PDA

View Full Version : Why can't there be a season without controversy

harsha
16th September 2009, 14:44
getting really tired out of the controversy in f1....

it's getting to leave quite a bad aftertaste

Daniel
16th September 2009, 14:51
Personally I think it's just that people are getting caught. The sport is no dirtier

harsha
16th September 2009, 14:51
I agree

wedge
16th September 2009, 15:00
Because life would be boring.

Why is it FIFA or UEFA do not support TV/video technology in football?

F1boat
16th September 2009, 15:01
I too am tired by controversy.

Daniel
16th September 2009, 15:13
I too am tired by controversy.
Motorsport is not the sport for you then. Everyone cheats and everyone has been cheating forever.

Roamy
16th September 2009, 15:24
Money promotes Power Greed and Corruption. Just take a moment and look around.

wedge
16th September 2009, 15:24
Motorsport is not the sport for you then. Everyone cheats and everyone has been cheating forever.

Or indeed any other sport.

I have to admit, the Harlequins-fake blood scandal came out of the blue (then again I don't really follow rugby). Just goes to show how sportsmen, teams will do whatever it takes to win.

harsha
16th September 2009, 15:38
look @ motoGP for instance,relatively controversy free ... (atleast they are not coming out in the open) and still excellent racing

keysersoze
16th September 2009, 15:41
Sport is a microcosm of society.

I know, it's a pedestrian cliche, but then again, how does a cliche become a cliche? ;)

nigelred5
16th September 2009, 15:45
.....because it wouldn't generate headlines between races.

N. Jones
16th September 2009, 16:03

But it still creates controversy and it is irritating. It makes me want to watch F1 less, not more.

rabf1
16th September 2009, 17:57
"Everyone cheats and everyone has been cheating forever."

Everyone doesn't order their driver to cause a crash big enough to bring out the SC on purpose.

UltimateDanGTR
16th September 2009, 17:58
an F1 season without contorvesy would be pointless. Its a part of sport. and it always adds another dimension on things......

keysersoze
16th September 2009, 18:00
I don't think I've ever revealed this, but in addition to being a school teacher, I've also done a great deal of coaching: (American) football, basketball, and track. I'm also an avid cyclist.

But I NEVER watch a professional football game, or baseball game, or watch a cycling event, because I can't be certain that the achievement I'm watching is authentic.

Daniel
16th September 2009, 18:02
But it still creates controversy and it is irritating. It makes me want to watch F1 less, not more.
Well then stop watching. If something is making you unhappy then stop doing it.

Daniel
16th September 2009, 18:04

Everyone doesn't order their driver to cause a crash big enough to bring out the SC on purpose.

Who knows if this has happened before? Most people including myself though this was a ridiculous allegation when it surfaced before.

Viv
16th September 2009, 19:11
look @ motoGP for instance,relatively controversy free ... (atleast they are not coming out in the open) and still excellent racing

I don't know about now, but I read some time ago, in an old magazine that MotoGP, and dirt bike racing also have 'tricks' (around the era of Kevein Schwantz). Very few racers resorted to such tricks however, and they were definitely not half as bad as the ones coming out in Formula1.

veeten
16th September 2009, 19:22

Nah, they just choose not to cause big wrecks with nonsense rules or phantom caution flags for some piece of 'debris' on the track, like some types of racing I could mention... ;) :D

N. Jones
16th September 2009, 20:26
Well then stop watching. If something is making you unhappy then stop doing it.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this....

Saint Devote
16th September 2009, 23:21
Its not that much controversy really because its always been part of f1.

Personally it doesn't bother me much because I accept it for what it is - as many drivers past and present have and do - and prefer to focus on the sport not the politics 90% of the time.

AndyL
17th September 2009, 11:54
I don't think I've ever revealed this, but in addition to being a school teacher, I've also done a great deal of coaching: (American) football, basketball, and track. I'm also an avid cyclist.

But I NEVER watch a professional football game, or baseball game, or watch a cycling event, because I can't be certain that the achievement I'm watching is authentic.

What about F1? You have to assume that for every case of spying, race-rigging, technical irregularities etc. that we've heard about, there were others who got away with it.
And doesn't cheating also run down to the lowest levels of competetive sport? If you coach kids teams I'm sure you must have come up against teams you suspected of fielding an over-age or otherwise ineligible player.

I do have sympathy with your viewpoint here, and I certainly wouldn't condone any kind of cheating, but I think if you eschewed any sporting event where cheating might be involved you'd never enjoy any sport at all.

