PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Imminent: Santander to sponsor Ferrari AND McLaren in 2010

Giuseppe F1
12th September 2009, 19:18
Will Ferrari be in SANTANDER branding and McLaren in ABBEY branding perhaps??/

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78578

McLaren set to retain Santander
By Jonathan Noble
Saturday, September 12th 2009, 17:59 GMT

McLaren is set to retain its sponsorship deal with Santander in 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned, despite the Spanish banking giant's high-profile new deal with Ferrari.

Santander announced in the build-up to the Italian Grand Prix that it was embarking on a five-year major sponsorship deal with Ferrari from next year - an agreement that could see the company tie-up with Fernando Alonso at some point.

While the Ferrari deal was in place for some time, discussions are believed to have continued with McLaren about extending its current deal too - especially because of the huge success the bank's profile has enjoyed through its association with Lewis Hamilton.

It is understood that a deal is now close to being confirmed, with an announcement expected in the next week – and perhaps even in the build-up to Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.

Santander chief Emilio Botin declined to comment about the McLaren situation when asked about the chances of a deal at the Ferrari announcement.

"Today we are here to speak about Ferrari," he said on Thursday. "From 2010, for five years, Santander will work together in red."

McLaren has also declined to comment about the state of negotiations with Santander.

jonny hurlock
12th September 2009, 21:48
Will Ferrari be in SANTANDER branding and McLaren in ABBEY branding perhaps??/

abbey turning into santander in January 2010,

V12
13th September 2009, 01:37
Wouldn't be the first time a company had sponsored McLaren and Ferrari at the same time

F1boat
13th September 2009, 09:15
Wouldn't be the first time a company had sponsored McLaren and Ferrari at the same time

I dunno, but it may be true. That's impressive...

CNR
13th September 2009, 09:38
90 million customers in 40 countries

Abbey, Alliance & Leicester, and the
Bradford & Bingley savings business,
are coming together to become Santander
http://www.santander.co.uk/

http://www.santander.com/csgs/Satellite?canal=CAccionistas&empr=SANCorporativo&leng=es_ES&pagename=SANCorporativo/GSDistribuidora/SC_Index

Dave B
13th September 2009, 10:11
McLaren should carry Bradford and Bingley sponsorship, and the drivers should be required to wear bowler hats at all times.

Dave B
13th September 2009, 10:19
Hang on.

You don't think...

No.

But what if...

Ferrari have gone very cool over Alonso recently, and it seems that McLaren are looking for a replacement for Kovy. Surely not...

Would they?

Could they?

:eek:

ioan
13th September 2009, 10:30
Hang on.

You don't think...

No.

But what if...

Ferrari have gone very cool over Alonso recently, and it seems that McLaren are looking for a replacement for Kovy. Surely not...

Would they?

Could they?

Is he still popular in the UK?!

Dave B
13th September 2009, 10:51
Weirdly, yes. I know the media like to play the "evil Spaniard who was seen off by the heroic Lewis" angle; but Alonso remains in high regard for what he's capable of doing in a cockpit. He's not universally popular of course, but we do like our pantomime villians in this country.

I'm just thinking out loud, really, but it's a fascinating prospect.

jens
13th September 2009, 11:11
Well yeah, I wonder if this could be the end of the Alonso-> Ferrari in 2010 rumour?

In the end everything makes sense. What has changed between 09/10 for Ferrari that Alonso "has to" go there? Santander comes onboard. But if Santander has managed to be McLaren's sponsor for 2 years without Alonso and are intending to continue, then surely they can live without Alonso for 1 year with Ferrari too?

christophulus
13th September 2009, 11:14
Hang on.

You don't think...

No.

But what if...

Would they?

Could they?

There was a rumour going around at the Belgian GP about McLaren trying to get Alonso back in return for keeping Santander's sponsorship, so it's not completely impossible it could happen.

I think the more likely reason is that Hamilton is one of the most marketable F1 drivers around at the moment so sponsors will still be desperate to have him.

ioan
14th September 2009, 09:41
He still lives in the UK for most of the year, Oxford in fact... I haven't heard of him getting lynched in the local press... :p

He's not popular maybe, but certainly not hated...

Yeah but one needs a popular driver if they are to have their name plastered all over his car and expecting that to be taken positively by the local viewers.

Mark
14th September 2009, 09:47
I still like Alonso, not as much since the McLaren episode, of course. But yes, he's still popular here I think. Definitely well respected for what he can do in a less than spectacular car.

Personally I think Alonso is rather disrespectful to Renault who have been so good to him, always trying to leave them!

I can't see him being Hamiltons team mate again. My prediction for 2010 is
McLaren: Hamilton, Raikkonen
Ferrari: Massa, Alonso

Kova will go to the likes of Williams I think.

Mark
14th September 2009, 09:48
Yeah but one needs a popular driver if they are to have their name plastered all over his car and expecting that to be taken positively by the local viewers.

It won't do them any harm, unlike, say, sponsoring Schumacher in the mid-90's could have done!

Giuseppe F1
14th September 2009, 14:10
Its now been confirmed at Autosport.com - Santander will sponsor McLaren alongside Ferrari in 2010. In seems the marketing pull of using Lewis Hamilton is too strong to give up just yet.....:

=================================================

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78640

McLaren confirms Santander deal
By Pablo Elizalde
Monday, September 14th 2009, 12:44 GMT

The McLaren team has confirmed the extension of its sponsorship deal with Spanish banking giant Santander, as revealed by AUTOSPORT over the weekend.

Santander has sponsored McLaren since the 2007 season, and the partnership will continue despite the company having signed a five-year deal with Ferrari from next year.

