PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Ferrari

Roamy
12th September 2009, 18:04
I have long maintained the theory that these drivers are all so good that you just can't hop into a car and expect to surpass the current driver. It is clear that the fish is considerably better that Luca and I am not surprised with his result at the moment. I expect him to move up a little in the race and he will close the gap to Rak as he gets miles in the car. I would not have expected MS to do much better if any. But if it rains I expect the Fish to swim upstream pretty good.

SGWilko
12th September 2009, 18:15
I have long maintained the theory that these drivers are all so good that you just can't hop into a car and expect to surpass the current driver. It is clear that the fish is considerably better that Luca and I am not surprised with his result at the moment. I expect him to move up a little in the race and he will close the gap to Rak as he gets miles in the car. I would not have expected MS to do much better if any. But if it rains I expect the Fish to swim upstream pretty good.

It could well be the way each car uses the tyres, or drivers getting used to all the dial, buttons and switches on the wheel, and then the way KERS recharging changes the dynamics under braking.

SO many factors. Luca 'should' have done a better job, being up to speed - you would hope - on the functions of the car and all systems.

Then you look at Liuzi in the Force India - is that an easier car to learn to drive as they have less gizmos?

keysersoze
12th September 2009, 19:10
Fisi is at 690 kg for the race, while the three drivers in front of him are considerably heavier and without KERS. Perhaps Giancarlo can snatch a few places at the start.

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 02:06
I think the problem is that the cars have become in general more rigid - in years gone by a car could be dialled in to suit a driver including so many tyre choices.

Just think back to when Mansell returned to Williams and won a grand prix for them in his second race.

Even further back - Jody Scheckter sat in the Mclaren M23 for the first time in 1973, qualified 2nd in his first race at Paul Ricard [his 3rd grand prix] and led the French Grand Prix until an overambitious move by Emerson Fittipaldi had them both crashing out.

Granted a driver has to be capable of driving these cars - but cars cannot be managed to suit a driver these days.

Pity because as we have seen, such as in Bourdais' case - it can ruin a driver's F1 career.

And think about a magnificent driver like the late Ronnie Peterson was, who had the uncanny ability to drive around a car's problems or characteristics even the dreadful March car in 1971/2 which Niki Lauda assessed and accurately described as "rubbish".

This is not possible today and it is a pity because it has caused f1 to become so technology dependent and we all lose because great drivers cannot drive marvellously and enthrall us with what they do with such a car.

Its the dumbing down of f1.

Saint Devote
13th September 2009, 02:21
Then you look at Liuzi in the Force India - is that an easier car to learn to drive as they have less gizmos?

I think you are on the correct track.

But perhaps not easier to drive, but less complicated to operate and maybe therefore better able to adjust to a driver.

If that is the case, then as a fan I would rather see more Force India type cars than others.

I wish that the cars were less technological and then the ridiculous NASA mission control sights at races would disappear.

I mean just starting a damn modern racing car is not simple. What is that nonsense?!

Too much and uneccessary technology = the dumbing down of f1 as a drivers series.

race_director
13th September 2009, 05:07
FISHY FERRARI????

1) One car is driven by a driver called Fisi

2) second car is driven by a driver who drinks like Fish.

:)

Jag_Warrior
13th September 2009, 07:02
FISHY FERRARI????

1) One car is driven by a driver called Fisi

2) second car is driven by a driver who drinks like Fish.

:)

^^ Good one! :D

F1boat
13th September 2009, 09:08
I think you are on the correct track.

But perhaps not easier to drive, but less complicated to operate and maybe therefore better able to adjust to a driver.

If that is the case, then as a fan I would rather see more Force India type cars than others.

I wish that the cars were less technological and then the ridiculous NASA mission control sights at races would disappear.

I mean just starting a damn modern racing car is not simple. What is that nonsense?!

Too much and uneccessary technology = the dumbing down of f1 as a drivers series.

In my opinion there should be some balance... I'd not enjoy a low-tech F1, honestly. I enjoy these spaceships which we have now and I think that last year was also very cool...

SGWilko
13th September 2009, 11:55
In my opinion there should be some balance... I'd not enjoy a low-tech F1, honestly. I enjoy these spaceships which we have now and I think that last year was also very cool...

The technology should be guided in the correct areas.

Tyres - applicable to road cars that work well wet or dry.

Emissions - Working to produce a very clean engine.

Fuel - Every year, teams are allowed to use a little less fuel, so the incentive is to create efficient engines.

ANd I would like to see CVT allowed, this could filter down to raod cars so gearboxes become simple, reliable and allow the engine to run at optimum,cleanest rpm.

It'll never happen of course.