PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Helmets - to helmet you!!

Saint Devote
18th September 2009, 00:48
The subject of designs on drivers helmets has irked me for some time. I do not remember when it began but most of the driver’s helmets today are incredibly “busy” and the recognition that once was so easy – and happily so – is no longer there.

While a driver such as Button’s is amongst the most recognizable, Raikkonen’s helmet is to me just downright indescribable.

Also, I do not like it when drivers change their design from race to race – such as Jenson’s at Silverstone and that his personal sponsor now takes up the entire top of his “lid”.

Its so exciting to identify a driver in race a long time ago – such as an f3 or f2 or f3000 race – a good picture of the start for example.

What do you all think of this?

I know I am an old school purist but in my view a driver’s helmet is like his signature and it identifies him when nothing else around him is identifiable.

Cooper_S
18th September 2009, 11:03
Schumacher started putting the prancing horse on top of his then changed to an overall red... that prompted others teams BMW and Mercedes to put their logo on the drivers lids...

Helmets are works of art now and can change almost every race... simplicity works best... Lewis Senna-esk os potent reminder of the great mans (so is cheating a bit) Hills homage to his dads was touching, Coulthards saltaire is quite evocative and Jensons (pre Brawn yellow/black) a clever play on the union jack and his initials...

some will always work better than others

Nem14
19th September 2009, 17:43
I'm with you Saint Devote. Today's helmet paint jobs are so busy they all look very much the same, from F1 right down through the ranks of the kart racers.

Simple works. I like red flames on a black helmet myself. :-)

Dave B
19th September 2009, 18:45
I have no problem identifying the drivers by the current helmets, but that said I've always liked the Hill family's design and that of Tom Pryce.

http://www.500race.org/Men/Graham%20Hill.jpghttp://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/image/TOM_PRYCE_2971096.jpg

keysersoze
19th September 2009, 21:01
I agree Saint Devote

Favorite F1 helmets all-time:
Piquet Sr.
Carlos Reutemann
Keke Rosberg

Favorite current F1 helmet
Fisichella

Favorite helmet outside of F1:
Butch Leitzinger
Gil de Ferran

ioan
19th September 2009, 21:45
We should all cherish diversity instead of slamming it for some petty reasons.

BDunnell
19th September 2009, 22:40
I am all for diversity if there's creativity involved, but there is a difference between that and today's forgettable drivers' helmets. I can, for example, remember Hill's helmet clearly, and Irvine's, Coulthard's and Senna's, but I would struggle with almost all of the current crop.

Saint Devote
20th September 2009, 03:44
Yes, there is a difference between modifying an existing design and then changing it completely.

My favorite helmet antics is what Barrichello has done - wearing Tony Kanaan's helmet once and then in last year's Brazilian Grand Prix that of Ingo Hoffman.

Which brings me to an example why the helmet is so important - I immediately recognized it as Hoffman's and wondered why Rubens was wearing it.

This to me is an important part of racing.

BeansBeansBeans
20th September 2009, 12:49
Many of the current examples are very garish.

ykiki
20th September 2009, 15:57
Personally, I don't mind when Rubens keeps his basic design, but changes the colors around a little. It's still mostly white, but the color panels on the side (more often than the top), are changed. At a quick glance, I still know it is Rubens (which is the important thing), yet I notice that there's something different, which intrigues me.

My favorite "special edition" Barrichello helmet - his tribute to Ayrton Senna.

ykiki
20th September 2009, 16:01
Personally, I thought F1 helmets were fine, easily recognizable, and not garish until Alex Wurz hit the scene. At the time I remember thinking "Wow! MotoGP has invaded F1!"

CaptainRaiden
21st September 2009, 08:36
I think my favorite helmet was Mika Hakkinen's. Neat, simple design with stripes, and easily recognizable. And for some reason, it looked faster (Or maybe because he was simply faster than DC :D )

http://www.f1fanstore.com/files/1894786/uploaded/HMH1998_F1_Helmet_Mika_Hakkinen_1998_d.jpg

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/2001/bra/preview/teammates/mhakkinen-h.jpg

I painted my helmet used for karting, kinda the same way, except I put my name in place of West/Mika.

ArrowsFA1
21st September 2009, 08:54
I have no problem identifying the drivers by the current helmets, but that said I've always liked the Hill family's design and that of Tom Pryce.
In days gone by (old fart moment!!) there was quite often a story behind a helmet design. Hill's London Rowing Club colours and Pryce putting black stripes on his lid so his Dad could spot him out on track more easily are just two examples.

As a kid I remember reading Barry Gill's 'Grand Prix Guide' which showed some of the designs for the 1977 season, and almost all had a tale to tell.

Now it's just artwork, plus the Red Bull corporate look :dozey:

Saint Devote
22nd September 2009, 03:29
In days gone by (old fart moment!!) there was quite often a story behind a helmet design. Hill's London Rowing Club colours and Pryce putting black stripes on his lid so his Dad could spot him out on track more easily are just two examples.

