PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race

Koz
13th September 2009, 14:26
Rubens! Great win. Maybe there will be a title fight after all.

And Lewis deserves a mention too he drove very well till the last lap and choked.

ioan
13th September 2009, 14:28
I'm afraid you're a bit too late.

Koz
13th September 2009, 14:29
I'm afraid you're a bit too late.

Fixed.

F1boat
13th September 2009, 14:38
Barrichello for the win and Raikkonen for defending his position from Sutil. I would mention Jenson who drove for solid second after all the crap about him...

DexDexter
13th September 2009, 14:44
Rubens and Kimi.

Dave B
13th September 2009, 14:44
Rubens certainly, with an honourable mention to Liuzzi for a classy comeback: driving well all weekend until technical problems intervened.

ioan
13th September 2009, 14:45
Rubens did great, the others underperformed IMO.

Psycho!
13th September 2009, 14:57
Rubinho!!

Robinho
13th September 2009, 15:06
Rubens for a great drive start to finish,

also mentions for Jenson for an almost equally good drive (the first lap battle with Kovy was key to his result if he'd lost a lap or 2 or more stuck behind he'd have been way off the podium).

Sutil did great apart from over exuberance in the pitlane and Kimi another great rearguard action against what seemed a faster car - 4 podiums in a row now, albeit he lucked into 3rd

gm99
13th September 2009, 15:11
Barrichello - faultless race.

Honorable mention to Liuzzi, who had a great comeback race (pretty good move on Kovalainen in the beginning as well) and might well have finished ahead of Sutil had his car not broken down.

truefan72
13th September 2009, 15:14
rubens, who as I've said is the better driver than Button this year. If the team had not favored Button earlier on, we would have had a real fight on our hands right now for the WDC

christophulus
13th September 2009, 15:25
Barrichello - faultless race.

Honorable mention to Liuzzi, who had a great comeback race (pretty good move on Kovalainen in the beginning as well) and might well have finished ahead of Sutil had his car not broken down.

Same for me. I'm hoping Barrichello wins the title but can't see it happening realistically. And Liuzzi was straight on the pace, good job.

VkmSpouge
13th September 2009, 15:28
Rubens Barrichello put in a great performance, he was really pushing hard all through the race.

Good races by Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi. I do wonder where Liuzzi would have finished had his car not broken down.

Sleeper
13th September 2009, 16:15
Rubens, he had the legs on Hamilton and Button today.

Excellent drive from Heidfeld as well, going from 15th to 7th without ever appearing on camera.

pino
13th September 2009, 16:16
Rubens and Liuzzi !

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 16:39
rubens, who as I've said is the better driver than Button this year. If the team had not favored Button earlier on, we would have had a real fight on our hands right now for the WDC

There is no evidence that Brawn were favoring anyone. Only Rubens was in a certain mindset.

If there is one thing I have learned about Jenson is that he is not a mercurial sort. Rubens is different.

After the ridiculous outbursts the only difference is probably that Barrichello has calmed down and pulled himself together.

Another factor is that maybe Jenson is better at getting to grips with a new car better and we know that he is the easiest on tyres.

So the advantage that Jenson had compared to Rubens is now neutralized.

There are a myriad of possible reasons when trying to analyze a drivers - especially when most of a season is complete and two teammates have the measure of each other.

My drivers of the race are Rubens, Jenson, Kimi and Liuzzi.

UltimateDanGTR
13th September 2009, 16:40
Liuzzi was doing well, unforutnatly for him his gearbox went. Sutil was great as well, if only that force india had kers, we could have seen another car on that podium in 3rd place today............

but rubinho wins it hands down. just brilliant, and now it is clear that there is NO space for rosberg in a brawn next year IMO, and rubens' world championship race is well and truly on....

DexDexter
13th September 2009, 17:22
Liuzzi was doing well, unforutnatly for him his gearbox went. Sutil was great as well, if only that force india had kers, we could have seen another car on that podium in 3rd place today............

but rubinho wins it hands down. just brilliant, and now it is clear that there is NO space for rosberg in a brawn next year IMO, and rubens' world championship race is well and truly on....

Winning the world championship doesn't guarantee a seat, remember Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell. Rubinho at Williams?

ioan
13th September 2009, 17:33
Winning the world championship doesn't guarantee a seat, remember Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell. Rubinho at Williams?

I wouldn't take Williams as an example as they are unique in their idiotic approach towards their drivers.

jens
13th September 2009, 17:43
People are too negative, because... there are twice as many posts in the donkey thread than in this one. :p :

I liked Liuzzi's impressive comeback. I know some members on this forum don't rate this guy at all, but I have always regarded him as a fast, albeit a bit inconsistent, driver. He could have finished in his career-best 5th position at least if the car had stayed in one piece.

Generally several drivers did well. Barrichello (Monza is one of his best circuits really), Räikkönen (fourth podium in a row), Alonso (steadily took P5), Heidfeld. Once again Force India was behind a Ferrari, so it's unclear whether this was as fast as Sutil could go or was he held up.

race_director
13th September 2009, 19:02
even though i am Tifosi by gene but for the star of the race. were Luzzi and Sutil. and force india team.

pettersolberg29
13th September 2009, 19:40
Another honourable mention for Heidfeld from me - gain of 8 places, avoided all problems and had a classy move on Fisi (with KERS) to get 2 points.

UltimateDanGTR
13th September 2009, 20:11

I think Ross Brawn has a little more sense in driver choice than a certain sir.Frank Williams, and you are just taking examples in the minority, most have made better decisions. Dropping Barrichello would be silly IMO...

F1boat
13th September 2009, 20:39
I agree. For all we know, Nico might become another Kovalainen. If you remember, Heikki was promising after RoC, GP 2 and his first season with Renault...

Sonic
13th September 2009, 21:39
Clearly Rubens (I do feel like I'm coming down with a second case of Ruby fever) but second prize goes to Nick.

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 22:42

Correct but don't forget you are referring to the Williams team. The team is very specific about what is sees as a driver's worth and never budged.

I think Barrichello's position at Brawn GP has never been in jeopardy from the team's side even when the Brazilian had his public outburst tantrums.

On the other hand if you recall Williams declared that for them action like Ruben's was cause for immediate dismissal - different styles of management. :eek:

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 22:46
Another honourable mention for Heidfeld from me - gain of 8 places, avoided all problems and had a classy move on Fisi (with KERS) to get 2 points.

What a great point you have made. :cool:

Of course it will be overlooked given the misguided fawning over Fisichella in a Ferrari!

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 22:54
I think Ross Brawn has a little more sense in driver choice than a certain sir.Frank Williams, and you are just taking examples in the minority, most have made better decisions. Dropping Barrichello would be silly IMO...

I have to step up and defend Williams.

With respect how many world titles and constructors titles has Williams won? The team were a dominant force in f1 when Ferrari were well into their sojurn in the wilderness.

I could not cirticize either Williams or Brawn as I have too much respect over many years for their accomplishments.

They epitomize everything that is British about F1 and I do have great affection for that.

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 23:03
I agree. For all we know, Nico might become another Kovalainen. If you remember, Heikki was promising after RoC, GP 2 and his first season with Renault...

I can think of no driver less worthy of the title driver of the race. Rosberg was beaten by Nakajima this weekend - and this driver seeks to move to Mclaren?!!

Lewis would destroy him on the track!

Best comment of the race weekend: Patrick Head at the pitwall looking on as Nakajima held a big off moment during qualifying.

Head smiled then playfully grimaced as he said: "well held Kaz!"

What a super moment :D

CNR
13th September 2009, 23:16
Same for me. I'm hoping Barrichello wins the title but can't see it happening realistically. And Liuzzi was straight on the pace, good job.
Motorsport: Drivers free to fight it out for F1 title, says Brawn (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10597182)

ioan
13th September 2009, 23:18
Motorsport: Drivers free to fight it out for F1 title, says Brawn (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10597182)

A bit late now.

Saint Devote
14th September 2009, 00:41
A bit late now.

How can a fan of Schumacher demonstrate against team orders?

You imply that Brawn executed team orders earlier in the year? What do you base that on? Button raced ahead of Barrichello earlier season - if Brawn had to make decisions it made sense to favor Button.

Now the situation is different because Barrichello has the advantage but Button remains the world championship leader.

Given how the drivers are playing it out, Brawn has made the correct decsion again - it is not at all about favoring one driver over another but leveraging the teams interests. A vast difference to the way Ferrari managed Schumcher and I think Barrichello has recognized this - hence his fears as it used to be at Ferrari have been allayed.

Team orders as constituted in the past have no place in modern racing and the way Ross Brawn manages the situation is a lesson that many think Red Bull have still to learn.

Up yours Chris Horner! :vader:

truefan72
14th September 2009, 01:15
How can a fan of Schumacher demonstrate against team orders?

