PDA

View Full Version : Tea or Dinner?

wedge
3rd September 2009, 15:38
I still can't fathom the idea of eating egg and chips and 5 o' clock in the early evening.

MrJan
3rd September 2009, 19:01
Dinner, and it should be after 6 at least. We don't usually eat until about 7:20 and if it was up to me then it would be even later.

GridGirl
3rd September 2009, 21:42
I inter change between dinner and tea but come to think of it I also use the word dinner instead of lunch. Dinner or tea is usually after 6.30 as I dont finish work till 5.30. I don't like to eat after 9.00 too often as I never sleep well if I eat late.

BDunnell
3rd September 2009, 21:45
Thinking about it, I tend to talk about having 'tea' if I am at home in the evening, no matter what the time is, but go out for 'dinner'.

Drew
3rd September 2009, 23:06
Tea prefereably quite late by english standards at about 8pm or maybe later depending on what i'm doing. But when i'm at home with the family it's normally 6:30pm or 7pm.

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd September 2009, 23:20
Breakfast - anytime before noon.
Lunch (dinner in the north) - anytime from noon till 2.
'Three o clocks'
Dinner (Tea in the north) - anytime from 5 till 6
Supper - 9 till 10.

Drew
3rd September 2009, 23:23
Breakfast - anytime before noon.
Lunch (dinner in the north) - anytime from noon till 2.
'Three o clocks'
Dinner (Tea in the north) - anytime from 5 till 6
Supper - 9 till 10.

I also call lunch dinner, even though I'm from dan saff

J4MIE
3rd September 2009, 23:59
I use both tea and dinner, they mean the same to me whatever time around then you have it. I eat when I get in from work at about 7.30pm weekdays :(

Donney
4th September 2009, 08:23
And it is so confusing when you are visiting that lovely country of yours people, and you don't know what you are referring to when talking about tea dinner or supper... :(

MrJan
4th September 2009, 09:28
I also call lunch dinner, even though I'm from dan saff

That's just because you Janners are a funny breed :p : :D

It actually seems to be quite common for people round here to call it tea but I think that generally it's a North/South thing :)

veeten
5th September 2009, 02:16
Hmmmm... must be a British thing. :)

schmenke
8th September 2009, 23:04
At the schmenke-shack we just refer to it as "feeding time" :mark:

Mark
9th September 2009, 08:06
Dinner is around 6pm-ish.

When I were a lad my Mum used to have dinner on the table at 6.30pm for my Dad coming back from work.

Unfortunately my friends used to have their 'tea' at about 5pm after coming in from school so always called for me at about 6 and I wasn't allowed out!

TheFamousEccles
9th September 2009, 08:10
Dinner and Tea are interchangeable in many Oz households, too. Regardless of the time. :)

Robinho
9th September 2009, 10:00
lunch at lunch time, except at the weekends when it might be dinner.

dinner in the evenings - normally about 7pm, although my GF asks me what i want for Tea i still think of it as dinner. Tea is when you only have sandwiches or cake or something, or if you have it earlier

Hazell B
15th September 2009, 18:49
Dinner and tea - I'm a four times a day eater :p :

Typical day would be breakfast before 9, lunch whenever I get hungry (about 2pm onwards) then tea when I have more hunger pangs at about 5 or 6 and dinner as a main meal about 8 or 9ish. We eat later than most, and more than most I guess, but that's just our schedule with my work and his shifts.

Thinking about it, we call both lunch and dinner, dinner :crazy:

steve_spackman
15th September 2009, 21:19
My US side of the family used to get confused sometimes when i ask whats for tea..One response i sometimes got out of jest was " i thought you Brits drank the stuff not ate it"?

Mark in Oshawa
15th September 2009, 21:32
My US side of the family used to get confused sometimes when i ask whats for tea..One response i sometimes got out of jest was " i thought you Brits drank the stuff not ate it"?

That is a logical question Steve....

I am with Schmenke, as a kid it was feeding time at the zoo.....

Easy Drifter
16th September 2009, 15:02
Hey its grub time.
Breakfast. Throw a pound of Bacon on with half a dozen eggs, pan fries, 4 slices of toast and maybe a small 6oz steak and a gallon of black coffee. If the horseshoe floats it is strong enough.
Lunch. A couple of 8 oz Buffalo burgers, a pile of fries or poutine and another gallon of the morning coffee.
Supper. A medium sized steak, 16 oz. of buffalo, elk or moose, a half pound of baked potatoes with whipped cream and butter and a half doz. cobs of corn along with another gallon of coffee which should be strong enough to melt the spoon with a gallon of shine for an after dinner drink.
A real treat is a bear steak, maybe 20 oz.

And if you believe that I have some nice property for sale 'in' the Bay of Fundy that only gets damp twice a day.

steve_spackman
16th September 2009, 21:09
That is a logical question Steve....

:rolleyes: