PDA

View Full Version : iRacing to launch full IndyCar series game this fall

NickFalzone
1st September 2009, 20:50
I've never tried iRacing but they're supposed to be one of the best track simulators around, so much that guys like Scheckter and Wilson use them to learn new courses. According to this video starting in the fall they'll have the 500 and the rest of the 2009 schedule of tracks available to play online with competitors. This new software has been designed by laser imaging of each course layout, down to the inch at Indy. And the car handling is realistic as well as they worked closely with Dallara to design the physics, and the car is based on the newest version of the chassis:

http://indycar.neulion.com/indy/console.jsp?catid=11&id=573

garyshell
1st September 2009, 21:12
Looks great but...

If you look at the list of tracks and cars there is one list that is available when you sign up. And there appears to be another list that is available for an extra fee. But nowhere on the site are you able to find out what those extra fees are.

What a SLEAZY marketing tactic. Hey buy a airline ticket to our beautiful resort, when you get here we will tell you how much it costs to stay for a week.

I just sent them an email to see what the response is to this.

Gary

redmist
2nd September 2009, 00:37
Looks great but...

If you look at the list of tracks and cars there is one list that is available when you sign up. And there appears to be another list that is available for an extra fee. But nowhere on the site are you able to find out what those extra fees are.

What a SLEAZY marketing tactic. Hey buy a airline ticket to our beautiful resort, when you get here we will tell you how much it costs to stay for a week.

I just sent them an email to see what the response is to this.

Gary

cars are $15 each and the tracks range from $15 to $25. there are also various discounts, 10% off if you buy 3 items, 20% for six and other subscribtion deals. it's pricy but worth it in my opinion.

garyshell
2nd September 2009, 01:25
cars are $15 each and the tracks range from $15 to $25. there are also various discounts, 10% off if you buy 3 items, 20% for six and other subscribtion deals. it's pricy but worth it in my opinion.

But I wonder why they don't make any of this known untll after you pay to sign up. I think its pretty sleazy marketing.

Gary

NickFalzone
2nd September 2009, 01:39
Do you have to pay another $15 if you wreck the car?

redmist
2nd September 2009, 03:40
Do you have to pay another $15 if you wreck the car?

nope, you only pay for items once. if you let your subscription lapse and then re-subscribe later all the stuff you've bought is there waiting for you.

jwhite9185
2nd September 2009, 18:43
Think ill stick to rfactor for the moment...

Marbles
2nd September 2009, 20:54
Looks somewhat pricey. It would be nice if they had some sort of time limited demo you could try out first. So can anyone here offer an opinion on it? What's the game play (and fellow players) like? How are the graphics (minimum specs are pretty old)?

NEAT! I didn't know you could watch old races on Indycar. I just watched 1984 Mid-Ohio race from beginning to end. It looks like a high quality VHS conversion!

DBell
2nd September 2009, 22:42
Looks somewhat pricey. It would be nice if they had some sort of time limited demo you could try out first. So can anyone here offer an opinion on it? What's the game play (and fellow players) like? How are the graphics (minimum specs are pretty old)?

I looked into subscribing about a year ago, but decided not to. I got a chance to try it out at a friends over a weekend and was very impressed with the sim itself. I've driven most racing sims that have come out for the PC and this was by far the best one in terms of driving physics. But when I took in all the information I could find, I decided it wasn't for me. It seems to be mostly for the super hardcore sim racer and a lot of the people doing it take it way too seriously. My friend no longer subscribes and found for the mid level driver the online races weren't much fun. He said he would end up racing his shadow most of the time with really fast guys way ahead of him and the slower guys way behind him. If your one of the fast guys, then I understand the racing is better. You need a pretty high spec machine to be able to run this well. Another reason I decided not to join. My 2.8 processor was below the dual core 3.2 they recommended.

If you want to check out a place that you can learn more about iRacing, try racesimcentral.com. Go to the forum and you'll find iRacing under the Sports and Touring Car section. There is a thread about the Indycar release and another good one on why people aren't subscribing to iRacing.

MDS
3rd September 2009, 13:22

Same here. I Don't have a league at the moment though.

bblocker68
3rd September 2009, 16:30
Guess I'll be the info guy.

