PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR V Yellow Flag.

NASCAR8
20th February 2007, 09:36
First off, the 2007 Daytona 500 was the best ever! And i have seen quite afew.I was at the Pepsi 400 last year and i wish i could have swopped tickets for the 500.
But hey, what about that last lap crash! No yellow ( the right call i think), but NASCAR should at least show some consistency. They threw the yellow afew years back at Talladega on the last lap just as Dale Jr passed J Gordon. But they said he was not in front when the flag came down. Gordon gets the win and a couple of hundred Bud cans thrown his way!
So what do you think? Let them race on the last lap no matter what, or toss the yellow? :vader: :vader:

ShiftingGears
20th February 2007, 09:53
The principle applies to most bodies of motor racing really.

If its really for safety and they believe there will be as great a risk on the last lap as when they throw yellows at other times and they don't show them, then its probably negligence on their part. However if they didn't use a yellow flag, then MAYBE they should reassess the other times which they put out yellow flags.

There was no yellow flag in the final stages of the Bathurst 1000 last year when there was a crash (there were already 10 safety cars) as a safety car deployment would've meant that the race would've finished behind a safety car. Now if they can afford to take those risks in the final stages of a race, I'm thinking that maybe motor racing codes need to reassess the necessity and use of safety cars/yellow flags in other situations, not just near the end of motor races. My take on it anyway. Personally I hate safety cars or breaks in racing, but thats just me.

RaceFanStan
20th February 2007, 14:00
I think throwing the yellow flag on the last lap only causes confusion.
Once the white flag waves & a crash occurs, the race should finish under green if possible.
UNLESS the track is completely blocked the spotters can get the drivers thru the crash site.
After the checkered flag, the drivers slow on the cool-down lap anyway.

With a green-white-checker finish, the stage is set for a 2 lap shoot-out & a crash is likely.
The drivers are aware of the danger & yet most of the drivers will GO for the best finish they can get.
I'm sure they don't want a race to finish under yellow, I know I don't.

NASCARWidow
20th February 2007, 14:21
If the field is spread out enough that a yellow flag would do some good, throw it no matter who is where, but Sunday it wasn't going to make much difference-everyone was already in the wreck that was going to be in it and not throwing the flag meant a great finish to an otherwise boring race.

kelloggs5TLfan
20th February 2007, 15:57
If the field is spread out enough that a yellow flag would do some good, throw it no matter who is where, but Sunday it wasn't going to make much difference-everyone was already in the wreck that was going to be in it and not throwing the flag meant a great finish to an otherwise boring race.

I thought it was a boring race too.

DonnieB
20th February 2007, 17:54
Throwing the yellow would have meant cleaning up the mess and realigning the cars for yet another GWC dash, which would have had no effect on the post-race whining, other than changing the direction the whine comes from.

Jonesi
20th February 2007, 19:23
Throwing the yellow would have meant cleaning up the mess and realigning the cars for yet another GWC dash, which would have had no effect on the post-race whining, other than changing the direction the whine comes from.

No it wouldn't. When they went to the GWC rule, they stated that there would only be one GWC, if the yellow came out again the race would finish that way.

harvick#1
20th February 2007, 19:35
yeah the Truck series ruined that rule :p :

the GWC was only at first in the Truck series, and I think it was at Gateway, when everytime they went to green, someone wrecked, I think it was 6 or 7 times they tried the GWC. after that, Nascar made a rule that there was only going to be one attempt

BobbyC
20th February 2007, 19:36
Some codes (ARCA) have an unlimited GWC rule. Last year, an ARCA race ran very long because of nearly 25 laps caused by cautions waving during a GWC.

call_me_andrew
21st February 2007, 07:09
No yellow ( the right call i think), but NASCAR should at least show some consistency.

To Hell with consistency. They have to get something right before they can afford to worry about being consistant.

And NASCAR usually lets the races stay green when a crash happens late anyway. Stop looking at just plate races, you'll notice that trend has been around. I think throwing the yellow would have kept some cars out of the wreck. I don't care who wins the race, I just don't want to see a pile up at the finish.

I'd rather have a 10 second margin of victory than a 10 car pile up. That way, if I need to try promoting the racing to OW fans, they'll atleast respect the drivers as not being crash dummies.

Cole_Trickle
21st February 2007, 08:10
While I liked it that they didn't throw the yellow, I'm not sure Bowyer would have ended up on his roof if they had. On the incar replay when cars were spinning everywhere, he was bumping into the back of Ragana fair bit, though I'm not sure that would have stopped if it went yellow..

I don't think they went yellow at Talladega last yr when Vickers pushed Johnson into Jr on the last lap?

Peter Olivola
21st February 2007, 15:13
Mike Joy, on Windtunnel, had it right. Throwing the yellow would have made the carnage worse. I think NASCAR got this one very right.

Mark in Oshawa
21st February 2007, 16:27
I think they should be more consistent, for that Talladega incident gave a race win to Gordon then, and if applied here would have gone to Martin. That said, the right outcome did result, so if in the future, a simliar situation arises, they should let events play out as Stan argues. If they don't, then I really will think they are out to get Mark Martin!!

ms0362
23rd February 2007, 04:33

There's only one attempt at a GWC finish. The race is over if the yellow comes out. We've seen enough of them (20 in the last two years).

tstran17_88
24th February 2007, 07:27
Mike Joy, on Windtunnel, had it right. Throwing the yellow would have made the carnage worse. I think NASCAR got this one very right.

Mike Joy barely gets anything right...he's a hack, but a hack with a lot of NASCAR experience now and I listen to his opinion more so than I will some of the morons that Speed, Fox and now ESPN has thrown at us. But that’s hearsay.

Anybody who watched the race...Harvick & Martin fans aside, could realize that even if NASCAR would have thrown the yellow flag as soon as Kyle Busch tagged Kenseth, by the time it would have been sent down to the on the track officials...Happy and Mark would have been crossing the start/finish and Matt, Biff & Gilliland would be sliding on top of each other down pit road and KB would have been wherever he was and this all happened before Boyer was upside down.