A good friend of mine won a bronze medal at a major athletics competition. A few years later, both the women who beat her were banned for doping offences. Isn't it upsetting and frustrating, I asked her, to know that you were beaten by athletes who were probably cheating, and that you should by rights have won gold and been a champion? She shrugged and said she'd accepted the situation long ago. She was well aware at the time that certain competitors were taking drugs, but what can you do? You can quit the sport, cheat yourself, or just accept it and get on with doing the best you can.

harsha
17th September 2009, 12:09
one question @AndyL...

weren't the persons caught stripped of their medals :?:

AndyL
17th September 2009, 12:18
one question @AndyL...

weren't the persons caught stripped of their medals :?:

Because they were caught some years later... if someone is caught doping in athletics then their results from that season may be erased but there will usually be no proof of how long they have been cheating. However you would assume they had probably not just started taking drugs the day before they got caught.

Knock-on
17th September 2009, 12:19
It's a very sad fact that when money and shareholders get involved, sportsmanship and ethics have to make room for them.

I love my Rugby but am shocked at the cheating that goes on. When I used to play, you needed a doctor to substitute you to ensure there was no possible way you can play. A good friend of mine was sent back on field with a fractured skull once just because there was no blood!!

Mind you, even back in those days players were "given" jobs where they only had to turn up for an hour once a month to attend a meeting and could train and play the rest of the time as the game was supposed to be "amature".

Now, we have players looking for penalties, acting like footballers, slipping blood pills into their socks and generally getting away with what they shouldn't. It won't be long before we start to get fights in the stands :(

The more the money, the more the risk and the more the potential reward. Couple this with an inherently corrupt "sport" such as F1 and what do you expect. It just amazes me the gall of people like Bernie and Max feigning surprise and outrage when they are the worst.

ioan
17th September 2009, 12:45
She was well aware at the time that certain competitors were taking drugs, but what can you do? You can quit the sport, cheat yourself, or just accept it and get on with doing the best you can.

Or you can voice your doubts about the other competitors and have them drug tested after the event. This is pretty much the norm especially in athletics.

Garry Walker
17th September 2009, 14:31
Controversy is good. I dont know why people are moaning so much about it. Did you think everything in F1 is rosy and noone ever attempts to cheat?

tec4
17th September 2009, 15:07
Do the Math?
Controversy= $billion F1 corporate suits + global marketing exposure + juvenile suit behaviour like deflecting blame by firing first Piquet then all of team management

Renault Implosion=Alonso and Piquet leave Renault + Renault engine failures + Chief Engineer and Team Manager fired

Final Answer:
Sometimes little white lies of juvenile competitors become a team ending nightmare? I guess, "little" would be a very wrong adjective is this case.

Apparently, in corporate suit world of F1 there is no team guilt as long as someone admits crime or is fired.

BTW: suits=humans without conscience, caused by a virus called "mindless greed".

ioan
17th September 2009, 16:04
Final Answer:
Sometimes little white lies of juvenile competitors become a team ending nightmare? I guess, "little" would be a very wrong adjective is this case.

And 'lies' is the wrong subject in this case. ;)

keysersoze
17th September 2009, 18:50
What about F1? You have to assume that for every case of spying, race-rigging, technical irregularities etc. that we've heard about, there were others who got away with it.
And doesn't cheating also run down to the lowest levels of competetive sport? If you coach kids teams I'm sure you must have come up against teams you suspected of fielding an over-age or otherwise ineligible player.

I do have sympathy with your viewpoint here, and I certainly wouldn't condone any kind of cheating, but I think if you eschewed any sporting event where cheating might be involved you'd never enjoy any sport at all.

A good friend of mine won a bronze medal at a major athletics competition. A few years later, both the women who beat her were banned for doping offences. Isn't it upsetting and frustrating, I asked her, to know that you were beaten by athletes who were probably cheating, and that you should by rights have won gold and been a champion? She shrugged and said she'd accepted the situation long ago. She was well aware at the time that certain competitors were taking drugs, but what can you do? You can quit the sport, cheat yourself, or just accept it and get on with doing the best you can.

I guess that's what I'm saying--that I THOUGHT cheating wasn't as pervasive in F1. That's me looking through my rose-colored glasses.

I race Rotax karts in part because it's a sealed formula where, supposedly, one can't cheat.

Cooper_S
18th September 2009, 11:06
If we had better on track racing we would have less time to spend on the off track stuff...

Tom206wrc
18th September 2009, 14:35
getting really tired out of the controversy in f1....

it's getting to leave quite a bad aftertaste

I must say I don't mind controversies in F1...they are less boring than most races themselves :rolleyes:

N. Jones
18th September 2009, 17:38
Controversy is good. I dont know why people are moaning so much about it. Did you think everything in F1 is rosy and noone ever attempts to cheat?

I disagree - Schumacher parking it at Monaco is one thing. Punishment was handed out, people argued about it but the rest of the season rolled on.

The McLaren spy scandal, the lesser Renault spy scandal, the McLaren lie scandal, and now Renault's race-fixing. These are things that bring the sport into disrepute and are a hinder, not a supporter, of the sport.