PDA

View Full Version : 28 cars - points scored down to 10th ?

foxystoat
15th September 2009, 17:33
As the thread title sugests do you think the points system should change if we have 26/28 cars down to 10th place. It would give some of these newcomers something to aim for as 8th could be a tall order for some of them so points for the top 10 would keep people interested down the field.

UltimateDanGTR
15th September 2009, 17:35
yes i do. points sytems need to be extended to create a chance for the newbies, otherwise they may be left in the shade, for next year at least.
Id like 16-12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 for top 12 personally, but top ten could be like BTCC with 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1. however, i doubt this will happen.

VkmSpouge
15th September 2009, 18:10
Points down to 10th wouldn't be a bad idea if there were 26 or more cars for next season. Not that giving points down to 10th will happen.

Josti
15th September 2009, 18:17
In past 26 grid-F1, points scoring positions were only for the first six. Therefore, I think the current system of eight is ok, only the given points are wrong, at least the difference between 1st and 2nd position.

12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 would be better in my opinion.

N. Jones
15th September 2009, 18:47
No, I don't. Points scored down to eighth is bad enough, I would like to see the points system remain where it is.

inimitablestoo
15th September 2009, 20:14
I believe the teams have all thumbsed-up (I've got a degree in English, I can get away with inventing words :D ) the current points system for another year - although my personal preference is for the old WRC 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 system.

I've mentioned this several times before on this forum and no one at the FIA has been listening - but then I've suggested we could do with even more than 26 cars before, so I remain hopeful...

keysersoze
15th September 2009, 20:34
With points to 10th, this is my "proposal," along with my reasoning.

The gap from 1st to 2nd must be bigger than 2nd to 3rd. Therefore, the winner gets 20 points, while second gets 15, and third gets 12. Because of these gaps, drivers will likely drive their tails off all race long.

If you don't make the podium, the next best thing is a top-five. Therefore, 4th place gets 9, while 5th gets 7 points.

Places 6-10 are separated by one point: 5-4-3-2-1.

It will look like this: 20-15-12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1

Sonic
15th September 2009, 21:55
No. If nothing else reliability is so good at the moment (and should continue into 2010) that even if points were extended to 15th the newbies would still struggle to get on the score board.

If we want to give the little guys something to aim for perhaps we could reinstate the Jim Clark cup, and have only new teams (under 5 years) eligable for points.

Sonic
15th September 2009, 21:56
No. If nothing else reliability is so good at the moment (and should continue into 2010) that even if points were extended to 15th the newbies would still struggle to get on the score board.

If we want to give the little guys something to aim for perhaps we could reinstate the Jim Clark cup, and have only new teams (under 5 years) eligable for points.

DazzlaF1
15th September 2009, 22:31
I would be in favour of points down to 10 on a 12-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale.

If you start giving out 15-20 points for a win, you may as well rip up the history books, Alain Prost's 798.5 on the old 9 points for a win scale would look like a second rate record within 10 years if that were to happen

Hawkmoon
15th September 2009, 23:10
Leave the points as they are. The chance of there actually being 28 cars on the grid is small. Firstly BMW or Sauber or whaterver-they'll-be-called have to be let in by the other teams (I thought there wasn't enough garage space for more than 12 teams and now we've got 14?).

Secondly, some of these new teams still sound dodgy. I'd be very surprised if they all make it to the grid, let alone through the entire season. Giving points down to 10th might sound OK with 28 cars but as the numbers dwindle back towards 20, and they will, it doesn't sound quite so good.

You also have to factor in that Renault are about to be bent over from behind by Pat Symmonds and may not survive Crashgate. One less team already and Toyota looking rather precarious.

Leave the points alone I say.

Rollo
15th September 2009, 23:17
About the only change that I'd like to see to the current system would be to give a single point to the pole sitter and another point to any car that led the GP at the close of a lap at some point during the race.

