PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 difficulties

52Paddy
6th September 2009, 22:49
I bought a new PC yesterday with Windows 7. I've been having difficulties running a handful of games. Maybe some of you can offer solutions in order to get them to run correctly. I'll list the games and problems associated with each one.

Colin McRae 2: I think it's a graphics problem or something. The game works fine right up until I begin the stage. When it goes to the start line, the screen suddenly turns blue-green (menu colour) and I can't see the car. I tried it on high and low detail settings. I also tried changing the resolution from 800x600 to 1360x768 (within the game) which is my moniter's resolution. On top of that, I switched the compatibility to "XP Service Pack 3," but all to no avail :(

GT Legends and TRD3: After the game installed the components, I clicked on the icon. A prompt appeared saying "You must have administrative privileges to run this game." But I am the administrator. I've only got one account on the PC, the admin one! At one point, they accepted me as admin and said I needed to reboot the computer to complete installtion (both games did this.) When I rebooted it, a setup fixing menu appeared saying that something needed to be fixed on the system. I let it do its automatic fixing and when it restarted the games were gone. In fact, it must have done a system restore because all of the latest programmes I installed just disappeared off the system. :confused:

Richard Burns Rally: Initially, it would randomly crash to the desktop during play. Then it stopped for a while but happened again much later. No reason was given. A windows prompt appeared telling me that rbr.exe stopped responding for an unknown reason.

Other than that, I've only tried Mobil 1 Rally Championship, which didn't pose any problems. Though, I wasn't playing it for too long anyway.

Here is some specs to go on:

Processor: AMD Phenom II - 3.1x2GHz
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800GT w/1GB RAM
Moniter: Samsung something-or-other. It has resolution of 1360x768 (or something like that) and contrast ratio 50000:1

Maybe the problem is that Windows 7 isn't being recognised, but I have changed the compatibility for some of the games to "XP Service Pack 3."

Another problem worth noting is that I was told the PC came with a 500GB hard-drive but in the "My Computer" screen, I'm being told its full capacity is 107GB :mark:

Sorry for going on, but this is beginning to bug me. Any help is very much appreciated.

GaryG
12th October 2009, 13:36
I only know of Gt Legends, but you are not going to be able to run the game at all due to the Starforce protection. Support for GT Legends ended with Vista and there are no plans to do an upgrade. I was going to "upgrade" to 7 but now have decided to stick with Vista for the forseeable future.

Bruce D
12th October 2009, 14:38
Google for that admin privileges thing. I had that problem running GP4 on Vista, there is some wierd thing with them that thinks that even though your the admin you still need admin rights. Welcome to Micro$oft.

GaryG
12th October 2009, 19:46
To run as an asministrator, right click on the program icon, select proprties and there should be a checkbox to run as admin.

Bruce D
13th October 2009, 06:38
That makes no difference with most games though, for some reason.