You imply that Brawn executed team orders earlier in the year? What do you base that on? Button raced ahead of Barrichello earlier season - if Brawn had to make decisions it made sense to favor Button.

Now the situation is different because Barrichello has the advantage but Button remains the world championship leader.

Given how the drivers are playing it out, Brawn has made the correct decsion again - it is not at all about favoring one driver over another but leveraging the teams interests. A vast difference to the way Ferrari managed Schumcher and I think Barrichello has recognized this - hence his fears as it used to be at Ferrari have been allayed.

Team orders as constituted in the past have no place in modern racing and the way Ross Brawn manages the situation is a lesson that many think Red Bull have still to learn.

Up yours Chris Horner! :vader:

if anything, pseudo team orders should come in the latter part of the season not the earlier part when the competition is wide open. If and only if one of the drivers is mathematically out of the WDC and the team leader requires assistance in certain cases then I can see them making strategic decisions to benefit one over the other.But to me such measures should rarely be called for. I've always maintained that the notion of a team is vague at best when it comes to actual racing on the track. Yeah they want the WCC championship and they preach that team speak, but to me it is really an individual pursuit against 19 other drivers and not a team event or 1to1 vs. your teammate like so many others love to discuss. Both notions are overblown IMO

Cozzie
14th September 2009, 01:23
Rubens with honorable mentions to Sutil and Liuzzi who both drove very well and consistently challenged the 'front runners'.

Knock-on
14th September 2009, 11:49
Rubens was sublime. He is driving better than I have ever seen him and that includes when he used to beat Schumacher. You really have to ask what would have happened at Ferrari if he was given a fair crack at the whip as he is now?

Good race from Jenson as well. Qualified and raced solidly to silence his critics. I expect he will be back on top in Singapore.

Liuzzi had a good race until his car expired and Sutil did very well again apart from being a little hot headed in the pit.

I think Lewis raced his ass off and would have had a superb 3rd place had he not pushed it too far once too often. Still, very entertaining.

wedge
14th September 2009, 13:49
Rubens

Solid weekend from Liuzzi and proving experienced reserve drivers have little excuse for jumping into a GP.

stevie_gerrard
15th September 2009, 02:01
Rubens for a great strategy put to good use and for driving so well when he needed to.

Big Ben
15th September 2009, 07:45
Rubens, Jenson, Kimi, Sutil... and Liuzzi... all of them did great

Garry Walker
15th September 2009, 10:22
Barrichello and Kimi.

Good races by Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi. I do wonder where Liuzzi would have finished had his car not broken down.

Force India was the only car good enough to compete with Brawns at Monza. But they had lesser drivers, who did not do a proper job, so they didnt even get a podium.
Nothing great about their races. Especially regarding Sutil.

I liked Liuzzi's impressive comeback. I know some members on this forum don't rate this guy at all, but I have always regarded him as a fast, albeit a bit inconsistent, driver. He could have finished in his career-best 5th position at least if the car had stayed in one piece.
Maybe his "speed" had something to do with having an amazing car?

Once again Force India was behind a Ferrari, so it's unclear whether this was as fast as Sutil could go or was he held up.

If you had looked at the race properly and had looked at Spa, you would have understood that at both races the Force India was the much quicker car.
If you want to know which car was quicker, just look at how Sutil easily closed the 3 second gap he had with Kimi to just under 1 second.
There is no doubt at all which car was quicker.

Even Fisi said that compared to Force India, Ferrari was a dog of a car to drive.

Dave B
15th September 2009, 10:30
Force India was the only car good enough to compete with Brawns at Monza.
Apart from (one car each from) McLaren and Ferrari, you mean?

Garry Walker
15th September 2009, 10:35
Apart from (one car each from) McLaren and Ferrari, you mean?

McLaren and especially Ferrari were not as quick cars as Force India or the Brawns.

They were driven by better drivers though.

F1boat
15th September 2009, 14:18
McLaren and especially Ferrari were not as quick cars as Force India or the Brawns.

They were driven by better drivers though.

Well said.

jens
15th September 2009, 21:28
Nothing great about their races. Especially regarding Sutil.

You keep downplaying Sutil's performance, but I think there isn't really much he could have done otherwise (except that pitstop mistake obviously). He outqualified Kimi, got "KERSed" at the start and despite seeming faster never had an opportunity to overtake. I'd say he did as well as possible given the circumstances.