As a kid I remember reading Barry Gill's 'Grand Prix Guide' which showed some of the designs for the 1977 season, and almost all had a tale to tell.

Now it's just artwork, plus the Red Bull corporate look :dozey:

My favorite is Rene Arnoux who had a plain white lid - he said that painting it did not make him go any quicker! :D

I cant bear the Red Bull confusion. Absolutely hate it.

Alesi's was a tribute to the late Elio de Angelis. Great helmet.

My favorite among the current crop is Jenson Button's before he went all dayglo and Monster top - but he has retained the essential design.

Saint Devote
22nd September 2009, 03:31
I think my favorite helmet was Mika Hakkinen's. Neat, simple design with stripes, and easily recognizable. And for some reason, it looked faster (Or maybe because he was simply faster than DC :D )

I painted my helmet used for karting, kinda the same way, except I put my name in place of West/Mika.

:s mokin:

Easy Drifter
22nd September 2009, 04:09
I'm waiting for someone to have a nude woman, tastefully done, of course! :eek: :D
Watch Bernie and Mad Max have fits. :vader:

RJL25
22nd September 2009, 04:23
Webber maintained the same helmet design for a long time, ever since he first started in europe all the way up to his time at Williams his helmet didn't change, he was easily recongnisable. Whether you liked the design or not, it was easy to tell that it was Mark Webber and not his team mate.

When he went to Red Bull they pressured him to change his design to something more Red Bullish and after a few failed attempts they eventually ended up with a compromise of his old design but with Red Bull's colours.. personally I think he should have just added a red bull logo and left it at that! Stand your ground man!

HenryM
22nd September 2009, 09:50
Barrichello is using the basic same helmet since his karting days in the 80's, and it's quite nice in his special helmets there is always something from his original design, I liked his helmet in monza, but it was quite different,

in 88
http://www.gptotal.com.br/rubens2003/Barrichello-em-1988,-seu-ul.jpg

MrJan
22nd September 2009, 10:00
Rubens has used pretty much the same design right up until Brawn made it yellow and black earlier in the year. Hamilton also has different versions of a similar theme which started out so his Dad could spot him easily.

Seem to remember MS changing his design because it was too similar to Rubens when they were both at Ferrari.

Despite this my favourite helmet design was a one off and not in F1, Rossi had a cracker at Mugello this season :D

RJL25
22nd September 2009, 10:23
MS may have changed his helmet because it was too similar to Ruebens, but I think the more likely reason was because his old design was crap. The red helmet suited him much better, although I thought the red with the german flag worked best, I dunno why he went away from the German flag in his final seasons

ioan
22nd September 2009, 10:26
This is how a great helmet design looks, IMO:

http://www.onpole.com/images/product_detail_large/154833.jpg

ioan
22nd September 2009, 10:39
I'd have to agree MS's was a stunning example and was kept simple at the same time. Was this the helmet where it listed all 91 of his victories btw?? :)

Yep, this was the helmet he had on for his last race. :)

V12
22nd September 2009, 10:44
Totally agree with the thread - a drivers' helmet used to be his signature, the way to easily pick him out from his teammate or from a crowded grid, now they all just seem a blur. I understand why sponsors would want to be on a helmet but with the likes of Hakkinens' helmet, and Marlboro appearing on the forehead and/or top band of McLaren and Ferrari drivers helmets in the 80s and early 90s, while leaving the rest of the helmet unchanged, that just worked. Why does Red Bull want all their drivers to have such similar helmets?

Back in the late 90s I used to in my spare time create carsets for the classic computer game Grand Prix 2, part of which involved creating graphics for both the cars and helmets. I say this because I would probably go along with the Alex Wurz comment. His was the first helmet that I tried to draw in Paint Shop and thinking "bloody hell this is a pain in the ----!", before that they were so much simpler!

And of course then we had drivers changing their helmets year to year, even race to race sometimes. The likes of Fisi and Trulli swapping white backgrounds for chrome, Schuey adding more and more red every year it seemed like. Eddie Irvine dropping his distinctive orange helmet for something with a Jaguar painted on it when he joined them...argh.

ArrowsFA1
22nd September 2009, 11:55
http://en.redbulletin.com/uploads/galleries/64/web_james_hunt_finalv2_468px.jpg
http://en.redbulletin.com/articles/kit_evolution_head_gear/

Speaking of the Red Bull corporate look, do you know who these two helmets belong to (without looking at the article!!!)?

Sleeper
22nd September 2009, 12:12
^I thought that might have been Vettels, but with RB driver it might as well have been someone out of FRenault.

Viellneuves black and red design has always been my favourit.

HenryM
22nd September 2009, 12:19
Rubens has used pretty much the same design right up until Brawn made it yellow and black earlier in the year. Hamilton also has different versions of a similar theme which started out so his Dad could spot him easily.

