PDA

View Full Version : the purse strings getting a bit tighter

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 15:06
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-car-lease-ending-for-transition-teams/

chuck34
10th September 2009, 16:04
This seems like a non-story to me. I'm surprised it went this long without the league asking for some money. Seems I'm not the only one either.

"We had a free car in '08 and we got an extension for this year so I've been expecting this for some time and I have no complaint with it, it's fair," said Bachelart,

Longtime owner Derrick Walker said the IRL didn't do anything sinister.
"It wasn't a deal that changed," said Walker

garyshell
10th September 2009, 16:13
"the purse strings getting a bit tighter"???

No, the bill arrived. A bill they all knew was coming.

Gary

Chamoo
10th September 2009, 16:43
Yea, the only one I think has a problem is HVM as they didn't actually get a new car.

Anyone that knew about this and didn't plan for it doomed themselves.

If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 17:18
my apologies...

I'm sure there is absolutely no connection between the removal of Tony George and his replacements being bean counters.... and the first real act of the new folks in charge is the calling in of about million in debt that had been abated for 18months...

yep... no corrolation whatsoever with purse strings being tightened

Mods please remove this thread as it is completely irrelevant

or...maybe, just maybe.......its not

*and hope your having a great day Gary

NickFalzone
10th September 2009, 17:35
I think the problem, Ken, is when you state something as a fact: "purse strings being tightened" when really what you're stating is an opinion. This overdue bill could very well have been sent out regardless of the situation at IMS, and your speculation is then incorrect. I'm not saying your wrong, just saying it's not unreasonable to see it in a very different light than you portray it. To me a thread that would make sense with your title that wouldn't be misleading would be something like "Teams not being offered "TEAM" money by IMS for 2010". That would be a definite sign of purse strings being tightened. Asking for overdue money on the Dallara chassis' is not unreasonable or out and out a sign of tight purse strings.

garyshell
10th September 2009, 17:45
my apologies...

I'm sure there is absolutely no connection between the removal of Tony George and his replacements being bean counters.... and the first real act of the new folks in charge is the calling in of about million in debt that had been abated for 18months...

yep... no corrolation whatsoever with purse strings being tightened

Mods please remove this thread as it is completely irrelevant

or...maybe, just maybe.......its not

Poor put upon Ken, everyone picks on him all the time. Boo hoo.

If you had indicated WHOSE purse strings you thought were being tightened this whole "persecution of Ken" scenario might not have played out. It seems obvious from the responses we all thought you meant the owners' purse strings were tightened. But even so, it was clear to all involved that the bill would come due. I do think you have a point that now that bean counters are in charge there are some shifts in process that will occur. Not sure this is one though, since it was already part of an existing deal.

Oh and by the way, I am and could care less if you are or not.

Gary

chuck34
10th September 2009, 18:19
Ken, did you honestly think that these chassis were just going to be permanently on loan to these teams? It was clear from the outset that they would have to be paid for at some point. We're at that point. What's the big deal?

A better thread title might have been "the bill comes due" or something like that.

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 18:27

Gary

why so bitter gary

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 18:29
it's a crystal clear case of purse strings being pulled tighter...

others milage may vary

NickFalzone
10th September 2009, 19:27

In my opinion.

others milage may vary

There, fixed it.

chuck34
10th September 2009, 19:40

others milage may vary

How so? This was a bill EVERYONE knew would come due. I'll ask again. Did you really believe that these chassis were on permanent loan to the teams?

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 19:51
How so? This was a bill EVERYONE knew would come due. I'll ask again. Did you really believe that these chassis were on permanent loan to the teams?

are you suggesting this isnt the first time?

the IRL has been directly supporting teams for its entire excistance.... as far as I can tell this is in fact the first time a 'Loan' of this type has been called in?

clearly you want to see this as an isolated circumstance... me?... not so much

I find it curios that besides operating the summer events at the speedway... this appears to be one of if not the first official order of biz by the new folks in charge..... the fact they are bean counters makes it telling IMO...

garyshell
10th September 2009, 20:00

why so bitter gary

Bitter? Once again Kreskin, you THINK you can read my emotions. You can't. As if you REALLY were hoping I was having a great day. Yeah, sure, I'm believing that.

