PDA

View Full Version : Anti-G unit suit in Formula 1?

gloomyDAY
19th September 2009, 05:30
Engineers are witty enough to make the cars go faster even if the FIA is trying to make them go slower. At a certain point in time will there be this style of suit available to the drivers? I think it's possible, but may be unnecessary if drivers don't encounter sustained G-force for a longer period of time.

It's a really slow weekend for me, so chime in because I have nothing to do until tomorrow.

call_me_andrew
19th September 2009, 07:09
I think you should spend your time looking to the Hick Maneuver.

Sleeper
19th September 2009, 12:59
Not anytime soon, there arent that many corners in F1 that exceed 3G lateral load.

wedge
19th September 2009, 13:32
CART's attempt to race at Texas Motor Speedway is a better example.

Mark
21st September 2009, 08:58
Absolutely no. If cornering is ever that fast that it requires a G-suit then you should slow the cars down.

In any case, it's not lateral G that is the problem, especially for short periods like in F1 corners.

Pilots have problems with vertical G either pushing or pulling blood away from their heads, but F1 cars don't usually go up and down like aircraft.

CART's problems stemmed from them running at almost constant G load on the oval track. It's a shame they were labeled as 'cowards' etc, perhaps they should try it? I guess these are the same people who think F1 is just 'sitting down'.

truefan72
21st September 2009, 23:07
Absolutely no. If cornering is ever that fast that it requires a G-suit then you should slow the cars down.

In any case, it's not lateral G that is the problem, especially for short periods like in F1 corners.

Pilots have problems with vertical G either pushing or pulling blood away from their heads, but F1 cars don't usually go up and down like aircraft.

CART's problems stemmed from them running at almost constant G load on the oval track. It's a shame they were labeled as 'cowards' etc, perhaps they should try it? I guess these are the same people who think F1 is just 'sitting down'.

agreed,

but I really don't like ovals at all. If I were cart, I would abandion them totaly except for Indy. Oval races are far from interesting, very dangerous and really not suited for open wheel racing. It would be great to have a series here ni the US that is based on tracks and can compete with other global open wheel series. The IRL and their oval series have played a major part in the demise of cart racing. It used to be quite a good series until about 8 yrs ago.

Easy Drifter
22nd September 2009, 01:28
Well CART doesn't exist anyway.
The problem at Texas was a twofold G loading and only at the speeds attained by CART. IRL run at a speed about 10 mph less where the problem does not occur.
What happened was there was a vertical G loading (drivers being pressed into the seat) combined with a horizontal G loading from the cornering force. It did not occur until speeds got close to 233 mph.
Dr. Terry Trammel's book 'Rapid Response' explains it in detail.
It has never occurred since and is unlikely to as everyone is now aware of the problem.
It is something that might occur should IRL decide to run at Daytona or Talladega but you can be sure that it would be watched for very carefully.

call_me_andrew
22nd September 2009, 05:06
If you were CART, you'd be living in a box and begging for spare change.

EDIT: And I wouldn't worry about that happening at Daytona or Talladega. Even when you trim them out all the way, those IndyCars are drag limited to 220 mph.

Mark
22nd September 2009, 08:46
Yep, at least they know there is a limit to how fast they can run around oval tracks. It's a pity that it was the already weakened CART that had to learn that costly lesson.

As for IndyCar not running oval tracks, nah, Formula 1 is the track racing series; IndyCar has historically been and should remain a mix of ovals and 'road circuits'