You can get a 1 month trial offer for cheap. The IndyCar's are not here yet. I think we'll see the official series in November:
1 month for $5. Go to https://members.iracing.com/membersite/SubscriptionChoices.do Then type “PR-GAMESPOT”

If you do a Google search, you can find a ton of Promotional material.

IndyCar tracks available:
Road America
Homestead-Miami Speedway
Barber Motorsports Park
Infineon Raceway
Sebring International Raceway
Watkins Glen International
Kansas Speedway
The Milwaukee Mile
Chicagoland Speedway
Homestead-Miami Speedway
Texas Motor Speedway

Tracks coming up:
Indy (this month)
Long Beach

Possible IndyCar tracks:
Zandvooort (coming)
Silverstone
Brands Hatch (coming)
Auto Club Speedway
New Hampshire Motor Speedway
Mosport International Raceway (coming)

and a few others.

I was wary when I was asked to beta test, but I've been there since lasy May and I'm still having a blast. I've gone back and tried rFactor and Race/GTR Evolution, but I come right back.

Were driving the Lotus79 right now and I'm having a blast.

With the IndyCar announcement and the potential for leagues coming in November, I'll be here for a while.

bblocker68
3rd September 2009, 16:53
Crap, I forgot that Laguna Seca could be a possible track too.

garyshell
3rd September 2009, 17:09
No Mid-Ohio???

Gary

bblocker68
3rd September 2009, 20:35
I think it's been scanned, but I'm not positive.

Here, Tim Wheatley just put this out for a FREE trial for a month, including the Skip Barber car and VIR. There is a COT promo too.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=128241125479&ref=mf

penske15
4th September 2009, 00:06
it looks pretty intense. i'd have to try a freebie before i could commit to it.

Chamoo
22nd September 2009, 18:23
So you would recommend this over the rFactor? I quite enjoy rFactor and enjoy the graphics. I know this iRacing has gotten high praise, but rFactor was build with the opportunity to build mods in mind.

Is it worth the 5$ per month compared to the free rFactor?

DBell
23rd September 2009, 14:39
So you would recommend this over the rFactor? I quite enjoy rFactor and enjoy the graphics. I know this iRacing has gotten high praise, but rFactor was build with the opportunity to build mods in mind.

Is it worth the 5$ per month compared to the free rFactor?

Keep in mind that you still have to buy cars and tracks for this sim and that can easily add up to hundreds of dollars. If you like mods, then rFactor is the way to go because there aren't going to be any mods for iRacing.

The only way to know if it's for you is to give the free trial a go and see if it will be worth the money you'll need to spend to enjoy the game. For me, I'm trying to wait patiently for the 44 mile Targa Florio track to be released for GPL, not to mention the full size Isle of Mann track that will be out in the future. In the end, it's (GPL) still the sim that keeps me coming back. :)

bblocker68
23rd September 2009, 17:14
Chamoo, it matters how big of a commitment you are willing to make. If you are practicing and racing more than a couple of times a week, I would say iRacing is worth it. If you are a casual racer, then rFactor is the way to go. There are a ton of open wheel mods to use and I'm sure there are always Megane races going on in the open servers.

Here's a report on the next update from Steve Myers:
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=iracing&init=quick#/note.php?note_id=139424880479&id=48224116084&ref=mf

ARB and brake bias adjustment are coming, FINALLY!

philipbain
26th September 2009, 08:51

Agreed, the 2009 Indycar mod for rFactor is superb and free.

TURN3
28th September 2009, 01:38
I decided to try this out...I like it a lot. I bought just a cheap little wheel which isn't really giving me the greatest feel so I'm struggling a bit there. Other than that, the game itself, the way it is managed, etc. all great. I sort of feel like Danica because I'm mid pack just keeping it off the wall on ovals but I'm in left field on the rc's...maybe I can get a sponsor and race for AGR with those credentials too!!!!

Seriously, I love it. My goal is to build up my safety rating to advance to higher licenses. I want to be able to race the Indy Cars when the whole series is installed. It is going to take some time, you can't just jump there by taking swim suit pics.

bblocker68
28th September 2009, 17:22
Do some time in the Spec Racer, TURN3. The car is a great trainer and you'll really get a feel for the game with it. Just watch the off-throttle oversteer :) The Skip Barber reacts much in the same way. If the car feels "oversteery", just pump some extra air in the front tires. It really helps put understeer back into the car.