"We are extremely pleased to have extended our hugely successful global Partnership with Santander," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

"As one of the world's leading banks with a significant presence in Europe, Brazil, Mexico, Chile and the United States and other countries, Santander is a great 'fit' with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and our triumphs on the global stage of Formula 1.

"The year 2009 marks Santander's third season of association with our sport, and during this time they have successfully title-sponsored three of the most prestigious and historic races: the British, German and Italian Grands Prix. We are very proud of our relationship with Santander and to be part of their ever-expanding Formula 1 involvement.

"We welcome, and wish them well with, their other activities - including, but not limited to, the afore-mentioned race sponsorships."

According to the team, Santander has seen its brand awareness rise in the UK from 20% to 82% since the partnership began.

"The year 2010 will create a newly-refreshed scenario for Santander in terms of Formula 1 sponsorship," said Juan Manuel Cendoya, Senior Vice President of Communications, Corporate Marketing and Research.

"Our continuing partnership with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - and especially with Lewis Hamilton - will fit very well with our ongoing development of the Santander brand, not only in the UK but globally too."

Knock-on
14th September 2009, 14:21
I would think that the Lewis factor was fundemental to staying with McLaren.

Will Alonso ever partner Lewis at McLaren. I really hope so because the prospect of the 2 best drivers in the same team, head to head with no #1 is mouthwatering.

Sadley it may be Kimi, who is obviously a extremely good driver, and Alonso to Ferrari.

However, there is still a chance and as I've said before, I can see them racing together before the Fat Lady sings :)

Dzeidzei
14th September 2009, 18:56
If Santander gets to pick Freddies team, doesnt that make him the most expensive paid driver on the grid? And this move to Ferrari with Santanders money would be the most expensive move of F1 history. It would take tens of millions of sponsorship money + tens of millions to pay Fred and compensate for sacking Kimi.

But didnt Ferrari say that "our sponsors dont pick our drivers"?

Yeah, right.

jens
14th September 2009, 19:34
Just how long does it take for Ferrari to finally announce their 2010 line-up? It's getting a bit boring already. :D It was expected to happen at Monza. What are they still discussing? Massa is expected to return in 2010 according to doctors, so they can't be waiting after him. Is Ferrari still desperately trying to negotiate with Kimi to avoid paying compensation? How much longer could it take? If Kimi wants to join another team, is Ferrari trying to force BGP/McLaren to pay at least part of the compensation? Or are they legally trying to avoid paying compensation if KR joins another team and won't take a year off?

DexDexter
14th September 2009, 19:41
Just how long does it take for Ferrari to finally announce their 2010 line-up? It's getting a bit boring already. :D It was expected to happen at Monza. What are they still discussing? Massa is expected to return in 2010 according to doctors, so they can't be waiting after him. Is Ferrari still desperately trying to negotiate with Kimi to avoid paying compensation? How much longer could it take? If Kimi wants to join another team, is Ferrari trying to force BGP/McLaren to pay at least part of the compensation? Or are they legally trying to avoid paying compensation if KR joins another team and won't take a year off?

Or are they waiting for Kimi's decision? Unlikely but not impossible.

jens
14th September 2009, 19:54
Or are they waiting for Kimi's decision? Unlikely but not impossible.

Decision about what? For which team to drive in 2010? If so, then why hasn't he made a decision already? :) Weighing offers?

Mark
15th September 2009, 08:37
It's not unusual for drivers to have 'personal' sponsors who follow them. It doesn't mean they are pay drivers.

Even Senna had personal sponsors who effiectively subsidised his wages.

Roamy
15th September 2009, 08:48
I guess Santander didn't need some "Stimulus"

Mark
15th September 2009, 09:06
I guess Santander didn't need some "Stimulus"

Bradford & Bingley were nationalised before the 'good' parts of it were sold off to Santander.

aryan
15th September 2009, 09:07
Just how long does it take for Ferrari to finally announce their 2010 line-up?

James Allen seems to think that Kimi has told them that he expects to be paid his contract for 2010 in full if they want to release him. Ferrari is taking its time to decide. They have a contract with Alonso for 2011, with an option for 2010 if there is a vacant seat. They might be waiting for Massa's return and to have him do a test first, before deciding if they want to either:

1) Pay kimi in full and let him go and run Massa and Alonso
2) Keep kimi and Massa for 2010 and run Alonso from 2011
3) "Loan" Massa for a year to another team (and pay his salary, which is much cheaper than buying Kimi's contract in full) and run Kimi and Alonso in 2010

DexDexter
15th September 2009, 09:09
Decision about what? For which team to drive in 2010? If so, then why hasn't he made a decision already? :) Weighing offers?

Could be. It's just a hunch.

“As you know, Kimi has a contract with us next year, and this is what we can say now."

Mark
15th September 2009, 09:11
Is the Alonso to Ferrari thing certain? Perhaps we will just see Alonso stay at Renault and that's that?!

ioan
15th September 2009, 09:36
Is the Alonso to Ferrari thing certain? Perhaps we will just see Alonso stay at Renault and that's that?!

Is it certain that there will be a Renault team on the grid?

Roamy
15th September 2009, 09:40
Well I think Alonso will move next year - the question is where?? Somehow I keep thinking Brawn as things are too screwed up at Ferrari!!

SGWilko
15th September 2009, 09:54
3) "Loan" Massa for a year to another team (and pay his salary, which is much cheaper than buying Kimi's contract in full) and run Kimi and Alonso in 2010

The more I read that sentence, the more it makes sense. Let Massa get up to speed in another team, then bring him back 100% Ferrari ready.