Seem to remember MS changing his design because it was too similar to Rubens when they were both at Ferrari.

Despite this my favourite helmet design was a one off and not in F1, Rossi had a cracker at Mugello this season :D

he used his classic helmet design in some races
http://www.motorpasion.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rtur2009fr05.jpg

Daniel
22nd September 2009, 13:11

http://www.grandprixweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/Rossi-Misano.jpg

I also liked the face helmet as well :D

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/rossi_mugello_2008_helmet.jpg

As for F1 helmets? I can't tell who's who most of the time :p

MrJan
22nd September 2009, 13:20
The best thing about that face helmet was that it was at a track where they are nudging 200mph at the end of the straight, if I was doing that then I'm fairly sure I'd have that expression :D

chuck34
22nd September 2009, 13:31
I'm waiting for someone to have a nude woman, tastefully done, of course! :eek: :D
Watch Bernie and Mad Max have fits. :vader:

I saw one at the Koni Challenge race this weekend. I'm not sure who's it was, as it was sitting on a table at the time, and had no name on it. But it was NICE.

Saint Devote
23rd September 2009, 03:54
Totally agree with the thread - a drivers' helmet used to be his signature, the way to easily pick him out from his teammate or from a crowded grid, now they all just seem a blur. I understand why sponsors would want to be on a helmet but with the likes of Hakkinens' helmet, and Marlboro appearing on the forehead and/or top band of McLaren and Ferrari drivers helmets in the 80s and early 90s, while leaving the rest of the helmet unchanged, that just worked. Why does Red Bull want all their drivers to have such similar helmets?

Back in the late 90s I used to in my spare time create carsets for the classic computer game Grand Prix 2, part of which involved creating graphics for both the cars and helmets. I say this because I would probably go along with the Alex Wurz comment. His was the first helmet that I tried to draw in Paint Shop and thinking "bloody hell this is a pain in the ----!", before that they were so much simpler!

And of course then we had drivers changing their helmets year to year, even race to race sometimes. The likes of Fisi and Trulli swapping white backgrounds for chrome, Schuey adding more and more red every year it seemed like. Eddie Irvine dropping his distinctive orange helmet for something with a Jaguar painted on it when he joined them...argh.

Irvine's helmet at Jaguar has to be one of the ugliest ever.

Mickey T
24th September 2009, 15:55
Irvine's helmet at Jaguar has to be one of the ugliest ever.

there's one of these in Montana, the restaurant just outside the Fiorano test track.

i always liked riccardo patrese's helmet, very simple, blue and white.

stefan johansson's too, with the three leaves on either side, while emerson fitterpaldi kept the same basic design until he retired from indy racing.

jackie stewart's was ugly, but you always knew it was him (or his son)

mansell's, too, incorporated the union jack and probably inspired JB's take on the same theme.

jacques villeneuve's was just awful, but at least you knew it was him...

ykiki
24th September 2009, 17:25
One thing I have appreciated over the years was when families kept the same, basic design over generations. (Graham/Damon Hill; Mario/Michael/Marco Andretti; Jackie/Paul Stewart; Nigel/Greg/Leo Mansell; John/Henry Surtees; Ayrton/Bruno Senna).

Sleeper
24th September 2009, 22:23
^You can add Josh Hill to that list.

Sonic
24th September 2009, 22:37
^You can add Josh Hill to that list.

Yeah but we shan't see J Hill in F1 ;)

Rollo
24th September 2009, 23:01
Clan Andretti all have similar looking helmets from what I've seen. Either silver or grey with a great big red stripe down the centre.

Jackie Stewart's with a strip of tartan was distinctive, and it carried over into Stewart F1 along with the Stewart F1 flashy-pants that would make MC Hammer cringe.

However...

Some say that he has no understanding of clouds... and that his ear wax tastes of Turkish Delight... and that he's afraid of Ant... and Dec. All we know is that he's called The Stig

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/4984/eliodeangelisbw6.jpg

Saint Devote
25th September 2009, 01:59
Webber maintained the same helmet design for a long time, ever since he first started in europe all the way up to his time at Williams his helmet didn't change, he was easily recongnisable. Whether you liked the design or not, it was easy to tell that it was Mark Webber and not his team mate.

When he went to Red Bull they pressured him to change his design to something more Red Bullish and after a few failed attempts they eventually ended up with a compromise of his old design but with Red Bull's colours.. personally I think he should have just added a red bull logo and left it at that! Stand your ground man!

Giving way - if he did - is not Webbish at all!

I have to admit that I do find Vettel's new lid attractive.

RJL25
26th September 2009, 12:37
Giving way - if he did - is not Webbish at all!

I have to admit that I do find Vettel's new lid attractive.

yes not very webbish at all, but, when someone is dropping a few million into your account per year I guess your willingnes to do what your told suddenly increases!