Gary

chuck34
10th September 2009, 20:03
are you suggesting this isnt the first time?

the IRL has been directly supporting teams for its entire excistance.... as far as I can tell this is in fact the first time a 'Loan' of this type has been called in?

clearly you want to see this as an isolated circumstance... me?... not so much

I find it curios that besides operating the summer events at the speedway... this appears to be one of if not the first official order of biz by the new folks in charge..... the fact they are bean counters makes it telling IMO...

Who else has recieved a free chassis, besides the ex-ChampCar teams?

Read the quotes from your own article, this wasn't unexpected AT ALL.

"We had a free car in '08 and we got an extension for this year so I've been expecting this for some time and I have no complaint with it, it's fair," said Bachelart,

SarahFan
10th September 2009, 20:18
Who else has recieved a free chassis, besides the ex-ChampCar teams?

Read the quotes from your own article, this wasn't unexpected AT ALL.

are you suggesting teams haven't received help in some form or fashion over the past decede and 1/2?

and i have not suggested anyone is upset or believes the IRL is out of line...

I just believe this is a clear cut case of the new IRL bean counters tightening the purse strings

maybe you dont... thats cool... and i still hope gary is having a nice day

chuck34
10th September 2009, 20:32
are you suggesting teams haven't received help in some form or fashion over the past decede and 1/2?

No. I keep hearing that, and I have no reason to doubt it. On the other hand, without know who got what deal, the terms of said deal, and the outcome of said deal, I have no way of judging if this "new deal" is any different. Do you?

and i have not suggested anyone is upset or believes the IRL is out of line...

You were suggesting that this wasn't on the way, and therefore unexpected.

I just believe this is a clear cut case of the new IRL bean counters tightening the purse strings

No this is calling in a debt that is owed. "Tightening the purse strings" would be if something that was promised is now not going to be paid out. As Nick suggested, if they decided not to pay the TEAM money next year, that would be tightening.

maybe you dont... thats cool... and i still hope gary is having a nice day

I'm having a good day, if you care. :-)

Jag_Warrior
10th September 2009, 20:51
I have no opinion on whether or not this is a sign of purse strings being tightened. But reading over the comments from the owners and how this was communicated says to me that this was purely an Amateur Hour deal.

Request for payment communicated by email?![/*:m:1hb31aeb]
Apparently no clear payment terms were established when the deal was made.[/*:m:1hb31aeb]
Is this agreement even in writing?[/*:m:1hb31aeb]
Owner with 2003/2004 car doesn't know what he's paying for.[/*:m:1hb31aeb]Sounds like some people sold and some people bought a pig in a poke to me.

DBell
10th September 2009, 21:23
I have no opinion on whether or not this is a sign of purse strings being tightened. But reading over the comments from the owners and how this was communicated says to me that this was purely an Amateur Hour deal.

Request for payment communicated by email?![/*:m:xlx4xg8u]
Apparently no clear payment terms were established when the deal was made.[/*:m:xlx4xg8u]
Is this agreement even in writing?[/*:m:xlx4xg8u]
Owner with 2003/2004 car doesn't know what he's paying for.[/*:m:xlx4xg8u]Sounds like some people sold and some people bought a pig in a poke to me.

I was thinking along these lines also. With the kind of money involved here, it's hard to believe that papers weren't signed with payment due dates plainly spelled out. If an owner bought a 3-4 year old car and is paying the same as others paid for a new one, then pig in a poke indeed.

grungex
11th September 2009, 04:57
What if the e-mails requesting payment ended up in the recipients' spam folders?

Lousada
11th September 2009, 09:35
I thought they said at the beginning of the year that no team was on welfare anymore. Yet half the grid drove free cars. I don't think this is really a big deal though, 100.000 on a budget of 3.000.000 or so.

Chamoo
11th September 2009, 15:31
I thought they said at the beginning of the year that no team was on welfare anymore. Yet half the grid drove free cars. I don't think this is really a big deal though, 100.000 on a budget of 3.000.000 or so.

Welfare and continuing a deal that was struck in 2008 are different things. The deal was struck in 2008 to assure that no team would be screwed when trying to move into the IRL. The one thing that is hard to get your hands on last minute is a chassis.

Continuing that deal is not welfare, simply just not calling in the loan. Teams were prepared to pay it back, as quoted by a few former CC team owners.

nigelred5
11th September 2009, 17:55
What if the e-mails requesting payment ended up in the recipients' spam folders?

Then it would be pig in a can.