Mark et al! :)

Still getting accustomed to the new look and features, although the performance does seem to have improved :up: .

I too am unsure of the purpose of "Reputation" :cornfused:

cyd
5th December 2006, 20:01
Thanks for all the work, Mark. It will take us awhile to adjust to the new format. I did notice over the past month or so it seemed to be getting slower, and seems much better now.

J4MIE
5th December 2006, 20:06
I want the old :up: smilie back ;(

Everything seems to be fine, as usual not much time to play around and see what's what but no doubt I will catch up eventually :crazy:

Mp3 Astra
5th December 2006, 20:07
Mark; a special request... Can you find the "Last Word Thread" in the old word games forum and tell us who got the last post? When you have time of course. It'll put my mind at rest :)
By the way, great looking forum, and great speed as well :D

RaceFanStan
5th December 2006, 20:13
I do like this new format, good job Mark ! http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/thum/1u.gif

I hate that we lost all of our old posts, I guess we will have a fresh start.
I will be glad to see friends return, I'll start getting the word out. :D

schmenke
5th December 2006, 20:16
Mark; a special request... Can you find the "Last Word Thread" in the old word games forum and tell us who got the last post? When you have time of course. It'll put my mind at rest :)

Also Mark, if it's not too much trouble, can you dig up the stats on the "Mallet's Mallet" thread... Total number of posts/pages? Was this the longest thread?

Cheers :D

garyshell
5th December 2006, 20:21
Colors? Where di you find them???

Gary

by the way . . .
this baby is fast!!!!!!!

hey! and it has spell check . . . . colors . . . . font size and style . . . and it even speaks!

cool.

edit: it speaks as you write . . . . not yet as you read . . . .

nanders
5th December 2006, 20:30
Mark,
I could see that the site had been running slow for awhile .... I figured the data needed to be normalized. I loved being able to search back through the old post. Losing some of the threads we'd been involved in hurts.

Importing that database and having the pages resolve quickly should be do-able. If one person cannot do it there is another one who can.

This should be do-able.

Thanks for everything you've done ... but .... I'm very disappointed that technically the forum content was not brought forward. When this cannot be achived new people need to be brought in.

Now new post have started it is possible this forum can not be what it was before.

:( ((((

patnicholls
5th December 2006, 20:47
It's quicker definitely, still getting used to the look and feel but work is still going on I understand.

And I shame the old posts aren't coming back here - our forum was the nice tidy one! (Bike racing) :)

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 20:48
Colors? Where di you find them???

Gary

When you are writing a post, highlight the text- and me having a Mac, I press control and all these options appear . . . including spelling.

edit: I just realized that it doesn't keep the color . . . it reverts to black once you post . . .

race aficionado
5th December 2006, 21:00
Go to: User CP, User options, at the bottom change it to full wysiwyg.

Do what he ^^^^^^^^ said.
it's way cool!

can't find color option though . . . .

garyshell
5th December 2006, 21:36
Go to: User CP, User options, at the bottom change it to full wysiwyg.

I am already in that mode, but I don't see any options for colors???

Gary

schmenke
5th December 2006, 21:47
Colours are like chocolate cake... it's just a myth :p :

Daniel
5th December 2006, 22:03
Do what he ^^^^^^^^ said.
it's way cool!

can't find color option though . . . .

You can also copy and past pictures directly into posts without having to do IMG code :)

Mark
6th December 2006, 07:47
Colours don't work, because different partner sites have different background colours, what looks good on one background will be invisible on another.

Luffield
6th December 2006, 08:59
All my pm's have gone, and I was after old(ish) thread that had something in it that I wanted back and that's gone too!!!!!

I thought my pc was playing up again after all the issues i've had (that were explained in older threads!!!!

:eek: :eek:

Luffield
6th December 2006, 09:01
And my signature has reverted back to my old one.

:eek: :eek:

aivan
6th December 2006, 09:38
I think this is going to be an improvement.

Great work Mark et al!!!! :up:

now going to dig all the new stuff....

race aficionado
6th December 2006, 16:00
something different.
When you go to "Forum Jump" you have to first go to "Forums Home" before you can get to the forum of choice.

^^. . . . . just a comment, not a complaint.

that's been fixed :D thanks.

Dave B
6th December 2006, 16:05
Have flags just re-appeared in the last few minutes, or was I asleep before? :D

RaikkonenRules
6th December 2006, 20:14
I've just discovered that members can now add polls to any thread that they have started. :up:

Ian McC
6th December 2006, 21:59
Christ, go away for a few days and find someone has redecorated!

I like it!

Ian McC
6th December 2006, 22:01
Hmm, 'Ian McC is an unknown quantity at the moment', my wife has been saying that for ages! :D

The saddos are easy to spot now with your number of posts showing on each posting :p :

AndySpeed
6th December 2006, 22:05
Hmm, 'Ian McC is an unknown quantity at the moment', my wife has been saying that for ages! :D

The saddos are easy to spot now with your number of posts showing on each posting :p :

so, based on your date of registering and posts #, does this mean I can consider you higher up in the saddo rankings than me?

Oh yes :p : :s mokin:

martinbalmer
6th December 2006, 22:06

You said it, Mr Ian 7584 McC :p :

Ian McC
6th December 2006, 22:08
:p : to you both :D

I am just a spring chicken compared to some on here

Speedworx
6th December 2006, 23:08
Please the skins back. I miss my Team West-Tec one. Nice and dark :)

jso1985
7th December 2006, 00:20
No more senior members thingy! good!

but AFF and Luffield seems to still be one of them :s

RaikkonenRules
8th December 2006, 19:55
How come we suddenley can't make polls anymore? :(

luvracin
8th December 2006, 20:11
Wow. Looks alot more modern. cool..

Giuseppe F1
9th December 2006, 11:37
Great job Mark and Co. I too am gutted that the old threads werent transferred but appreciate how busy everyone is and that these will eventually get reinstated in an archive in time - Im just gona have a play around now and get used too all the bew features - Great job again guys

Giuseppe F1

Giuseppe F1
9th December 2006, 11:38
Ooooh - I seem to not have a nationality??! :)

SuperAguri
9th December 2006, 13:20
Go to your User CP :)