PDA

View Full Version : Indycar Chassis Petition

Chamoo
19th September 2009, 01:14
With all the outcry over one chassis manufacturer now, and possibly in the future, I've decided to let the IRL know how the fans feel about a single chassis running in the Indycar Series.

I've created a petition online that outlines why we as fans want to see multiple chassis' running (specifically because the IRL can control that a hell of a lot easier then multiple engines).

I don't want to get into a big long explanation about the petition here, I've written two long articles about it already today and my fingers are getting sore. So if you'd like to see my post about it, click here (http://aowrtheotherside.blogspot.com/2009/09/time-to-make-stand.html).

Then to sign the petition, either follow the link on that site, or click here to view the petition and sign (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/IndycarChassis/index.html).

I really feel that this may be one of the only ways to get through to the IRL that the fans want multiple chassis' and feel it is the best way to go into the future.

Once we get enough signatures, it will be send in to various people in the IRL head office.

Please, if you feel Indycar Racing should include multiple chassis', please sign it and pass it along to your racing friends.

Jag_Warrior
19th September 2009, 03:16
While I'd like to see multiple chassis, the issue that I'd really like to see addressed is multiple engine manufacturers. Much more attention and marketing potential would come from that. As things stand now, I have my doubts that it's going to be anything other than Honda again.

If there are significant doubts about the IRL surviving, it's going to be hard to get multiple chassis or engine manufacturers to risk the R&D $ on a (potentially) stillborn formula.

But still, this is a good effort, Chamoo.

Chamoo
19th September 2009, 03:28
While I'd like to see multiple chassis, the issue that I'd really like to see addressed is multiple engine manufacturers. Much more attention and marketing potential would come from that. As things stand now, I have my doubts that it's going to be anything other than Honda again.

If there are significant doubts about the IRL surviving, it's going to be hard to get multiple chassis or engine manufacturers to risk the R&D $ on a (potentially) stillborn formula.

But still, this is a good effort, Chamoo.

The thing about multiple chassis' is that I believe Dallara, Lola, and Panoz would all be interested, just as they were when Champ Car put out bids for their new chassis. Perhaps even someone like Cheever comes out of the woodworks with a Coyote or Walker comes out with a new Reynard.

I just believe that the IRL has a lot more control over bringing in multiple chassis manufacturers then they do about engine manufacturers, and although multiple engine and chassis' manufacturers are nessicary (I also believe tire manufacturers as well), I'll survive with atleast one of them.

Basically, if more then one manufacturer wants in, then they are stupid to say no. They wouldn't turn away an engine manufacturer would they?

And thank you Jag_Warrior, I feel this might be one of the only ways to get through to the IRL. As fans with this administration, we usually get swept to the side when our opinions are considered, perhaps this can grow to something they can't sweep under the carpet.

NickFalzone
19th September 2009, 03:39
3 engines and 2 chassis' manufacturers would make me very happy. Chances of that are about nil.

call_me_andrew
19th September 2009, 06:37
If TG had a genie, teams would have to design and build their own chassis. In the real world, no chassis builder would want to waste money in this piss hole of a series.

I can say piss hole right?

Chamoo
22nd September 2009, 18:18
If TG had a genie, teams would have to design and build their own chassis. In the real world, no chassis builder would want to waste money in this piss hole of a series.

I can say piss hole right?

I disagree, I think manufacturers would love to spend money on this series. A series with the history of using the same chassis for 7+ years and with high crash damage means you make big sales off of the same design for years on end with parts being sold over and over after cars get wadded up on the ovals.

If there were multiple chassis' manufacturers interested in the Champ Car World Series, then there would be just as many interested in the IRL I believe.

vikingraider
17th October 2009, 16:02
I disagree, I think manufacturers would love to spend money on this series. A series with the history of using the same chassis for 7+ years and with high crash damage means you make big sales off of the same design for years on end with parts being sold over and over after cars get wadded up on the ovals.

If there were multiple chassis' manufacturers interested in the Champ Car World Series, then there would be just as many interested in the IRL I believe.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, financial reality of today, would appear to make that not going to happen.

Dallara must be sitting there smiling away if you consider how old the current chassis design is, you'd have to assume all of the original investment to have designed and manufactured it, must have been long recouped, with everything else since being a nice little earner for them. Thus, why would Dallara want to either have any competition, or design a newer car?

V12
21st October 2009, 17:52
Excellent petition and blog. Signed.

It may not necessarily improve the racing (I personally believe that it would, but I can see where the other side of the argument is coming from), but it certainly wouldn't detract from it.

And as for the cost argument.... well to cut costs to the extreme it would be best to park the cars completely and not hold motor races at all. They cost money to run you know. Extreme example I know, but someone on this forum once commented about adding value rather than cutting costs, it was the first bit of "business speak" that actually resonated with me. Ever.

Then there's the "doesn't matter to the man in the street" argument, although last time I checked (looks down at crotch area) I was a man and (looks out window) I live in a street.

Variety in equipment would add interest in talking points for the hardcore fan, who contrary to popular belief SHOULD matter disproportionately to their absolute number, since they can be relied upon independently of shifting trends in general popularity. Talk about new technology, chassis competition, engine competition, tyre competition, just competition full stop interests me FAR more than talk about ratings, attendances, demographics, business models and Danica Patrick.

Jag_Warrior
21st October 2009, 19:27
but someone on this forum once commented about adding value rather than cutting costs, it was the first bit of "business speak" that actually resonated with me. Ever.

:wave: At least once a year, on every board I've been on, since about 2001.

Every business has to watch costs. But I buy on (perceived) value... not JUST on cost. It's a helluva lot cheaper (and closer) for me to go to a Saturday night, local, dirt track race than an ALMS race. But where would I rather be? And why???

As much as I've locked horns with MarkC about his "screaming V10's" idea, I'll give every dog his due: his heart was in the right place. He wanted something that would appeal to the fans. Something special. People often say that we need better racing. Well, "better" is totally subjective and means different things to different people. I'd argue that some of the best racing I have ever seen has been in Star Mazda. So where does that leave the IRL? IMO, find those special things that once appealed to the fans and try to get them back in the door.

I'm all for whatever! Tires, engines, chassis. Chat up Michelin vs. Firestone/Bridgestone. And from the standpoint of aesthetics, yeah, it would be great to see a race where every car didn't look like every other car. Remember the days?! :s mokin:

garyshell
23rd October 2009, 05:29
How about this chassis? It provides a total new look that would sure shake up the status quo, and provides LOTS of advertising space. The more I look at it the more it grows on me.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/scuderiaconchiglia/Honda_Indy_Racing_Car.jpg

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/honda_indy_racing_car.html

Gary