Motor Racing is precisely about that isn't it? Racing? A point to any lap leader would mean that if someone pitted, there might be a mad dash to the front to collect an extra point throughout the whole race.

Kevincal
16th September 2009, 00:09
You know, I really hate the points system in F1. The guys racing from 9th back are racing just as hard, if not harder than the guys upfront... They are risking their lives just the same as the top 8, so why do they get ZERO points? I think it's really stupid. If it were up to me, last place would get 1 point. SOMETHING for crying out loud... Actually I would change a lot of rules in F1 if it were up to me. :P

Here would be my idea to spice things up:

I would change qualifying to a 1 and a half hour (1:30) session. Although I would like to see every driver's lap. So each driver gets 3 flying laps and then pits, then the next drivers turn, and do this for 1:30 so therefore each driver gets something like...9 flying qualy laps?. I don't like free for all sessions like we have now because we miss so much of the action because so many cars are on track. And I would award equal points for qualifying as the race. I'll get to my point scale in a moment. ;)

The reason I would award equal points for qualy as the race is... The race grid will be INVERTED! :D Now tell me THAT wouldn't spice up the race...

My point system =

1. 50 Points
2. 43
3. 38
4. 34
5. 31
6. 28
7. 26
8. 24
9. 22
10. 20
11. 18
12. 17
13. 16
14. 15
15. 14
16. 13
17. 12
18. 11
19. 10
20. 9
21. 8
22. 7
23. 6
24. 5
25. 4
26. 3
27. 2
28. 1

Also I would have no stupid rules about having to use different kinds of tires. Use whatever tires you please / work best for you!

As for constructors points, I don't really care about that at all. :P The team is only as good as the driver, after all.

Call me crazy? :P

V12
16th September 2009, 00:40
To be honest, I do understand what is the main argument for extending the points scorers, namely the insane reliability that F1 cars have these days. 10 or 15 years ago, you could line up on the seventh or eighth row of the grid knowing that a strong run (relatively speaking) could bag you a point or two, provided you finished the race. Not anymore. I still think top eight is good as it is, except maybe make it 12-8-6 rather than 10-8-6.

Also the mention of there only being enough garage space for 12 teams (it's late and I'm too lazy to quote!), to be fair that was before spare cars were banned, and with teams downsizing in general, 14 teams will fit fine. If not then bring on pre-qualifying.

Kevincal: Yes I will call you crazy about that points system and reversed grid :P, but your comment about tyres is what I've been saying since the start of 2007, but the FIA don't really go for common sense (expanding the grid being the exception that proves the rule) these days.

Cozzie
16th September 2009, 01:18

keysersoze
16th September 2009, 02:29

very similar to one above by yours truly:
20-15-12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1

keysersoze
16th September 2009, 02:31
I would be in favour of points down to 10 on a 12-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale.

If you start giving out 15-20 points for a win, you may as well rip up the history books, Alain Prost's 798.5 on the old 9 points for a win scale would look like a second rate record within 10 years if that were to happen

Recalculating AP's points on the new scale will keep it all in perspective. ;)

leopard
16th September 2009, 03:53
I stick with opinion that points reward is supposed to be rewarded to half of race participants, or at least to top ten finisher out of this year's participants. This will greatly motivate mediocre teams to score points, and more, this will give more probability to the weakest teams. They spent great deal amount of money to be there in F1, so the easier points system will favor them considerably. When it comes to give rewards to others, I just try to avoid myself from being stingy..

VkmSpouge
16th September 2009, 07:52
Secondly, some of these new teams still sound dodgy.

I don't think any of these teams sounds particularly dodgy, it's just the lack of information about their plans leads to a lot of speculation about their progress.

555-04Q2
16th September 2009, 10:53
I still prefer the old top 6 points scoring system of old. Makes people fight harder for positions.

Mark
16th September 2009, 11:27
You know, I really hate the points system in F1. The guys racing from 9th back are racing just as hard, if not harder than the guys upfront... They are risking their lives just the same as the top 8, so why do they get ZERO points? I think it's really stupid. If it were up to me, last place would get 1 point. SOMETHING for crying out loud... Actually I would change a lot of rules in F1 if it were up to me. :P

Because it's Formula 1, not happy clappy nice land where everyone who takes part goes home with a prize. If you aren't good enough, you get nothing.

Just be thankful it isn't the medals system.

Knock-on
16th September 2009, 11:40
I suggest a medal system along the lines of:

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Titanium
Carbon fibre
Stainless Steel
Bright Mild Steel
Iron
Aliminium
Alunimium (To keep USF1 happy)
Perspex
Burberry
Paper
Festering piece of dog turd

That should cater for everyones tastes.

millencolin
16th September 2009, 15:38
Points are a reward... they shouldnt be handed out like they do in NASCAR. gone will be the days where the minnows celebrate a points finish like it was a race win....

nigelred5
16th September 2009, 15:56
I agree awarding points for the top ten is fair, but for manufacturers points only.

N. Jones
16th September 2009, 16:36

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Titanium
Carbon fibre
Stainless Steel
Bright Mild Steel
Iron
Aliminium
Perspex
Burberry
Paper

:laugh:
Might as well. Just pile crazy on top of crazy at this point!

UltimateDanGTR
16th September 2009, 17:53

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Titanium
Carbon fibre
Stainless Steel
Bright Mild Steel
Iron
Aliminium
Perspex
Burberry
Paper

cant wait to see who will win the championship on platinumgloldsilverpaper points....

if we are going down the insane root what about actual prizes like:

1st: champagne
2nd. nice bottle of rose
3rd. a bottle of cheap white from tesco
4th. a fosters
5th. slice of cheese
6th. some grapes
7th. a greggs the bakers pasty
8th. a burger from the nearest burger van
9th. a stapler
10th. a staple
11th. a drawing pin
12th. piece of paper
13th and below: slice of flavs ego

emporer_k
16th September 2009, 18:38
How about:

20-15-11-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

keysersoze
16th September 2009, 19:18
cant wait to see who will win the championship on platinumgloldsilverpaper points....

if we are going down the insane root what about actual prizes like:

1st: champagne
2nd. nice bottle of rose
3rd. a bottle of cheap white from tesco
4th. a fosters
5th. slice of cheese
6th. some grapes
7th. a greggs the bakers pasty
8th. a burger from the nearest burger van
9th. a stapler
10th. a staple
11th. a drawing pin
12th. piece of paper
13th and below: slice of flavs ego

14th dinner with ioan
15th nothing
16th nothing
17th nothing
18th nothing
19th nothing
20th dinner with saint devote

N. Jones
16th September 2009, 20:27
14th dinner with ioan
15th nothing
16th nothing
17th nothing
18th nothing
19th nothing
That is twelve shades of wrong!

Sonic
16th September 2009, 21:09
14th dinner with ioan
15th nothing
16th nothing
17th nothing
18th nothing
19th nothing

Who pays???

Nikki Katz
16th September 2009, 21:56
I thought that the FIA had pushed through the amended medals system for next year, so points will be the same as is now, but the winner of the drivers' championship will be whoever wins the most races. Which means that in this year the drivers' title would probably be decided at the next race. Wonderful...

Knock-on
17th September 2009, 10:23
Who pays???

If it's Dinner with Ioan and Saint Devote, I'll pay for the Burger Van meal :D

inimitablestoo
17th September 2009, 16:29
I thought that the FIA had pushed through the amended medals system for next year, so points will be the same as is now, but the winner of the drivers' championship will be whoever wins the most races. Which means that in this year the drivers' title would probably be decided at the next race. Wonderful...

At one point they did, but when the FOTA teams came back in the fold and did their Neville Chamberlain bit, one of the conditions was retaining the current points.